U.S mattress company sparks outrage with 9/11 sale advert

gregjrichards

Reaction score
"A mattress company has been forced to apologise after releasing a grossly distasteful advert promoting its 'Twin Tower' sale to 'remember 9/11' .

Miracle Mattress posted a video showing three members of staff in front of two 'towers' of stacked mattresses.

Cherise Bonanno, manager of the store in San Antonio, Texas, tells customers they can get any size mattress for a twin price.

The shocking clip ends with the two employees falling into the mattress towers, causing them to topple over as Bonanno screams."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/mattress-company-sparks-outrage-911-8797123

This is horrendous, extremely distasteful and and an insult to the men, women and children that died on this tragic and horrific day.

I'm pleased to report this store has closed indefinitely due to the death threats and disgust the employees have received. I do not condone any physical or verbal threats to the employees but they have made a serious error of judgement which will have long lasting effects.

I read about this earlier today and viewed their incredibly bad commercial - talk about poor taste in content and judgement. I'm glad too see that this store has now been closed, that's all I'd better say about this matter.

I'm pleased to report this store has closed indefinitely due to the death threats and disgust the employees have received. I do not condone any physical or verbal threats to the employees but they have made a serious error of judgement which will have long lasting effects.

I read that they will be closed until after the anniversary. If they open again, I hope it is with a new manager. Unfortunately, I am sure if their prices are right, they will be selling mattresses again soon. People have short attention spans when it comes to cost over ethics.

I'm pleased to report this store has closed indefinitely due to the death threats and disgust the employees have received.

i think this is over reacting, people make mistakes,

why be so judgemental?.....is anybody perfect?....no

they made a mistake and apologized for it,

if i lived in that city, this would not prevent me from shopping there

The woman in this horrifically insulting video has been reported to be the store owner's daughter.

IMO - mistakes are things that you really didn't want/mean to happen, but your actions led to the end result - and I make mistakes all the time.

These three took the time to plan their talking points and their actions out, then filmed it, and then paid to air this abomination of a commercial, which, to me, was clearly designed to play on the misery of that day. Their chosen actions mock the almost 3K innocent people murdered by those cowards on 9/11. IMO2 - this was not a mistake, or an oopsy, or a "sorry about that" situation.

http://time.com/4486123/mattress-company-911-commercial-closes/

"The 20-second commercial shows three employees enthusiastically offering any size mattress for the price of a twin-size one. “What better way to remember 9/11 than with a Twin Tower sale?” a woman says. Two men then fall over backwards, knocking over two towers of mattresses. “We’ll never forget,” the woman says."

Judgemental? These morons put their commercial on the air for all to see - so too bad on them that they're now feeling the deep and wide reaching wrath of all those who are offend by their actions.

I question their mentality.
NOT just a "mistake".

Tomorrow is going to be another difficult day for so many... I don't know what the survivors and family members have gone through, and will still have to get through another day on tomorrow's anniversary of the tragedy -- because I've been lucky enough to not lose a loved one to murder !!!
You do not make fun of people who've been brutally slaughtered. Smdh.
I hope they go out of business.

What were they thinking? How does this slip by? Anyways, no sympathy for them. They brought it onto themselves.

This one looks shady to me. I wonder if it is a front group for money laundry.

I have rarely seen businesses that shut down because of shaming.

What were they thinking? How does this slip by? Anyways, no sympathy for them. They brought it onto themselves.

This one looks shady to me. I wonder if it is a front group for money laundry.

I have rarely seen businesses that shut down because of shaming.

A Texas Taxable Entity search reveals that Miracle Mattress's Franchise Tax Involuntarily Ended.

Taxable Entity Search - Texas Comptroller eSystems
https://mycpa.cpa.state.tx.us/coa/

That does not look good. I suspect that 9/11 advertising was not the sole reason to close indefinitely.

A Texas Taxable Entity search reveals that Miracle Mattress's Franchise Tax Involuntarily Ended.

Taxable Entity Search - Texas Comptroller eSystems
https://mycpa.cpa.state.tx.us/coa/

That does not look good. I suspect that 9/11 advertising was not the sole reason to close indefinitely.

What does it mean? I don't understand a thing about US taxes beyond the basics lol.

What does it mean? I don't understand a thing about US taxes beyond the basics lol.

It means the corporation failed to pay its franchise tax. Not all states in the US have a franchise tax, Texas does. A corporation is required to pay a franchise tax (usually once a year) to all states that they do business in if the state does have one. A franchise tax is charged for the privilege of doing business in that state. If your tax becomes delinquent you can become disqualified from doing business in that state. Once you bring your tax up to date you're in business again.

Hope that helps. :)

I would bet my last cent that whomever came up with this atrocity of an ad is someone who was too young on 9-11-2001 to truly relate to the horror that took place.

It's like the bumper sticker I saw on a car parked near my workplace a few years ago that said 'Lee Harvey Oswald, where are You? we need you.' I put note on the windshield telling them they were offending a lot of people and it was removed. That person probably wasn't even born when JFK was killed. It seems incredible but sometimes you have to explain to people that this stuff is offensive.

I would bet my last cent that whomever came up with this atrocity of an ad is someone who was too young on 9-11-2001 to truly relate to the horror that took place.

It's like the bumper sticker I saw on a car parked near my workplace a few years ago that said 'Lee Harvey Oswald, where are You? we need you.' I put note on the windshield telling them they were offending a lot of people and it was removed. That person probably wasn't even born when JFK was killed. It seems incredible but sometimes you have to explain to people that this stuff is offensive.
I remember listening to a local radio station the night of 9-11-2001 and a teenage girl called in, extremely upset because some teenage boys on her bus on the way home from school were laughing about the incident. Those teens would be young adults now and I doubt they have yet learned to relate to the pain and suffering of others. IMO, the people who developed the ad may remember 9/11, but are in that category because they feel disconnected from the events of that day.

This past Saturday night, I heard and saw fireworks in my neighborhood. I hate fireworks to begin with, because I have neurological damage from an injury to my spine, and loud sudden noises cause my spinal nerves to misfire. But, I was also admittedly unsettled by the idea it was a precursory celebration of 9/11. I finally remembered that 9/11 had been pronounced Patriot Day, but it seemed counterintuitive that people would commemorate the day with explosives. KWIM? Anyway, IMO the advertising staff at the mattress store probably began with the thought of taking advantage of the day by promoting a twin mattress sale to seem patriot and clever at the same time, and soon things got way out of control (I pictured them sitting around a board room after work hours, drinking; uh, yeah, I worked for a company where bottles of alcohol were stored in the executive kitchen). IMO, I'm not so sure a holiday surrounding 9/11 is such a good idea, especially this soon afterwards. Holidays tend to lose their meaning quickly, giving jerks an excuse to be even jerkier, and 9/11 is much too fresh in the minds of most Americans. I suppose, though, some businesses and individuals are going to use that date to their advantage when they see opportunity, whether or not it's declared a holiday. JMO

It means the corporation failed to pay its franchise tax. Not all states in the US have a franchise tax, Texas does. A corporation is required to pay a franchise tax (usually once a year) to all states that they do business in if the state does have one. A franchise tax is charged for the privilege of doing business in that state. If your tax becomes delinquent you can become disqualified from doing business in that state. Once you bring your tax up to date you're in business again.

Hope that helps. :)

Yes, very much! Thank you!

I remember listening to a local radio station the night of 9-11-2001 and a teenage girl called in, extremely upset because some teenage boys on her bus on the way home from school were laughing about the incident. Those teens would be young adults now and I doubt they have yet learned to relate to the pain and suffering of others. IMO, the people who developed the ad may remember 9/11, but are in that category because they feel disconnected from the events of that day.

This past Saturday night, I heard and saw fireworks in my neighborhood. I hate fireworks to begin with, because I have neurological damage from an injury to my spine, and loud sudden noises cause my spinal nerves to misfire. But, I was also admittedly unsettled by the idea it was a precursory celebration of 9/11. I finally remembered that 9/11 had been pronounced Patriot Day, but it seemed counterintuitive that people would commemorate the day with explosives. KWIM? Anyway, IMO the advertising staff at the mattress store probably began with the thought of taking advantage of the day by promoting a twin mattress sale to seem patriot and clever at the same time, and soon things got way out of control (I pictured them sitting around a board room after work hours, drinking; uh, yeah, I worked for a company where bottles of alcohol were stored in the executive kitchen). IMO, I'm not so sure a holiday surrounding 9/11 is such a good idea, especially this soon afterwards. Holidays tend to lose their meaning quickly, giving jerks an excuse to be even jerkier, and 9/11 is much too fresh in the minds of most Americans. I suppose, though, some businesses and individuals are going to use that date to their advantage when they see opportunity, whether or not it's declared a holiday. JMO

I do not like the idea making 9/11 a holiday.

Miracle Mattress owner issues plans to reopen after disrespectful 9/11 advertisement
http://www.ksat.com/news/miracle-mattress-owner-issues-apology-after-disrespectful-911-advertisement

SAN ANTONIO - Miracle Mattress, the store responsible for advertising a spoof of the 9/11 attack with mattresses, said it wants to apologize for its disrespectful and offensive advertisement.

“Our Miracle Mattress family has struggled with how to respond to the pain we caused and the deserved national outrage over this regrettable decision. Our most important step was to close our doors and remain silent through the 9/11 Anniversary,” the store’s owner, Mike Bonanno, in a statement to KSAT 12 News.

I thought they were closing for good. No?

I saw the video and knew they are going to get shamed big time because of 9/11. I remember right after 9/11, anyone who went a little off got shamed big time (Bill Schrempf, Jennie Traschen, etc.). You would think they would know better with other people who have been shamed recently (eg. Alicia Ann Lynch (Boston Marathon Bombing Victim), Adam Smith (Chick-Fil-A), etc.).

Miracle Mattress owner issues plans to reopen after disrespectful 9/11 advertisement
http://www.ksat.com/news/miracle-mattress-owner-issues-apology-after-disrespectful-911-advertisement

SAN ANTONIO - Miracle Mattress, the store responsible for advertising a spoof of the 9/11 attack with mattresses, said it wants to apologize for its disrespectful and offensive advertisement.

“Our Miracle Mattress family has struggled with how to respond to the pain we caused and the deserved national outrage over this regrettable decision. Our most important step was to close our doors and remain silent through the 9/11 Anniversary,” the store’s owner, Mike Bonanno, in a statement to KSAT 12 News.

I thought they were closing for good. No?

I saw the video and knew they are going to get shamed big time because of 9/11. I remember right after 9/11, anyone who went a little off got shamed big time (Bill Schrempf, Jennie Traschen, etc.). You would think they would know better with other people who have been shamed recently (eg. Alicia Ann Lynch (Boston Marathon Bombing Victim), Adam Smith (Chick-Fil-A), etc.).

Good luck with that I hope the community does not forget what happened. Are the staff who mocked the horrific murder of 3,000 men, women and children still keeping their jobs?

Good luck with that I hope the community does not forget what happened. Are the staff who mocked the horrific murder of 3,000 men, women and children still keeping their jobs?

They had so many gaffes. They should go out of business.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back