AL - Angel Downs, 45, fatally shot, Gulf Shores, 9 May 2010

Mobile must honor Mark Erwin's contract, says county commission president Published: Friday, June 11, 2010, 5:31 AM by Rhoda A. Pickett, Press-Register

Mark Erwin has a contract, and I think the commission is legally obligated to comply with the terms of his contract," Mobile County Commission president Merceria Ludgood said after Thursday's commission conference meeting.

Mobile County Commission President Merceria Ludgood said Thursday that the county "is legally obligated" to honor assistant county attorney Mark Erwin's contract even if no legal work is directed his way.

Erwin lost his bid for Dem DA to Ashley Rich. Erwin and Ross where the ones who took Nodine's guns and gave them to Nodine's atty instead of the police. There's question over the legality of their doing that. There was also Erwin talking to the media and then refusing to testify in Nodine's impeachment. All questinable behavior in my book.

11673022-3ba.jpg

Mike Dean seeks dismissal of Mark Erwin, calls him Stephen Nodine's attorney Published: Thursday, June 10, 2010 by Rhoda A. Pickett, Press-Register
Remember Mike is the other commissioner who had some controversy over calls made to the sheriff about Nodine. He allegedly shares some of Nodine's penchant for women, although married. (This is only rumor) There are links in this thread.

6 Republicans, 1 Democrat seek Stephen Nodine's former county commission seat Published: Thursday, June 10, 2010, 5:30 AM by Rhoda A. Pickett, Press-Register

MOBILE, Ala. -- Six Republicans and one Democrat have qualified to run for the county commission seat formerly held by Stephen Nodine, Mobile County Commission District 2 seat.

Judge gives prosecutors 24 hours to appeal Stephen Nodine release
Published: Monday, June 14, 2010, 2:06 PM by Brendan Kirby, Press-Register

Conditions include:
  • A requirement Nodine live in the Mobile home of John Lynam, afriend who agreed to be a third-party custodian. Nodine can leave thehouse only to work, attend court, visit his lawyer, attend religious services and go to the doctor.
  • That he wear an electronic monitoring device that would alert law enforcement authorities if he tried to leave the house.
  • That he refrain of drinking alcohol and using drugs, and that he submit to random drug tests.
  • That he seek drug or mental health counseling as determined by the U.S. Probation Office.

US Attorney’s Office Appeals Nodine’s Release WKRG.com by Jessica Taloney Published: Mon, June 14, 2010 - 1:59 pm CST

FYI - Nodine will be staying with:

John Lynam - Director Of Workforce Development at Remington College, Mobile, Alabama

Isn't this the college who gave Nodine an honorary degree? There's a link in this thread from Mobile County Commissioner web page.

Stephen Nodine took up to 10 Lortab pills a day, says agent Published: Tuesday, June 15, 2010, 5:30 AM

MOBILE, Ala. -- A federal judge on Monday ordered the release of jailed former Mobile County Commissioner Stephen Nodine but said prosecutors would have 24 hours to appeal.

Nodine made bail earlier this month on a murder charge in Baldwin County but has been held in jail on a federal charge of being a drug abuser in possession of firearms.

U.S. Magistrate Judge William Cassady ruled after a hearing of nearly three hours in Mobile that prosecutors failed to prove that Nodine was a flight risk or posed a community danger, so long as he complied with severe restrictions on his freedom.

One of those restrictions is house arrest with electronic monitoring.

Anthony Calderaro, an agent with the Alabama Bureau of Investigation, provided new details about the drug abuse allegations against Nodine.

Calderaro testified that Nodine, by his own admission to the staff at Mobile Infirmary, was taking up to 10 Lortab pills a day, as much as three times his prescribed limit for the narcotic painkiller. Nodine began taking Lortab to treat pain from a hip injury, according to testimony.

Nodine checked himself in at the hospital May 10, the day after the fatal shooting of his mistress outside her Gulf Shores home. A Baldwin County grand jury later indicted him on a murder charge in connection with the death of Angel Downs.

When Nodine entered the hospital, Calderaro testified, he was suffering from severe depression.

"He was distressed," Calderaro said. "He was diagnosed as being suicidal. He had major depression. He was treated for opiate withdrawal and drug and substance abuse."

Also while hospitalized, according to Calderaro, Nodine admitted to smoking one or two marijuana cigarettes every weekend to control his mood.

Defense lawyer Gordon Armstrong disputed Calderaro's account. He said nothing in the medical records support the claim that Nodine told the staff that he took 10 Lortabs every day or that he smoked marijuana frequently.

Nodine has taken four drug tests this year. He passed the first, according to the result that another of his lawyers released in January. That test was conducted under the supervision of his physician, Dr. Lisa Burch.

But Calderaro testified that Nodine tested positive for opiates and marijuana when he entered Mobile Infirmary. He also tested positive for marijuana on May 17 and May 19 during tests required as a condition of his bail on a marijuana possession charge in Mobile County Circuit Court.

Calderaro testified that he began investigating Nodine after an employee at the county garage found a small amount of marijuana, rolling papers and a lighter inside Nodine's government-issued pickup truck Dec. 23.

The marijuana was inside a bottle for a Lortab prescription that had been filled for Nodine in Monterey, Calif., Calderaro testified.

A second Lortab bottle in the truck still had pills in it. Nodine had filled that prescription for 100 pills on Dec. 22, Calderaro said. Twenty-one pills were missing from the bottle.

Calderaro testified that Nodine obtained 2,447 Lortab pills over an 11-month period -- an average of seven a day -- from four different doctors and 10 separate pharmacies in eight cities.

But Armstrong said Nodine was not "doctor shopping." He said his client got one small prescription for Lortab from a doctor in California when he was attending a homeland security conference last year.

Nodine also obtained a small prescription from a dentist and doses from Burch and a new physician, Dr. Todd Elmore.

Elmore's patient notes, Armstrong said, indicate that he knew about the other prescriptions and discussed Nodine's treatment with Burch.

Conditions of release

U.S. Magistrate Judge William Cassady ordered that former Mobile County Commissioner Stephen Nodine be released from jail on the following conditions -- many of which are also conditions of his bail on a Baldwin County murder charge:

• He must live in the Mobile home of John Lynam, a friend who agreed to be a third-party custodian. Lynam is director of work force development at Remington College.
  • Nodine can leave the house only to work, attend court, visit his lawyer, attend religious services and go to the doctor. Defense lawyer Gordon Armstrong said Nodine has been offered a job by a Mobile construction contractor.
  • He must wear an electronic monitoring device that would alert law enforcement authorities if he tried to leave the house.
  • He cannot drink alcohol or use drugs, and he must submit to random drug tests.
  • He must seek drug or mental health counseling as determined by the U.S. Probation Office.

Feds willing to release Nodine on bond Updated: Tuesday, 15 Jun 2010, 9:34 AM CDT

Clipped for length:
The government called on an ABI agent to claim that Nodine received more than 2,000 hydrocodone/lortab pills through several different pharmacies from four different doctors. The government claims Nodine had an addiction during the time he possessed two firearms. Federal prosecutors claim Nodine is a risk.

"There was never any witness which is what is required. A witness has to come forward and say he is a danger to me, he is a threat to somebody and he's not. There is no evidence of that," Gordon Armstrong, who is representing Nodine on the federal charge, said.

The judge said if Nodine is released, he must avoid arrest, and must live with John Lynam. Nodine cannot possess a firearm and he can only travel within Mobile and Baldwin Counties and must submit to electronic monitoring.

If the appeal is denied, Nodine could be released from federal custody by noon Tuesday.

Monday's action is separate from the state charges facing Nodine.

He remains in the Baldwin County Jail under $250,000 bond.

Angel Downs accused Stephen Nodine of trying to kill her months before shooting Published: Tuesday, June 15, 2010, 5:00 PM by Brendan Kirby, Press-Register

Downs and Nodine's emails released by Chasity Byrd Jun 15, 2010 10:46 p.m.

FOX10 News has obtained some frightening emails between former Mobile County Commissioner Steve Nodine and his longtime girlfriend Angel Downs. The emails were made public in a request by the Baldwin County District Attorney's Office to reconsider the reduction of Nodine's bond.

Just a little more than a week ago, a friend of Steve Nodine's made his $250,000 bail. That bail was reduced from $500,000 after a bond reduction hearing. Nodine has remained in jail due to a federal firearms charge.

The Baldwin County District Attorney's Office however had a change of heart and asked for Judge Charles Partin to reconsider the reduction of bond. The reason, emails recently obtained by the district attorney's office sent between Angel Downs and Nodine. Authorities said they were after an argument the two had.

Angel Downs writes: "I didn't fall down, you tried to kill me and get your kicks off beating me up. You body slammed into the door. I fell when you pushed me as you're 3 times my size."

The email goes on to say: "Your addiction turns you into a very ugly person. I don't like him. Until you turn yourself into a pain clinic as your doctors suggested I will not be around, as next time you may actually succeed in killing me."

Nodine responds: "U fell down three times once in room twice on street, u kept attacking me b, I did not have any drugs on me, am not emailing any of this as it is all a joke if u know what I mean, I can't text u but have pics of my arms."

As of very late Tuesday, Judge Partin was still reviewing the district attorney's motion to reconsider the reduction of bond. If the judge decides to deny the government's request, Nodine could walk out a free man until his trial.

Nodine’s Last Two Weeks By Kevin Lee Lagniappe ISSUE #206 JUNE 14, 2010

Once again Kevin does an outstanding job of reporting and giving the viewers multiple inside tidbits of information.

This story gives us an over view of what has transpired over the last 2 weeks. He takes an in depth look at the phone records.

No one else does the background research Kevin does.

Write a book about this Kevin!! I'd buy it!!

You can also follow Kevin on Open Salon he's doing a series on Nodine there as well.

Nodine released from Baldwin jail Weds, 16 Jun 2010, 1:55 PM CDT

A federal judge has agreed to release Steve Nodine from federal custody regarding the federal firearms charge. He has not been officially released from jail, but that could come at any time.

Nodine has already paid a $250,000 bond to be released from jail on murder charges in the death of his longtime girlfriend Angel Downs. The original bond was set at $500,000 but that was reduced by Judge Charles Partin.

Baldwin County Prosecutors have asked Judge Partin to reconsider that bond saying Nodine is a flight risk.

E-mails: Angel Downs had 'nightmares' of Stephen Nodine trying to kill her Published: Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 5:30 AM by Brendan Kirby, Press-Register

Click to view Emails:
DivShare File - Nodine e-mails.pdf

Clipped for length:
In Downs' last e-mail to Nodine on Nov. 10, sent at 11:59 p.m., she told him that she had no choice but to remove herself from the situation.

"I now have nightmares of you trying to kill me. Please please get help!" she wrote.

Downs told Nodine in the e-mail that his abuse drew the attention of other people waiting in line at a restaurant. An older couple behind them asked Nodine what he was on, and the commissioner tried to arrest the people in front because they told him to stop harassing Downs, according to her e-mail.

"This is not worth it!!!! That is no way love. I'm not discussing this anymore," she wrote. "You use your badge as a tool or power trip when out in the public ... you abuse your powers. I don't know any man that gets a kick out of hurting (physically and emotionaly) as you do. You humiliated me and hurt me."

Nodine Ordered to Be Released, Will Stay at House on S. Georgia Ave Full story: Lagniappe by Kevin Lee

clipped for length:
Nodine can only leave the home for employment, education, religious matters, doctor visits, court appearances and attorney visits. A probationary officer must approve any other trips.

Any contact with law enforcement must be brought to probation officer’s attention within 24 hours. When asked if he understood the terms, Nodine responded, “I have not let the United States down in 28 years and I won’t now.”

Dennis Knizley shook his head and muttered “Shut up” under his breath. Williams nodded.

11724347-cd1.png

Lynam resides at 112 S. Georgia Ave. in Mobile’s Garden District. Public records show the four-bedroom house is owned by Herbert Andrews and valued at $222,000. It sits less than 1,000 feet south of the Alabama School of Math and Science, an institution that houses students in on-campus dorms.

Defense counsel was satisfied with the ruling.

“There was never any witness which is what is required. A witness has to come forward and say he is a danger to me, he is a threat to somebody and he’s not. There is no evidence of that,” Gordon Armstrong said.

The defense countered, stating that a local named Wayne Anderson secured Nodine a job with P&W Construction upon his release.

Messages Exchanged Reveal Violent Relationship by Jessica Taloney
Published: Wed, June 16, 2010 - 3:29 pm CST

Nov. 10, 2009 10:49 p.m.MOBILE, Alabama - An attorney for former Mobile County Commissioner Stephen Nodine says a text message from Angel Downs to her sister may show the Gulf Shores relator had plans to shoot Nodine the night she was killed.

Dennis Knizley referenced the message in a response to the Baldwin County District Attorney's motion to reconsider Nodine's bond reduction.

"She said she had a gun and that Nodine was coming, and where do you shoot the burglar in the front or the back," said Knizley, who tells News Five the defense learned about the text message while taking depositions from some of Downs' friends during the former commissioner's impeachment proceedings earlier this month.

"That would suggest she had the weapon in her hand and intended to use it on Mr. Nodine," he said.

Nodine, who told investigators he was not with Angel Downs when she was shot, was released from the Baldwin County Corrections Center Wednesday afternoon on an order from US District Judge Callie Granade. Nodine posted $250,000 bond on the murder charge, which was half of the original $500,000 bond. He did not have to post a bond a federal weapons charge.

Prosecutors in the murder case, who have said Downs' was the victim of domestic violence in the months before she was killed, have asked Baldwin County Circuit Court Judge Charles Partin to reconsider Nodine's bond reduction based on emails exchanged between Nodine and Downs on November 10, 2009.

In a series of eleven emails exchanged between 9:52 p.m. and 11:59 p.m., Downs told Nodine "I now have nightmares of you trying to kill me." Downs described an incident where she says Nodine pushed her down, slammed her head on a door and fractured her tailbone. Nodine responded in the emails saying "U fell down three times" and "u kept attacking me b."

Prosecutors tell News Five they recently obtained the emails, which involved Nodine's Mobile County email address and Downs' personal Yahoo account.

As of late Wednesday afternoon, Partin had not scheduled a hearing on the motion.

The final three emails in the two hour exchange read as follows:

Nov. 10, 2009 10:49 p.m.
Angel Downs to Stephen Nodine:
"More clearly I heard ur friends comments and you taking ur frustrations out on me. I actually had to go to the hospital and they have pics on me from all the bruises, poking, scratching, pishing, etc. Even did a blood test for my records. U fractured by tailbone by pushing me down and slammering my head on the door. Thank god a good Samaritan found me and got help. U almost got ur ownself arrested by screaming, poking an pushing me. However, I saved ur *advertiser censored* by not saying anything bc u had drugs in ur pockets. You are an addict. You need help. That's out of love. I'm not going down with urs sinking ship. You are and have been destroying us for quite sometime. All you had to do was say I can't di this instead acting and abusing mr like u did."

Nov. 10 2009 10:57 p.m.
Stephen Nodine to Angel Downs
"U fell down three times once inm room twice on street, u kept attacking me b, I did not hav e any drugs on me, am not emailing any of this as it is all a joke if u know what I mean, I can't text u but hav e pics of my arms

Nov. 10, 2009 11:59 p.m.
Angel Downs to Stephen Nodine
"I didn't fall down you tried to kill me and get your kicks off beating me up. You body slammed into the door. I fell when you pushed me as your are 3 times my size. Any scratches you have were self defense to get you off me. Your addiction turns you into a very ugly person. I don't like him. Until you turn yourself into a pain clinic as your doctors suggested I will not be around... As next time you may actually succeed in killing me. I did nothing wrong. Even the folks in the food line tried to help me from your abuse. All I did was waited in line for a hamburger and you tried to arrest the guys in front of us bc they told you to stop harrassing me and the older couple behind us asked what you were on. This is not worth it!!! That is no way love. I'm not discussing this anymore. You use your badge as a tool or power trip when out in the public... You abuse your powers. I don't know any man that gets a kick out of hurting (physically and emotionly) as you do. You humiliated me and hurt me. I have no choice but to remove myself from the situation. I now have nightmares of you trying to kill me. Please please get help! You r staying home and married bc (Nodine's son) needs you remember? So be his father, a good man that he can grow up and respect as you are forming what his adulthood should be like.

Do you know who they are? I also noticed. Lynam is from Remington where Nodine got his honorary degree???? He's divorced and renting a house. Says he went out socially weekly with Nodine?

I wish the elderly people, men or other witnesses who defended Angel would come forward and speak up about Nodine's abuse of power.

Court records show that the $150,000 in property bonds that were posted toward Nodine's bail were made by Scott and Dolly Gatlin of Semmes.

http://blog.al.com/live/2010/06/mickey_dearmons_attempt_to_pos.html

Do you know who they are? I also noticed. Lynam is from Remington where Nodine got his honorary degree???? He's divorced and renting a house. Says he went out socially weekly with Nodine?

I wish the elderly people, men or other witnesses who defended Angel would come forward and speak up about Nodine's abuse of power.

No, I don't know who they are ~ but, I am checking. It appears they own several pieces of real estate ~ from a quick check on public records.
I saw that about Lynam/Remington.

Nodine sounds like a very dangerous man who has no business being released into society again. I find it unacceptable that he is out on bond after being charged with murder. He obviously has a history of multiple violent behaviors and drug abuse. He does not belong out on the streets. IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back