VA - Couple & two teens found murdered, Farmville, 15 Sept 2009 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow - the last two quotes in that interview are very telling ... if that were my brother, I think I'd be in denial for awhile about his guilt, even if he admitted it to me - I'd be questioning his confession

it seems strange to me that she's talking so much (online posts & giving interviews) and addressing her brother's guilt too & in an absolute way

My theory is that he talked to her sometime after she pleaded with him to call her, and that he confessed to her. It is also possible she is the person referenced in the SickTanick press release:

Myself and Razakel became concerned and contacted various people trying to locate the individuals in question (Melanie, Emma & Sam) and were unable to reach anyone.

Shortly after i recieved a phone call from a individual stating that the Suspect in the murders had contacted them saying he had "killed" everyone. This caused me great concern being that we ourselves could not reach the parents or subjects in question.

Sam had 3 Myspace pages. Emma wrote exclusively to him on one of his pages and Melanine wrote to him on another. I have given the cached link and screen grabs to the page Emma wrote on earlier.

Here is the page where Melanie wrote:

http://www.myspace.com/lildemondog_wir

Can someone make a series of screen grabs for it so that it does not get lost? Otherwise, I hope I can do it tomorrow.

I got some but please don't rely on mine - I just learned how to do it & half the ones I thought I had saved yesterday I didn't

:loser:

I got some but please don't rely on mine - I just learned how to do it & half the ones I thought I had saved yesterday I didn't

:loser:

also, does anyone have the third page? I'm still trying to find a comment I saw yesterday

I might can offer a little insight or info -- I am a recent alum of Longwood U, and have lived in central VA most of my life. The Pastor served my grandmother's church, as well as a large portion of my large, extensive family.

From what we've heard, it was Emma's father who took the kids (yes, I will call all of them kids) to the MI music event. Have also heard that Emma's mother was out of town, perhaps at a conference, and once she knew they were home she called but with no answer, and decided to return home.

The father/pastor was at church on wednesday night, and made phone calls on thursday. Apparently the last person to speak with him was a family member of mine, who is suffering a life-threatening illness. I don't know a lot about Mark, but everyone I know who did is adamant that he was very attentive to his church flock, and there for them in all their cares and woes.

The statements about Farmville are all true -- it is a beautiful little town where nothing like this has ever happened. Longwood's campus is practically pastoral, a mix of lush green and neo-classical style buildings.

Regarding those who marvel at the daughter of a prof and a pastor would wind up like this, and that they would allow a stranger into their home, OR that they would accompany their daughter to the concert/festival -- I can only offer the following: Until you are the parent of a child who changes overnight and scares you to death with their disappearing acts, strange behavior and attire -- your opinion is WORTHLESS. My son went through a phase where he wore black, had piercings, the whole bit, spoke of satan, etc...ran away from home. We lived in fear for his life, and had only ever been loving and devoted towards him. There was nothing we could do. I even took someone to court, someone who was harboring him and allowing him to pursue his "chosen" lifestyle -- but guess what? He was 17 and the courts refused to intervene, even though he clearly was a minor. Perhaps Emma's parents had already consulted their lawyer and realized they were on their own. Thank goodness my son survived and is now a successful young man with a beautiful family. I was lucky. Emma and her parents were not.

So, I completely understand why Emma's parents felt that if they could keep the situation contained, have some sort of control, by accompanying her to the concert, by letting Sam stay at the house (tell me, what do you think would have been the alternative?? She would have left with him!) I totally get what the parents were trying to do. And they gave up their lives in an effort to try and save their child. then again, maybe if she had run away she would still be alive. If parents are regarded as the enemy and you're staying in the enemy's house, who knows what might happen.

As an aside, the whole satanist thing is laughable, since there is no proof of the existence of such a creature, and even if there was, he is still part of the Christian canon, therefore, when a Satanist mocks Christians/Jews/Muslims, he is really mocking himself, too! The whole goth movement is laughable and seriously followed only by the weak-minded/uneducated.

I believe there are pre-christian depictions of "a dark god" or "ruler of the underworld" in pegan religions, just as there are born the seeds of chirst in greek and pegan practice.

I somewhat agree with your assessment of the parent's resonse in this case, but I'd add a few other things here. Mom was a college prof. She might naturally (I would assume from my experience teaching college kids--and yes I'd call them all kids in this generation-between the ages of 18 and 22) have a heightened sence of companionship, or sympathy with the boy, or maybe an inflated sense of control of the situation, as she likely dealt on a daily basis with a WIDE RANGE of students exactly around their ages, from different socioeconimical and subcultural backgrounds. Her impressions, assumptions might be VERY different than those of the adverage mom--sadly, in this case, to her detriment.

Also consider that these parents were divorced. It would be worthwhile to ask how recent was this seperation. Sometimes parents behave in strange ways toward their children in trying to "make up" for what is clearly a painful and damaging experience, sometimes by being too lenient, by trying to win the kid to their side, by trying to be a friend rather than an authority out of a fear of losing the kid to the other parent, or out of a sense of guilt for the emotional damage....

If we get any information about dates, please let me know. I would like to include it on the timeline on page 1.

RE: whereabouts of Dr. Kelley wed/thurs last week, I do know she was on sabbatical, so no teaching duties. I just checked Longwood's course listings for fall 2009, her name does not come up, though it may have been recently deleted. Professors on sabbatical sometimes go to their campus office to catch up on work or to meet with someone, so it is possible she was over there at some point last week. I rather suspect, though, that she was watching over her daughter at home.

I believe there are pre-christian depictions of "a dark god" or "ruler of the underworld" in pegan religions, just as there are born the seeds of chirst in greek and pegan practice.

I somewhat agree with your assessment of the parent's resonse in this case, but I'd add a few other things here. Mom was a college prof. She might naturally (I would assume from my experience teaching college kids--and yes I'd call them all kids in this generation--between the ages of 18 and 22) have a heightened sence of companionship or maybe an inflated sense of control of the situation, as she likely dealt on a daily basis with a WIDE RANGE of students exactly within these age ranges, from different socioeconimical and subcultural backgrounds. Her impressions, assumptions might be VERY different than those of the adverage mom--sadly, in this case, to her detriment.

Also consider that there parents were divorced. Would be worthwhile to ask how recent was this seperation. Sometimes parents behave in strange ways toward their children in trying to "make up" for what is clearly a painful and damaging experience, sometimes by being too lenient, by trying to win the kid to their side, by trying to be a friend rather than an authority out of a fear of losing the kid to the other parent, or out of a sense of guilt for the emotional damage....

Well of course there are dark figures from pre-xian cults, but none so dark as the xian-created satan. Indeed, early church fathers, concerned that pagans would continue to worship the horned man (this would be western europe, primarily Britain/France/Germany) over christ, so they just made him out to be the bad guy, the boogey man, who evolved into the satan familiar to us in medieval tympanums, Dante, and Paradise Lost. As a matter of fact, the modern conception of hell and what goes on there is straight out of Dante, not the bible.

I also teach college. I would say you are wrong on all counts, as stated above. The socio/economic background of students depends on where you teach. Longwood is a small public university with a rather homogeneous student body. Diverse, yes, but....not much. But even in a more diverse environment, while professors are generally inclusive, that doesn't mean they are incapable of recognizing troubled students and acting on hunches. Most colleges, including where I teach, have an "early alert" system in place for said hunches, and we are trained in how to recognize coming trouble -- no matter where the students are from or their background. Your argument is a little simplistic. Now, you might ask, why didn't Debra Kelley pick up on Sam's troubles -- I can only cite my earlier, lengthy post discussing what it is like to deal with a child who is dancing on the dark side. Also, you won't meet many professors who are "companions" to their students. Recipe for disaster. A professional, but friendly, distance is maintained.

Emma's parents separated two years ago. Both were still very hands-on, however, with her father constantly running down to Farmville.

However, it looks like Sam's separated very recently, according to an article posted above.

My theory is that he talked to her sometime after she pleaded with him to call her, and that he confessed to her. It is also possible she is the person referenced in the SickTanick press release:

if he saw her myspace post on Sept. 19, he would've had to have logged on that day & I don't see anywhere that he did, however it's still possible (even probable) that he called her that day which leaves the question: why would she call SickTanick & leave it to that person to call the police?

Well of course there are dark figures from pre-xian cults, but none so dark as the xian-created satan. Indeed, early church fathers, concerned that pagans would continue to worship the horned man (this would be western europe, primarily Britain/France/Germany) over christ, so they just made him out to be the bad guy, the boogey man, who evolved into the satan familiar to us in medieval tympanums, Dante, and Paradise Lost. As a matter of fact, the modern conception of hell and what goes on there is straight out of Dante, not the bible.

I also teach college. I would say you are wrong on all counts, as stated above. The socio/economic background of students depends on where you teach. Longwood is a small public university with a rather homogeneous student body. Diverse, yes, but....not much. But even in a more diverse environment, while professors are generally inclusive, that doesn't mean they are incapable of recognizing troubled students and acting on hunches. Most colleges, including where I teach, have an "early alert" system in place for said hunches, and we are trained in how to recognize coming trouble -- no matter where the students are from or their background. Your argument is a little simplistic. Now, you might ask, why didn't Debra Kelley pick up on Sam's troubles -- I can only cite my earlier, lengthy post discussing what it is like to deal with a child who is dancing on the dark side. Also, you won't meet many professors who are "companions" to their students. Recipe for disaster. A professional, but friendly, distance is maintained.

I stand informed.

I am a young teacher, still closer to college than parenthood, and teach at an unusually diverse semi-urban commuter school. Identification with students is unavoidable, but to display it as companionship is unacceptable and yes, a recipe for disaster.

You are right in that I ought to be asking, why didn't she pick up on Sam's troubles. Only since the devistating events at Virginia Tech have many schools put in place systems for dealing with obviously troubled students. However, there are so many instances that ring in mind of young people who commit murder, about whom many close around (teachers, other students, friends) observed, "he was such a nice guy." To people totally unexposed to subcultures like this one, the impression can shock one into unfair judgment. I only mean to say that perhaps this particular parent saw this boy through a filter already sympathetic to his guise (and his situation). It's possible he did seem in person just like a nice, but not so normal boy, who happened to be into horrorrap, just as her daughter was.

My argument is simplistic perhpas because it is such a reach for me, child of over protective, overly watchful parents (which many on this board would seem to deny might lead to a different sort of danger) who ventured with relish into questionable situations, an eating disorder, and a fringe, scary-to-mom-dad-and-"normalpeople" subculture, as soon as she was out from under their immediate overbearing gaze.

She was lucky to venture safely back.

whoa - here is his sister in a comment on the SKR/WIR site mentioning that Emma effed Sam over real bad before this happened & saying that he had to have been provoked

'Thats just straight disrespectful dude. Until he is proven guilty for all 4, you shouldnt be talkin ****. I know my brother, and he had to have been provoked. He didnt do this for no reason. I was told Emma ****** Sammy over REAL bad before all this happened. Something happened. Yeah he went too far, it really shouldnt have gone to that extent but until we get all the details, try and be a little respectful towards others. Sammy has a family too ya know.'

[I edited out the profanity]

from this link:

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=99021159&blogId=510828718

I think someone should counsel her to stop talking and posting online

whoa - here is his sister in a comment on the SKR/WIR site mentioning that Emma effed Sam over real bad before this happened & saying that he had to have been provoked

'Thats just straight disrespectful dude. Until he is proven guilty for all 4, you shouldnt be talkin ****. I know my brother, and he had to have been provoked. He didnt do this for no reason. I was told Emma ****** Sammy over REAL bad before all this happened. Something happened. Yeah he went too far, it really shouldnt have gone to that extent but until we get all the details, try and be a little respectful towards others. Sammy has a family too ya know.'

[I edited out the profanity]

from this link:

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=99021159&blogId=510828718

I think someone should counsel her to stop talking and posting online

Agreed. In fairness to her (and while I certainly don't think anything Emma could have done was provocation for serial murder), she is his sister and it's understandable she would want to view this awful incident in a way that at least makes her brother's behavior something short of completely evil. Frankly this case is mystifying even as a total outsider with full knowledge that the perp is into some really scary, graphically violent music - I just don't expect to see a 20-year-old with no history of violence and no familial relationship to his victims go off the handle and kill 4 people.

Agreed. In fairness to her (and while I certainly don't think anything Emma could have done was provocation for serial murder), she is his sister and it's understandable she would want to view this awful incident in a way that at least makes her brother's behavior something short of completely evil. Frankly this case is mystifying even as a total outsider with full knowledge that the perp is into some really scary, graphically violent music - I just don't expect to see a 20-year-old with no history of violence and no familial relationship to his victims go off the handle and kill 4 people.

yeah, I totally get why she would want to defend his character; I just don't understand why she's referencing the crime or his involvement in any way, shape, or form - she's helping to shape public opinion by leaking little tidbits that make his guilt seem unquestionable; also, she might be called to testify if she had contact with him before he was arrested so speaking publicly about anything other than his character is unadvisable

FARMVILLE, Va. (Sept. 21) - Prosecutors said Monday they had to investigate hundreds of pieces of forensic evidence in ...

A preliminary hearing was set for Jan. 11 because of the amount of evidence discovered.

"We have so much of it, so we need a little longer," Commonwealth's Attorney James Ennis said after the hearing. "... The lab doesn't have a clue what's coming toward them."

http://news.aol.com/article/rapper-syko-sam-accused-of-killing/677926

[bold mine]

don't know how much merit this has, a quote from a friend of Emma's:

We caught up with a young man, Brandon Maceachran, who said he knew Emma well. He said he knew McCroskey was up to no good. He said McCroskey was “Very verbal. He would just call her names and stuff. So she thought she wasn't good enough."

http://www.wset.com/news/stories/0909/661036.html

FARMVILLE, Va. (Sept. 21) - Prosecutors said Monday they had to investigate hundreds of pieces of forensic evidence in ...

A preliminary hearing was set for Jan. 11 because of the amount of evidence discovered.

"We have so much of it, so we need a little longer," Commonwealth's Attorney James Ennis said after the hearing. "... The lab doesn't have a clue what's coming toward them."

http://news.aol.com/article/rapper-syko-sam-accused-of-killing/677926

[bold mine]

Interesting tidbit here:

A tow truck driver who dropped McCroskey off at a nearby gas station said he wasn't acting strange.

"I just asked him where he was from and all and he said he was from California. I said, 'What in the world you doin' down here?' He said, 'My girlfriend lives down here,'" said Elton Napier, 52, owner of Napier's Wrecker Service.

"He stunk like the devil. I'm gonna tell you the truth, that boy was stinkin'," Napier said.

One can only imagine, if he spent days with 2-4 corpses and didn't shower. I note he was wearing all black when he was arrested, and it's possible his clothes may have blood spatter or other forensic evidence on them.

I note his music has been taken down from the Syko Sam Myspace profile, but it doesn't show that anyone has logged into his account. Perhaps his sister or someone else has removed it, or maybe even Myspace itself.

not sure if this was posted already:

McCroskey was ticketed for driving the pastor's car without a license — 12 hours before the reportedly decomposing bodies were discovered.

The car hadn't been reported stolen, and police said they didn't realize until later that day they had let a suspected killer go free.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090921/ap_on_re_us/us_virginia_killings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member