IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't had much time to post but have been trying to keep up. I read several posts about the sleeping bag and wanted to comment.....

It's surprising to me that so many seem to put so much stock into one random anonymous poster's comment about where the missing sleeping bag is. IMO that was just a random comment from someone who probably knows nothing.

I have kids in college. First, most college kids we know don't take sleeping bags to school unless they're the outdoorsy camper types. Secondly, when my kids return for the summer, I wouldn't even know that a sleeping bag (or other item) was missing, most likely. They usually pile their stuff that they don't use on a daily basis, in storage, then get it out again when it's time to return. Now, IF they are the outdoorsy types who camp (and one of mine is), I'm not sure I'd still notice if a sleeping bag was missing. At that age, Mommy doesn't pack for them anymore. He'd likely grab his gear and go, then just go buy a new sleeping bag. I would probably not even know one was missing. IF I did, and suspected my son of something, I wouldn't be out telling my friends of my suspicions. I doubt he would tell anyone that his bag was missing either (if he is guilty). Therefore, I can't buy that some kid just happens to know that one of the POIs has a missing sleeping bag. IF LS was put in a sleeping bag, I don't think any of these POIs would tell anyone about it. This is not a big item (like a missing car). We're talking about a sleeping bag and college kids. I don't think anyone would notice that one is missing. Now, if someone else used another POIs bag without him knowing, and he's trying to frame that person, then that's a different story. This could explain why it's even brought up but it's the only explanation that I can think of.

He said on the JR must talk site that he doesn't know anyone in the case just found them on twitter and started harassing them to try to get answers. But no he doesn't know LS or any of the POI.

Thanks for that correction, Chris.

... but in the case I've mentioned before, the mother allegedly took a limo to a victim's house with a cash settlement, to avoid court. Appalling as that sounds, and it sounds very appalling.

Keylime, is this a case one of the POI's was involved in? I don't remember the original post. Thanks.

LOL at the choice of a limo. I wonder if she intended it as a covert operation or an overt way to demonstrate she meant bidness.

Covert and overt, perhaps? I'm not saying this to implicate JR, but the mother was from near the same area of SE MI. The son wasn't a murderer (yet), he was a repeat pedophile. Still, how disturbing to think she could do that.

Re: the validity of the dumpster theory and why the landfill hasn't been/isn't being checked. I don't get it, either, unless LE did a followup dog check at the transfer station, and her scent didn't show up there so they think something else happened. But as you note, what would that be? Could she have been left by the dumpster in something and transferred elsewhere? That's too risky, I'd think. Or is LE not be totally forthcoming (their option, of course)?

All thanks to Btown for the tip! I just happened to check WS before leaving my office. The reporter and I talked about the points he just made on the news. We're all shaking heads in disbelief over BPD! He said BPD turned over the landfill search to FBI.

zn2a14.jpg

I believe I remember hearing that 5 North privately contracted for garbage hauling (is someone able to confirm?). I so hope that this Sycamore Ridge Landfill is where their garbage ends up.

I remember that also, Carrie. I just checked the Bloomington trash pick-up schedule and plugged in a couple of addresses of the apt. complexes, and it looks like the City of Bloomington does not pick up the trash for those apts.

Because of that, someone said that the trash is picked up on a different day by a private contractor, and I believe Friday was mentioned.

Hah, you must've just missed me.

I saw someone...wondered if it was you. But I won't ask unless you're cool with it. I would only ask whether you were standing in a certain location, nothing else. :)

I remember that also, Carrie. I just checked the Bloomington trash pick-up schedule and plugged in a couple of addresses of the apt. complexes, and it looks like the City of Bloomington does not pick up the trash for those apts.

Because of that, someone said that the trash is picked up on a different day by a private contractor, and I believe Friday was mentioned.

The dumpster at 5 North says Sears and Sons.

I've seen the [ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1366&bih=653&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Sears+and+sons+waste+removal&oq=Sears+and+sons+waste+removal&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=4346l8314l0l8637l18l18l2l13l15l0l224l518l0.2.1l3l0"]Sears & Sons[/ame] Waste removal truck pick up dumpsters on Tuesday after 5pm in the neighborhood while I was taking pics to post on this site June 14th.

That doesn't mean they don't pick up on Fridays though.

I was teasing the reporter how the news station should have a backdrop of Smallwood by now, rather than driving all the way here and setting up. He said "We should be in Terre Haute right now." He seemed pretty disgusted with BPD, the tech guy too. I asked but the reporter doesn't think the garbage zones can be correlated back to a specific area of town. I thought they could?

I was teasing the reporter how the news station should have a backdrop of Smallwood by now, rather than driving all the way here and setting up. He said "We should be in Terre Haute right now." He seemed pretty disgusted with BPD, the tech guy too. I asked but the reporter doesn't think the garbage zones can be correlated back to a specific area of town. I thought they could?

Yes, I though in one news article it was mentioned they used GPS to log in where garbage was being placed... got to look for a link...

Keylime, is this a case one of the POI's was involved in? I don't remember the original post. Thanks.

Oh no, I'm sorry if I confused you. It's a very old MI case that's back in the spotlight, the Oakland County Child Killer (aka The Babysitter). The current suspect, Christopher Busch, is deceased. At the time, he was on probation for the sexual assault of several young boys, and two of the Oakland County Child Killer's victims (the boys) had been sexually assaulted. He was from a prominent Bloomfield Hills' family, and the mother allegedly "paid off" one sexual assault victim's family (in her limo). There's talk of a coverup, or at least mishandling, because Busch had a partner in the sexual assaults who went to prison while he got bail and probation.

I guess what's important here is that the crimes appeared to be swept under the rug by at least one member of the family. So I feel it can happen.

I asked but the reporter doesn't think the garbage zones can be correlated back to a specific area of town. I thought they could?

I would guess both yes and no.

Trash is taken to a transfer station which is then bulldozed into a semi-trailer, which is taken to the landfill and dumped. A gps location is noted where the trailer dumps. And that shows perhaps what city and day that load was placed.

However, that doesn't show what part of the town the trash came from. The transfer station does not ask where the trash came from when you leave the trash. They only want money.

I presume the way they get money, (from commercial waste removal, individuals pay as they go) is to document the weight of the truck, the company, and get the driver to sign the ticket, then send them the bill.

So it would seem to me that while the semi-trailer dump site is tagged, and that doesn't say precisely where in town the trash came from, one could go thru the transfer records for that day, and cross reference who the driver for the 5 North area was, and then you would have a good idea which semi that trash wound up on, and find it that way.

That kind of papertrail is something the FBI excels at I've heard.

From: http://www.examiner.com/criminal-pr...-won-t-bloomington-police-look-local-landfill

“Kenny DePasse, with Indiana's Republic Services, stated that Sycamore Ridge Landfill employs a GPS locating system when scheduling dumps made to the landfill, essentially ensuring the police will be accurately directed to the specific area in which IU trash has been dumped in the days following Lauren Spierer's disappearance.

“Few law enforcement agencies enjoy that kind of direction when searching a landfill for potential crime victims, reducing the overall scope of the search if Bloomington PD moves forward.”

I would guess both yes and no.

Trash is taken to a transfer station which is then bulldozed into a semi-trailer, which is taken to the landfill and dumped. A gps location is noted where the trailer dumps. And that shows perhaps what city and day that load was placed.

However, that doesn't show what part of the town the trash came from. The transfer station does not ask where the trash came from when you leave the trash. They only want money.

I presume the way they get money, (from commercial waste removal, individuals pay as they go) is to document the weight of the truck, the company, and get the driver to sign the ticket, then send them the bill.

So it would seem to me that while the semi-trailer dump site is tagged, and that doesn't say precisely where in town the trash came from, one could go thru the transfer records for that day, and cross reference who the driver for the 5 North area was, and then you would have a good idea which semi that trash wound up on, and find it that way.

That kind of papertrail is something the FBI excels at I've heard.

Yep, and you'd hope that they have already been able to narrow it down some based on zeroing in on this particular landfill versus the "couple" they mentioned on the news.

From: http://www.examiner.com/criminal-pr...-won-t-bloomington-police-look-local-landfill

“Kenny DePasse, with Indiana's Republic Services, stated that Sycamore Ridge Landfill employs a GPS locating system when scheduling dumps made to the landfill, essentially ensuring the police will be accurately directed to the specific area in which IU trash has been dumped in the days following Lauren Spierer's disappearance.

“Few law enforcement agencies enjoy that kind of direction when searching a landfill for potential crime victims, reducing the overall scope of the search if Bloomington PD moves forward.”

But was it searched? Do we know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member