GUILTY MT - Sherry Arnold, 43, Sidney, 7 Jan 2012 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
They specify a vacant farmstead. In that part of the country, the nearest "neighbours" can be 10 or more miles apart. Keep in mind that there are large parts of Montana and North Dakota that average less than two people per square mile of land. That's a lot of land with very few people.

It's not so hard for me to believe that there are vacant farmsteads that have been forgotten. I mean, "vacant" could apply to a farmhouse that was vacated a year ago or more than a century ago. At least they specify a treeline! "Matted grass" covers most of the area at this time of year and is not at all helpful as a location clue.

The problem is that just about every vacant farmstead has at least one treeline. "Mature or rotted" trees suggests that the place may have been vacant for many years, and therefore more likely to be forgotten.

Absolutely... Especially in that part of the country. I hate to say it, but finding a buried body up there would be next to impossible, unless you know exactly where it is. All of the land up there is owned by someone, obviously (outside of the federal government), but often times it's pasture land... You wouldn't notice something out of the ordinary... and it's often rented out... A lot of it is pasture land (for cattle, livestock), and for crops (although not so much in that part of Montana/North Dakota... the soil isn't as fertile). Landowners up there definitely need to be on the lookout... But, I wonder where the "treeline" came from... directly from the suspects? That being said, the "treeline" could be anywhere.

"Based on investigative evidence gathered over the last few days, it is believed that Ms. Arnold may be deceased; her body has not been recovered," Bertram said in the news release.

This is very strange. I understand not giving out sensitive information about an active case, but surely they're able to confirm at this point whether Sherry is alive?

I can not imagine being told that my loved one "may" be deceased and yet no outside help other then property owners to search their own property. Really?

Its upsetting to see that they haven't found Sherry, if either one of these "men" ends up going on a joy ride I'm going to puke, but it could be the only way they have of recovering her body. Makes me sick. Hopefully one of them was sober enough to recall where they buried her.

Since it looks like there is at least one confession I'm hoping that trials can be avoided and these two will be locked up for life.

I'm thinking maybe there isn't a confession - maybe just evidence (other posters have speculated blood in their vehicle and the anonymous tipster) and the guys won't budge yet. You'd think that if they did confess, there could be some negotiating with them to locate the body in order to not get the DP or something. I mean surely these guys must know the general vicinity of where they buried the body. At least within a couple mile range.

I'm really clinging to the "may" tonight. On an intellectual level, I know I'll probably be let down because Sherry is deceased, but my heart wants to hope. She seems like such a wonderful person, and it would be a miracle if she came home safe.

I'm thinking maybe there isn't a confession - maybe just evidence (other posters have speculated blood in their vehicle and the anonymous tipster) and the guys won't budge yet. You'd think that if they did confess, there could be some negotiating with them to locate the body in order to not get the DP or something. I mean surely these guys must know the general vicinity of where they buried the body. At least within a couple mile range.

Perhaps, there's no incentive for them to disclose where the body is at this point. Perhaps finding the body would upgrade the charges to murder? Would they get DP with aggravated kidnapping without a body?

I do think one of them is talking because the FBI is very specific about how her body was disposed of. bbm

The FBI, the Sidney Montana Police Department, the Williams County Sheriff's Office and the Williston Police Department are requesting North Dakota property owners in Williams, McKenzie and Mountrail counties and extreme northeastern Montana check shelterbelts and vacant farmsteads on their land for disturbed soil. The surrounding grassy area also may appear to be matted. Arnold's body may be buried in a shelterbelt that contains mature or rotted trees

Then I'm wondering where LE is getting the unoccupied property, tree line, and grass info from.

Unfortunately it isn't specific enough to take them to where she is, but it does sound to be like they have a description of where Sherry's body is.

It has to be difficult describing something like that... very difficult to identify unique markers.

I think that its like when they were trying to recover Victoria Stafford. McClintic was telling them where she was, she even drew pictures, but because it was out in the country it was difficult to find. And Terri was also on drugs, which I think was the case with one, and probably both of the suspects.

Perhaps, there's no incentive for them to disclose where the body is at this point. Perhaps finding the body would upgrade the charges to murder? Would they get DP with aggravated kidnapping without a body?

I do think one of them is talking because the FBI is very specific about how her body was disposed of. bbm

I've been wondering about that first point, not sure if I understand why there haven't been any murder charges since LE is sure she is deceased.

I agree with you that they have specific info.

A possibility could be that one of them told a friend about what happened and they called in the tip. If they weren't sober then even if they tried to tell someone where she is it maybe difficult as things could be foggy.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...W3LYTw?docId=a239caf790c2400c9d170fc0a4aa445b

Authorities investigating the reported death of a Montana school teacher asked land owners in parts of Montana and North Dakota to check vacant farmsteads for signs of disturbed soil or matted grass, saying her body might be buried at such a site.

Based on investigative evidence gathered over the last few days, it is believed that Ms. Arnold may be deceased,

I've been wondering about that first point, not sure if I understand why there haven't been any murder charges since LE is sure she is deceased.

I agree with you that they have specific info.

I think maybe the perps are saying they hit her with their car and she died of those injuries....in other words, they took her, but she died due to the "accident", not due to anything they did to her after. Without a body, they can't necessarily dispute that. I worry we won't see murder charges unless they find her body and get an autopsy.

jmo

Things that make me ask ?'s. I wonder how it is that they split up. Where they traveling together? Did one pick up the other before or after sherry went missing?

The link you posted takes me back to this thread. I swear, I tried 3 times LOL

What is the Bakken article? TIA

I get so many screens open on my desktop, I think I copied the URL off the wrong screen.... it was a link to a single post linking to an article that Bakken (the oil co.) had put up on their site, they don't have anything on the site about Sherry anymore.

I'm sorry guys.

Hopefully we hear word that they've found Sheri today.

I was looking around the internet and there are still large news organizations that are reporting that Sherry's body has been recovered... I know these organizations update their articles all the time, its upsetting that they haven't made the corrections.

Wow! It is so gorgeous up there, but I don't know how you all deal with that weather!

I really hope they can find Sherry and bring her home to her family. I hope the reports that it could have been an accident end up being true only because it means that she might not have had to suffer other horrible things.

We are still in Wyoming; finally home tomorrow after 9 days on the road and I hear it is snowing there. :D

One thing I was noticing yesterday was that all of the lakes, streams and rivers are frozen in Wyoming so they would be in Montana, as well. Sherry's remains would not be in water and I doubt that a hole could be dug that was deep. That leaves either wells/dry holes or her body on the ground covered by brush but brush is pretty sparse in wintertime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419