GUILTY MT - Sherry Arnold, 43, Sidney, 7 Jan 2012 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless the reporters know more, then the only similarities thus far I can see to the Dru Sjodin case, is that the perps. could have crossed state lines, and that a single shoe was found.

From the same article

During a midday press conference at the Williams County Law Enforcement Center, Williston Police Chief Jim Lokken said evidence in the case of the missing woman suggests she is dead and authorities are looking in Williams, McKenzie, Divide and Mountrail counties, as well as in northeast Montana, for her body.

Looks like they've added another county to the search list.

CI = Criminal Informant

Thank you! I did wonder if he rolled on a bigger fish in the first case, but the second case seems a little less likely. However, no matter how I looked at it, I just couldn't find the right words to line up with CI. :doh:

I hope that he is the one that rolls in this case; but he should get something here. He better not get off scot-free here!! Please let him show LE where to find Sherry; and please build a very strong case to throw away the key against the perpetual criminal in this case! :(

Unless the reporters know more, then the only similarities thus far I can see to the Dru Sjodin case, is that the perps. could have crossed state lines, and that a single shoe was found.

Sherry's case has reminded me of Dru's case for a handful of days now. Geography, obviously. Both women were doing normal, everyday things. Abductors taking the women across state lines, perps won't/can't say where body is, perps have long rap sheets. There are a couple of other things. I have wondered from the beginning if they would find Sherry's body before the next snowstorm because if they don't, she may not be found until the spring thaw....like Dru. :twocents:

Absolutely... Especially in that part of the country. I hate to say it, but finding a buried body up there would be next to impossible, unless you know exactly where it is. All of the land up there is owned by someone, obviously (outside of the federal government), but often times it's pasture land... You wouldn't notice something out of the ordinary... and it's often rented out... A lot of it is pasture land (for cattle, livestock), and for crops (although not so much in that part of Montana/North Dakota... the soil isn't as fertile). Landowners up there definitely need to be on the lookout... But, I wonder where the "treeline" came from... directly from the suspects? That being said, the "treeline" could be anywhere.

The landowner of record may not even live in the state or region. I have a friend my age (50s) whose great-grandparents abandoned their land in Oklahoma during the Dust Bowl. They were apparently a little better off because they did keep up with the property tax payments (in those first years, literally less than $10/year).

In the 1950s, they sold the oil rights to an oil company. The oil company pays the property taxes and gives them a royalty whenever they drill a producing well on the land. My friend is one of something like 15 heirs and her royalty checks are less than $1K per year. Better than nothing but not a fortune.

And my friend has never even seen that land. She knows where it is on a map but she's never seen it. She has vague plans to see it someday if her travels happen to take her near the area but it hasn't happened yet. I'm pretty sure that if I asked her if there were a treeline on the property, she would nave not the faintest idea.

She doesn't follow crime news the way I do, so the chances of her learning about an identical case in Oklahoma or northern Texas is pretty low.

I'm not saying that is what happened but when I read "vacant farmstead" my heart sank.

“This is a first-time event for our community,” DiFonzo said, adding the national attention the case has received has helped in some ways. However, DiFonzo said authorities have wondered if the case has received too much attention at times.

http://sidneyherald.com/articles/2012/01/16/news/breaking_news/doc4f148483b95ac571867870.txt

Say what?
Apparently DiFonzo doesn't keep up with how missing people cases are best handled these days. How a lot of attention can help immensly. How organized volunteer searches can help. I've heard of backwoods LE, but didn't think they had that in Montana. I've seen hillbilly LE in Tennessee that are way more on the ball than this guy. Just my opinion.

Mug shots :
suspects.jpg

http://www.ktvq.com/news/authoritie...sherry-arnold-case-ask-for-help-finding-body/

Maybe its just me, but the bridge of Spell's nose doesn't look straight.

As for Waters... meth head. He really is aging very quickly.

Two men that far apart in age can only know each other thru 4 things as far as I can think of...work, family, drugs, or jail. I wish I could wrestle my laptop away from my son to sleuth on which it is.

Maybe they were so drunk or high all they can remember is that she's near a treeline somewhere in ND. I guess its possible. :banghead:

The fact that Sherry was a teacher, was out running in a small rural town, that caught the attention of the media right away; the local LE can't really control that. I'm sure they have done a good job, in that they have suspects in custody, but I am still beyond confused at the wording of the husband when he made a statement (two days ago) about they "had her back" and how thankful they were that she was found...very strange...I do hope they were never told she WAS found when she wasn't. JMO

I know I said I couldn't form an opinion until we had something factual to work with and while true I do have a few thoughts about what certainly "appears" to be going on regarding the fact that Sherry's body has still yet to be found, much less recovered..

My thoughts on what it certainly appears is going on is that it the 2 perps for reasons unbeknownst to us are not willing or not able to assist LE in recovering Sherry's body.. I must say that is very concerning IMO because it doesn't mesh with one of the main speculations of what occurred to Sherry in that it was accidental initially with her being struck by their vehicle.. And then for further reasons unbeknownst to us they made the decision to take the injured victim with them rather than call for help.. This resulting in her dying from her injuries or from exposure wherever they chose to leave her or her body..

IMO if this is the claim and is what occurred(not exact but something similar in nature with it being initially accidental and not intentional) then IMO I can find ZERO REASON, EXCUSE, OR CAUSE FOR EITHER OF THESE MEN TO NOT IMMEDIATELY AID IN RECOVERING HER BODY!!!.. I could *possibly* buy or believe if there were only one perpatrator of this crime that for a combination of reasons they are having true difficulty in relaying the specific info of where or how to get to and recover Sherry's body.. Again thats just a *possibility* that I might consider be it only one perp.. However IMO that's not the case and there's just no way in hell-o that I'm believing for a second that both of these men cannot recollect enough specifics about the area they left Sherry or her body.. Not in a thousand years is it believable IMO that is possible for BOTH PERPS TO HAVE LITTLE TO ZERO MEMORY OF THE DISPOSAL!!.. Sorry I just don't and won't believe that..

So, what does that mean?? If the initial incident were accidental and she dies as a result of a decision they made.. Well.. They're charged with major crimes at this point and the cats outta the bag with LE declaring her deceased(to fam).. They're(perps) up chits creek without paddles and I can find zero legitimate reason for why they would not want her body recovered to prove that the forensics will show their acct is accurate and that she wasn't kidnapped alive/well with sexual motivations which then led to her death.. That is the logical and common sense route, right??.. It certainly is to me and with that said it does lead one to believe there to be a possibility that the motive was NOT as innocent as they "may" be claiming and/or that many are hoping/believing to be the situation..

And that's exactly where it leads me to in seeing that these 2 perps for WHATEVER REASONS are not assisting in bringing Sherry home?? Why do most think that they'd not be assisting if the motive were in fact innocent??

IMO there is just no way possible that both of these men have no memory of any specifics whatsoever with which to assist in Sherry's body being recovered and brought home to her loved ones so that they can lay her to rest as they so see fitting!?!?.. This is where my thoughts are at this time with what little we know..

Praying for Sherry's loved ones and that they will atleast have the solace of closure and beginning to grieve Sherry's death.. Hopefully very soon!

I can not imagine being told that my loved one "may" be deceased and yet no outside help other then property owners to search their own property. Really?

I don't think it sets a good precedent for LE to urge people to break the law. There *are* laws about trespassing in most states.

Plus, sometimes a property known to be vacant attracts criminal activity. I don't know if they have problems with meth labs the way they do in Iowa but if they do, the very last thing they want is for well meaning volunteers to accidentally run into a meth lab operation. Yes, recovering Sherry Arnold's remains is important for her family but I bet her family would feel terrible if a volunteer were killed during the search because they stumbled onto a meth lab.

LE in each jurisdiction probably has a good idea of which properties are vacant. They have access to the county recorder's tax records. It would not be that difficult for LE to contact absent property owners of record and get permission to search.

And LE are trained and prepared to deal with whatever it is they may happen onto when they search with the owner's permission.

I know I said I couldn't form an opinion until we had something factual to work with and while true I do have a few thoughts about what certainly "appears" to be going on regarding the fact that Sherry's body has still yet to be found, much less recovered..

My thoughts on what it certainly appears is going on is that it the 2 perps for reasons unbeknownst to us are not willing or not able to assist LE in recovering Sherry's body.. I must say that is very concerning IMO because it doesn't mesh with one of the main speculations of what occurred to Sherry in that it was accidental initially with her being struck by their vehicle.. And then for further reasons unbeknownst to us they made the decision to take the injured victim with them rather than call for help.. This resulting in her dying from her injuries or from exposure wherever they chose to leave her or her body..

IMO if this is the claim and is what occurred(not exact but something similar in nature with it being initially accidental and not intentional) then IMO I can find ZERO REASON, EXCUSE, OR CAUSE FOR EITHER OF THESE MEN TO NOT IMMEDIATELY AID IN RECOVERING HER BODY!!!.. I could *possibly* buy or believe if there were only one perpatrator of this crime that for a combination of reasons they are having true difficulty in relaying the specific info of where or how to get to and recover Sherry's body.. Again thats just a *possibility* that I might consider be it only one perp.. However IMO that's not the case and there's just no way in hell-o that I'm believing for a second that both of these men cannot recollect enough specifics about the area they left Sherry or her body.. Not in a thousand years is it believable IMO that is possible for BOTH PERPS TO HAVE LITTLE TO ZERO MEMORY OF THE DISPOSAL!!.. Sorry I just don't and won't believe that..

So, what does that mean?? If the initial incident were accidental and she dies as a result of a decision they made.. Well.. They're charged with major crimes at this point and the cats outta the bag with LE declaring her deceased(to fam).. They're(perps) up chits creek without paddles and I can find zero legitimate reason for why they would not want her body recovered to prove that the forensics will show their acct is accurate and that she wasn't kidnapped alive/well with sexual motivations which then led to her death.. That is the logical and common sense route, right??.. It certainly is to me and with that said it does lead one to believe there to be a possibility that the motive was NOT as innocent as they "may" be claiming and/or that many are hoping/believing to be the situation..

And that's exactly where it leads me to in seeing that these 2 perps for WHATEVER REASONS are not assisting in bringing Sherry home?? Why do most think that they'd not be assisting if the motive were in fact innocent??

IMO there is just no way possible that both of these men have no memory of any specifics whatsoever with which to assist in Sherry's body being recovered and brought home to her loved ones so that they can lay her to rest as they so see fitting!?!?.. This is where my thoughts are at this time with what little we know..

Praying for Sherry's loved ones and that they will atleast have the solace of closure and beginning to grieve Sherry's death.. Hopefully very soon!

BBM

I think they're not assisting because what they have done was not innocent and because by now they most likely have court appointed attorneys who have advised them not to talk.

I just hope some up and coming wannabe hotshot defense attorney doesn't decide he wants to be the next Jose Baez and offers to represent these guys for free.

A few years back I was helping search for a lady in Houston, TX. LE arrested her son and his friend for her murder. They were so high they couldn't remember exactly where they put her. All they could remember was that there was a bridge and a Shamrock gas station right there. Two of our volunteer searchers finally found such a place and discovered her body in some bushes. The third day of our search.

From the same article

During a midday press conference at the Williams County Law Enforcement Center, Williston Police Chief Jim Lokken said evidence in the case of the missing woman suggests she is dead and authorities are looking in Williams, McKenzie, Divide and Mountrail counties, as well as in northeast Montana, for her body.

Looks like they've added another county to the search list.

Thank you for saying that, because I had just gone back to google to look because I thought that was the case and the articles that I saw either didn't mention the counties or listed Divide.

I wonder why they added Divide?

Thank you for saying that, because I had just gone back to google to look because I thought that was the case and the articles that I saw either didn't mention the counties or listed Divide.

I wonder why they added Divide?

Unfortunately, I really don't think LE has much idea where Sherry is. They seem to be trying to include the entire northwest quadrant of ND plus northeastern MT. That's a huge amount of land. I was hoping by now they'd be narrowing down the geographical search area, not expanding it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth