The case for murder

Status
Not open for further replies.
The family obviously wants it because the family wants answers, as they have been stating for weeks.

The fact that SDCSD is retaining possession of the phone, under the guise of "examining" it with suddenly new software that was unavailable on September 2, when RZ's death was officially declared a *suicide* and after the case was legally closed with so-called "iron clad" scientific evidence - well, it gives one pause for thought.

I, for one, will NOT apologize for being suspicious.

The family hasn't made any official request as far as I know. I doubt LE or any court will just hand a piece of property over without a legal document requesting it.

because as they've stated, they want to do their own personal investigation of the phone and its contents. Plus, the value to the family is immense in that it was one of their loved one's belongings, so why wouldn't they want it?

The family has an attorney. There are legal procedures, which is why a family hires an attorney. I guess I don't understand why that attorney hasn't asked the Court for the phone. If you want to assign blame, blame the attorney.

JMO

The family hasn't made any official request as far as I know. I doubt LE or any court will just hand a piece of property over without a legal document requesting it.

Hopefully, that will be the next action taken. As far as I'm concerned, that should have been done weeks ago, before the SDCSD latched onto the "new software" claim.

Here's the thing: It's curiously convenient that the SDCSD is now claiming to be conducting an examination of the phone with *new technology* that was *unavailable* a few weeks ago when the case was closed & deemed to be a suicide. It's even more curious that the SDCSD announced this sudden knowledge of new software right about the time that RZ's family was wanting the phone to be released to them.

Even if the family's attorney makes a legal request for the phone, the SDCSD can now stall, with the excuse that they're "examining" it. Very convenient, IMO.

The property was not obtained by the ME so your second paragraph is not relevant.

If the family wants anything of Rebecca's seized in a search warrant, they must ask the Court for it. They have an attorney.

JMO

According to this website, property that was seized by police as evidence can be returned to the owner, or if the owner is deceased, the next of kin can claim the seized items:

When can I claim my property that was booked as evidence?

For all evidence held in which a person has been arrested/cited, we must receive a District Attorney confirmation that the case is closed on all defendants. In some cases, the District Attorney may not release items immediately, pending further investigation or appeals. We also must receive a detective release on all assigned cases. Upon closure of the cases and receipt of necessary releases, an owner must pick up his/her property within 15 days. If your mailing address changes, notify the Property Section so that you can be notified when your property is available.

Can someone else pick up my property?

If you would like someone else to pick up your property, we must receive a NOTARIZED letter of authorization from you. If you are picking up property of a person who is currently incarcerated, that person must write a letter authorizing you to pick up his/her property, and it must be witnessed by an officer/guard at the correctional facility with the officer's name, badge number, and contact phone number. For deceased owners, if you have no power of attorney or will with copy of death certificate, we will contact the Coroner to identify the next of kin (who will then be able to pick up the property).

http://www.sacpd.org/faq/property/

From SophieRose's link:

The San Diego Sheriff's Department tells Fox 5 it has decided not to re-examine Rebecca Zahau's cell phone, and called recent claims of 'earwitnesses' hearing her cry for help the night she died irrelevant.

Another snippet from the same article:

Lt. Nesbit said the only way Zahau's phone could be examined would be to dismantle it, and the department deemed that was unnecessary, adding there's "nothing on the phone central to the evidence. We don't have any unanswered questions."

http://www.fox5sandiego.com/news/ks...ds-to-zahau-attorney-20111001,0,4865783.story

According to this website, property that was seized by police as evidence can be returned to the owner, or if the owner is deceased, the next of kin can claim the seized items:

Then the next of kin should claim the items in this case. Is there a link that says they have made such a claim? I have yet to see it. Thanks.

From SophieRose's link:

The San Diego Sheriff's Department tells Fox 5 it has decided not to re-examine Rebecca Zahau's cell phone, and called recent claims of 'earwitnesses' hearing her cry for help the night she died irrelevant.

Lt. Nesbit said the only way Zahau's phone could be examined would be to dismantle it, and the department deemed that was unnecessary, adding there's "nothing on the phone central to the evidence. We don't have any unanswered questions."

http://www.fox5sandiego.com/news/ks...ds-to-zahau-attorney-20111001,0,4865783.story

Wow. I guess that's that unless the family asks for a new investigation and they have yet to even bother with that. I do wonder why they even hired the attorney.

JMO

Then the next of kin should claim the items in this case. Is there a link that says they have made such a claim? I have yet to see it. Thanks.

my point is, the Zahau family are the ones who are entitled to Rebecca's belongings, including her phone. And I was responding to some of your claims that it is JS who is entitled to her phone and belongings because the items were taken by the LE from his home, which is incorrect. And didn't Bremner already claim that she has requested for the items to be returned back to the family? the only problem is that the LE seems to have delayed handing them back even after they've closed the case.

my point is, the Zahau family are the ones who are entitled to Rebecca's belongings, including her phone. And I was responding to some of your claims that it is JS who is entitled to her phone and belongings because the items were taken by the LE from his home, which is incorrect. And didn't Bremner already claim that she has requested for the items to be returned back to the family? the only problem is that the LE seems to delay handing them back.

Bremner can claim whatever she wants but I have yet to see any links to actual legal requests she's made. And my point is that if the family feels they are entitled to belongings seized by a Judge's order, they should make a request with the courts. I'm not into bashing LE without cause.

Feel free to disagree with my opinion but if you believe my opinion is incorrect, please cite a link to refute it. Thanks.

JMO

I have no idea. The Zahaus have accused them of corruption, cover-ups, unprofessionalism, being slackers so it would not surprise me if LE no longer communicates with their accusers.

JMO

they have an obligation to the victim's family to inform them of any new piece of evidence or information that comes up, as well as to provide them the results of any recent search or investigation of the phone. Why would the LE care about hurt feelings? If they are professional in their jobs, they would know and realize and even understand what the family is going through, and would not play tit for tat just because they feel they are being blamed or accused of misconduct by the victim's family. It's not like the family has taken them to court or verbally/physically abused them. If the LE stopped responding, communicating and providing updates or results of any new search or investigation to Rebecca's family just because they do not agree with the (LE) findings, that will only show how truly unprofessional the LE really are.

Bremner can claim whatever she wants but I have yet to see any links to actual legal requests she's made. And my point is that if the family feels they are entitled to belongings seized by a Judge's order, they should make a request with the courts. I'm not into bashing LE without cause.

Feel free to disagree with my opinion but if you believe my opinion is incorrect, please cite a link to refute it. Thanks.

JMO

According to you:

LE seized the property in a search warrant and in my city, an inventory/receipt is given and items returned to the person listed on the search warrant. I doubt it is any different in Coronado. I think it makes sense that LE wouldn't return any property seized from JS to RZ's family. Especially when it is determined no crime was committed.

My point was that the property seized was from JS' residence therefore it would be returned to JS.

Originally Posted by Morag
Oh, well, if that happens, I'm sure that JS will gladly turn it over to the owners (the Zahau family).
If they can prove they own it, I'm sure he will.

I think you are missing the point. Whether an inventory is sealed or not really is irrelevant because the items seized in a search warrant are returned to the person who was served the search warrant. Whether it be clothing, phones, soccer ball, doesn't really matter.

Next of kin is meaningless in ownership of personal property when a person dies. Did she bequeth the phone to them in her Will?

I'm not incorrect as to seized property/search warrants in my own city and unless you can provide me with a link to how the Courts in Cali handle it, I stand by my belief that it is similar.

From what I've found about property booked as evidence in California:

When can I claim my property that was booked as evidence?

For all evidence held in which a person has been arrested/cited, we must receive a District Attorney confirmation that the case is closed on all defendants. In some cases, the District Attorney may not release items immediately, pending further investigation or appeals. We also must receive a detective release on all assigned cases. Upon closure of the cases and receipt of necessary releases, an owner must pick up his/her property within 15 days. If your mailing address changes, notify the Property Section so that you can be notified when your property is available.

Can someone else pick up my property?

If you would like someone else to pick up your property, we must receive a NOTARIZED letter of authorization from you. If you are picking up property of a person who is currently incarcerated, that person must write a letter authorizing you to pick up his/her property, and it must be witnessed by an officer/guard at the correctional facility with the officer's name, badge number, and contact phone number. For deceased owners, if you have no power of attorney or will with copy of death certificate, we will contact the Coroner to identify the next of kin (who will then be able to pick up the property).

since I've already provided the link, can you please provide your own link to support your claim that the property owner, and not the next of kin, is entitled to the personal belongings of the victim seized as evidence by the police in California? TIA

they have an obligation to the victim's family to inform them of any new piece of evidence or information that comes up, as well as to provide them the results of any recent search or investigation of the phone. Why would the LE care about hurt feelings? If they are professional in their jobs, they would know and realize and even understand what the family is going through, and would not play tit for tat just because they feel they are being blamed or accused of misconduct by the victim's family. It's not like the family has taken them to court or verbally/physically abused them. If the LE stopped responding, communicating and providing updates or results of any new search or investigation to Rebecca's family just because they do not agree with the (LE) findings, that will only show how truly unprofessional the LE really are.

As far as I know, the family in this case has yet to do anything in court even though they retained an attorney. I'm not a member of law enforcement. If the family feels that there was an unfullfilled legal obligation then they should pursue it in court.

I've also made it clear that I don't engage in generalized bashing of law enforcement.

JMO

As far as I know, the family in this case has yet to do anything in court even though they retained an attorney. I'm not a member of law enforcement. If the family feels that there was an unfullfilled legal obligation then they should pursue it in court.

I've also made it clear that I don't engage in generalized bashing of law enforcement.

JMO

yet you're not averse to bashing the victim's family? :waitasec:

how do we know that the family haven't already tried to go to court to get her things back?

According to you:

From what I've found about property booked as evidence in California:

since I've already provided the link, can you please provide your own link to support your claim that the property owner, and not the next of kin, is entitled to the personal belongings of the victim seized as evidence by the police in California? TIA

Rosemary, property booked into evidence is not the same as seized property. LE doesn't know if property they seize is evidence until they examine it. With all due respect, this case was ruled a suicide.

JMO

yet you're not averse to bashing the victim's family? :waitasec:

how do we know that the family haven't already tried to go to court to get her things back?

If the family has tried to go to court to get her things back, cite a link. It would be public record.

JMO

Rosemary, property booked into evidence is not the same as seized property. LE doesn't know if property they seize is evidence until they examine it. With all due respect, this case was ruled a suicide.

JMO

how is it not the same? isn't booked evidence considered as items that were seized by police investigating a possible homicide? and even if it's not, where is the evidence that it is Jonah, and not Rebecca's family, who are entitled to her personal belongings. According to this:

What are the general types of items booked?

Evidence
Evidence includes items of property which have some connection to a crime (such as tools used to commit a burglary or items recovered from a previous burglary). Because items booked as evidence may be used during the course of a criminal trial, they are handled differently from other items in regard to handling, packaging, etc.

Items held as evidence are usually retained until the prosecution of the criminal case has been concluded on all parties involved in the case. Approval may be required from both the Sacramento County District Attorney's Office and the police detective assigned to the case before property can be released.

Safekeeping
Safekeeping items are those held for the owner for various reasons and are not intended to be used as evidence in a criminal case. The owner has 60 days to claim the items once he/she has been informed in writing as to location and other information. Without written notification, items are held 60 days from the date of the booking. Unclaimed items are disposed of in accordance with California law.

it is made clear that most personal items seized by the LE are usually given back to the owner after the case is closed, or if the owner is dead, to the next of kin. You have yet to provide the link that I requested where it mentions that the property owner has the legal right to the personal belongings of the deceased and not the next of kin in California. And please also provide a link where it states that booked evidence is not the same thing as seized items in a search warrant. TIA

In my personal experience...it happens all the time. You go in and ask for the item...present your identifying documents, a death certificate and sign the property out. Been there, done that.

From SophieRose's link:

Irrelevant?????? OMG...verbage used is interesting and :banghead::maddening:.

I posted information from Sacramento CA on one thread concerning property release. Case closed, property can be released by request of the owner or next of kin. Hope that helps.

From what I remember from the OJ case his lawyer had to petition the court Judge to have items returned and it took months even though he was found NG.

I would expect Bremner would have to do the same.

Although as long as Bremner is saying this wasnt a suicide I don't think anything will be released.

Has she filed her papers with the Attorney General's office?

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member