VA - Shooting Rampage, Appomattox, Christopher Speight, 17-19 Jan 2010

Thanks so much for the details Cerenity2u.

This is a horrible, senseless tragedy.

My condolences to all families involved and prayers that this town can work through the aftermath of this horrid crime.

Sad days ahead, I'm afraid.

Sincerely,
fran
:(

I am posting back to back as just before I went to send my last post, we heard a very loud explosion, we immediatly ran outside to see if we could hear anything else or tell exactly what it was...our pipe line exploded here last year, so that was our first thought..hubby works there and he assured us by phone it is not the pipeline. The explosion did come from the direction in which they are searching for possible explosive devices from the shooter though...lots of phone calls going on now, but nobody seems to know what it is...will update if I hear anything more on it.

this is awful. condolences to all the victims families.
and in such a historicaly signifigant area. does the courthouse still stand?
maybe they can hang him outside of it.

Thank you Fran. You know we always see and hear of this happening in other cities, counties and states and our hearts always goes out to the victims and their families..such sad, sad, scary times for them all. Never in our wildest dreams did we ever think something like this would actually happen here. Sadly this type of thing is happening far too often these days, wish we knew how to stop it.

Thanks so much for the details Cerenity2u.

This is a horrible, senseless tragedy.

My condolences to all families involved and prayers that this town can work through the aftermath of this horrid crime.

Sad days ahead, I'm afraid.

Sincerely,
fran
:(

Wow! 2 more explosions a little bit smaller than the first one. I wonder if they found some of the devices and they are detonated them?

I am posting back to back as just before I went to send my last post, we heard a very loud explosion, we immediatly ran outside to see if we could hear anything else or tell exactly what it was...our pipe line exploded here last year, so that was our first thought..hubby works there and he assured us by phone it is not the pipeline. The explosion did come from the direction in which they are searching for possible explosive devices from the shooter though...lots of phone calls going on now, but nobody seems to know what it is...will update if I hear anything more on it.

OhMyGoodness! He turned himself in but he wasn't done accumulating victims!

I pray they're able to uncover ALL of his devices without anyone else getting hurt.

Unbelieveable,
fran

Wow! 2 more explosions a little bit smaller than the first one. I wonder if they found some of the devices and they are detonated them?

WoW!

I'm assuming they have the DP? IF they do, I would venture to say he's a good candidate. Especially if those are explosives that he left behind. :mad:

fran

It sounds like that may be it Cerenity.

They are probably having the bomb squad detonate them as they find them.

imo

<snip>

3:23 p.m.

By WSLS News Staff & AP
news@wsls.com

Police have found several suspcious devices at the crime scene, and will detonate the devices in a safe manner, rather than trying to examine and disarm the devices. Several explosions may be heard in the area of the crime scene.

APPOMATTOX, Va. (AP) - Police say they’ve found a “multitude” of explosive devices at the Virginia home of a man suspected of killing eight people.
State police Sgt. Thomas Molnar says bomb technicians are detonating the devices to make them safe. There’s no indication any exploded on their own.

http://www2.wsls.com/sls/news/local...nvestigate_shots_fired_near_appomattox/75735/

Maybe this is what you're hearing, Cerenity.

THANK YOU TEXAS MIST...was saying prayers for Cerenity and her community. I will continue to pray for them.

I have a question? Why is this absolutely heinous act not getting more press coverage? Of course Haiti gets top billing as that is tragic and of international importance but why, on the mainstream news websites, is this story off the front page? That makes no sense. Please don't tell me that we are becoming desensitized. I won't believe it. I'm more than a little ticked that I'm seeing stories about stroller recalls and ancient English princess fingers found.

Also, let's not forget the detail that this guy's Mom died of brain cancer. Probably a long shot but wouldn't be the first time that a seemingly decent guy snapped due to a fast growing tumor. Could all this carnage truly be over land? Can a local give us an idea if we're talking very high end real estate here? As if it matters.

Ok, this is confirmed with our sherrif department. They have found and are detonated bombs around the outside of the home and in the wooded area. They still have not cleared the house and are still unable to remove the bodies until they find and detonate all possible explosives. We have heard 3 explosions so far, 1 huge one and 2 smaller ones. My cousin is saying they have heard at 4. These explosions are being heard miles away all over the county. There goes another one which is very large!!!! thats 4 we have heard. The guy has an undergound bunker which is loaded with explosives and weapons. They fear he has stationed these explosives all over in and around the home including the wooded area. Will report back when I hear more.

WoW!

I'm assuming they have the DP? IF they do, I would venture to say he's a good candidate. Especially if those are explosives that he left behind. :mad:

fran

Planting bombs at the scene, presumably to kill first responders, indicates a high level of planning which takes an insanity defense off the table, I would hope.

I'm so sick of these cold-blooded killers getting all lawyered up, then watching all the psychologists rushing in with their various "opinions".

Just fry the creep already!

Missizzy, from what folks are saying who knew him, he went down hill after his Mom died. He had been complaining about having problems with his siter about the house from the get go. The home was left to both of them. They said his whole demeanor became angry and aggressive and unstable throughout the year. Friends and family have witnessed pretty bad arguments between he and his sister over the house on more than several occasions. This property is probably worth more than the home itself. It is situated in a prime location here in the county. The home is average low to middle income I would say. They also said he talked about politics and government with more and more aggressive language to the point he was paranoid of our government. So far, nobody even knew he had built a bunker on his property and filled it with explosives, guns and ammo, but everyone knew he was an avid gun collector...the man just plain went crazy, but obviously planned this whole thing.

I have a question? Why is this absolutely heinous act not getting more press coverage? Of course Haiti gets top billing as that is tragic and of international importance but why, on the mainstream news websites, is this story off the front page? That makes no sense. Please don't tell me that we are becoming desensitized. I won't believe it. I'm more than a little ticked that I'm seeing stories about stroller recalls and ancient English princess fingers found.

Also, let's not forget the detail that this guy's Mom died of brain cancer. Probably a long shot but wouldn't be the first time that a seemingly decent guy snapped due to a fast growing tumor. Could all this carnage truly be over land? Can a local give us an idea if we're talking very high end real estate here? As if it matters.

Planting bombs at the scene, presumably to kill first responders, indicates a high level of planning which takes an insanity defense off the table, I would hope.

I'm so sick of these cold-blooded killers getting all lawyered up, then watching all the psychologists rushing in with their various "opinions".

Just fry the creep already!

Has he lawyered up yet? I thought the last update I read he was talking to LE.

I don't think he planted these bombs because of the first responders. He seems to have been a guy who went completely wacko over the house and land he and his sister inherited. I think he planted the devices to keep his sister's side of the family off of the land.

He probably divided up an imaginary line concerning the 34 acres of land and booby trapped it in case his sister's family came on it.

He does deserve the death penalty and will get it imo.

Missizzy, from what folks are saying who knew him, he went down hill after his Mom died. He had been complaining about having problems with his siter about the house from the get go. The home was left to both of them. They said his whole demeanor became angry and aggressive and unstable throughout the year. Friends and family have witnessed pretty bad arguments between he and his sister over the house on more than several occasions. This property is probably worth more than the home itself. It is situated in a prime location here in the county. The home is average low to middle income I would say. They also said he talked about politics and government with more and more aggressive language to the point he was paranoid of our government. So far, nobody even knew he had built a bunker on his property and filled it with explosives, guns and ammo, but everyone knew he was an avid gun collector...the man just plain went crazy, but obviously planned this whole thing.

Do you know what problem he was having with his sister? Was she not paying her part of the upkeep, maintenance or the property tax on the place?

thanks in advance.

imo

Has he lawyered up yet? I thought the last update I read he was talking to LE.

I don't think he planted these bombs because of the first responders. He seems to have been a guy who went completely wacko over the house and land he and his sister inherited. I think he planted the devices to keep his sister's side of the family off of the land.

He probably divided up an imaginary line concerning the 34 acres of land and booby trapped it in case his sister's family came on it.

He does deserve the death penalty and will get it imo.

You're probably right.

If he's talking to LE, they had better make sure they read him his rights and do everything exactly by the book, or his lawyers will have a field day putting the police on trial in court.

The only property this killer will have any control of from now on is the 10-by-15 cell he'll occupy for the rest of his life.

You're probably right.

If he's talking to LE, they had better make sure they read him his rights and do everything exactly by the book, or his lawyers will have a field day putting the police on trial in court.

The only property this killer will have any control of from now on is the 10-by-15 cell he'll occupy for the rest of his life.

That is true.

I hope he is giving them the information where the bombs are placed so that no one else is hurt.

imo

Joe--At first I thought so too, when I heard about the planting of bombs but maybe not. The descriptions of him are sounding very much like paranoid schizophrenia. He wouldn't be the first to put a lot of work into highly detailed preparations. One local said he was "nice" and others have heard him arguing and acting wacko about the government. He's sounding off his rocker to me....and/or his meds.

Cerenity--Please take care of yourself and hold your loved ones close. This is very traumatic, especially hearing the explosions. You must be mentally exhausted. Just be tender with yourself.

You mentioned that Speight went "downhill" after his Mom died. Were they especially close? The reason I ask is that grief over the death or loss of a loved one is so often the trigger to violence or suicide in those who are seriously mentally ill.

Take care. (((hugs)))

The only thing I can tell you about that situation is by what everyone is saying and it's just a little confusing. Apparently one wanted to sell the property and the other did not want to sell...we are hearing mixed info. about who wanted what. From what we are hearing now, they had a huge argument about it over this Past weekend. It sounds like this guy had some other issues brewing too. Not stable at all.

Do you know what problem he was having with his sister? Was she not paying her part of the upkeep, maintenance or the property tax on the place?

thanks in advance.

imo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23