Make Breastfeeding the Law: Gisele

Should there be a worldwide law requiring breastfeeding for 6 months?

• Yes. Breast is best.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • No. I think it should be encouraged but not a law.

Votes: 116 48.5%
  • Only when men can do it too.

Votes: 13 5.4%
  • No. Stay out of my business.

Votes: 118 49.4%

• Total voters

angelmom

The love stays...forever in our hearts
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://www.newser.com/story/97082/make-breastfeeding-the-law-gisele.html

Like a recent convert who can't help proselytizing, new mom Gisele Bundchen is touting the benefits of breastfeeding, In fact, the Brazilian supermodel wants "a worldwide law that mothers should breastfeed their babies for six months," reports the Guardian

I love it when celebrities tell the rest of us how to live our lives. :rolleyes:

most mothers will agree breastfeeding is the healthiest option for your baby...However, there are some mothers (myself included) that struggle to nurse or cannot produce milk for whatever medical reason.Apparently super model mommy didnt think of that. I guess I will have to turn in my mom stripes and be punished because I didnt nurse my babies :eyeroll:

I was able to breastfeed and really enjoyed the closeness and bond it fostered with my daughter. But that was after struggling with it for probably about 2 weeks. The pain, the whole latching on thing, I couldn't pump, blah blah blah.

Good for Gisele that she is so high on it but she really shouldn't act like she knows best. It's a different situation for every mom. And like mimimama said above, there are women who wish they could but just can't.

most mothers will agree breastfeeding is the healthiest option for your baby...However, there are some mothers (myself included) that struggle to nurse or cannot produce milk for whatever medical reason.Apparently super model mommy didnt think of that. I guess I will have to turn in my mom stripes and be punished because I didnt nurse my babies :eyeroll:

I can't agree more. There are times when it's just not possible, and we are lucky to live in an age when there are very good formulas for babies who can't nurse. I breastfed my first two and couldn't produce enough milk for the third. I have no problem with people who choose not to breastfeed, but I do have a problem when women who don't breastfeed are looked down upon.

I thought this thread would be about a law that states that women can breastfeed in public. I'd be all about that. This supermodel sounds like she hasn't got a brain in her skull.

In fairness to GB, celebrities are asked so many questions--often under pressure and in a crowd--they are bound to say something silly once in awhile.

But let's don't pass more laws telling women what they must do or not do with their own bodies.

I'm with Mr. E, however, that breastfeeding in public should be allowed. As a society, we've been about 7-years-old long enough. Time to grow up and turn 8.

Also, I don't think women who CHOOSE not to breastfeed should feel bad. Some women just aren't comfortable with it, or they want their husband to be more involved with feed times, or they work and don't want to pump...who knows. But it's a choice. I used to be a member of La Leche League and I loved it, but I really think that if a baby is relying on a bottle of formula for nutrition, there is no harm in that. Not in our industrialized society, anyway. In the 21st century, it seems like boob vs. bottle is such a non-issue. If this super-model woman wants a cause to promote, there are lots more that could use her attention.

I become more convinced every day that "celebrity" is NOT synonymous with "cerebral"

sorry, jmopo

I can't agree more. There are times when it's just not possible, and we are lucky to live in an age when there are very good formulas for babies who can't nurse. I breastfed my first two and couldn't produce enough milk for the third. I have no problem with people who choose not to breastfeed, but I do have a problem when women who don't breastfeed are looked down upon.

I thought this thread would be about a law that states that women can breastfeed in public. I'd be all about that. This supermodel sounds like she hasn't got a brain in her skull.

THUD! I always thought you were a man! :blushing: Why the nic Mr.E, if I may ask?

THUD! I always thought you were a man! :blushing: Why the nic Mr.E, if I may ask?

Well, it started when I was trying to make a point to my kids that just because someone says something on the internet, it doesn't make it true. So we came up with a "Mr." title, and we thought "Mr. E" on a "mystery" website would do well.

So, yeah, I'm actually a Mrs. :crazy:

We just had our 1st baby on July 16th... Emmi was 3 weeks early and although she was perfecly healthy (THANK GOD!!!) she just didn't have a good latch... We tried everything... Even the lactation nurse couldn't get it to work...

So, we tried pumping and I just wasn't making enough to keep up with our little girl... So, even though I really wanted to, I just couldn't breastfeed our little one.

I wonder what Missy Supermodel would like the punishment to be for those of us who can't breasteed...?

Oh, please! I am about as pro-breastfeeding as they come. I've been lactating continuously for almost 8 and half years, through 4 children, tandem nursing each new baby as he/she came until the older one weaned (between 2-3 years usually). I've had a really rough year this past year with a terribly plugged duct that just can't be treated outside of surgery, and the surgeon won't do it unless I wean. But my little one isn't ready to wean yet.

On a blog I used to own, I had formulated a plan for the United States to give wider support to new families, allowing breastfeeding to be more firmly established, by creating a savings plan similar to a 401k or college saving plan to fund a longer postpartum, similar to the long postpartum periods many countries (Holland, Canada, Australia, to name a few) support through the government, but self-funded or set up as a job perk. No politicians have taken me up on it yet, though.

But do I think breastfeeding should be law? No way! You can't legislate personal choices. What I would support is more PSAs on the benefits of nursing to counter balance the formula commercials. Lots of celebrities have been known to breastfeed. They should support it by making some good TV commercials showing off their adorable progeny.

We just had our 1st baby on July 16th... Emmi was 3 weeks early and although she was perfecly healthy (THANK GOD!!!) she just didn't have a good latch... We tried everything... Even the lactation nurse couldn't get it to work...

So, we tried pumping and I just wasn't making enough to keep up with our little girl... So, even though I really wanted to, I just couldn't breastfeed our little one.

I wonder what Missy Supermodel would like the punishment to be for those of us who can't breasteed...?

BBM

I'd probably be in jail. I took my youngest to a check up shortly after birth; she was marked as "Failure to Thrive" because she wasn't gaining. She was exclusively breastfed and very colicky. The doctor told me to pump to see how much she was getting, and could barely get two ounces. I started giving her a supplemental bottle after nursing her, and the first one she had she sucked down in about two seconds flat, making these little gulping noises. Turned out she wasn't colicky; she was just hungry. Thank goodness...middle kid was colicky, and I don't know if I could handle that again!

I adopted, so it wasn't possible..............

Keep in mind, Gisele also said that childbirth didn't hurt a bit.......not at all.

I would beg to differ..........

Keep in mind, Gisele also said that childbirth didn't hurt a bit.......not at all.

I would beg to differ..........

Was she drugged? Medicated? I had my last one totally natural, not even a Tylenol, and I can assure you that it hurt. Very definitely it hurt.

I have heard that some people seem to birth their babies without much pain. Of my three, they all hurt, but the last one without meds was wicked.

My epidural could not keep up with my labor, so the last half was basically done au natural... I can assure you all that it hurt like nothing else... It was totally worth it, and I would do it again, but I have never met anyone who said giving birth was painless.

What would be the punishment, if it was made a law? A fine? Prison?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes
Back