Questions for fellow websleuthers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know the specific laws in Fla, but in general patron records are considered private.
To have patron records surrendered usually requires a subpoena or court order.

A lot of criminals have been caught via their online activity at public libraries.
Good catch!

I guess it would be good to question the workers at the library to see if they can recall her being there and searching for anything, but I know most libraries don't keep track of items you have actually checked out in the past. I used to work at a public library and people would come in all the time wanting to get a list of all the books they've ever checked out, and we just didn't keep that kind of information since it would be a huge database. We weren't a small library either in a little podunk town.

I know it seems strange that in this day and age that information wouldn't be kept because it could become handy in investigations, but once you return the items you check out in most cases that information is gone, at least it was gone from our database. Now the public computers at the library would of course store what people have searched for, but as far as who checked out what book, I doubt that information is available due to the hassle/space it would take to store it for the occasional investigation.

Good thinkin!! I had not thought of this either. :eek: Hopefully they've checked this out already. No pun intended. ;)

Thinking like someone trying to get away with murder here....:eek: :furious:

I'd go to the library & read whatever I needed but never check a book out. No paper trail!!! Librarians word against mine.

I guess it would be good to question the workers at the library to see if they can recall her being there and searching for anything, but I know most libraries don't keep track of items you have actually checked out in the past. I used to work at a public library and people would come in all the time wanting to get a list of all the books they've ever checked out, and we just didn't keep that kind of information since it would be a huge database. We weren't a small library either in a little podunk town.

I know it seems strange that in this day and age that information wouldn't be kept because it could become handy in investigations, but once you return the items you check out in most cases that information is gone, at least it was gone from our database. Now the public computers at the library would of course store what people have searched for, but as far as who checked out what book, I doubt that information is available due to the hassle/space it would take to store it for the occasional investigation.

Where I am I can go online and look at everything I checked out for the past year.

I don't know about how things are run in Florida, but I work in a library and we do not store patron records. Once an item is returned it is wiped clean from their record forever. Most libraries, though not all, do this to protect a person's right to privacy. I would say that unless she knew exactly what she was looking for, it would be difficult to just blindly do a catalog search for how to murder and cover it up books. I can't imagine most systems would have simply a book on chloroform so if she was curious about methods I would think she would have to look into something like true crime, but then again, know exactly what she was looking for since most of those books do not have indexes.

However, I don't know how online public computer time is tracked at libraries and if that information is stored. I don't believe it is, but I'll find out today at work.

A library would be a good place to go and take a child if you were pretending you had a job.

I apologize if anyone else said anything already, (Snipped)...
I know this is a lame question in the context of things, I just think Casey is very sneaky and could have gone this route to do some research without it being completely known.

This is soooo not a lame question.:clap:

Now you have me wondering if Casey may have met people at the library...people she didn't want her regular party crowd to know about.

Great Sleuthin, Dolphin! :blowkiss:

I have thought of this to dolphinmomcca except I was thinking more along the lines of computer/internet use at the library. She doesnt strike me as a big book reader for some reason. It seems to me she did a lot of stuff on the computer and being a big CSI fan she would probably know things could be traced back to her if she used her own. I've tried putting myself in her shoes....what would I do if I needed info that couldnt be traced back to me ......using a public computer would be ideal. Possibly even going to a different library in another county.

I also think LE should ask her friends for their computers too if they havent already. She may have used theirs as well.

Library patron records are confidential and must be obtained under court order. Most libraries do not keep individual patron circulation histories. Depending on the circulation software a particular library uses, it might be possible to extract a circulation history report for a particular book and that might show the library card number of the patrons that had checked the book out. Library public access computers are the same as reading history....there must be a court order.

I've tried putting myself in her shoes....what would I do if I needed info that couldnt be traced back to me ......using a public computer would be ideal. Possibly even going to a different library in another county.

I also think LE should ask her friends for their computers too if they havent already. She may have used theirs as well.

Or I'd go to Kinko's or another place that rent computers by the minute/hour. Hrmm.

I don't understand why the family can't come up with the $50,000 bond money. The mother is an RN and they make great money - does the dad work? Also doesn't Florida let people put their houses up as a bond? Maybe they don't have that much equity in it? It just doesn't make sense that a family can't pull together that amount of money?
I read that George used all his retirement to open a car lot which went bankrupt. And then Cindy had to take 40,000 out of her retirement to pay off the debt that Casey put her in by using her cc's. Casey has not only put them in dire financial straits, she is going to cause them both to have a nervous breakdown or heart attack!

Even tho the records are confidential, this was a very good question! The guard said that she reads and reads. I wishthey would tell us what she was reading!

I apologize if anyone else said anything already, but has anyone gone to the local libraries and asked about Casey checking out books?? (or maybe even there reading about certain things, or asking for certain books) I know she doesnt seem the type to go to the Library, but I think Miss Casey wears many hats, and she very well may have to keep the searches on her computer down (the chloroform may have been a huge slip up, if she was thinking they might not be able to trace chloroform in the trunk so long after it was there)
I know this is a lame question in the context of things, I just think Casey is very sneaky and could have gone this route to do some research without it being completely known.

AHA! Great thought that I considered. Then I remembered that here at UF in Gainesville, FL ANY public comp used at our libraries is still traced to you through your library card.

A library would be a good place to go and take a child if you were pretending you had a job.

Yes it would...large libraries (and even small and medium sized libraries) have children's programs daily that are age appropriate and provide a wonderful opportunity for children to expand their minds and develop a love of reading that will serve them well as they mature.

I love libraries and everything they represent!

I apologize if anyone else said anything already, but has anyone gone to the local libraries and asked about Casey checking out books?? (or maybe even there reading about certain things, or asking for certain books) I know she doesnt seem the type to go to the Library, but I think Miss Casey wears many hats, and she very well may have to keep the searches on her computer down (the chloroform may have been a huge slip up, if she was thinking they might not be able to trace chloroform in the trunk so long after it was there)

Certainly a possibility. However, if she's anything like the college students in my classes, I find it unlikely. They usually try to avoid the library at all costs, preferring the internet's ease instead. I also hold the opinion that she's simply not bright enough to have thought ahead sufficiently to consider the possibility of things being traced, etc. Her pattern of behavior suggests a consistent lack of forethought when lying or committing any act.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T-Dog