Drew Peterson's Trial *FIRST WEEK*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drew Peterson trial fails to draw a crowd
Trial watchers surprised to find plenty of open seats in court for ex-Bolingbrook cop's murder case

They left home in far northwest suburban Crystal Lake about midnight Wednesday and arrived in Joliet by 2:30 a.m. Thursday — six hours before the courthouse doors opened. They had a tent. They had a cooler. Chairs to sit outside the courthouse. Cushions for inside. They had everything — except a line to stand in.

Much more at link:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...-trial-watchers-0805-20120805,0,7898642.story

Interesting article. Must be a complete blow to DP's ego, the ladies aren't lining up to 'win a seat near DrewP' in the courtroom. (Though I give the two ladies credit for arriving at 2am. It reminded me of camping out all night in February for opening day bleacher seats, fun times...)

According to the above article, interest/attendance appears to be low for all 4 days of the trial, not just the date everyone was waiting on the mistrial answer.

I thought there was a lottery to get in and get a seat? That's what one Chicago area poster said and she said it would be too crazy to try and get into the courtroom.

Color me confused!

I thought there was a lottery to get in and get a seat? That's what one Chicago area poster said and she said it would be too crazy to try and get into the courtroom.

Color me confused!

That was me that posted about the lottery. My comment upthread was based on a MSM link provided by another member about expected waits before the trial started. Apparently the numbers they expected were not there this past week.

I don't think it's right to speculate about the children, who sees them, how often etc..

Prior to Drew being arrested, Stacy's family WAS seeing the children. Just because it's not in a newspaper article, doesn't mean it wasn't happening. There was a ton of chaos in the neighborhood back then, but they were seeing the children elsewhere, and at the house.

Please don't think that I am giving DP any brownie points!! I believe he killed both Kathleen and Stacy.

Praying for all the children and hoping DP never gets to parent these kids again!

JMO

I thought the placement of the towel was in an odd place had Kathleen placed it there herself. Why would someone put a towel they were planning to dry off with hanging partially on the inside of the tub where it would have been hanging in the water had it been filled up. Also it was hanging where it would have gotten wet from the tap. As a member of the bubblebath taking population, I gotta ask wth was the soap, shampoo, any implement of bathing? Where were her clothes that she took off to get into the tub? In the event that she took her clothes off in the laundry room and did a streak through the house, why wasn't that checked out? Also blood has some degree of fatty deposits in it, if there was at one time water in the tub that slowly drained out, why was there no tub ring? There should have been a ring or residual marking at what the original water level was when Kathleen got into the tub and began to lose blood. This residue would occur for sure when you have bleeding in hot water which then sits and cools. The position of the body was totally off for someone falling and gashing their head in the tub and being knocked unconcious and then drowning. I would love to see an expert like Henry Lee's take on the whole crime scene. Who were the bozo's that worked this case in the 1st place? I am sorry for the long winded post but this whole case makes me want to smack several people in the head and ask why they dropped the ball so badly. And at the risk offending people, regarding the statement of Stacy Peterson to Kathleen's attorney in reference to her knowing that DP had killed Kathleen and could that be used to get more money in the divorce. That is so sad to think Stacy knew all along. Did her conscience ever bother her looking into the faces of Kathleen's children knowing who killed their mom or trying to cash in on that knowledge after the fact? I'm sure that I'm not the only person who thought that was kinda messed up. I just hope in the long run that DP gets his just reward for all that he has done and goes to jail where someone will smack that smirk off his face.

What's really tragic is that both Kathleen and Stacy knew that DP was going to kill them. And they didn't run for their lives (taking their children, of course).

If this case provides any lessons at all it is this: if you are in a situation in which you feel your life may be in danger, or your partner has threatened your life even one time, THAT is the point you need to get the hell out.

Take your kids and go to a shelter, if you have no other resources. Get the shelter to help you legally with a restraining order, and then for goodness sakes, stay in hiding so your potential killer cannot find you. There is help out there and monies available to help keep you safe. Do not continue to go about your daily routine thinking everything will be fine. Save yourself, save your children, save your future!

To any legal minds here, I saw that DP's defense team was appealing the hearsay decisions, then dropped the appeal to object to the hearsay statements one by one at trial. Does this mean that the current judge can decide not to let in the statements that were already approved by the former judge? tia

it was and is first come first serve. There was a line there and the courtroom is quite small with limited seats. The article is correct that there wasn't a massive showing of general public interest as expected, but the room was still filled to capacity.

Color me confused!

Welcome to WS sfnelson67!

:welcome:

I thought the placement of the towel was in an odd place had Kathleen placed it there herself. Why would someone put a towel they were planning to dry off with hanging partially on the inside of the tub where it would have been hanging in the water had it been filled up. Also it was hanging where it would have gotten wet from the tap. As a member of the bubblebath taking population, I gotta ask wth was the soap, shampoo, any implement of bathing? Where were her clothes that she took off to get into the tub? In the event that she took her clothes off in the laundry room and did a streak through the house, why wasn't that checked out? Also blood has some degree of fatty deposits in it, if there was at one time water in the tub that slowly drained out, why was there no tub ring? There should have been a ring or residual marking at what the original water level was when Kathleen got into the tub and began to lose blood. This residue would occur for sure when you have bleeding in hot water which then sits and cools. The position of the body was totally off for someone falling and gashing their head in the tub and being knocked unconcious and then drowning. I would love to see an expert like Henry Lee's take on the whole crime scene. Who were the bozo's that worked this case in the 1st place? I am sorry for the long winded post but this whole case makes me want to smack several people in the head and ask why they dropped the ball so badly. And at the risk offending people, regarding the statement of Stacy Peterson to Kathleen's attorney in reference to her knowing that DP had killed Kathleen and could that be used to get more money in the divorce. That is so sad to think Stacy knew all along. Did her conscience ever bother her looking into the faces of Kathleen's children knowing who killed their mom or trying to cash in on that knowledge after the fact? I'm sure that I'm not the only person who thought that was kinda messed up. I just hope in the long run that DP gets his just reward for all that he has done and goes to jail where someone will smack that smirk off his face.
Welcome! :welcome4:

Great insight! I recall a photo of Kathleen in the bathtub and what appeared to be soap bottles standing up at the end of the tub near the faucet, which was strange considering she supposedly hit her head on the faucet. Nothing looked out of place. As for residue, in the photo I saw, it appeared to be a darkish stain on the side of the tub, however nothing what one would expect had blood been in the water before it drained. It appeared just to be a water stain. There was nothing in the photo to suggest head trauma occurred once she had gotten into the tub, but rather that she had been placed in there once unconscious or deceased and equally surprised her death had been ruled as a accidental drowning in the first place.

MOO

Welcome! :welcome4:

Great insight! I recall a photo of Kathleen in the bathtub and what appeared to be soap bottles standing up at the end of the tub near the faucet, which was strange considering she supposedly hit her head on the faucet. Nothing looked out of place. As for residue, in the photo I saw, it appeared to be a darkish stain on the side of the tub, however nothing what one would expect had blood been in the water before it drained. It appeared just to be a water stain. There was nothing in the photo to suggest head trauma occurred once she had gotten into the tub, but rather that she had been placed in there once unconscious or deceased and equally surprised her death had been ruled as a accidental drowning in the first place.

MOO

Besides ALL of that--- how many times does a healthy, grown, sober woman
go take a bath and DIE from drowning. What are the odds?

Especially in that size tub where there would be a lot of room to avoid hitting ones head on the faucet!! Furthermore, to be more technical, how would one hit ones head so hard to immediately become unconscious and not try to get out of the tub?

:waitasec:

MOO

Especially in that size tub where there would be a lot of room to avoid hitting ones head on the faucet!! Furthermore, to be more technical, how would one hit ones head so hard to immediately become unconscious and not try to get out of the tub?

:waitasec:

MOO

Good point. It takes quite a forceful fall to actually die from a hit on the head. I hit my head quite hard on the side of a swimming pool one time, the concrete lip of the pool, and I was being 'thrown' in by friends. I passed out for a second or so, but hitting the water woke me up. I did not just sink to the bottom and drown.

Good point. It takes quite a forceful fall to actually die from a hit on the head. I hit my head quite hard on the side of a swimming pool one time, the concrete lip of the pool, and I was being 'thrown' in by friends. I passed out for a second or so, but hitting the water woke me up. I did not just sink to the bottom and drown.

Exactly. A bleeding head wound and no blood on the faucet either?

However, in addition to this contrived "drowning", one of the most telling aspects was DP's apparent concern for her, yet he, as LE, did not enter the house but rather called a locksmith, and had a neighbor enter to discover the body. That in itself speaks volumes, imo.

MOO

a host of ailments.....was being treated for depression, anxiety (small wonder about those, huh? Sheesh....who wouldn't be anxious and depressed in those circumstances?) as well as some blood pressure issues........they made reference to some medications on a counter downstairs (Zoloft and others) Drugs and alcohol and a heart condition were enough to kill Whitney Houston in a bathtub. I really hope that Whitney's sad fate won't bias the jury in this trial.
I don't think that Kathleen was ill.....she was a healthy, strong woman who like most human beings over the age of 35 has some health issues none of which would cause one to drown in a tub.

I'm a bit perplexed at the plethora of posts alluding to the 'obvious bias' Judge Burmilla has AGAINST the prosecution (Glasgow).

In the interest of full disclosure, I do work in Will County a few days out of each month. Perhaps it is a bias that I, myself have, and am not aware of (we've all got 'em sometimes) but....Burmilla is one of the best. Truly. Despite the election BS and Glasgow's obvious campaigning with this trial - that is what these guys DO. It's, to an extent, their JOB to try to get re-elected - via an excellent prosecution of the criminally charged, well within the confines of the law.

To say that Judge Burmilla is in any way a 'defense judge' is not based in reality (in my humble opinion). He's simply too straight-laced for any of that nonsense - and although NO judge I've every come into contact with enjoys being overturned on appeal - he relishes following the law to a 'T' (IMO).

JMO and all that.

Somewhat O/T (Goes as to Judge's temperament etc)
Okay, I must amend my earlier statement. A friend just reminded me of a case about a month ago in 403 (Burmilla's courtroom). A twenty-something woman was at her sentencing for AGG DUI (due to having her child in the car, keys in ignition, in her driveway, while drunk) - and the woman's father, INTOXICATED, had a bit of a tantrum at sentencing. Burmilla locked him up for contempt - he was, IMO, somewhat livid that the father, who was the primary caregiver and temp. custodian of the minor child, would show up drunk to court - who was/would be watching the kid - mommy in WCADF and now Grandpa drunk at court?
Although I'm aware there is precedent for such a charge of contempt, I was surprised to see Burmilla 'snap' on him.
FWIW, and just as an aside .

a host of ailments.....was being treated for depression, anxiety (small wonder about those, huh? Sheesh....who wouldn't be anxious and depressed in those circumstances?) as well as some blood pressure issues........they made reference to some medications on a counter downstairs (Zoloft and others) Drugs and alcohol and a heart condition were enough to kill Whitney Houston in a bathtub. I really hope that Whitney's sad fate won't bias the jury in this trial.
I don't think that Kathleen was ill.....she was a healthy, strong woman who like most human beings over the age of 35 has some health issues none of which would cause one to drown in a tub.

There doesn't seem to be any comparison between what Kathleen may or may not have taken prior to her death and celebrities who have abused drugs for years and drowned in bathtubs. Hopefully the jury will have some common sense and study the photo carefully and notice what is absent from the picture - namely any sign pointing to an injury caused by hitting her head on the faucet.

MOO

What's really tragic is that both Kathleen and Stacy knew that DP was going to kill them. And they didn't run for their lives (taking their children, of course).

If this case provides any lessons at all it is this: if you are in a situation in which you feel your life may be in danger, or your partner has threatened your life even one time, THAT is the point you need to get the hell out.

Take your kids and go to a shelter, if you have no other resources. Get the shelter to help you legally with a restraining order, and then for goodness sakes, stay in hiding so your potential killer cannot find you. There is help out there and monies available to help keep you safe. Do not continue to go about your daily routine thinking everything will be fine. Save yourself, save your children, save your future!

ITA, however, DVA's threaten your extended family. My ex went thru my Fathers home with a sledgehammer. I was in a Shelter that deemed my kids so cute as to take pics of them for their purposes and promptly deemed me highly suspect to return to my abuser. I was sent to a shelter where I was threatened because of my race and between my Father being threatened and nowhere to go? Its just complicated. I did get away...on my own. Maybe Kathleen and Stacy feared for their families? IDK

Ty for all the welcomes.. I saw post somewhere which posed the theory that Kathleen was drowned by DP shoving her head down into the toilet. To me that would be totally plausible. It would explain the absence of bathroom rugs, her clothes, etc. It would also explain her odd positioning in the bathtub. Had blood been found anywhere but the bathtub then you would guess that the tub wasn't where she got her head wounds, thus cancelling out the whole drowning in the bath theory. This is my question...Once the police changed her manner of death to homicide, did they go back and luminol the whole bathroom. Some tiles are porous to a degree as well as other surfaces you might find in a bathroom. As good as DP thinks he is there are always cracks and crannies that you can't get no matter how good you clean. They have recovered blood from scenes that were numerous years old in other cases. I know the house has changed hands in the years that followed Kathleen's death. I would suspect that there is still something there that can 't be seen by the naked eye. I am curious if this was done and if not, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member