2008.06.16 James T. says he saw Caylee alive around Noon #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to give the guy the benefit of doubt, I know from back in the day (long long time ago, in a galaxy far far away LOL), detectives would investigate the information (sometimes for ages), before taking a "formal" statement, sometimes to protect the witness.

I wonder if LE was protecting the information he gave them till it could be confirmed and no longer held under "investigative product"

If Casey was thinking about shoplifting or passing a bad check I can easily see why she would choose to go to a store farther away from her beaten path. Maybe she felt like she had pushed her luck enough with Target lately and was trying out a new store chain to rob?

If Casey were "hiding out" and killing time while waiting for GA to leave the house I can easily see why she would choose to hang out somewhere off the beaten path where there was a chance she might be spotted by her father or anyone else who knew her and knew she was supposed to be "at work".

Thank you, I think you caught the overall gist of my post, chances are she was up to something nefarious.

Isn't the Casselberry area near where AL lived?

With all the news coverage from day one regarding Caylee's disappearance, Casey being arrested, bonded out, arrested again, bonded out, arrested again, all the searches, all the documents/videos released, finding Caylee in December, the Memorial in February and now this individual comes forward a YEAR later remembering Casey came into his store! None of this makes any sense to me based on the fact that he was so detailed about a "hot" Casey.

If Casey left such a lasting impression in this persons mind as well as the child he spotted, why did he wait a year?

IMO, If anything, this person would have come forward on July 16th, when Casey was arrested only a month after he "allegedly" spotted Casey and Caylee.

I dunno, Patty, you are probably right, first impressions often have more clarity, and my first impression was that he was immature and goofy.

BUT! Maybe he really thought she was hot, not abnormal, and he wanted to explain within his statement why he was even paying attention to her/semi-stalking her.

When this case first broke, a few posters here said their male family members would give KC the benefit of the doubt based simply on the fact that she is cute. Maybe this guy did, too, but has seen a lot more from the case and is beginning to have second thoughts.

Or, maybe he did not really desire to be involved in this-That compulsion is normal, but I wish he would have overruled that in his mind and done the right thing anyway.

We shall see, the fortunate thing is that he gave pointers that should have back-up, like Wal-Mart-Even if there is no video, there could be receipts or credit card transactions, if KC bought anything.

We shall see, the fortunate thing is that he gave pointers that should have back-up, like Wal-Mart-Even if there is no video, there could be receipts or credit card transactions, if KC bought anything.
*snipped*

...adding that receipts or card transactions of JT's would be just as helpful - not to mention having a longer shelf life than surveil videos - @ nailing down the date & time re: Walmart sighting.

Isn't the Casselberry area near where AL lived?

FWIW...Georgia PI created a Google Map for each important day of the period for which we have Casey's cell pings. He placed markers on each of them w/ key landmarks for the day. These are located in the Case Analysis Forum (IIRC its the ~4th link from the top of the page when you are on the main Caylee Forum page (i.e. "Caylee Anthony 2 years old").

For convenience, here's a link to the ping map for 6/10/08 that shows the 2 pings supporting that Casey & Caylee were @ JT's Techbay store that afternoon. The "wrench" marker is placed on Tom's Auto repair where Casey & Caylee dropped Tony to pick-up his Jeep. The Techbay store is maybe a mile south of Tom's shop down North Orlando Ave. The Casselberry Walmart can be seen in the satelitte view of this map located in the fork of the road created by State Rd 436 a.k.a. Semoran Blvd. & Lake Howell Rd. The Casselberry Walmart is 4.4 miles driving distance from Tony's apt.

ETA: I'll ask Georgia PI if he'll place a marker on Walmart & Techbay on the 6/10 map when/if he gets time. Dunno 'bout putting it on 6/16...

HTH.

Just to give the guy the benefit of doubt, I know from back in the day (long long time ago, in a galaxy far far away LOL), detectives would investigate the information (sometimes for ages), before taking a "formal" statement, sometimes to protect the witness.

I wonder if LE was protecting the information he gave them till it could be confirmed and no longer held under "investigative product"

You know, that makes sense! And it also goes along w/ my thinking that if this guy is a State's witness, they are not putting him on the stand carelessly. He will be subject to cross, so they must feel he has solid testimony.

(Sorry to sound like a broken record, but your post jumped out at me.)

Yes, but isn't that walmart closer to where AL lived?

It is closer to Tony's apt., QB. However, re: 6/16, FWIW, Casey's cell pings place her phone @ the G&C's home Monday morning, 6/16. And there are activities in that period that would mean Casey was with her phone (e.g. 8:46AM sending text to Tony & incoming call taken @ 11:47AM).

So...its certainly not outta the question Casey & Caylee visited the Casselberry Walmart on some occasion(s). And its even plausible that they did 6/16 mid-morning...its just that Casey's starting point that morning would appears to be G&C's place.

How do we know "when" he came forward? I'm not sure we can say he only contacted LE recently. They surely had to look into & then verify any information he gave them by some means. My guess is they are holding a lot of information & details about this and many other issues, very close to the vest. For example, if they have information about Forensics, witness testimony, soil, finger print, duct tape evidence, but are still exploring pieces of information, none of that will have been released. MOO

I guess my point is that it is plausible that she shopped in that area since her current bf lived in the area. The pings for that day are the problem, imo, but it is also plausible that the dates are wrong.
I tend to believe this witness but who knows, there have been people inserting themselves into this from the start.
The date of the witness statement is also a problem. There is that lingering question of why he did not come forward sooner.

However, on the other hand, this witness has kept a very low profile and apparently refused comment when media contacted him. Lends more credibility, imo.

I guess my point is that it is plausible that she shopped in that area since her current bf lived in the area. The pings for that day are the problem, imo, but it is also plausible that the dates are wrong.
I tend to believe this witness but who knows, there have been people inserting themselves into this from the start.
The date of the witness statement is also a problem. There is that lingering question of why he did not come forward sooner.

IKWYM, QB, re: this store bein' in a location that would be natural for them to visit. Agree.

I really like the idea bein' put forth on the thread that the long lag time associated w/ this statement is due to an LE/SA strategy vs. the witness not coming forward. But, that's 'cause I wanna believe that...not 'cause I think I should. :bang: If he hadn't made the last statement about not thinking it was important until now (presumably the time of writing it)...which even still coulda been, er...let's say...:waitasec: "coached"...:) I like everything 'bout his statement up to that point.

Have considered the idea that an effort might've been afoot to have an eyewitness place Casey & Caylee out'n about in closer agreement w/ George's 12:50PM statement wrt 6/16. :waitasec: Not entirely outta the question...but considering the time he had to come up w/ the story...IF that had been the motive it seems like he would've gone to greater lengths to come up w/ something that would fit the pings better for the day IYKWIM. Add that to his negative characterization of the Casey/Caylee interaction and I think its OK to say he isn't being planted by the defendant.

One thing I did note in re-reading his statement this morning....

JT specifically mentioned that when Casey & Caylee were leaving his Techbay store (6/10) that they left "separately" and that this is when he took the opportunity to tell Caylee that she could get another if she came back and was good. IOW...since he'd apparently p'd off Casey he waited until she was out of earshot (outside) to tell Caylee she could get 'nother. (IIRC).

Perhaps there's something about this memory that is getting transposed with the Walmart memory of Caylee struggling w/ the door, eh? So...if that's the case we don't hafta worry so much 'bout the Walmart doors IYKWIM. :thumb: It would also fit the characterization of the dynamic 'tween Casey & Caylee per the beanie baby incident and the "I can do this.." attitude he ascribed to Caylee opening the door.

FWIW...here's a pic of the Techbay storefront, hence, the door being discussed above.

base_media

Considering the time it took for LE to jump right on information like RK's suspicions in the woods, they may be working backwards now to recheck all plausible leads that could have been dismissed or put on the back burner early in the investigation. RK tried on more than one occasion, remember--and they didn't get a statement from him until after Caylee was recovered. Lunchtime at walmart on 6/16....--when was she in the video store with the bf?

Ironically, the Techbay storefront appears to have a sign that indicates surveillance cameras in use.

I dunno, Patty, you are probably right, first impressions often have more clarity, and my first impression was that he was immature and goofy.

BUT! Maybe he really thought she was hot, not abnormal, and he wanted to explain within his statement why he was even paying attention to her/semi-stalking her.

When this case first broke, a few posters here said their male family members would give KC the benefit of the doubt based simply on the fact that she is cute. Maybe this guy did, too, but has seen a lot more from the case and is beginning to have second thoughts.

Or, maybe he did not really desire to be involved in this-That compulsion is normal, but I wish he would have overruled that in his mind and done the right thing anyway.

Maybe he was reluctant to get involved because he didnt want to be a "character of interest" for Cindy to investigate and accuse of the crime!

BJB,

I want to believe it too . I don't have a problem with anything else he said either except when I noted the date of the statement. LE probably did question why he waited, hence the explanation in the statement.
That was a very good catch about them leaving separately from TechBay. Strange behaviour and if true does show the dynamic between them, very important I would think for the SA.
Thanks for the photo of TechBay, a very good explanation to explain the incident with the 'doors'.
You wouldn't happen to have a pic of the beanie baby would you? ;) I think it would be very very interesting if the witness also provided information about that.

Considering the time it took for LE to jump right on information like RK's suspicions in the woods, they may be working backwards now to recheck all plausible leads that could have been dismissed or put on the back burner early in the investigation. RK tried on more than one occasion, remember--and they didn't get a statement from him until after Caylee was recovered. Lunchtime at walmart on 6/16....--when was she in the video store with the bf?

That is an excellent point.

I only got through a couple pages & now my chores are calling. So forgive me if this has already been said. I do plan to read when time permits.

One of my issues is how he said KC was treating Caylee. I question it since we have not heard one single person in her life say they saw her mistreat Caylee at any given time (yet anyway ;) ). Remember she was a "doting mother". She seemed to never lose patience. So why would she slip up in this particualr instance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NPOL1566