Amanda Knox tried for the murder of Meredith Kercher in Italy *NEW TRIAL*#13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you and I resent anyone trying to tell me that I've been spoonfed information. People who feel the two are guilty are quite often rudely dismissive of any evidence they don't agree with, to the point of not reading it.

Yes, Quesarita, I was also talking about the American public in general. I believe you are not even in the United States, so you would be excluded anyway and of course you are excluded since you are on Websleuths :)

I have no problem with people looking at and analyzing the evidence to the extent that you have done, or even some percentage of what you have done, and then coming to a decision, whatever that decision may be.

I am talking about the people in the United States who read the headline "Amanda Knox wrongfully imprisoned," with a picture of her, and then think what a story she must have, this pretty young woman....imagining what kind of torture and horrors she must have undergone in that prison....how can they accuse such a sweet, pretty young girl of such a horrible crime?! And then go and buy the book or books proclaiming her innocence.

Or watch one Dateline interview with this mature and poised and pretty woman and come to the same conclusion....go and buy the book or books proclaiming her innocence.

I think when people are referred to as spoon fed the pr spin, it reference to people who follow only what the media says without doing their own looking into it. It's very clear the media can make people believe one thing when another thing happened.

It's also clear that people on forums do actually look into the evidence and have made up their own minds. It's more reference to the masses.

Trust me I get tired of being called a guilter, hater, and whatever else too simply because I think they are guilty. I understand the feelings because trust me the rude dismissive behavior comes from both sides.

Yes to all of that.

BBM

Knox wasn't wrongfully convicted. Her conviction was upheld by the Supreme Court and it's a fact, whether she likes it or not. Hopefully she'll think twice before she accusing anyone of murder in the future.
By the same standards, if she is found innocent, you could be in jeopardy of being put in jail for calunia.

First off we'll see if the European court upholds the conviction of calunia. My guess is that there was an obvious violation of Amanda's civil rights during the interrogation (not being afforded a lawyer while being an obvious suspect is just one way her civil rights were abrogated). The European court has been particularly harsh on Italy for violating defendent's civil rights. I suspect that this will just be another case where they reverse a gulity verdict. If the calunia verdict is thrown out, any guilty verdict for the murder will be in question because the entire confession would be inadmissable. My understanding is that only reason it was mentioned in this this trial is that it pertained to the simultaneous civil trial. I don't think anyone can deny that its mear mention probably has a prejudicial effect on the jury deciding the murder charges. Thus, if the European court finds that the way the confession was obtained violated Amanda's civil rights, it's not a stretch to see them ordering another trial for the murder where no mention of the confession could be made.
Secondly, she was sent to jail for culunia for 3 years not 4; therefore, even if she's guilty of culunia, she wrongfully served 1 year of jail time, if she is innocent of murder.
Thirdly, she is NOT like any other innocent defendent facing a murder charge. The Italian system has already been proven to be quite fallable in her eyes. Why should she trust them?

It doesn't really matter what happened when Knox signed her first statement because that was excluded from the trial. What wasn't excluded from the trial were the two following voluntary statements submitted by Knox. She has no grounds for complaint, because no one even asked her to write those statements. It was those two statements that influenced the guilty verdict.

The fourth year in prison was for murder, not slander. The EHRC cannot comment on that until Knox formally files a complaint about the extra year, and that can't be done until the Supreme Court rules on the murder trial.

By the same standards, if she is found innocent, you could be in jeopardy of being put in jail for calunia.

Interesting thought. Since when are people that support a court decision committing slander?

It's just so hard to believe all the stories of corruption and brutality when people in Italy would rather be in prison than at home...LOL!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/02/man-asks-for-prison-wife_n_4531606.html

Italian prison seemed fairly reasonable with drama performances, story writing competitions, live music performances, dance parties, lots of visitors, and kitchen facilities in the cell. It certainly sounds better than a US prison ... most likely because Italian prison is based on rehabilitation, and US prison is based on punishment.

I wonder why is Lumumba asking for compensation from the state. Shouldn't he be billed for all the fun and cappuccinos?

I would like to someday try an authentic cappucino in Italy....though not in prison :)

Italian prison seemed fairly reasonable with drama performances, story writing competitions, live music performances, dance parties, lots of visitors, and kitchen facilities in the cell. It certainly sounds better than a US prison ... most likely because Italian prison is based on rehabilitation, and US prison is based on punishment.

The US prison industry is all profit based, why would they want to rehabilitate anyone?

I think the Italian justice system has had some odd cases and share of corruption, but so has the U.S.

From what I've seen their system actually appears to favor defendants.

The US prison industry is all profit based, why would they want to rehabilitate anyone?

I think the Itality justice system has had some odd cases and share of corruption, but so has the U.S.

From what I've seen their system actually appears to favor defendants.
Absolutely---the US has the most Draconian, punitive system in the democratized world.

Yes, Quesarita, I was also talking about the American public in general. I believe you are not even in the United States, so you would be excluded anyway and of course you are excluded since you are on Websleuths :)

I have no problem with people looking at and analyzing the evidence to the extent that you have done, or even some percentage of what you have done, and then coming to a decision, whatever that decision may be.

I am talking about the people in the United States who read the headline "Amanda Knox wrongfully imprisoned," with a picture of her, and then think what a story she must have, this pretty young woman....imagining what kind of torture and horrors she must have undergone in that prison....how can they accuse such a sweet, pretty young girl of such a horrible crime?! And then go and buy the book or books proclaiming her innocence.

Or watch one Dateline interview with this mature and poised and pretty woman and come to the same conclusion....go and buy the book or books proclaiming her innocence.

Ha, I'm very much American although I admit I don't follow MSM news closely. Still, I feel that most Americans I've talked to about this who do not follow this case (I don't know anyone besides myself who does actually) feel they're guilty.

They don't know any details, just feel that suspects on trial are generally guilty, and most have no idea a third man was tried and convicted for the same crime.

Ha, I'm very much American although I admit I don't follow MSM news closely. Still, I feel that most Americans I've talked to about this who do not follow this case (I don't know anyone besides myself who does actually) feel they're guilty.

They don't know any details, just feel that suspects on trial are generally guilty, and most have no idea a third man was tried and convicted for the same crime.

Yes, that may be. You should read the Amazon reviews of her book, though.

I almost wonder if Sollecito will sell out Knox if the guilty verdict is upheld. While she is safe in the U.S. and he is stuck in prison, he's going to be very angry.

I almost wonder if Sollecito will sell out Knox if the guilty verdict is upheld. While she is safe in the U.S. and he is stuck in prison, he's going to be very angry.
Yes, if the guilty verdicts wind up being upheld, it would seem unfair that Sollecito would be jailed, while Knox would remain free.

I don't believer that book would garner much interest in the United States, do you? People want to believe this girl has been wronged, this poor girl, look at her, being tortured and imprisoned and suffered who-knows-what in prison for 4 years. Now that's a story. Don't you agree?

Let's look at the other story - this woman Amanda was involved in the killing of a beautiful young woman Meredith, in a sick, twisted way where they either assaulted her and then stabbed her and staged a burglary, or it was accidental and then they went about staging the sexual assault, the murder, and the burglary.

Now, scenario #2 might be of interest if Amanda was an ugly, creepy-looking man or a homeless-looking overweight women with few teeth and stringy hair.....then yes, #2 would be popular and everyone would want them to "pay" for what he/she did. Go out and buy book, scenario #2.

But we see that Amanda does not look like that. She looks like a sweet woman incapable of such horrible things. Therefore, scenario #1 is where the money is in the United States.

Pro- guilt books written about Jodi Arias and Casey Anthony did well so I disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member