GUILTY CA - Dr. William Ayres for child molestation, San Mateo, 2007 #2

Mercyneal--I don't mean to come off an disrespectful but I grapple with dementia myself and thus would like to make a point. Dementia can affect a single part of the brain and could cause any number of unbiased neuros to sign Ayres off as having dementia. I was trying to make the point that Ayres could have known about this degenerative disorder for some time and drug his feet as much as possible to stave off proceedings.

You know that I fully believe the statements of the victims and think this guy is as slimy as they come but dementia is so much more complex than most people realize.

Do I think, knowing what I know, that he could stand trial?? Heck yes. But do I think that many neuros would diagnose degenerative dementia if they saw the markers of it? Most definitely. That leaves this almost at a "coin toss". He goes to trial or he doesn't. Given the fact that the defense has doctors lined up to testify, we all know what would happen if he was convicted. There would be an immediate appeal due to his "growing health issues" and the victims would be drug through yet another court proceeding.

It seems to never end for victims. He's making himself impossible to pin down....just as he has for decades.

No, I wasn't soliciting funds at all!!!

But those who feel that the San Mateo DA's office mishandled the prosecution of the Ayres case and is not doing all they can to prosecute it: you do have standing to file a complaint with the California Bar. As Sleuthers who wrote to San Mateo DA Steve Wagstaffe last fall to complain will recall, their complaints were meant with complete silence.

Any citizen has standing to complain to the California Bar on this matter.

Complaint forms can be found here:

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Attorneys/LawyerRegulation/ComplaintForm.aspx

You can complain about incompetent behavior; unethical behavior and inappropriate behavior. They will look at these complaints. You have my word on this.

MissIzzy and everyone else who took the time out to write to DA Steve Wagstaffe and got no reply last fall:
According to the California Bar Association, ANYONE can file a complaint about a prosecutor or lawyer to the Bar. You don't have to be associated with the case. So by all means, those who were outraged last fall about this case should write to the California Bar. I have been assured that they will look at all of these complaints very carefully:

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Attorneys/LawyerRegulation/ComplaintForm.aspx

I actually received a heartfelt reply from Mr. Wagstaffe...I guess I should fee special. :)

There's no excuse for the Ayres case to drag on this long.

Case in point: the Blankenburg twins, both pediatricians in Ohio. Arrested in March 2009 on more than 70 counts of child molestation, possession of child *advertiser censored* and bribery to keep the boys they molested quiet. A ziilion times more complicated than the Ayres case. The state of Ohio managed to convict one twin just seven months after the arrest. The other pled guilty two months after that.
http://www.wlwt.com/r/21317837/detail.html

There are other cases of pedophile doctors who have been arrested and convicted since Ayres was arrested in 2007.

Some people are asking that the Ayres case be taken over by the Attorney General's office. We think that's a good idea.

Perhaps the San Mateo DA's office has been dragging its feet for fear of lawsuits against the County. Ayres had a contract with the courts for years, despite the fact that there were many molestation complaints against him.

There's no excuse for the Ayres case to drag on this long.

Case in point: the Blankenburg twins, both pediatricians in Ohio. Arrested in March 2009 on more than 70 counts of child molestation, possession of child *advertiser censored* and bribery to keep the boys they molested quiet. A ziilion times more complicated than the Ayres case. The state of Ohio managed to convict one twin just seven months after the arrest. The other pled guilty two months after that.
http://www.wlwt.com/r/21317837/detail.html

There are other cases of pedophile doctors who have been arrested and convicted since Ayres was arrested in 2007.

Some people are asking that the Ayres case be taken over by the Attorney General's office. We think that's a good idea.

Perhaps the San Mateo DA's office has been dragging its feet for fear of lawsuits against the County. Ayres had a contract with the courts for years, despite the fact that there were many molestation complaints against him.

BBM-I absolutely believe this. 100%. Somewhere in that county there is a judge who had an inkling, other people involved in Social Services who had an inkling or even downright KNEW, and that is who San Mateo is protecting.

Re-victimizing the victims, protecting a known prolific pedophile...how is it possible to look in the mirror? Really???

Thanks Believe09. May I remind people here that it was Mitch Garabedian who helped get the front page story on the Ayres case in the Boston Globe last year. He's looking for Boston victims, as are the Boston Police.

Also, a reminder, we are told by the California Bar that ANYONE has standing to file complaints to the California Bar if they feel that there has been misconduct or incompetence or inappropriate conduct by the San Mateo DA's office in the Ayres case.

If you do file a complaint, you will need the following information

Case number: SC064366 AYRES, WILLIAM HAMILTON, filed 08-21-2007

Redwood City, California courthouse.

A poster named Catfish86 over at the Ayres thread at www.malesurvivor.org had this to say about filing complaints to the Bar about the San Mateo DA's (mis)handling of the case:
"The complaint with the bar is a viable avenue to file grievances. When filing stick to facts. One important factor is the failure to recuse when the court system and prosecution has had a concractual and ongoing relationship with the defendant with possibilty of liability if defendant is convicted."

The going belief is that Ayres will never be retried for his crimes. In addition to not having the satisfaction of seeing Ayres behind bars, this is also troubling for the victims who have filed civil suits.

For those who believe that the San Mateo District Attorney's office has been incompetent, unethical and/or inappropriate on this case, in addition to the California Bar, you can also contact Cookie Ridolfi, Director of the Northern California Innocence Project. Ridolfi just came out with a study showing that prosecutorial misconduct in California is rampant and that prosecutors are seldom disciplined.

Rest assured that the Northern California Innocence Project is very aware of the Dr. William Ayres case.

Contact Ridolfi at: 408-554-4790.
or kridolfi@scu.edu

http://law.scu.edu/site/cookie-ridolfi/

We have been informed that the new President of the California Bar is taking a keen interest in District Attorney's offices who "dump" cases they don't want to work on, or don't work hard on cases they hope they will never have to prosecute.

To quote a poster named Catfish86 over at www.malesurvivor.org, a key thing to consider is that if Ayres were convicted, San Mateo County would be open to a whole slew of lawsuits. When Juvenile Judge Marta Diaz worked in the DA's office as a prosecutor, she sent boys to Ayres.

Catfish says, "One important factor is the failure to recuse when the court system and prosecution has had a concractual and ongoing relationship with the defendant with possibilty of liability if defendant is convicted."

Off topic but also related: Nina Salarno Ashford, the Crime Victims United lawyer who is representing the family who is suing the San Mateo District Attorney's office and Ayres prosecutor Melissa Mckowan for fraud and lying to a judge to get out of another child molestation case, is representing the family of the victim who was killed by a gang that included the son of a California politician. They are suing because just before he left office, Schwarzenegger reduced the sentence of the prisoner.

LA Times article:http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-nunez-20110121,0,2267060.story

I so get why the family is going after the state in that case. Imagine being told by a reporter that the accomplice to your son's murder was walking out because someone was scratching someone else's back. Shameful.

She should take on the 16 year old whose sentence was "reduced" to 25-life for shooting her former pimp.

There's a news story out in a paper in San Mateo County today- the county where the Ayres trial took place. It talks about an FBI investigation. We have reason to believe the investigation has something to do with the San Mateo District Attorney's office:
http://www.almanacnews.com/news/show_story.php?id=8288

When we say, "It has something to do with the San Mateo District Attorney's office" - we don't mean that the San Mateo DA's office is working with the FBI on this. That's all we're saying at this point.

Today the Atherton Almanac updated their story about the FBI investigation . The gist of it is that the FBI investigation is not limited to the police in Atherton and extends to others who work in San Mateo County.

Here are their newest additions to the story: http://www.AlmanacNews.com/news/show_story.php?id=8288

The FBI is interviewing Atherton residents and others about town matters, according to a former employee who said he was interviewed recently. But the federal law enforcement agency's interest apparently goes beyond the town's borders, according to another person who was interviewed and who contacted The Almanac.
And,
A reliable source who also was interviewed by two FBI agents and who contacted The Almanac said the agents' interests extended to "a number of people who work for the county." The person spoke on condition of anonymity.

Don't miss the comments section below the story.

Hmmm. A poster mentions WS. Hopefully, we'll have some new readers. I wonder just how far outside the borders of Atherton this investigation might reach?

For those of us who don't live in San Mateo County but are alarmed by what is going on there, I have to say it's encouraging news that finally, an agency like the FBI is investigating.

From our perspective, the misconduct goes far beyond Atherton. Bear in mind that in addition to a lawsuit by a man named Jon Buckheit against the Atherton Police for false arrest; for falsifying a police report and against San Mateo DA Steve Wagstaffe for refusing to turn over his police report (Buckheit just won a statement of factual innocence against the County) , there are a number of other citizens who have filed suits in federal court against the San Mateo District Attorney's office and the county.

Noteworthy lawsuits include the one filed by the Cevasco family against the San Mateo DA and prosecutor Melissa Mckowan ( who as Websleuths readers are well aware- is the prosecutor on the Ayres case ) for lying to a judge and fraud. Their lawyer is Nina Salarno Ashford of Crime Victims United. Salarno Ashford also represents the family who has a lawsuit against Schwarzenegger for reducing the sentence of the son of the politician in a murder case.

- Also, San Carlos resident Mark Adams- whose case bears some similarities to Buckheit's - is now going for a statement of factual innocence. His case was covered in the press a week ago.

It's good to see that citizens are fighting back. The San Mateo DA's office is not used to being challenged, and now that they are, they are not conducting themselves in a manner that is becoming. Quite frankly, they've been arrogant.

One citizen who wrote to the San Mateo DA's office to point out egregious prosecutorial misconduct by prosecutor Melissa Mckowan on the Ayres case received a letter from the DA, advising the citizen not to publicly criticize the prosecutor, as it "would accomplish nothing."

If anyone who is reading this blog believes they are a victim of police or prosecutorial misconduct in San Mateo County, they need to speak up. Contact Renee Batti at the Atherton Almanac. She is asking that victims get in touch with her. Her email is rbatti@almanacnews.com.

Or, contact the FBI or the Attorney General's office or the Northern California Innocence Project. Write to the Justice Department in DC.

Speak out, and fight back!

This isn't good news for the Ayres victims who have civil cases against him. Last week a judge signed an order staying the cases until the completion of the criminal trial. And given that it looks iffy for another criminal trial, this isn't good.

Case CIV467741 - CLARK DOE VS JOHN DOE 1 ET AL

02/08/2011 ORDER GRANTING STAY OF CASE PENDING CRIMINAL TRIAL OF JOHN DOE 1, SIGNED BY JUDGE FREEMAN ON 02/04/11 FILED.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back