Identified! UT - Salt Lake City, Body in Red Butte Creek, Jun'10 - Douglas Nelson

Ok I am very very new at this but I am curious if anyone thinks this could be Douglas Nelson who has been missing since I believe August. I am really just trying to find some information on him as he is my neighbors cousin. I don't know much other then he went missing in the Salt Lake area last August after leaving a hospital.

Absolutely. It is within walking distance IF he was at the U of U hospital which is sounds like he was. Probably a mile.

The Friends and Family Facebook page has confirmed that the body from Red Butte Creek is that of a male.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&gid=198478842187

This is what the FB page said in the entry from 14 minutes ago:
There is still no confirmation on the gender of this body. Let's please remember, whomever this is, someone has lost a loved one. Prayers to this person's family!:waitasec:

Jules_SA, I followed your link and that was not what they said at all- what they said is what I copied and pasted above. Not sure how the info got mixed up but I thought it important to straighten it out!

What's that sound I hear? Running? North? Towards Canada?

Seriously, I don't know SLC very well. Is it feasible for him to have driving to this place and dumped her upstream? Near a dam, is it? Anyone from the area who could shed some light on this development?

Wouldn't this be a lousy, yet sweet father's day present for Chuck Cox?

[bbm]

hopefully not
we have enough of our own murderers - don't need any more tyvm :p

This is what the FB page said in the entry from 14 minutes ago:
There is still no confirmation on the gender of this body. Let's please remember, whomever this is, someone has lost a loved one. Prayers to this person's family!:waitasec:

Jules_SA, I followed your link and that was not what they said at all- what they said is what I copied and pasted above. Not sure how the info got mixed up but I thought it important to straighten it out!

There was an update tweeted several hours ago from Shelby Gifford that was showing on that FB page earlier today. You can see it here, along with statements made afterwards that there has been no ID of the remains yet. I'm unsure of why she said earlier that the remains were male. ???

http://twitter.com/FindSusan

There was an update tweeted several hours ago from Shelby Gifford that was showing on that FB page earlier today. ... I'm unsure of why she said earlier that the remains were male. ???
[snipped for space]

The Twitter page shows she is citing the local Salt Lake media. She must've gotten her info from them, and they are apparently changing their story.

Hi All

My apologies - I actually quoted from an earlier source, also an administrator of the F&F page, who stated: "Body in Red Butte confirmed by media that of a male and therefore not Susan Cox Powell. Still searching, and sad for whomever lost a loved one in the
creek."

The media reports are now clearly stating that until the autopsy is complete they will not know the gender. I'll delete my previous post for the sake of clarity :)

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=11257579

Police: It will take time to ID body found in Red Butte Creek
June 21st, 2010 @ 3:25pm

SALT LAKE CITY -- Police say it could take some time, before the remains found at the University of Utah are identified. Two Chevron workers cleaning up an oil spill found the remains in Red Butte Creek Sunday.
An autopsy was performed on the body Monday afternoon, and University of Utah police are now waiting for the results. They say because the body was so badly decomposed, it may have been in the creek for months.
Police know very little about the remains, including whether they are that of a man or woman. They say there's nothing to indicate foul play. There were some clothes on the body but no identification.
Police say, generally, when a body is such advanced stages of decomposition, the medical examiner will look at bone structure to determine its gender. They say the skeleton can also reveal height and weight. This can be a time-consuming process.
"It takes time to get dental records, if you have any dental records, but then you have to have an idea of who the person might be; and at this point in time, we don't have any idea of who this person might be," said Capt. Lynn Mitchell, with the University of Utah Police Department.
snipped......

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=11257579

It always seems someone somewhere is finding a body along the Wasatch front. We have so many little canyons, water ways, fields, wooded areas, we have a large homeless population. However where this body was located is not anywhere near the homeless shelter or where the homeless usually hang out.

Technically, at this point, Susan is homeless.
Just saying...

Body just got identified as 52-year-old Douglas Nelson, according to KSL:

SALT LAKE CITY -- Police have identified the remains found at the University of Utah Sunday. They say the body is that of 52-year-old Douglas Nelson.

Two Chevron workers cleaning up an oil spill found Nelson's remains in Red Butte Creek. An autopsy performed Monday afternoon helped to identify him.

Police say Nelson was reported missing from Summit County on August 25, 2009. He last known to be near the University Health Sciences Center five days before.

Police say Nelson activated an emergency phone just before 11 p.m. that evening, looking for a ride off campus. He was then directed to the emergency room and was seen heading that way by campus officers.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=11257579 (continued at source)

It's not Susan. Josh is breathing a sigh of relief and I'm too frustrated to say anymore.

It's not Susan. Josh is breathing a sigh of relief and I'm too frustrated to say anymore.

You know... I doubt he was concerned because he knew she wasn't there. Like I don't think Scott Peterson would have been concerned if a body was found in a pond near his home. He KNEW she was in the bay, totally unconnected.

Josh knows where he put her, so he wasn't concerned because he knew he didn't put her in water or anywhere that she would have ended up in water. (IMO) :banghead:

Ok I am very very new at this but I am curious if anyone thinks this could be Douglas Nelson who has been missing since I believe August. I am really just trying to find some information on him as he is my neighbors cousin. I don't know much other then he went missing in the Salt Lake area last August after leaving a hospital.

BUMPING TO GIVE A BIG BRAVO -- 5 posts and you already solved one!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo::woohoo:Stick around!!!!!!!!!!
WANTED TO ADD: HUGS TO YOUR COUSIN and of course Douglas's family. I am glad they have closure.

It's definitely "south" and it seems to me that there was time. This is straight down the interstate, so if any road was plowed, that would be it.

Steven Koercher (sp?) is from St. George......missing/last seen in Vegas area, though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back