Found Deceased SC - Brittanee Drexel, 17, Myrtle Beach, 25 April 2009 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinkng the same thing how do they know this. These broad statements with no other facts are really frustrating especially when it seems the case has moved know where since they announced their persons of interest

Originally sniped fromLLLindsayy

information about her would be revealed when a 37-year-old McClellanville man, Timothy Shaun Taylor, was arrested in July on charges he tried to kidnap a 20-year-old Tennessee woman in the same area on Ocean Boulevard where Drexel was last seen.

But there is not a connection between the two cases,"

............................? Can they really say that for certain?[/QUOTE]

Watching Britts story now on ID

Just got home from watching 'Disappeared.' I had to watch it at my boyfriend's house because I don't get that channel! At least I got to see it.

I have an entire notebook page full of notes that I took on information that I either hadn't heard before or just facts that I've never seen confirmed definitively. Unfortunately, it's way past my bed time and I have to get up super early tomorrow.

I'll have time to post my recap tomorrow evening if you guys want to wait that long and if other people don't get to it before I'm able.

But before I go today, I'll share the most interesting and *new* piece of information that I learned. I had no idea that Brittanee overdosed twice on her mother's pain medications shortly before her spring break. Her dad says that she was in the hospital as well. Not that this affects the case (at least no one thinks it does), but I found it interesting.

More tomorrow!

*edit* just going to throw in that they also revealed Britt's last text message to JG and that it stated that when she got back to her hotel she was probably just going to pack and then go to sleep.

I watched the show as well. I also did not know that she over dosed on pain medication. I just remember the media stating that she was depressed about the recent divorce.
I was most surprised that the searchers on the show said that in that particular area where the cell phone last pinged, she would have been eaten within 6 hours.
According to people on the show, the sunglasses do not have DNA on them. There were some theories thrown out there that they were just some one else's sunglasses or someone was trying to throw off the search. JG stated that he didn't recognize the sunglasses.
It sounds like quite a search operation...they have to run atvs through the area to scare the alligators before the cadaver dogs can come in...It really does sound like she's in a very desolate area or ....her phone is... They never said they found the cell phone. They stated that there were persons of interest but BD's mom stated she thinks BD is still alive and being held against her will. It was really sad watching her boyfriend and I'm sure he feels responsible in alot of ways.
They stated the times on the last text and also the last time she texted John. I am sure someone who took notes will be able to chime in on that.
Other random thoughts I had...the traffic camera...what cars went by that camera? Is there a chance that they looped around and went by that camera? There seems to be so many variables in this case. It makes you want to put a gps chip in all your kids' heads like they do your dogs now...

I watched the show as well. I also did not know that she over dosed on pain medication. I just remember the media stating that she was depressed about the recent divorce.
I was most surprised that the searchers on the show said that in that particular area where the cell phone last pinged, she would have been eaten within 6 hours.
According to people on the show, the sunglasses do not have DNA on them. There were some theories thrown out there that they were just some one else's sunglasses or someone was trying to throw off the search. JG stated that he didn't recognize the sunglasses.
It sounds like quite a search operation...they have to run atvs through the area to scare the alligators before the cadaver dogs can come in...It really does sound like she's in a very desolate area or ....her phone is... They never said they found the cell phone. They stated that there were persons of interest but BD's mom stated she thinks BD is still alive and being held against her will. It was really sad watching her boyfriend and I'm sure he feels responsible in alot of ways.
They stated the times on the last text and also the last time she texted John. I am sure someone who took notes will be able to chime in on that.
Other random thoughts I had...the traffic camera...what cars went by that camera? Is there a chance that they looped around and went by that camera? There seems to be so many variables in this case. It makes you want to put a gps chip in all your kids' heads like they do your dogs now...

Thanks for posting about the show as I don't get that channel. Wow, I didn't realize that there were that many alligators in that area. That is one thing I really didn't think of or about, but I guess that is a sad possibilty. Did they mention where the last phone ping was?

Thanks for posting about the show as I don't get that channel. Wow, I didn't realize that there were that many alligators in that area. That is one thing I really didn't think of or about, but I guess that is a sad possibilty. Did they mention where the last phone ping was?

They provided the tower number from which the last cell phone activity was detected. I have it in my notebook in my car -- I can get back to you on that tomorrow. They also stated that the "cell phone zone," meaning the area that tower services, is 4x5 miles.

We have always heard that the pings were from the Charleston/Georgetown County line. One of our sleuthers made a trip around the area and determined the most likely cell tower that Britt's phone pinged off of. I do wonder if they are one in the same now that we have the cell tower number.

One thing this program left me with was uncertainty about how I feel about PB and the guys he was in MB with. The police said exactly what we have discussed so many times that it was very suspicious that PB and these guys left their hotel at 2 a.m., approximately 5 hrs after the disappearance of BD. They even flashed a picture of clothes they left which looked to be still hanging in the bathroom of their room, and also they did not get their security deposit. They stated how PB got a high profile lawyer as soon as he arrived back in Rochester. But said both PB and his lawyer completely cooperated with the police and he was ruled out as a "POI". There is still a question in my mind about something that was mentioned so briefly and never mentioned again. I have heard this discussed throughout the time since BD disappeared also. I thought I heard it mentioned that she was trying to get directions to a friend's hotel room that she was going to visit, but then in the next breath almost they still say she was on her way back to her hotel to return the shorts. Who is the friend she was going to see? and when was she planning on going there? Was she going to return the shorts and then go see another friend at another hotel? I will be looking forward to LLLindsay as I'm sure she took excellent notes on everything.

Thanks all for the re-cap, cuz I totally forgot to watch the show last night.

mlatta, I do believe it is the same one that you spoke of when you went on your flier posting mission in the area. Did you watch the show? I wondered if some of the fliers shown were the ones you posted.

Britt's bf stated some interesting things. For example, he stated that the reason Britt felt alienated from the friends is because the friends were partying and doing drugs. She texted this info to him. I have suspected this just because they were HS kids on spring break without parental supervision. I also think this is why they clammed up after Britt disappeared, and why PB lawyered up. I wonder if ID channel requested an interview from them and they declined. I didn't get the impression that Britt's best gf who was interviewed was on the MB trip. I have it tivo'd and will go back and watch it today.

It also appeared to me that Graeme Moore, the reporter, had copies of Britt's text messages. Can text messages be gotten from phone records provided by the phone company? Or would those transcripts be from Mrs, Drexel's and Britt's bf's phones?

It was a good show but very very heartbreaking.

MOO

wm

In the interest of the new thread - here is a story I found that some of us thought might be applicable in Brittanee's case:

Flyers Regarding Missing Woman Aimed at Hunters
http://wkzo.com/news/articles/2010/sep/29/flyers-regarding-missing-woman-aimed-hunters/

From Krista (Thread 12 - #611)
"On a bright note, I think it is VERY likely that if local hunters and fishermen/women were TOLD to be on the lookout for Brittanee...if they were TOLD about Brittanee's case, about where she is suspected to be....I think it's pretty likely that we'd have a LOT more eyes and a decent chance of finding her. But FIRST, we have to get the word out to hunters and fishermen! DNR officials would be a great resource....both to remind hunters AND to look for themselves!"

Snow Mill Hunting Club #1
Scott Young •

Tract Acres County/State
-Snow Mill ( Snow Mill ) 1018 Acres Georgetown Co.,SC H

Mr. Young was very helpful and has offered to distribute Brittanee's poster at his hunting club, and make sure all members are aware of it. Also, he mentioned passing some on to other hunting clubs, and possibly some outdoor shoppes.

Dearman & Smith Hunt Club
Richard Smith •

Tract Acres County/State
7610090-Sampit ( Sampit ) 328 Acres Georgetown Co.,SC

Mr. Smith said his hunting club only consisted of a few people, but we did talk for quite some time, and he informed me of a good spot to place these flyers, where many hunters, hikers, frequent. There is a bulletin board there too, which of course is a good spot. I think this spot is called the "water horn" or something like that... I will be going out there ASAP, so I will let ya know then... I attached a pic/map from Bing, with Germantown rd push-pinned, the end of that road is where this place is..

Attachments

• water_horn_Francismarion.jpg
    water_horn_Francismarion.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 16
mlatta, I do believe it is the same one that you spoke of when you went on your flier posting mission in the area. Did you watch the show? I wondered if some of the fliers shown were the ones you posted.

I'm trying like hell to find that show available for download or streaming somewhere...

The attached picture shows the location of cell tower I think it may have been.

Attachments

• BD_likely_cell_site.jpg
    BD_likely_cell_site.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 25
Thanks Matt. I'll watch again to compare the locations. If I find the show online I'll let you know.

You are on the ball with contacting the hunting clubs. Way to Go!

Thanks for keeping us abreast of where you are going and your contacts. Be careful and safe.

wm

I'm trying like hell to find that show available for download or streaming somewhere...

The attached picture shows the location of cell tower I think it may have been.

I tried to find this too, MLatta, last night but had no luck. Of course if I find it, I'll post a link.

Thanks for all the information and work on contacting the hunting clubs. That should definitely get some responses and make way more people aware of Brittanee's disappearance. Too bad the ID program is not on one of the three major networks so it could reach a wider audience.

They provided the tower number from which the last cell phone activity was detected. I have it in my notebook in my car -- I can get back to you on that tomorrow. They also stated that the "cell phone zone," meaning the area that tower services, is 4x5 miles.

We have always heard that the pings were from the Charleston/Georgetown County line. One of our sleuthers made a trip around the area and determined the most likely cell tower that Britt's phone pinged off of. I do wonder if they are one in the same now that we have the cell tower number.

Thanks very much. Please do post when you find out. Does anybody know how many cell towers are in the area and if these other towers were pinged at some time. I remember reading somewhere in the many threads about the person who took photos of the towers, but I can't find it now. That is a large area when you factor in the 4x5 miles, which could be in any direction. Are they able to triangulate any closer where the person is when a cell phone pings? The tower on the above mini map is located near 7 mile rd correct. So with a 4x5 mile area, does that mean it could take you north of the south river or would that pick up a different tower? Maybe I am I confusing myself. Sorry.

I was searching for cell tower info and found this post on another forum. Is this data wrong? I quoted the other person's words. I think they are talking about Thornhill Farms, off Hwy 17 N.

"Searchers were hoping to find Brittanee's cell phone, clothing or anything else that would be helpful in solving the case, police said. A cell phone tower near Healing Farm Ministries gave off the last signal from her phone, investigators have said. The contact info is Mt. Pleasant, but I believe the farm itself is near McClellanville where the last pings from Brittanee's cell phone were recorded."

Highlights from Disappeared...2nd half hr.

Britt was captured on traffic cam on way to BW at 8:15pm & left the BW at 8:48 pm. Police estimated it should have taken Brittanee about 15 minutes to get to the traffic cam before returning to her hotel. Brittanee never made it that far. At 8:58 she texts John, her bf saying she is headed back to hotel to pack and go to bed. then all outbound activity from her phone stopped.Because John and friends were trying to reach her, Le was able to track her phone south. At 9:27 pm her phone is moving south around surfside Bch. 15 mins by car. 11:58 her phone pings cell phone tower # 332. 50 mile s of MB...beeline to GT County.

LE obtains Brittanee's cell phone records. Her last known location is over an hour away. Dorio says a teen from NY is not going to Pole Yard Landing that time o nite while on Spring break.

Britt's best friend TF traveled to MB with DD, Britt's grandparents and Britt's bf and another friend to search for her the day after she went missing.
TF has decided to pursue criminal justice as a career to give closure and justice to other families of the missing. (this tears me up)

Britt's bro and sis asked TF upon return, "Where's Brittanee? Why isn't she with you? I thought you were going to find Brittanee". (This tears me up too. Gosh it is even harder to watch the second time)

There was no DNA evidence on the sunglasses that was found in Dec per Graeme Moore.
CD feels they may have been planted to throw searchers off from someone who was getting heat form authorities. The sunglasses were found on a desolate part of the riverbank.

Britt's mom wants to believe the glasses belong to Britt as she had gotten a new pair for Easter.

CD is skeptical. The glasses were found months after her disappearance. Dec. 09. Where is all the mud, leaves & branches that should be on them after sooo many months. the bf doesn't recognize them but says that doesn't mean she didn't buy them in MB.

Det. Dorio says it's just a matter of time now of putting together evidence to arrest the POI's.

DD believes Britt is still alive and was abducted for human trafficking. authorities are skeptical of this as they have no indication of such...no history. Graeme Moore says HT not a problem in SC.

TF says you have to watch out for Britt. She thinks nothing can hurt her and she is too trusting of people.

Hope this helps those of you who were unable to watch the program.

LLLindsayy will hopefully fill in parts I left out later. :)

wm

BTW, I checked hulu.com, YouTube, and ID channel for the episode but no luck.

TIVO is a great thing. I've never used it for this purpose before but it is great for pausing in order to transcribe.

wm

Im watching the show now and here is the texting they showed.

8:57pm your last late ruined baby seariously for me please just try to enjoy yourself you deserve it more than anyone i know
8:58pm No *** that im staying in packing and going to sleep probably
9:06pm You back from Myrtle yet?
9:15pm Babe im concerned about ya Let me k whats going on okayy I dont want you out alone if your friends are *** but i also dont want u to ruin yr last night there
9:57pm Where aare u
9:56pm Wher r u
10:00pm Im calling your mom if I don't hear from you in ten minutes

Britt cell phone records ....
??? Tower 640 715 Grate Ave
Ping Georgetown 9:53pm Tower 641 209 Firehouse street
ping Georgetown 9:54pm Tower 641 209 Firehouse street
Ping Georgetown 9:56pm wher r u
Ping Georgetown 9:57pm where aare u
Ping Georgetown 10:00pm im calling your mom if i dont hear from you in 10 min

927pm: Although she is suppose to be heading north towards her hotel at 927pm about 30min after her last text, data reveals her cell is headed southbound on RT 17. Her phone is pinging south towers in a area called surfside beach almost 7 miles south of Myrtle beach. It would take 2 hours to walk there and 15min by car. The phone itself, we are not sure if she was separated from her phone, was moving at a high enough rate of speed that it would be in a vehicle. Not sure if her battery died or was destroyed. But at 1158PM just 3 hours after her last text to John pings at tower #332 near Georgetown County.

I see all of you have posted some recaps already. I'm at school right now, but I have a 30 minute break between classes, so I'm going to type of some of the information I collected. I haven't had much time to read all of your postings yet, so I'm sorry if this has already been covered!

-At one point we were discussing whether or not the actual content of text messages can be obtained. It can! Detectives on the show had a timeline of all of the messages.

-JG began to get worried after exactly 30 minutes of no texts from B. This could help solidify a timeline which I know has always been up in the air around here.

-I was aware of 3 different groups of kids that traveled from Roc to MB. DD stated that there were approximately 30-40 individuals. Did anyone else know it was this many?

-We wondered of B was invited on the trip or if she imposed herself and they obliged. Turns out, they asked her.

-I didn't know that B was having such a hard time before she left for spring break. CD said she had been skipping school and that she had recently overdosed twice on her mom's paid medications. Both of these times were immediately following a breakup with JG. She saw a counselor at one point also.

-Britt started feeling alienated from the crew on the second day of the trip. This was because they were using drugs and she didn't do those kinds of things, per JG. B did things on her own in MB such as going to the beach and going out to eat.

-One of B's friends in MB talked to DD on the phone as if they were a parent in Roc and stated that B was doing fine.

-Timeline info: B left Blue Water at 8:48.

-Calls to B's phone from family and friends rang and rang the first few times, but eventually began going straight to voicemail. It is unclear to LE if this was because the battery died or if it was destroyed (they did not give the option that it was turned off intentionally).

-Timeline; LE estimates walking time from BW to BH to be 15 minutes.

-PB and lawyer were cooperative with investigation upon returning to Roc. He provided the explanation that a mom of one of his friends requested that they return to Roc and that's the reason for the sudden departure.

-B's last texts to JG: staying at the hotel, going to pack, and then probably go to sleep (10 mins. after leaving BW)

-B's phone pinged a tower every time someone tried to call her or text her.

-Last ping from cell tower #332. Cell phone zone for this tower is 4 miles wide and 5 miles deep,

-"If she's in this area, she would have been eaten within 6 hours." A quote from one of the searches, I didn't get a name.

I don't have as much hope for the sunglasses as I once did.

-They were not weathered or buried. LE thinks they could have been placed there as a deterrent. They may have been put there with the hopes they'd be found.

-There was no DNA on the classes per Graeme.

-DD still thinks B was trafficked.

-LE says probably not because it isn't an issue in the area?

-B's best friend TF says that B has always been too trusting of people and that you always have to look out for her.

-LE put the video out in hopes of gaining new information? My question is WHAT kind of info could you get from that video??

-The video was shot in B's hotel room, not the boys.

-They received no info from the video that allowed for an arrest.

I can elaborate on this info later, but these are just a rough copy of my notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23