UT -Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I copied the bue ribbon from Tricia's message, but where do I put it?
I went to my profile, but I can't get it??? any suggestions??

My thoughts and prayers have been with the Cox family, Susan, and the boys since Susan has been missing. I will not forget them. But, I do have to wonder just how effective this media blitz will be. While I do very much agree that Susan's case needs to stay in the media and have attention, I just do not think getting flyers out all over everywhere will be too effective. As another poster had stated, a pic of Josh in his woolen cap and the van might would be the most effective. I do realize that it cannot be done because Josh has not been charged with anything. So that one is out.

Respectfully snipped by me for space.

There is nothing that would prevent either LE or Susan's friends or family from posting such a flyer. At least nothing in a legal sense.

This whole thing is just perplexing.

I don't want to judge Kiirsi's approach to all of this, because my heart tells me she has nothing but honorable intentions. But I don't understand the logic behind alluding to things that could add insight to Josh's position, then saying she's "not going to be the one to ever say anything about them." Why say anything at all, then?

And what could she possibly be talking about? What information could she possibly have that would lead her to believe Susan was taken out of state, against her will? Did Susan have an Internet friend that she decided to meet? That seems unlikely, knowing a little about her background. Did she have some unreported interaction with someone through work? That might make a little more sense. She has to be on the phone all the time, I would think - and dealing with people's money, in this market, might lead to problems. I just don't get it.

Josh is either guilty as sin (my vote), or dumber than rocks (probably mostly right, too). If there is any information that could exonerate him, he should leak it. Because as it stands, if you were to take a poll of those who have followed this, 100% would say they think he's guilty.

I bet Kiirsi thinks Josh is guilty of causing Susan to go missing. She has apparently been told by LE not to talk about her theories but she has spoken to LE. Perhaps she feels josh has Susan concealed and imprisoned somewhere out of state, but alive. Perhaps she feels that because she wants to believe that Susan is still alive.

Or maybe she thinks Susan is deceased and that josh hid her body out of state.

I think Kiirsi is a stand up person and a good friend. Her efforts are keeping a spotlight on this case. I think she and Susan's family are working with LE and are trying not to say much negative about josh for two reasons:
One, they want to keep the lines of communication open in case he says something. Two, he has those boys. The only access to the children is through josh, which is scary. I'm sure they want maintain a relationship.

I think the media blitz is designed to put pressure on josh. They may hope that by keeping Susan's story and photos out there it will cause him to become remorseful and own up to what he did, or at the least, act in ways that could provide further evidence.

They seem to be acting cautiously. They want josh to feel pressure but not to the extent that he may take his life and/or that of the kids. Hence, they don't put out flyers with his face and/or the car.
The problem with that approach is that leads can grow cold. People who may have remembered josh or his van a month ago, may not remember it in a month or two. It is a tight rope.

But police say that Powell, who has moved in with his father in Washington state and plans to move his sons there permanently, has hired a prominent defense attorney and has declined to submit to questioning.
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/34686705/ns/today-today_people/

I read in another article, I will look for it...that the lawyer isn't even returning police's call.

They can't make him talk. He does that right to remain silent. Even if we would love to kick him to make him talk.

I am trying to be patient but I am positive and have full faith that LE are building their case. It is often a wait but I know they will have their man. josh is going to be arrested for this eventually.

He just made me feel uncomfortable. He was nice enough and seemed fine when he was our realtor and we had to work closely with him for a few months straight but that was also 4 1/2 years ago. A lot has changed with him since then it seems. He seemed fake. I didn't like how he was treating Susan and because of the things I knew about their relationship it made me like him less because I knew what kinds of things she had to put up with.

Hi OKand3Js! Would you feel comfortable telling us a bit more about the things you knew about their relationship and how josh treated Susan? Have you spoken to LE about what you knew? Thanks!

I copied the bue ribbon from Tricia's message, but where do I put it?
I went to my profile, but I can't get it??? any suggestions??

Do the same thing with the purple ribbon pic like you did with your 2010 avatar. You would have to replace your 2010 avatar with the purple ribbon pic..

I am slightly disappointed in some of the big media sources. Neither msnbc.com or cnn.com have anything on their main pages about Susan.

Last week Prime News, Issues and Nancy were all on "holiday" and most of the shows covered other stuff or repeats.

Prime News and Issues covered some, but there is nothing new to report.

ETA: I didn't tape the segments on Prime or Issues as there is nothing new at all.

I really thought Susan would be found by now, breaks my heart for her children and her family. Hopefully LE has alot on Josh and is just waiting for some testing results to come back.

Last night the find Susan Powell facebook page had about
11,000 members... it now has 24,400+!
:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

More on whether or not Susan was "not feeling well" the evening of her disappearance.

I found the following at the 2:00 mark of the "Interview with Powell Neighbor" video portion of the following link.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=9029772&nid=148

When asked by the reporter if she remembered what the last thing Susan sad to her was, JoVonna stated,

"Just that she was tired and she said, did I mind if she went and lied down I said I didn't have a problem with that, I'd keep working on the yarn."

Now note that JoVonna only says "tired" there, but she also does not specifically state that Susan was NOT sick. So I'm still kind of up in the air on whether JoVonna definitely does or does not think Susan was feeling under the weather that evening. Susan may have told JoVonna she was just tired, but may have mentioned to someone else (Josh?) that she wasn't feeling well. It's also possible she mentioned it to JoVonna but I hit a JoVonna interview that didn't touch on it, but there might be others that do.

I realize it may seem like I'm beating a dead horse here, but I do have a reason. At around the 4:24 mark of the video below, Josh is asked by the reporter about Susan laying down cause she was not feeling well and he kind of starts to wig out a little, saying, "Well she wasn't not feeling well. She was feeling well. Um, she just went to bed."

Those comments kind of struck me as funny. If someone had mentioned that my spouse went to lay down cause they were feeling ill I'd probably say they hadn't mentioned that to me, or that from what I could tell, they were feeling okay. But he seems to want to make it clear that Susan was "feeling well."

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCXDpQEfZm8[/ame]

But in this article, it states:

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14058397

"Joshua Powell has told police he took his sons Charlie, 4, and Braden, 2, camping at 12:30 a.m. that day and had left his wife, who was not feeling well, home alone."

Also, OKand3Js, our treasured new WS member who knows the family personally stated earlier in this thread:

"From what I heard from the very beginning of this whole thing was that Susan had an ongoing ear ache problem for about 2 weeks prior to her going "missing." I was told that she did indeed not feel well and went to go lie down around 5pm on Sunday afternoon and that is when Jovonna decided to leave. I am not certain on whether she was still not feeling well when Josh supposedly left with the boys at midnight."

(The above is bolded by me.)

OKand3Js is correct that JoVonna left shortly after Susan went to lie down. It says in JoVonna's interview that Josh mentioned taking the boys sledding once Susan went to nap and JoVonna left. Regarding Susan not feeling well around 5:00, as JoVonna didn't specifically state Susan was NOT sick, and OKand3Js was informed that Susan was indeed not feeling well, I think it's safe to assume that the reason Susan went to lie down was because she wasn't feeling that great. Now whether or not it was an ear ache, or nausea I don't know, and OKand3Js, if you have any more info on this you can share that would be great!

But back to the main issue here. IF the media is correct that Josh originally told the police Susan was not feeling well, and in the later TV interview he specifically makes a point that she "was feeling well," one definitely has to wonder what he's hiding about her actual health that evening.

In the words of OKand3Js, "Food for thought." :waitasec:

I personally keep thinking that Josh gave Susan some drug/s so that she would be knocked out..

there obviously was NOT a big fight...no knockdown dragout fight...and surely there would have been....

I think that the "wet spot" was vomit...often people who try to commit suicide with pills vomit them up...it could have been a reaction like that...didn't kill her, she vomited it
then somehow Josh led her out to the van/dragged her and took her out...and ?
I am still thinking "sledding"...there might be little bits of "truth" in his ridiculous stories

I think his conflicting (lies) stories are simply he can't remember what he said, he has forgotten his own cover ups...I bet he and daddy are "rehearsing" his stuff back home in Washington

the sad part is that Susan could have been taken anywhere...in a large radius

letting Josh rent that car with NO tracking is so ridiculous, how anyone can say that the LE are doing a good job I just don't know...I sure do not think they are

IMHO>>> Susan's family needs to play hardball with LE there...get a great lawyer..

I think a civil suit or some sort of emergency protection order for those boys could be in order....what about getting people to testify that Josh had "problems"? Taking the boys out in that freezing weather to camp is not a good father...???

It is a shame to see such an obvious "creep" (or worse...probably MUCH worse) have custody of those kids...is he working? supporting them?? Is he mentally stable?? What about his past "goofs">> what about the $80k phone book "ad">> isn't that grand theft?
I don't care what they charge him with..."bird abuse" for neglecting the birds...
but please charge him and get those little boys away from him

I was just reading an old article on Chris Coleman and how he hit a gurney and claimed the marks on his hands were from that and not a struggle with his wife or children. This article made me think about Josh's "wind burnt" hands....

Does anyone know if "wind burnt" hands wound cover up defensive wounds? My thought process was that maybe he intentionally hurt his hands so that any scratches, bruises, or other marks from a possible struggle with Susan would be not so noticable or not seen at all. I cannot imagine going camping in below zero weather to test a generator and not taking gloves.

I was just reading an old article on Chris Coleman and how he hit a gurney and claimed the marks on his hands were from that and not a struggle with his wife or children. This article made me think about Josh's "wind burnt" hands....

Does anyone know if "wind burnt" hands wound cover up defensive wounds? My thought process was that maybe he intentionally hurt his hands so that any scratches, bruises, or other marks from a possible struggle with Susan would be not so noticable or not seen at all. I cannot imagine going camping in below zero weather to test a generator and not taking gloves.

Ron Cummings (hit the door), OJ Simpson (glass cut at hotel) also had excuses for the marks on hands.

Hey all,

Was at the gym thinking....Have cops talked to the kids? I know they are young (I think maybe 4&2 or younger?) I'm not sure you can get a whole lot of out them... but as a kindergarten teacher I definitely get a lot of my students who just start talking to me about stuff at home when they are engrossed in play/feel comfortable etc. Ex: "Mommy and Daddy were yelling last night about bills. What's a bill?". One time I had a student ask me how to write a Valentines to Sugar Pie. When I asked who it was, he said that is his mom's name, since that's what his dad always calls her instead of Mommy :)

Anyway, have kids seen Susan's parents at all or LE? Might be worthwhile to have them talk to child psychologists etc. Children are WAY more perceptive than we give them credit for sometimes.

Last week Prime News, Issues and Nancy were all on "holiday" and most of the shows covered other stuff or repeats.

Prime News and Issues covered some, but there is nothing new to report.

ETA: I didn't tape the segments on Prime or Issues as there is nothing new at all.

I've gotta' say, though, I'm really sick of NG covering all these celebrity stories. There are missing people out there and unsolved crimes. I don't care about Tiger Woods or Charlie Sheen. All those celebs have top-notch lawyers and agents to help them. Us common folk need the media to give our cases the attention they need.

I've gotta' say, though, I'm really sick of NG covering all these celebrity stories. There are missing people out there and unsolved crimes. I don't care about Tiger Woods or Charlie Sheen. All those celebs have top-notch lawyers and agents to help them. Us common folk need the media to give our cases the attention they need.

Maybe we should all contact Nancy Grace and nicely remind her what her show is supposed to be about.

I personally keep thinking that Josh gave Susan some drug/s so that she would be knocked out..

there obviously was NOT a big fight...no knockdown dragout fight...and surely there would have been....

I think that the "wet spot" was vomit...often people who try to commit suicide with pills vomit them up...it could have been a reaction like that...didn't kill her, she vomited it
then somehow Josh led her out to the van/dragged her and took her out...and ?
I am still thinking "sledding"...there might be little bits of "truth" in his ridiculous stories

I think his conflicting (lies) stories are simply he can't remember what he said, he has forgotten his own cover ups...I bet he and daddy are "rehearsing" his stuff back home in Washington

the sad part is that Susan could have been taken anywhere...in a large radius

letting Josh rent that car with NO tracking is so ridiculous, how anyone can say that the LE are doing a good job I just don't know...I sure do not think they are

IMHO>>> Susan's family needs to play hardball with LE there...get a great lawyer..

I think a civil suit or some sort of emergency protection order for those boys could be in order....what about getting people to testify that Josh had "problems"? Taking the boys out in that freezing weather to camp is not a good father...???

It is a shame to see such an obvious "creep" (or worse...probably MUCH worse) have custody of those kids...is he working? supporting them?? Is he mentally stable?? What about his past "goofs">> what about the $80k phone book "ad">> isn't that grand theft?
I don't care what they charge him with..."bird abuse" for neglecting the birds...
but please charge him and get those little boys away from him

I agree that josh likely drugged her to incapacitate poor Susan in some way.

But, I think LE was definitely tracking josh. It just hurts their investigation to say so. They are likely still tracking him but don't want him to suspect as much.

Totally agree that the kids should not be in josh's custody. He's wacky. My fear is that if the heat gets to be too much, the case could go down as a murder suicide. Those boys are at risk.
Yes, I've heard he loves the boys, but if he thinks the net is getting tighter and there is no way out, he seems to me to be the type to view his kids as extensions of himself so, if he goes, they go. Scares me silly.
I think his admitted negligence and apparent mental instability in taking two babies out in the middle of the night in sub-freezing temps to go camping, being so out of it he doesn't remember what day it is and loses his job as a result, his lack of a job and the fact that he has abandoned the search for his wife and is refusing to cooperate with investigators, shows he is, at the least, negligent and not a stable parent, and at most, an extreme danger to the boys. Add to that reports of his bizarre behavior, eccentricity and controlling, abusive behavior before Susan went missing and I think there is a good case for taking those kids away. I wish DCFS would get involved. Or Susan's family.

Hey all,

Was at the gym thinking....Have cops talked to the kids? I know they are young (I think maybe 4&2 or younger?) I'm not sure you can get a whole lot of out them... but as a kindergarten teacher I definitely get a lot of my students who just start talking to me about stuff at home when they are engrossed in play/feel comfortable etc. Ex: "Mommy and Daddy were yelling last night about bills. What's a bill?". One time I had a student ask me how to write a Valentines to Sugar Pie. When I asked who it was, he said that is his mom's name, since that's what his dad always calls her instead of Mommy :)

Anyway, have kids seen Susan's parents at all or LE? Might be worthwhile to have them talk to child psychologists etc. Children are WAY more perceptive than we give them credit for sometimes.

LE reportedly spoke to the oldest boy when josh was being interviewed. Unconfirmed rumor is that the child said mommy had to stay in the woods.

Snipped by me.

"...I think LE was definitely tracking josh. It just hurts their investigation to say so. They are likely still tracking him but don't want him to suspect as much."

Agreed. I also think LE is just playing dumb on this part. They casually made it known that they were not aware that he had taken a rental car and that it did not have GPS tracking on it, even though they knew this would show them in a bad light.

I think they were fully aware of his little detour and had some way of tailing him, whether physically following him, tag teaming in different, everyday vehicles so he didn't get suspicious or maybe setting it up with the rental place for a tracking device to be slipped somewhere in the vehicle just before the keys were handed over.

I was disappointed tonight also. I thought for sure with all the media attention to this case, that for sure NG would cover it tonight. I turned it right off......very disappointed.

I bet Kiirsi thinks Josh is guilty of causing Susan to go missing. She has apparently been told by LE not to talk about her theories but she has spoken to LE. Perhaps she feels josh has Susan concealed and imprisoned somewhere out of state, but alive. Perhaps she feels that because she wants to believe that Susan is still alive.

Or maybe she thinks Susan is deceased and that josh hid her body out of state.

I think Kiirsi is a stand up person and a good friend. Her efforts are keeping a spotlight on this case. I think she and Susan's family are working with LE and are trying not to say much negative about josh for two reasons:
One, they want to keep the lines of communication open in case he says something. Two, he has those boys. The only access to the children is through josh, which is scary. I'm sure they want maintain a relationship.

I think the media blitz is designed to put pressure on josh. They may hope that by keeping Susan's story and photos out there it will cause him to become remorseful and own up to what he did, or at the least, act in ways that could provide further evidence.

They seem to be acting cautiously. They want josh to feel pressure but not to the extent that he may take his life and/or that of the kids. Hence, they don't put out flyers with his face and/or the car.
The problem with that approach is that leads can grow cold. People who may have remembered josh or his van a month ago, may not remember it in a month or two. It is a tight rope.

I am trying to be patient but I am positive and have full faith that LE are building their case. It is often a wait but I know they will have their man. josh is going to be arrested for this eventually.

Hi OKand3Js! Would you feel comfortable telling us a bit more about the things you knew about their relationship and how josh treated Susan? Have you spoken to LE about what you knew? Thanks!

Thank you for your whole post. I bolded the comments I think are especially important. I agree with your thoughts.

I have not spoken to LE about what I know regarding their relationship because what I know is known by a few other people who knew them better and they have already spoken to LE all about that. So there is no need for me to speak to them. If it would help them I certainly would, but I don't know more than what others have already told them.

There are articles out there discussing how Josh was controlling, controlled the money that SHE made, controlled what groceries were bought or not bought, what she was allowed to eat, what she was allowed to do. She would go out and work and be away from her kids even though she didn't want to, and the money she made was put into the joint account for a long time and he would be the one who decided what they did with the money. She didn't really have a say. Just lots of things like that. The only reason I mention them now is because they have already been mentioned by other people and have been published in articles. He didn't really help her with anything around the house, expected her to do it all.

More on whether or not Susan was "not feeling well" the evening of her disappearance.

I realize it may seem like I'm beating a dead horse here, but I do have a reason. At around the 4:24 mark of the video below, Josh is asked by the reporter about Susan laying down cause she was not feeling well and he kind of starts to wig out a little, saying, "Well she wasn't not feeling well. She was feeling well. Um, she just went to bed."

Those comments kind of struck me as funny. If someone had mentioned that my spouse went to lay down cause they were feeling ill I'd probably say they hadn't mentioned that to me, or that from what I could tell, they were feeling okay. But he seems to want to make it clear that Susan was "feeling well."

But back to the main issue here. IF the media is correct that Josh originally told the police Susan was not feeling well, and in the later TV interview he specifically makes a point that she "was feeling well," one definitely has to wonder what he's hiding about her actual health that evening.

Respectfully snipped for space.

I agree with you. He changed his story based on those two different articles/interviews. It really makes you wonder why he was so adamant to lead us to believe she was fine when he clearly said she was NOT fine in the earlier statement.

And all I know about it is that she had an ongoing ear ache problem for a few weeks previous. Not sure if that was what was bothering her. It could be from being tired and it could be from something Josh gave her. I wish I knew more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken