Woman Gives Birth To Octuplets In California

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out this article...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090131/ap_on_re_us/octuplets

All I can say is wow! :eek: And the neighbors are saying that the parents helped her get the house for her & the 6 kids to live in, and then the parents got so far behind in their own finances (helping their daughter out I'd presume), that they have to move in with her.

Per the article above, the girls mom is saying that she won't be home when her daughter gets there (so she's not going to help raise these children). And one of the first 6 children are autistic, needing more individual attention at the very least. What a sad, strange situation. :(

I love kids too, but whoa!

According to an article I read this morning, her mother told her she would not be there when she comes home from the hospital. This is really sounding to me like a mental disorder, and a serious one. I do hope that child welfare gets involved. There is no way a single mom can care for 8 babies & 6 children all under the age of 7 without help.

The article said that ALL of her babies were concieved via IVF. She has blocked felopian tubes & can't get pregnant on her own. She also told a friend that she was paid to undergo IVF - I wonder what that is all about. Someone is going to be in toruble, if she did this stateside.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090131/ap_on_re_us/octuplets

Also, in the above article linked above -- a nanny for the children said this, "She told me that all of her kids were through in vitro, and I said 'Gosh, how can you afford that and go to school at the same time?"' she added. "And she said it's because she got paid for it.".

While we don't know if what she said is true or not, it does make me question how she could be getting paid. Is she selling her eggs back to the clinic in exchange for IVF? :eek:

~Cakegirl

It will be interesting to see how this all unfolds when she takes them home from the hospital. Will there be public fanfare or public shunning? Obviously, if the mother is a professional student she will have to receive some sort of public assistance for these children as she cannot work and raise 14 children of which 10 are age 2 and under. Will the community help her care for them? Will she receive freebies -- diapers, baby food, a van, clothes, etc. even of she is a single mom who underwent fertility treatments and reportedly had the embryos transplanted?

I live in Canada right now (grew up in the states) and it is amazing to the see the "industry" that has grown up around having/supporting children. There are low income mothers who continue to have children because each child they have means more $ from the government each month. There are professional foster parents who take care of foster kids as their primary job. Many of these kids are well-cared for, others are given minimal care. It's so sad.

I don't understand this woman's motivations, but I wish the best for her children. I grew up in a 2-parent family with 8 children (of various ages) and it wasn't easy for my parents or for me and my brothers and sisters.

In most of the US, since the passage of welfare reform in the 80's & 90's, it is much harder to get public assistance. There is a time limit that you can receive help, and they don't pay much more for additional children.
The more I read about this, I am thinking the Dr that implanted 8 emryos should be sued for child support.

As more articles are being posted, it is leading me to believe that this Mother may have some serious mental health issues.

I think her mother is being very honest with her feelings about this situation. It sounds like she's felt this way for a long time, but how can you stop your adult child from doing something like this.

I'm not too familiar with IVF, but how many eggs can be harvested at once? According to her mother, these were the last eight frozen embryos. Who knows, the doctor may have gotten tired of her and just put all the embryos in at once to stop the whole thing. The whole situation is sad for the children, and she has one son with autism.

I just hope and pray that Nadya gets the help she needs to bring those babies up. Certainly having her mother there wouldn't be enough, but it would be a start. I can understand her mother being fed up, but wow, to leave her now isn't cool! Those babies all need to be loved and held, and she doesn't even have a husband.
It certainly is a miracle that the babies are alive and doing so well though. The babies are a blessing. What is really needed is about 3 live-in nannies for a few years.

Is it true she got the IVF in Mexico?

My thoughts on this went from "Wow, what a miracle!" to "Wow, this is awful."

I mean, thank God the babies are okay, but it sounds as though she's like an animal hoarder. No support from her mom or a partner? Is she banking on Discovery or TLC raising these kids? Because so far, she's not getting a hero's welcome.

I don't blame the grandmother, but I do pray someone steps in. If only for the children. She has an autistic son. That's a fulltime job without having to care for 13 other kids!

LA Times has published the Mothers name:

(I figured it would be out on the internet less than 24 hours before it was out as common knowledge)

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-octuplets31-2009jan31,0,6246659.story

From article above:

"Nadya Suleman, a 33-year-old mother of twins, octuplets and 4 other young children, loves being around kids and was not seeking fame or financial gain, her friends and family say."

Also from link above in post #109 latimes.

"Friends and family also reported that Nadya Suleman worked as a psychiatric technician until she was injured on the job. Then she began having children and enrolled in school.

She graduated from Cal State Fullerton in 2006 with a bachelor of science degree in child and adolescent development, school officials said. She returned to pursue a master's in counseling, but last attended in the spring of 2008."

Her mother states:

"Nadya Suleman has always loved children, her mother said. Then she sighed. "I wish she would have become a kindergarten teacher."

Hehe sorry that last line tickled my funny bone:D

A friend of mine from CA, who knows more about this than I do, says she was told that the mom was funding the IVF with her school loans.

I can understand not wanting to destroy embryos, but couldn't she have pursued embryo adoption?

More power to her if she can do it, but I know how overwhelmed I am with two babies under two, much less 14 under eight.

I will not believe the story about IVF until I see it confirmed by records or a doctor or some source besides the mother's own mouth. Just b/c she says it was IVF doesn't make it true.

I cannot even imagine a doctor implanting 8 embryos, even a sleazy one. What would s/he have to gain? Nothing! They charge the same fortune whether they implant one or 8, and can only get in trouble when this happens. How on earth did they think they would get away with it?

I'm not buying.

I will not believe the story about IVF until I see it confirmed by records or a doctor or some source besides the mother's own mouth. Just b/c she says it was IVF doesn't make it true.

I cannot even imagine a doctor implanting 8 embryos, even a sleazy one. What would s/he have to gain? Nothing! They charge the same fortune whether they implant one or 8, and can only get in trouble when this happens. How on earth did they think they would get away with it?

I'm not buying.

If it was IVF, the ethical uproar may keep mouths clamped shut about it. As for what a dr will or won't do: I remember seeing a BBC documentary one time about odd surgeries and the biggest point was: if you want something done, there are drs out there that will do it... it just takes money and tracking a dr down that doesn't operate by ethic codes. One man got breast implants on a 10,000 sterling pound bet... and found an off-the-cuff kind of plastic surgeon that was willing to do it... and yes, he won that bet and had the *advertiser censored* to show it. :( So, I can easily see a dr on the sly helping a mother have children in unethical manners.

I feel sorry for all of the children involved... from what is coming out in the news, it would be best if child services got involved to make sure the children are being properly cared for.

That is extremely selfish of the woman! She already has 6 children, aged 2-7 years old. One of which is autistic. She should be concentrating on making the lives of her present children the best she can instead of focusing on herself and having had 8 more implanted in her. The woman isn't married, is 33 years old, her poor mother shouldn't have to deal with it either.
If she was getting paid, it sounds like the doctor was more so trying to break a record than truly caring about the quality of life the woman's children will have. Good Lord, she already has 6!

"It was only the second time in U.S. history that eight babies survived more than a few hours after birth. The six boys and two girls were said to be in remarkably good condition but were expected to remain in the hospital for several more weeks.The mother of the octuplets lives with her parents in a modest, single-story home on a quiet cul-de-sac in Whittier, a Los Angeles suburb of about 85,000. Children's bicycles, a pink car and a wagon were scattered in the yard and driveway.
Court records show Angela Suleman filed for bankruptcy last March, but after she failed to make required payments and appear at a creditors' meeting, the case was dismissed. She reported liabilities of $981,371, mostly money owed on two houses she owns in Whittier."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ilIx-PXnXPpwF1a_nlRYF00fzBIQD961UN600

It should have never been allowed. The woman is obviously not mentally stable; she's not even married. How does she expect to afford having 14 children? Now her mother has filed for bankruptcy last March, probably due to having to help support all her daughter's children.
It is an act of selfishness and greed. A single mother with 6 kids, who just had 8 more. Surely she is mentally ill.

She is a single woman who lives with her bankrupt parents!! I'd feel the same as her mother does and walk out too. The daughter certainly is not thinking ahead.

"Suleman said raising 14 children will be "difficult" - perhaps an understatement considering the family's reported financial troubles.They filed bankruptcy and abandoned a home less than two years ago. The babies' grandfather is hoping to raise some cash by heading to his native Iraq as a contractor."
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_...and_octuplets_make_17_single_mom_who_gav.html

Angela Suleman told The Associated Press she was not supportive when her daughter, Nadya Suleman, decided to have more embryos implanted last year.

While her daughter recovers, Angela Suleman is taking care of the other six children, ages 2 through 7, at the family home in Whittier, about 15 miles east of downtown Los Angeles.

She said she warned her daughter that when she gets home from the hospital, "I'm going to be gone."

http://cbs3.com/health/California.octuplets.mom.2.923278.html

Sounds like her mother is going to bail, and let her deal with all 14 kids by herself

Angela Suleman told The Associated Press she was not supportive when her daughter, Nadya Suleman, decided to have more embryos implanted last year.

While her daughter recovers, Angela Suleman is taking care of the other six children, ages 2 through 7, at the family home in Whittier, about 15 miles east of downtown Los Angeles.

She said she warned her daughter that when she gets home from the hospital, "I'm going to be gone."

Sounds like her mother is going to bail, and let her deal with all 14 kids by herself
Sounds like grandma should have bailed, I don't know several kids ago. Don't get me wrong, I have two beautiful grandchildren that I love and babysit for quite a bit while mom and dad work. But mom and dad are the sole providers.
It seem to me that this girl may have had grandma babysitting all the time while this girl did her other hobby of getting pregnant and rumor has it using school loans to do it. Sounds like a lot of entitlement going on here. Hi mom I decided to have more kids and you can stay home and take care of them while I go to school. It's easy to have kids when you don't have to financially provide for them and take care of them. Just IMO there is some scamming going on here and motives. I don't mean to offend anyone. Just saying..

:confused: :waitasec:

Well I have to chime in. This isn't a family wanting children and using fertility drugs & invitro responsibly and for the right reasons, this is an ILLNESS.

I for one hope the children are removed from the woman. She is very mentally ill IMO and this is wrong no matter which way it is spun. It makes me sick. Those poor babies.:furious:

I'm sorry I don't mean to carry on. I just see people struggling in this economy to support their homes and when I see something like this,I find it distirbing

I just hope this woman's mistake doesn't ruin her life and the lives of her children. As highly irresponsible as what she had done was, I don't think anybody expected she'd have octoplets. Her children may be the first set that have ever survived EVER. And unless she implanted the eggs herself, there are others that are responsible too.
I pray that things turn out okay for her and her family. I do think she needs some psychological help, and I hope she gets it. What a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Countrygirlwv