No Honor Among Thieves

BBB167893

Former Member
Reaction score
I've considered bringing this subject up for some time now. And my recent dust-up with HOTYH about RN misspellings has convinced me that now is the appropriate time.

It's often been asked, including by me, if the Rs did commit this crime together, why would they have chosen to handwrite a ransom note? More specifically, why would JR, presumably the smart one of the two, agree to such a thing? After all, he was a good businessman, so he couldn't have been stupid, right?

(WARNING: The following contains the opinions and speculations of SuperDave, and does not necessarily reflect the feelings of anyone else.)

Well, as I say in the book, maybe he WAS being a smart businessman, leaving himself a possible out. Here's what I mean:

What if there was a Plan B? What if, as a last resort, PR would be thrown to the wolves? Everything pointed back at her, or almost everything. She had ONE thing on him, and that meant he'd have to play along. But he'd play by his rules, looking to go along with it while making sure that, if push came to shove, nothing could lead back to him. It wouldn't do to have his computer searched and a file of the RN found. But having her handwrite it would put him in the clear. He even tells her to spell differently after the killing.
Hiring separate lawyers was just extra insurance.

It's brilliant. He sets her up and looks like her champion. He gets to be her hero, standing valiantly behind her, defending his lady's honor like a damn white knight.. Meanwhile, he's got her like a lamb to slaughter. If it goes badly for her, hey, he's done all he can! If she tries to hang it on him, it looks like the desperate ravings of a lunatic trying to save her own neck.

There truly is NO honor among thieves.

A good businessman will always have an out. A Plan B, as it were. After all, he didn't owe her anything. She killed his daughter. But he couldn't let her burn right then and there, because he had his hand in the cookie jar. It's always best to shoot someone in the back AFTER you give them a chance to dig their own grave.

(Here endeth the speculation.)

Questions? Comments? Reactions? Threats? Lemon cookies?

Excellent post, Dave.

The reason posited in the 'Ramsey' CSI episode was that printers are more easily identifiable forensically than handwriting so it would be easily proven that the Ramsey computer was used to write the letter and even an IDI would struggle to believe that someone logged in (finding passwords etc) and sat at John's computer table typing a RN. Someone grabbing a nearby pad of notepaper is marginally more plausible.

Your scenario sounds reasonable though. Would fit in with John handing police samples of Patsy's handwriting on an notepad that was identical to that on which the RN was written and, if we were to be really cynical, it would account for the legal team's lack of appetite for taking on the 'libel' directed at John...

Excellent post, Dave.

The reason posited in the 'Ramsey' CSI episode was that printers are more easily identifiable forensically than handwriting so it would be easily proven that the Ramsey computer was used to write the letter and even an IDI would struggle to believe that someone logged in (finding passwords etc) and sat at John's computer table typing a RN. Someone grabbing a nearby pad of notepaper is marginally more plausible.

:clap: Yes, that's what I meant to say.

Your scenario sounds reasonable though. Would fit in with John handing police samples of Patsy's handwriting on an notepad that was identical to that on which the RN was written and, if we were to be really cynical, it would account for the legal team's lack of appetite for taking on the 'libel' directed at John...

Like I said, I've been thinking about this for a while now.

I agree with this JR was a good business man and he did take himself far away from this from taking a shower to handing the LE the pads which include the one the RN was from...

She had ONE thing on him, and that meant he'd have to play along.

I agree and it was THE thing that started all the trouble and needed to be covered up.Ya know what I mean.

moo

I've often gotten the impression that no one was more surprised than JR when PR was not brought up on charges at some point. Yes, yes, I know they hired attorneys. But again, that's just insurance. I'm thinking he really didn't rely on them being as effective as they were OR the case bungled as badly as it was (which is how I interpret it), however you wish to see it. To be a fly on the wall in that house during the subsequent years.

I do think you have a very bright future writing FICTION.

Normally I'd ignore cheap shots like that. But even I have my limit.

The whole point of starting this thread was to answer a question put to me by certain IDI members. It's a suggestion. Take it or leave it.

If you have a basis for rejecting it, feel free to say so. But give a good argument as to why. I put a LOT of thought and effort into these things, so I don't think it's too much to ask for some courtesy.

I've often gotten the impression that no one was more surprised than JR when PR was not brought up on charges at some point. Yes, yes, I know they hired attorneys. But again, that's just insurance. I'm thinking he really didn't rely on them being as effective as they were OR the case bungled as badly as it was (which is how I interpret it), however you wish to see it. To be a fly on the wall in that house during the subsequent years.

I totally agree with you!

Speaking of THE thing....maybe PR wanted to hit someone else for IT and she missed>>>JB got hit?Just speculating but you never know.

(SD's hair goes green, his skin turns chalk-white and a sickening red grin slashes across his face):

I just had another incident which convinced me that it was time to get this one rolling again.

I say "again." The problem is, the people it was directed to in the first place seem to have missed it. That's a shame, because it was on their behalf that I went to all that trouble.

*sigh* Old warhorses like me give our all, and what do we get for it? That's the big problem these days: no respect.

Well, like the man said, if at first you don't succeed, pester 'em!

Ta-ta for now, kids. (Cackles maniacally)

But SD on your ground the IDI don't want to face you....This says alot cause alot of questions are asked but IDI never answers...

But SD on your ground the IDI don't want to face you....This says alot cause alot of questions are asked but IDI never answers...

The way you say it is so much more dignified.

I think there was a power play within the crime but I don't believe he knew about the ransom note. I think she wrote it sometime during the staging or while he was showering. I think the ransom note was a threat from PR to JR to keep his mouth shut.

Just catching up on all the threads. Re Dave writing fiction, I don't know any author who has gone to so much trouble to include just verified facts in a true crime book.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back