Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno, Spanier fired; coverup charged #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this entry, and have no idea who theauthor is, or what book they are writing..."More realistic is that with the possibility of all the media attention, etc., that Sandusky's trial ends in a mistrial. Commonwealth v. Haefner, a trial also involving a Penn Stater and alleged pedophile, is the hornbook law in PA regarding double jeopardy and a mistrial. Defining a mistrial as a legitimate end to a prosecution would also allow Sandusky to sue everyone, and would prevent future prosecutions of his past alleged molestation incidents. Commonwealth v. Haefner effectively ended a second case that was pending against Richard Haefner in 1976, leading to the Lancaster County DA's office "nolle prossing" the charges, or refusing to prosecute. There was a similar media circus around Commonwealth v. Haefner, but little has survived because the case was sealed and expunged in 1979. I have many of the original documents including the transcript and have studied the case intensively for my book."
Posted on Jerry Sandusky has hired a private investigator to study sex-abuse claims, his attorney says on November 29, 2011, 9:35AM
http://connect.mlive.com/user/social_user_413/index.html

“Have you seen the papers?” Richard Haefner asked breathlessly, emerging from the blustery darkness short of breath. (Although the Centre Daily Times was an evening paper then, the story didn’t make the late edition, and first appeared on Nov. 29th.) When Wright said no, Haefner told him that Betsy Aardsma, a young girl he knew, had been killed in Pattee Library."
http://www.statecollegemagazine.com...ews]=50&tx_ttnews[backPid]=2&cHash=fe3b6029e7

I'm not surprised to learn that Sandusky's autobiography played a major part in helping police find several of his victims. The book is very bizarre. I'm not sure what psychological need compelled him to publish such a potentially incriminating book. I'm beginning to believe there's a possibility that Sandusky's not consciously aware of his crimes.

Sandusky was very conscious of his crimes. He had pictures of his victims in the book, part of his control and power tactics over them.

More realistic is that with the possibility of all the media attention, etc., that Sandusky's trial ends in a mistrial. Commonwealth v. Haefner, a trial also involving a Penn Stater and alleged pedophile, is the hornbook law in PA regarding double jeopardy and a mistrial. Defining a mistrial as a legitimate end to a prosecution would also allow Sandusky to sue everyone, and would prevent future prosecutions of his past alleged molestation incidents. Commonwealth v. Haefner effectively ended a second case that was pending against Richard Haefner in 1976, leading to the Lancaster County DA's office "nolle prossing" the charges, or refusing to prosecute. There was a similar media circus around Commonwealth v. Haefner, but little has survived because the case was sealed and expunged in 1979. I have many of the original documents including the transcript and have studied the case intensively for my book.

Posted on Jerry Sandusky has hired a private investigator to study sex-abuse claims, his attorney says on November 29, 2011, 9:35AM
http://connect.mlive.com/user/social_user_413/index.html

Well, this case is already going to trial-- and with a lot of victims and a grand jury report that has inflamed the public AT LARGE (not just their cozy corner of the world). I don't think sealing everything up is an option at this point, right? Sandusky is finally the one who's in the the screwing. IMO

A lot of interesting comments over there, though. Read around quite a bit!

Or, big big Check Writing egos. Penn State loves its alumni...

So right............and THEY also have big unchecked egos which is why Sandusky was able to continue his behavior. IMO

Well, this case is already going to trial-- and with a lot of victims and a grand jury report that has inflamed the public AT LARGE (not just their cozy corner of the world). I don't think sealing everything up is an option at this point, right? Sandusky is finally the one who's in the the screwing. IMO

A lot of interesting comments over there, though. Read around quite a bit!

Great heads up on those links!

Why is this distancing necessary? :waitasec: Civil suits, I'd guess...

Penn State president never read the news reports about Sandusky investigation

Penn State President Rodney Erickson denied knowing anything about an investigation into Jerry Sandusky before the grand jury presentment was released in November and charges were filed against Sandusky and two top university officials.

and

“It seemed you were caught off guard by something when there was months and months of warning,” a reporter asked him.

“There were, I would think nearly all individuals at the university, including me, were not aware of any this until we read it in the grand jury presentment, so how would we have known?”

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/01/penn_state_president_never_rea.html

For an institution of higher learning, there's a lot of stupidity coming from their leadership. Why can't they see that they're beat, and STHU? Simply amazing to me.

Penn State President Rodney Erickson denied knowing anything about an investigation into Jerry Sandusky before the grand jury presentment was released in November and charges were filed against Sandusky and two top university officials.

and

“It seemed you were caught off guard by something when there was months and months of warning,” a reporter asked him.

“There were, I would think nearly all individuals at the university, including me, were not aware of any this until we read it in the grand jury presentment, so how would we have known?”

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/01/penn_state_president_never_rea.html

For an institution of higher learning, there's a lot of stupidity coming from their leadership. Why can't they see that they're beat, and STHU? Simply amazing to me.

:maddening: Plausible deniability.

and

Yes, we can feel the stupid emanating from that. Total head-in-the-sand behavior and magical thinking. If they don't read it, then it doesn't exist. Denial and more Denial. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Succinct commentary highlights Deadspin's synopsis of the "cops found victims via Sandusky bio" story; first and last paragraphs:

In Greek mythology, many apparent protagonists are later forced to face the wrath of the gods for showing excessive pride, arrogance or just losing touch with reality in general. Welcome back to State College, where hubris isn't so much a trait as it is a way of life.
---
Around the same time investigators were contacting Victim 6's mother, they also decided to check in on some rumors circulating about assistant coach Mike McQueary having witnessed something in the Penn State showers. The rest, as they say, is The Jerry Sandusky Story.
Jerry Sandusky’s Autobiography Helped Police Track Down Additional Victims

JerSan prob'ly thought he was not writing a tell-all book,
but looks like it's gonna help nail him.

http://deadspin.com/5874052/

LE used book to help find other victims.
Copyright date is 2000, so it is not helpful in locating later victims, unfortunately.

to wfgodot: THANKS for linking this.

Amazon prices for this book, new and used are still -----> up there.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Touched-Jerry-Sandusky-Story/dp/1582613575"]Amazon.com: Touched: The Jerry Sandusky Story (9781582613574): Jerry Sandusky: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41SRnoJKLLL.@@AMEPARAM@@41SRnoJKLLL[/ame]

Thanks again, wfgodot, for your links to deadspin & other sites.

After the total crap that has been the PSU response, I'd like to see the institution devolve back to operating under its original name (in 1855, and through 1862): Farmers High School. At this point, that name has much more class.

Thanks again. wfgodot, for your informative links, in your post just above.

PennSt Pres Rodney 'Transparency' Erickson.

Didn't he or one of his sub-ord's email - We're Taking Charge of the Dialogue.

Jay Sandusky did an interview in the past day or so and it was on TV (GMA I think) where he said Joe Paterno can't wait to tell his side of the story.

Jay also went on to say that at 85 his dad is fighting cancer and that is taking all his energy and leaves little time for him to contemplate anything else going on right now.

IMO if Joe Paterno is seriously ill I think this is the beginning of repairing his image because they know he will NOT be available to testify in the Sandusky trial.

Good morning everyone :seeya:

Please remember that if you post a link and it comes up with asteriks (*****.com) it means the link is not allowed at WS. That means that information at that site cannot be verified and maybe unreliable.

If you have any questions, please pm me or any other mod and we will give you hand.

Thanks,

Salem

Jay Sandusky did an interview in the past day or so and it was on TV (GMA I think) where he said Joe Paterno can't wait to tell his side of the story.

Jay also went on to say that at 85 his dad is fighting cancer and that is taking all his energy and leaves little time for him to contemplate anything else going on right now.

IMO if Joe Paterno is seriously ill I think this is the beginning of repairing his image because they know he will NOT be available to testify in the Sandusky trial.

I think you mean Jay Paterno and not Jay Sandusky.

Darn I meant to type Jay Paterno - some reason eidt button is gone. :waitasec:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member