Found Deceased CA - Katie Wilkins, 25, dies of heroin OD, Los Angeles County, 28 April 2012

ib nora : hmmmm

leomoon: sorry for your loss

Thank you NoZme

This is interesting stuff here:

(http://www.malibutimesmag.com/2011/09/rock-n-roll-with-the-president/)

The witty retired lawyer is a member of the American Bar Association who came to Pepperdine in February 1984 to solve a land-use problem at the university. He is an icon on campus and can be spotted lunching with undergraduates in the cafeteria or getting a Jamba Juice from the Sandbar with a colleague.

“It’s very important for a university president to be more than a name in an academic catalogue or the guy that signs their diploma,” Benton said. “While I am president, that’s not who I am. In reality, I’m much more complex than that. I’m a Christian, I’m a musician, I’m a lawyer who loves the Constitution.”

He loves The Constitution? Well then Mr Benton, I say you should man-up & get your cowardly son to answer the obvious questions about Katie's last evening on this earth.

Shouldn't everyone have to answer for his or her own actions (or inactions) instead of hiding behind mom & dad for protection? I bet Pepperdine University graduates (several years younger than Chris Benson) are expected to be responsible, autonomous individuals.

SonnyBoy, the Wilkin's family has been waiting long enough. Isn't facing reality & admitting your faults a major part of rehab?

My understanding is that criminal charges are very unlikely. California does not have a Good Samaritan Law and even if it could be proven that he injected Katie, her death would be attributed to accidental overdose. I suppose they may get him for grand theft auto or he may be hit with a civil action..... I cannot imagine the Wilkin's heratbreak & frustration.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/05/15/l-a-sheriff-and-relatives-baffled-by-mystery-death-of-graphics-designer.html#comments

Gets to the heart of the matter and doesn't dance around the issues with Chris Benton and his father Andy Benton's actions since Katie's death. I expect that in doing so it will light a torch under some asses in bringing these two to task.

What an awesome article. Steve, I know you don't know me personally, but I am proud of you for fighting for the truth and not giving up. I have 3 boys, ages 7, 6 and 6 and I pray that my husband and I can raise them as well as your parents have apparently raised you.

You and your family are still in my prayers.

Excellent article! This is good leverage against Pepperdine president Andrew Benton. The more this is in the news, the more the school's Public Relation team will squirm. Usually if a letter to the editor is submitted to any (and all) news sources, I think they have to print it.
I want the family to know we do not judge Katie. She was a beautiful intelligent woman and will be remembered thusly. I guess I can only speak for myself, but I hold no judgement towards Katie.

As for Chris Benton, Andrew Benton, and Pepperdine's leadership, yeah, serious judgement there...

You are truly a good brother and know that I for one am so proud of you but most importantly your family and Katie are proud of you. You keep fighting for Katie and be her voice.

I can not fathom leaving someone to die, stealing their car, and then running to Daddy's lawyer. Those people represent themselves as christians and that makes me sick. I am spiritual but I do not believe in organized religion and these people represent some of the reasons I feel the way I do.

Katie will always be with you. Please get counseling. You will need it. My mom died right in front of me and I had a hard time remembering anything but seeing her like that. I want you to be able to remember your beautiful sister happy an alive.

Wonderful photos of Katie and her older brother who loved her to pieces, (easily seen) and quite beautiful to see in such young children, who grow up to still be so close as these two obviously were.
http://www.malibusurfsidenews.com/current_issue.pdf

Page 11 Photos and page 17 speaks of the non-communicado of the Benton family to the Wilkins family :(

Well all I know, and am reminded of, is that there is the Sin of Commission, and then the Sin of Omission, and oftentimes, the sins of omission (in this case, omitting doing the right and moral thing) ....is the more grevious one.
Brings about the karma that no one wants.

That in itself, is not what we wish to have however, but justice on this earth, but for some of us, it must be that we will not see real justice but must remain in faith in the higher purpose that justice, (true justice) will eventually be served!

Until that day, I hope the Wilkins family can find a measure of peace someday.

My prayers go with them.

p.s. I'd LOVE to ask that Sheriff who spoke in the article, why in the case of John Belushi did the one who gave him the fatal needle end up serving time? Hard time in prison?

What is so different about this one? Other then laziness on the part of those who can press for the prosecution and follow through.

Is it money or is it laziness?

What is it?

From Wikipedia: (snipped)
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathy_Smith"]Cathy Smith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Smith first met comedian John Belushi on the set of Saturday Night Live in 1976 when The Band were the musical guests.[19]

She later met Belushi again through Wood and Richards and was contacted by Belushi to purchase the drugs that eventually killed him. Smith alleges that she injected Belushi with 83 speedballs (a combination of cocaine and heroin) at the Chateau Marmont in West Hollywood, California in 1982, and that this injection led to his death. According to Woodward, Robin Williams was on the scene at the time, and was "creeped out" by Smith, whom he thought to be a "lowlife".[14] Belushi had been battling cocaine addiction for years. He was not a heroin addict, though he had used the drug infrequently before his death.

Released after initial questioning on the morning of Belushi's death, Smith spoke briefly to freelance writer Chris Van Ness. Then, two National Enquirer reporters, Tony Brenna and Larry Haley, spoke with her and published their lengthy in-person interviews with her under the headline: "I killed John Belushi. I didn't mean to, but I am responsible." This led to the charge against Smith in Belushi's murder and 13 counts of administering cocaine and heroin.[20] The National Enquirer reporters refused to testify at the subsequent trial and were threatened with incarceration by Judge Brian Crahan; however, he later vacated the contempt order.[21]

Smith eventually returned to the United States, in June 1986 where she accepted a plea bargain by "plead[ing] guilty to involuntary manslaughter and several drug charges".[22] She served 15 months in prison at California Institution for Women between December 1986 and March 1988.[22][23] She was deported to Canada after release[22] and moved to Toronto "where she worked as a legal secretary and spoke to teenagers about the dangers of drugs".

Wonderful photos of Katie and her older brother who loved her to pieces, (easily seen) and quite beautiful to see in such young children, who grow up to still be so close as these two obviously were.
http://www.malibusurfsidenews.com/current_issue.pdf

Page 11 Photos and page 17 speaks of the non-communicado of the Benton family to the Wilkins family :(

Well all I know, and am reminded of, is that there is the Sin of Commission, and then the Sin of Omission, and oftentimes, the sins of omission (in this case, omitting doing the right and moral thing) ....is the more grevious one.
Brings about the karma that no one wants.

That in itself, is not what we wish to have however, but justice on this earth, but for some of us, it must be that we will not see real justice but must remain in faith in the higher purpose that justice, (true justice) will eventually be served!

Until that day, I hope the Wilkins family can find a measure of peace someday.

My prayers go with them.

p.s. I'd LOVE to ask that Sheriff who spoke in the article, why in the case of John Belushi did the one who gave him the fatal needle end up serving time? Hard time in prison?

What is so different about this one? Other then laziness on the part of those who can press for the prosecution and follow through.

Is it money or is it laziness?

What is it?

From Wikipedia: (snipped)
Cathy Smith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MONEY!!! Dominck Dunnes show 'Power, Privilege, and Justice' Money talks and bull***** walks!:banghead:

So I've been thinking about a number of things.

First, I want the family to know that if Katie's death was from the heroin, she would not have experienced any pain in her death, it would have been very peaceful, like falling asleep. Back when I was using, I overdosed several times and actually died once. The maid at the hotel found me, all black and purple, no heartbeat no breathing. The paramedics came and gave me the series of six or seven shots that counter the effects of the heroin. Which is why I know that Chris could have done something if he had an ounce of humanity in him. But he was too afraid to deal with authorities.

I am interested in how many hours were Chris and Katie together before he left. He may have taken her car to go get more dope. Note that there are two ingredients to be mixed on the spoon. The heroin and the (either speed or coke) that gives the kick you need to counter the rush from the heroin. You cannot shoot straight heroin or you would die. So he may have left to get more of one or the other.

He would have hidden his "kit" somewhere where the used needles, spoon, etc. would be all together. If he was somewhat coherent, he would have disposed of his kit well, but it sounds like he was sloppy in covering his tracks. I realize the kit will probably not be found--doubtful he left it in the trunk, but maybe he ditched it near where the car was found?

This is slightly off topic but just wanted to correct something that ex junkie stated above, about needing to mix heroin with either coke or speed because shooting straight heroin will result in death. This is not true. Speaking from personal experience, heroin can indeed, and most often is, shot straight, meaning heroin only. In fact, mixing heroin with coke is called a speedball, and is actually way more dangerous than shooting heroin by itself. Of all heroin overdoses brought into the ER, the majority of them were the result of the user mixing the drug with cocaine, I.e., a speedball (this is what John Belushi died from), or by combining the use of heroin with consumption of alcohol. So again, heroin absolutely can and usually is shot just by itself, with no other drugs mixed in, and it is safer to do this than mixing it with any other drug, including cocaine or speed. Again, slightly off topic but just wanted to correct the above information for those who may not have much experience with these kinds of drugs. Thanks!

The support, thoughts, and efforts by those on this board are incredible. To all you guys, huge thanks. Though I don't write in daily I check in all the time, tremendous help you guys have been for me, my family, and friends who support this effort.

Katie died.
Needle marks on right arm are only indication of what led to death.
Katie is right handed.
Tox report is not back.
Cause of death unknown.
Clothes dishelved.
Car missing.
Chris Benton is likely with her in the time leading up to her death.
Logical assumption is he fled with car.

When you look at those items what is the expectation in terms of a foul play ruling coming 2 days after Katie is found dead and with Chris Benton not questioned? What sets a precedent for no foul play here when a girl is dead and the cause of death is unknown and the last known contact hasn't been questioned?

Add in to the set of circustances:
Katie has past history of Heroin use.

If a person is dead and someone fled the scene, how can no foul play stand when cause of death is unknown? Is a past drug problem the most important factor here? Should it be?
It appears to me that Katie's past drug use was the determining factor in the no foul play ruling rather than the determining factor being getting all available information and then concluding cause of death. Did the conclusion come before reason here?

What I see is.

Conclusion for no foul play: Katie a willing participant in Heroin OD
Reason: Past Drug use

Rather than what I expect to see,

Reason: Chris involvement = ?
Reason: Tox Report = ?
Reason: Print Report =?
Conclusion regarding foul play = (whatever the reasons determine)

I don't think you can let Chris off because of Katie's past drug use in this case. He’s been let off in this case because of her past drug use.

So the questions I'm having are:
1) Was this thing handled based on Katie's past drug use though that aspect of her is not definitive in determining her death on 4/27?
2) Has possible definitive information (Chris) been left out?
3) Why should non definitive information supersede possible definitive information in what the circumstances were that led to Katie's death?

I think it is more than reasonable to demand that Chris is questioned immediately and not proteced by a no foul play ruling from the coroner.

The support, thoughts, and efforts by those on this board are incredible. To all you guys, huge thanks. Though I don't write in daily I check in all the time, tremendous help you guys have been for me, my family, and friends who support this effort.

Katie died.
Needle marks on right arm are only indication of what led to death.
Katie is right handed.
Tox report is not back.
Cause of death unknown.
Clothes dishelved.
Car missing.
Chris Benton is likely with her in the time leading up to her death.
Logical assumption is he fled with car.

When you look at those items what is the expectation in terms of a foul play ruling coming 2 days after Katie is found dead and with Chris Benton not questioned? What sets a precedent for no foul play here when a girl is dead and the cause of death is unknown and the last known contact hasn't been questioned?

Add in to the set of circustances:
Katie has past history of Heroin use.

If a person is dead and someone fled the scene, how can no foul play stand when cause of death is unknown? Is a past drug problem the most important factor here? Should it be?
It appears to me that Katie's past drug use was the determining factor in the no foul play ruling rather than the determining factor being getting all available information and then concluding cause of death. Did the conclusion come before reason here?

What I see is.

Conclusion for no foul play: Katie a willing participant in Heroin OD
Reason: Past Drug use

Rather than what I expect to see,

Reason: Chris involvement = ?
Reason: Tox Report = ?
Reason: Print Report =?
Conclusion regarding foul play = (whatever the reasons determine)

I don't think you can let Chris off because of Katie's past drug use in this case. He’s been let off in this case because of her past drug use.

So the questions I'm having are:
1) Was this thing handled based on Katie's past drug use though that aspect of her is not definitive in determining her death on 4/27?
2) Has possible definitive information (Chris) been left out?
3) Why should non definitive information supersede possible definitive information in what the circumstances were that led to Katie's death?

I think it is more than reasonable to demand that Chris is questioned immediately and not proteced by a no foul play ruling from the coroner.

My opinion ONLY: (And btw, I'm just a grandmother, a stay at home mom, other then being called for jury duty, no legal background) :what:

Ref:
What sets a precedent for no foul play here when a girl is dead and the cause of death is unknown and the last known contact hasn't been questioned?

Politics in L.A. and more then likely in Malibu now (DA's office, political persuasion due to C.B. being the son of a rich and powerful positioned man.
The Sheriff's office already spoke of this when they said publically, "he has a good lawyer"

So the precedant is it is not the first time this has been used, (Political persuasion) and Status/position being indicator.

IF it had been the son of a poor man, a person not well connected, would this be the case ?
I sincerely doubt it , and any one in Law Enforcement I'm sure would agree with me, IF they were being honest with themselves (most aren't unfortunatley), there is the official line.

So is it fair?

Of course not, but then again, it goes on regularly everywhere. Just seems to be seen moreso in L.A. and surrounding enclaves of rich vs everyone else.

I truly believe from my heart what went on was a quick analysis, of who has the better public and financial position here, and C.B.'s family won out.

But that's just "imo"'

And you know what the old saying is, "everyone has an opinion like everyone has a belly button" :( True enough.

My opinion ONLY: (And btw, I'm just a grandmother, a stay at home mom, other then being called for jury duty, no legal background) :what:

Ref:

Politics in L.A. and more then likely in Malibu now (DA's office, political persuasion due to C.B. being the son of a rich and powerful positioned man.
The Sheriff's office already spoke of this when they said publically, "he has a good lawyer"

So the precedant is it is not the first time this has been used, (Political persuasion) and Status/position being indicator.

IF it had been the son of a poor man, a person not well connected, would this be the case ?
I sincerely doubt it , and any one in Law Enforcement I'm sure would agree with me, IF they were being honest with themselves (most aren't unfortunatley), there is the official line.

So is it fair?

Of course not, but then again, it goes on regularly everywhere. Just seems to be seen moreso in L.A. and surrounding enclaves of rich vs everyone else.

I truly believe from my heart what went on was a quick analysis, of who has the better public and financial position here, and C.B.'s family won out.

But that's just "imo"'

And you know what the old saying is, "everyone has an opinion like everyone has a belly button" :( True enough.

Just a grandma :), i'm sure there are a few who describe you as, GRANDMA!

With the Benton's involvement the politics angle can be a bit of a pitfall, because it provides an easy excuse for things that don't go the way I (we) would like things to go. But politics so far I believe have presented limited if any undertow to the developments in the case. Money, power in terms of the course Chris took after he was exposed by the investigation,... I see those exposing a lack of character (both for Chris, and for his father for enabling that action), but it was a choice given the circumstances.

It is my understanding that the no foul play ruling came before Chris Benton was a known factor in this case.

I think that Katie's past drug use was a critical determining factor in the no foul play ruling, I'd like the critical determining factors to be other items like Chris's account and a final tox report, both of which were not in when the no foul play ruling was given.

You are truly a good brother and know that I for one am so proud of you but most importantly your family and Katie are proud of you. You keep fighting for Katie and be her voice.

I can not fathom leaving someone to die, stealing their car, and then running to Daddy's lawyer. Those people represent themselves as christians and that makes me sick. I am spiritual but I do not believe in organized religion and these people represent some of the reasons I feel the way I do.

Katie will always be with you. Please get counseling. You will need it. My mom died right in front of me and I had a hard time remembering anything but seeing her like that. I want you to be able to remember your beautiful sister happy an alive.

Thank you for sharing the memory of your mother. I'm in grief counseling. I also shared the memory with someone I trusted and respected and that helped me. I had the prominent memory of the "moment" issues for awhile, still do from time to time. I do remember her for everything else now though and even how I found her is a part of it, just not the only part.

It seems to me that if the 'marks' of some kind of injection were on her right arm, and Katie was right handed, and if there was no evidence of a needle or spoon (or however this might have been done) near her, or anywhere in the garage or in the house, then I don't understand how she could have overdosed herself. That would lead me to believe that 'foul play' would be on the table until or unless some other reason for Katie's death is found.

Just because Katie was a prior drug addict, does not necessarily mean that she had resumed the practice, especially if none of the acoutrements of such a practice were found. It doesn't any sense to me.

Graduation season for Pepperdine is over as of this weekend, I think. Maybe it will give Andrew Benton a time now to reflect on issues of right and wrong.

It seems to me that if the 'marks' of some kind of injection were on her right arm, and Katie was right handed, and if there was no evidence of a needle or spoon (or however this might have been done) near her, or anywhere in the garage or in the house, then I don't understand how she could have overdosed herself. That would lead me to believe that 'foul play' would be on the table until or unless some other reason for Katie's death is found.

Just because Katie was a prior drug addict, does not necessarily mean that she had resumed the practice, especially if none of the acoutrements of such a practice were found. It doesn't any sense to me.

Graduation season for Pepperdine is over as of this weekend, I think. Maybe it will give Andrew Benton a time now to reflect on issues of right and wrong.

True, a prior drug addiction, yet as I pointed to, some people in our society are seen as "less then".....But hey, IF it were their child, their sister, their mother, their........then all bets are off! We'd see action then. Sad, but true.

How many prostitutes are murdered each year, and there is not a great outcry except when there are a few parents or siblings who cared enough to make a mission of capturing their killer.

There are actually a few of these cases back East mostly in NYC and perhaps points south.

They aren't "less then" because they were someone's sister, someone's mother, someone's child.

I still say it's the position he holds as the son of a quasi-famous person albeit in a certain small enclave.

I doubt someone without a conscience, will suddenly grow one either. :( Seldom seen. :jail:

BTW: I found this much older case, about a decade ago. Look how times have changed fro going after the perps.

Back in the “olden days” as recently as 10 yrs ago, just a decade ago, power & privilege, being well connected didn’t play into the justice
as much as it appears to today as seen by this article, the arrest of Andrew Luster after a coed in college, a non-connected young woman
accused him of raping her with the date rape drugs he used.

Today, I would seriously wonder, if they’d bother at all going after him.

http://articles.latimes.com/2003/jan/22/local/me-luster22

Luster, who lived alone in Mussel Shoals, was arrested outside his home on July 18, 2000, after a UC Santa Barbara student told police he had raped her there.

During a search of the house, Ventura County Sheriff's Department detectives found the videotapes in a locked bedroom closet.

Authorities also seized cocaine and other drugs, as well as weapons. Luster was charged with multiple counts of rape based on the university student's report and the two videotapes. He was initially held on $10-million bail after prosecutors persuaded a judge that he was a flight risk.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back