ME ME - Ayla Reynolds, 20 mnths, Waterville, 17 December 2011 - # 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may have missed some of his media appearances... Has he explained how it came about that TR says that Ayla wasn't taken into the ER for 24 hours after she broke her arm?

Never mind, I found it...
http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/i-fell-on-herfather-says_2012-01-06.html

So, his mother was home too and none of them had the common sense to have her checked when a big man fell on her on the stairs, and they wouldn't take her to ER because they didn't realize anything was wrong, and because Justin had paid for driving lessons.

When my daughter was 5 she broke her wrist rollerskating with her aunt. This was around 5 pm. She came home around 9pm after visiting with her aunt for the day. She did not cry, or act like it even hurt ...same as in the article. It was not until the next day that her arm swelled and became bruised. We took her to ER and it was a horrible fracture. One bone literally went into another in which pins and surgery took place. She never cried, (except when she first fell according to her aunt) and nothing appeared to be "hurt" until the next day and the obvious swelling/bruising.

snipped from : http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/dipietro-family-kept-out-of-homefor-two-weeks_2012-01-06.html

"I walked out of my house to go down to the station to give statements, and all of a sudden we were homeless on top of everything else," recalled Phoebe DiPietro, the 21-month-old child's grandmother.

JMO ... but this statement from Ayla's GM stood out to me like a "red flag" !

HOMELESS ? You have got to be kidding, right ?

She has absolutely NO IDEA what it is like to be TRULY "homeless" ...

Good Grief ... they were temporarily "inconvenienced" while the home was "investigated" in order to help FIND THE MISSING CHILD !

WHAT is more important: a "temporary inconvenience" or your "comforts" when you have a child MISSING ?

JMO ... but it seemed that GM was MORE concerned about HER "comforts" and NOT being "inconvenienced" than finding the missing child ...

And one other thing I wish the reporter would have asked Ayla's GM :

DEFINE "on top of everything else" ... :waitasec:

Unbelievable ...

MOO MOO and MOO !!!

I don't think she was talking about inconvenience. They are thrust into the media spotlight now because they've come to understand people are questioning their actions for not being. I think the above is part of an overall explanation of why the media wouldn't have been their first priority in the first weeks Ayla went missing. They are somewhat defensive I agree, but can't really blame them.

I personally get the feeling that the paternal side is acting under the guidance of LE. When they talk, what they talk about, all of it. It's just a feeling though, not a fact.

Abby, I am quite confident they are and should. I know Bob at LRC quite well with our interactions and shared cases and both his org as well as mine always advises family to only discuss what PD will allow. The last thing anyone wants is to compromise an investigation. Media relations is part of services provided to families...so in essence...you hit the nail on the head:)

Same here, Lavanda, even my daughter's PCP declined to have her arm X-rayed because she wasn't in enough pain, she could move it, and it wasn't horribly swollen. I ended up taking her for an x-ray a few days later anyway and sure enough it was broken- and at that point it was a really big deal because it had sat untreated for so many days.

I don't think she was talking about inconvenience. They are thrust into the media spotlight now because they've come to understand people are questioning their actions for not being. I think the above is part of an overall explanation of why the media wouldn't have been their first priority in the first weeks Ayla went missing. They are somewhat defensive I agree, but can't really blame them.

I absolutely agree. Another aspect that the public needs to understand is that not everyone has the ability to speak in front of cameras or interview well. Also, people are people from all walks of life and terrible things happen to intelligent people and terrible things happen to those who may not have exceptional grammar or the same kind of living environment as the next. One cannot compare how one family reacts, or acts, to another family in the same situation.

I rarely post, but I would like to comment on Ayla's broken arm, and not being taken to the hospital for 24 hours. I broke my arm when I was in the 4th grade and it did not swell or show any signs of being broken (other than being sore) until the following day. My mother has felt guilty for the past 31 years that she did not know and did not take me to the hospital immediately. Unless a bone is obviously bent or protruding from the skin, it is often difficult to determine a break from a sprain or a bruise. Breaking a bone is really not that big of a deal, in my opinion. I personally feel that Ayla having a broken arm and then turning up missing is nothing but coincidence or bad timing. It is unfortunate that once something like this happens, the parents and others involved are put under a microscope and the public is allowed to dissect every single thing that they have ever done.

I may have missed some of his media appearances... Has he explained how it came about that TR says that Ayla wasn't taken into the ER for 24 hours after she broke her arm?

Never mind, I found it...
http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/i-fell-on-herfather-says_2012-01-06.html

So, his mother was home too and none of them had the common sense to have her checked when a big man fell on her on the stairs, and they wouldn't take her to ER because they didn't realize anything was wrong, and because Justin had paid for driving lessons.

When my daughter was six she turned he ankle at home in the living while watching ice skating on tv and attempting to manuever a spin on non-iced surface :waitasec: She complained it hurt but it didnt appear swollen etc so I figured fine. After school the next day the ankle was swollen so I took her to the ER and she had a hairline fracture ad required a splint for a few weeks. I felt horrible I hadn't taken her right away and even sent her to the school the next day. I am not a neglectful mother nor have I ever hurt my child. These things happen. Now guaranteed my child didn't turn up missing a few weeks later so I do understand why this its a question, but something like this in itself isn't a clear indication of something amiss.

snipped from : http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/dipietro-family-kept-out-of-homefor-two-weeks_2012-01-06.html

"I walked out of my house to go down to the station to give statements, and all of a sudden we were homeless on top of everything else," recalled Phoebe DiPietro, the 21-month-old child's grandmother.

Good Grief ... they were temporarily "inconvenienced" while the home was "investigated" in order to help FIND THE MISSING CHILD !

WHAT is more important: a "temporary inconvenience" or your "comforts" when you have a child MISSING ?

JMO ... but it seemed that GM was MORE concerned about HER "comforts" and NOT being "inconvenienced" than finding the missing child ...

Unbelievable ...

MOO MOO and MOO !!!

I'm sure the comment of "on top of everything else" was in reference to Ayla being missing.

I rarely post, but I would like to comment on Ayla's broken arm, and not being taken to the hospital for 24 hours. I broke my arm when I was in the 4th grade and it did not swell or show any signs of being broken (other than being sore) until the following day. My mother has felt guilty for the past 31 years that she did not know and did not take me to the hospital immediately. Unless a bone is obviously bent or protruding from the skin, it is often difficult to determine a break from a sprain or a bruise. Breaking a bone is really not that big of a deal, in my opinion. I personally feel that Ayla having a broken arm and then turning up missing is nothing but coincidence or bad timing. It is unfortunate that once something like this happens, the parents and others involved are put under a microscope and the public is allowed to dissect every single thing that they have ever done.

I agree. It's been 31 years for me too and I still feel awful about slipping on the ice and falling on my daughter and she was only a few months old and received the worst "egg" on her head! To this day I think about how dumb it was of me to have taken her out of her baby seat and carried her in...I should have carried the baby seat with her in it. Oh...and poor baby...on my first day home from the hospital I was holding her in one of those slippery one piece pjs (they used to make them real thin and slippery) and I pulled her bottle from the pan on the stove and felt her slipping and I took my hand with the bottle to hoist her upwards and the bottle touched her leg through the pj and she screamed bloody murder. I cried and cried and looked and it was red...but luckily went away after ointment. Oh my. I can remember this like yesterday!!

Unbelievable ...

MOO MOO and MOO !!!

I, personally, do not feel what the Grandmother said is a "red flag" for anything. I think that Phoebe was trying to describe all of the stresses that they were under during the first 2 weeks. They wake up to find this baby missing. Who knows if they actually got out of their pajamas that day before going down to the police station; then they were informed that they were no allowed back into their home. This is one more reason why they were not up to being interviewed; they were distraught over Ayla & hurt by all of the accusations; they were couch surfing without any of their own belongings. This family does not appear to have an exuberant amount of money to be able to go get a hotel room & buy themselves more clothes, necessities, etc. This didn't only displace Justin & his mother, but also Elisha & her baby. So this baby had to be in strange places without any of her own items, diapers, binkies, toys......I'm sorry, but that would be a completely stressful situation. Then they have the public scrutinizing every single word that they say. I feel very sorry for the loss that everyone is going through, as well as the public opinion that they face everywhere they turn.

These are completely my own feelings & opinion on this situation

During the most recent interview, there is a pack of ciggs and an ashtray on the coffee table for the poster who asked if there were smokers in the house. And, same experience for me when my son broke his arm.....thought it was a sprain so didn't go to have it checked til the next day after it happened. Broken. I felt like a total failure as a mom....that was 20 yrs. ago and I still feel bad about it!!

Sitting in her living room, steps away from Ayla's bedroom, DiPietro said she heard nothing while she slept that night. She wasn't the last one to go to bed that night and wasn't sure whether the doors were locked. She and her son suspect the child was abducted.

I'm not sure but maybe Ayla's bedroom is on the main floor next to the living room. JMO

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/07/justice/maine-missing-girl/index.html

During the most recent interview, there is a pack of ciggs and an ashtray on the coffee table for the poster who asked if there were smokers in the house. And, same experience for me when my son broke his arm.....thought it was a sprain so didn't go to have it checked til the next day after it happened. Broken. I felt like a total failure as a mom....that was 20 yrs. ago and I still feel bad about it!!

Good eye, thanks Amster. So I guess people weren't going in and out the door to smoke outside. JMO

I agree. It's been 31 years for me too and I still feel awful about slipping on the ice and falling on my daughter and she was only a few months old and received the worst "egg" on her head! To this day I think about how dumb it was of me to have taken her out of her baby seat and carried her in...I should have carried the baby seat with her in it. Oh...and poor baby...on my first day home from the hospital I was holding her in one of those slippery one piece pjs (they used to make them real thin and slippery) and I pulled her bottle from the pan on the stove and felt her slipping and I took my hand with the bottle to hoist her upwards and the bottle touched her leg through the pj and she screamed bloody murder. I cried and cried and looked and it was red...but luckily went away after ointment. Oh my. I can remember this like yesterday!!

LOL....I certainly do remember those sleepers! And, heating bottles on the stove. AND, all of the guilt that stays with a mom FOREVER! :seeya:

Good eye, thanks Amster. So I guess people weren't going in and out the door to smoke outside. JMO

Doesn't look like it. Unless...they just started smoking inside since Ayla isn't there. But, isn't there another baby living there? OR, maybe the ciggs belonged to the reporter....but, I doubt it! :crazy:

When my daughter was six she turned he ankle at home in the living while watching ice skating on tv and attempting to manuever a spin on non-iced surface :waitasec: She complained it hurt but it didnt appear swollen etc so I figured fine. After school the next day the ankle was swollen so I took her to the ER and she had a hairline fracture ad required a splint for a few weeks. I felt horrible I hadn't taken her right away and even sent her to the school the next day. I am not a neglectful mother nor have I ever hurt my child. These things happen. Now guaranteed my child didn't turn up missing a few weeks later so I do understand why this its a question, but something like this in itself isn't a clear indication of something amiss.

You're no doubt an excellent parent but I don't trust JDP's account.

DiPietro, 24, said the accident occurred on a rainy night in November, but he's unsure of the exact date.
'

"It was a dark and stormy night..." by Snoopy. There is no reason for him not to be sure of the exact date, he's been through this with the police enough to have covered when it happened. He knows when his last driving lessons were. LE have no doubt gotten the notes from the ER with the exact date of the ER visit on them and if they were thorough they asked his driving teacher for their schedule too. The exact date of the accident should be 24 hours before the ER visit and 24 hours before his last driving lesson. Not too hard to compute. That is, unless considerably longer than 24 hours elapsed between the accident and the ER visit.

"I came up the stairs and slipped. It happened so fast, I don't know exactly how I fell on her, but I fell on her," he said. "It's burned into my brain."

What exactly is burned into his brain if he doesn't know what happened?
Usually people use this expression differently, if something is burned into their brain they mean that they will always remember exactly. He probably knows exactly how it happened imo.

The next day, DiPietro left to attend a commercial driver's license course at Lawrence Adult Education in Fairfield. Before he left the driveway, however, Phoebe DiPietro called him back in into the house.

"When I came in, she showed me Ayla's hand and it was swollen," he said.

Ayla wasn't crying, Phoebe DiPietro said. So, the family weighed a decision.

"It was my last class," Justin DiPietro said. "I paid a fairly good amount of money for that."

DiPietro considered skipping class, but his mother advised against it.

"I was, like, 'We have to bring her to the emergency room,' and she said, 'Well, she's fine right now.'"

There is a disconnect here imo. You don't call someone back in from the driveway just because their child is fine. Her hand was swollen, she was not fine. I understand that the money spent on the driving lessons was a priority but was there any reason his mom or whoever else was looking after Ayla while he was taking the driving lessons could not have taken Ayla to ER after noticing that the hand was swollen?

On top of that, she was also unable to lift, bend and use her arm. But she was OK and didn't need the ER.

DiPietro said Ayla's arm was healing well in the days before she disappeared.

"Her arm was to the point now, before all this happened, that she was lifting it up. She wasn't bending it, but she would take (the splint) off sometimes, and she was getting to the point where she was starting to use that arm again," he said.

FWIW when I broke my arm it was just the tiniest hairline fracture that healed in two weeks or so but it hurt like hello right away and I was unable to use it immediately.

I don't think this is the whole truth and nothing but the truth about how Ayla broke her arm but of course it doesn't mean he knows what happened to Ayla later.

I was in a car accident a while back. Right after the accident, my wrists hurt from grabbing the steering wheel tightly. My doctor gave me xrays on my wrists. He asked me when did I break my wrist. I told him I never broke my wrist. He said "Oh yes you did" and showed me where the fracture was and that it was an old fracture. I never knew it.

It's possible people.

I, personally, do not feel what the Grandmother said is a "red flag" for anything. I think that Phoebe was trying to describe all of the stresses that they were under during the first 2 weeks. They wake up to find this baby missing. Who knows if they actually got out of their pajamas that day before going down to the police station; then they were informed that they were no allowed back into their home. This is one more reason why they were not up to being interviewed; they were distraught over Ayla & hurt by all of the accusations; they were couch surfing without any of their own belongings. This family does not appear to have an exuberant amount of money to be able to go get a hotel room & buy themselves more clothes, necessities, etc. This didn't only displace Justin & his mother, but also Elisha & her baby. So this baby had to be in strange places without any of her own items, diapers, binkies, toys......I'm sorry, but that would be a completely stressful situation. Then they have the public scrutinizing every single word that they say. I feel very sorry for the loss that everyone is going through, as well as the public opinion that they face everywhere they turn.

These are completely my own feelings & opinion on this situation

Thank you for saying this so well. Please understand that for some of us, just buying more diapers or pull ups may be a challenge if the budget is tight with Christmas. Plus buying toothbrushes, underwear, etc. Add that to the shock, fear, and trauma of a missing child who was obviously loved. JMO

I was in a car accident a while back. Right after the accident, my wrists hurt from grabbing the steering wheel tightly. My doctor gave me xrays on my wrists. He asked me when did I break my wrist. I told him I never broke my wrist. He said "Oh yes you did" and showed me where the fracture was and that it was an old fracture. I never knew it.

It's possible people.

I expect you would have known you broke it if you had been unable to use your hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10