LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never thought except very briefly that she might be under the truck -- but I considered her bike being under there a possibility. Still do, I guess.

I still think it's a possibility. Never thought she was under there either...just the bike. But I wonder like many if that is why he mentioned being attacked t a gas station.

I think it is almost completely inconceivable that at 3pm in the afternoon some Caucasian man with gold teeth was able to tussle with him for long enough to inflict all those stab wounds at a public gas station and no one called police. It would be different if it was late at night perhaps.

And what kind of hat covers most of your face?

Had to work all night, then sleep, and still catching up. Y'all are so fast!

Speculation's here and a question: Do you think BL's went to the hospital because if MS body was found and it traced back to him, he would have weaved a story of, she attacked him and he was only defending himself? I'm going off of his prior arrest for the Sex Offense story he gave. If this is likely then I would guess her body will be close to that HOSPITAL.

What say you? I'm thinking out loud here so all T's and I's are not crossed. Is it a possibility and if not why not?

Edit to add BL's story goes something like this: I stopped and spoke to MS as she was riding her bike, she and I decided to go out for some drinks blah blah blah....we went to blah blah blah, and out of nowhere she attacked me blah blah blah

I can still entertain a notion that this was not, at least originally, a sex offender type of crime.

It's not totally unthinkable to me that BSL might have hit Mickey accidentally, panicked and grabbed her up because of fears of going back to prison, further alienating his gf's family, losing any ground he felt he'd made in attaining a "normal" life. (Not a good thing to do, of course, but still not the same as stalking a victim.)

I think he could have planned to hold her, alive, while he thought things out. But maybe she got a chance to attack him (because of course she would not be wanting to be held captive, whatever his motivation) and he killed her then -- or maybe she died of her original injuries. Or maybe she escaped from him at some point and he pursued, caught up, there was a struggle and he was injured then.

All the things he appears to have done to "cover" could still have seemed necessary steps to him. If he made a panicked decision to seize her in these circumstances, I think there would be no turning back for him later.

I agree that this could very well be a possibility. It doesn't have to be the most likely scenario to be true.

I don't think they have said how they have placed his truck at Whiskey Bay.

The bike was found before they likely had any GPS info on him (from burned truck or however). They did do further searching there after the bike was found, so maybe later they knew something from GPS.

Perhaps from the tire tracks. I do know they found tire tracks in an area that was consistent to where the bike was dumped per a link on the media page. The fire may not have burned the tires so that they could get a match on the tire impressions. They also could have compared those impressing from WB to the impressions at his home.

Speculation's here and a question: Do you think BL's went to the hospital because if MS body was found and it traced back to him, he would have weaved a story of, she attacked him and he was only defending himself? I'm going off of his prior arrest for the Sex Offense story he gave. If this is likely then I would guess her body will be close to that HOSPITAL.

What say you? I'm thinking out loud here so all T's and I's are not crossed. Is it a possibility and if not why not?

Edit to add BL's story goes something like this: I stopped and spoke to MS as she was riding her bike, she and I decided to go out for some drinks blah blah blah....we went to blah blah blah, and out of nowhere she attacked me blah blah blah

Near the hospital--- I don't see why not. Maybe.

I feel like anywhere between Latwell and into Jefferson Parish makes sense.

I really wish appeals were being made for people who own land up and down Hwy 90 to walk their land and look for disturbed/out of place stuff on it, especially near NOLA. Just in case.
However, the fact that Texas Equusearch is searching near Church Point (without volunteers but with professional or highly-trained searchers) tells me LE may have some reason to really focus in the area closer to his home.

Has LE said they placed his truck at WB or they placed him at WB?

I'm really starting to think that he didn't kill her until 3:00pm.
That he really did get stabbed at that time.

Maybe the truck wasn't a crime scene YET. Could he have put her under the house or in a shallow grave for a few days and then mover her AFTER his check in for RSO with LE?
He had to replace the flashing due to the smell maybe?
The major crime scene at his home is a BIG clue.

Maybe his truck was burned due to decomp?

Maybe he took the flashing along with all the clean up materials
and burned it all?

With LE searching yesterday and Texas Equusearch there today...
They must be working on a tip!

moo

Perhaps this is the unsolved murder BSL was a POI in back in 1999?

"Another Lafayette woman, Lisa Pate, 35, was found dead underneath some
boards behind a house near Church Point in Oct. 1999.....
Investigators have a suspect in Pate's death, but he's already in jail
for an unrelated offense, Latiolais said."

This article was written when Dene Colomb was murdered (it's about unsolved murders in the area and serial killers), so BSL would have been in jail at the time....

http://biere.louisiana.edu:2194/iw-...cid=0EB479141D06DF8E&p_docnum=2&p_queryname=4
If that link doesn't work for you, this one may:
https://groups.google.com/forum/m/?fromgroups#!topic/alt.true-crime/oc58dXgNuvA

I can't find anything else about her.

I'm really starting to think that he didn't kill her until 3:00pm.
That he really did get stabbed at that time.

Maybe the truck wasn't a crime scene YET. Could he have put her under the house or in a shallow grave for a few days and then mover her AFTER his check in for RSO with LE?
He had to replace the flashing due to the smell maybe?
The major crime scene at his home is a BIG clue.

Maybe his truck was burned due to decomp?

Maybe he took the flashing along with all the clean up materials
and burned it all?

With LE searching yesterday and Texas Equusearch there today...
They must be working on a tip!

moo

Not that it helped in the Casy Anthony trial but maybe BSL heard that the dogs were able to smell decomp in the trunk of her car. That would be a good reason to get rid of the truck.
Praying that TE finds Mickey!

I don't think it was a random accident for a few reasons. Number one, what was he doing driving around there at that time of night? It is weird he would be out drinking all alone, unless he was trolling for a victim, imo. I don't see any other reason for him to be out driving those deserted streets at 2 am unless he was on a 'mission.'

Also, if it was just an accident, then why stop and pick up all of the evidence and put it in your truck? I think the first impulse would be to drive away as quickly as possible. And I don't think she was that badly injured in the 'bump' from the truck. There was no reason for him to kill her, if it was a simp,e accident. JMO

I think the fact that he is an RSO tells us the motive behind this 'accident.'

Your reasons are certainly good ones and support a good theory.

I have always thought it could have been accidental. I was a bartender for many years and a lot of men do come in and drink alone. This was right about the time people leave the bars. I have not seen any solid evidence that he was ou drinking but we don't know who may have come forward that had seen him out.

It's my opinion that she would have been hurt at least enough to disorient her quite a bit, if not provide some significant injuries. It wouldn't take much to grab the bike and her if he did it quickly. A bike likely would not have left any fragments a the sight. I personally do not think she stabbed him but if she did it could have been when she came to her senses and realized what was going on. I still believe the stab wounds, other than the finger, are self-inflicted.

He clearly believes the system is against him and no one would believe it was an accident. He definitely didn't want to go back to jail so may have felt he had to do this.

I lean towards it not being an accident but I can see good points to back up both theories.

Do we have any solid evidence that he has ever burned anything prior to Mickeys disappearance? I have seen so much talk of it but not sure I have seen anything to really make it a fact. I may have missed it though.

Respectfully snipped:

Considering Mickey was carrying defensive spray and was said to carry a box cutter - perhaps she was trained to some extent. Anyone know?

For some reason, I'm thinking Mickey was unable to do much after be struck down from her bike. Perhaps she realized that she out of earshot and too weak to run, so she decided to play unconscious till she had the best chance to use her box cutter on this .
A box cutter is very easy to carry, and you can keep the blade retraced so if you fall off your bike you don't stab yourself... also, not sure about law saying it's a weapon since blade is small... (should google that...)

she may have been. however usually when the average citizen is "trained" in self defense it is self defense classes that teaches you how to use your body weight, hit, scream, fight, etc. i don't know of any, to my knowledge at least, that teaches you how to cut people with boxcutters, and if they did you wouldn't stab with them really, you'd slash wrists or necks.

either way, mickey valiantly fought. she was aware enough to not have just 1, but 2 weapons. and she caused not one but four injuries (that we know of) to a 220lb RSO. she is one AMAZING woman. and who even knows the circumstances in which she did this. she fought back which is what we have always been told to do if you were ever attacked, usually they say perps want an easy target and will usually leave if you're too much trouble, which of course isn't always the cause. but she gave it her all. i have gained even more respect for her after learning these new aspects of the case over the last couple of days.

Your reasons are certainly good ones and support a good theory.

I have always thought it could have been accidental. I was a bartender for many years and a lot of men do come in and drink alone. This was right about the time people leave the bars. I have not seen any solid evidence that he was ou drinking but we don't know who may have come forward that had seen him out.

It's my opinion that she would have been hurt at least enough to disorient her quite a bit, if not provide some significant injuries. It wouldn't take much to grab the bike and her if he did it quickly. A bike likely would not have left any fragments a the sight. I personally do not think she stabbed him but if she did it could have been when she came to her senses and realized what was going on. I still believe the stab wounds, other than the finger, are self-inflicted.

He clearly believes the system is against him and no one would believe it was an accident. He definitely didn't want to go back to jail so may have felt he had to do this.

I lean towards it not being an accident but I can see good points to back up both theories.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the injury to his hand was from him grabbing the box cutter from her.
If she was pointing it at him or had stabbed him he probably would grab it from the sharp end...

From the sound of it he was not stabbed with a switch blade! The neck wound looks consistent with a box cutter.

I can't believe accident because his dad was in the hospital and the family was with him. Brandon knew he would have time to "get a girl" while his family was dealing with the illness.

The father was there for 2 weeks...
Is a hospital near where he was caught on camera? (maybe)

AHHH!!!!! BSL couldn't go to THAT ER because his whole frickin family was there! He might have run into one of them! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

There are no reports of his not being drunk, either, and due to the mess with his GF's family, and due to the time of her disappearance on a Friday night, I refuse to rule it out.

Or even not drunk but distraught and agitated over those problems, out driving around because he couldn't sleep, etc., because of it, lost in his thoughts and his mind not on his driving...IMO, just another possibility.

bbm: I thought about that, too! Does it usually cause a skin reaction that might look like poison ivy, anyone know?

As for poison ivy -- I'm not super-sensitive to it, but the few times I have had it, it set in to some degree pretty quickly (within a few hours). Usually on my fingers if I had grabbed a really good hold of a vine of it or something like that -- firm, prolonged contact, really scrubbing across it. IMO, reaction time is going to vary according to a lot of factors and definitely with individual sensitivity.

The idea that it can affect folks strongly when it is burned, mentioned at a link given earlier -- which I also personally know to be true -- gives some pause for thought, too, here. What if he was burning evidence of some type, right in the middle of lots of poison ivy, and sticking close to keep an eye on the process?

can someone refresh my memory as to what day he was seen in the hospital and which hospital that they said they could not perform surgery on him because of poison ivy? I have had poison ivy many times, but it generally was about 48 hours before it was noticeable. I am thinking that he said poison ivy because he had a very red rash and I am thinking that probably was from mace. But depending on when this incident occurred, he could have burned the body in deep woods and contacted poison ivy either from vines or from actually burning some. However, if it was on his hands, I vote for actual contact with the stuff. Generally I have seen poison ivy reaction on the face (which makes the eyes swell so bad they almost close).

It seems so..the only question I have with the new article regarding the 5/28 check in. Did they look out the window and see the truck was the same? Did they go and look at the license plate? Did they view the inside of the truck? How exactly do they confirm the information on the white truck was a match? IMHO, he had been checking in every 3 months since 2008. He had no issues

I also noted in the article

During the interviews, Vizena said, detectives check a sex offender's driver's license to ensure it hasn't been modified in addition to checking for all vehicles registered with the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles and calling a sex offender's boss to verify employment.

So may assumption is that they did a records check as opposed to checking the Z71 in person? Here we are thinking he was an unlucky guy..maybe he was luckier that we guessed. Anyone have any idea?

Kelly

Now my brother is not a sex offender but is required to see a parole officer once a month. I have gone with him a few times as he does not drive. They sit down and chit chat for about two minutes and no questions are asked and no information is verified. There have been times he hasn't gone at all and he has never been picked up for it.

Could it be that things can be a little lax when the same detectives see the same offender for a number of years and nothing is ever different from one visit to the next? I am not accusing anyone of bad police work..just know that it can become mundane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong