Use helium-filled metallic balloons - go to jail?

I wonder just how many fires, etc. a year we are talking about here. I think it is relevant that there were no numbers in this report.

I mean, compared to other crap that happens, is it more, less, or about the same?

What a bizarre thing!

That seems kind of stupid.

From golfmom's article:

"It's sort of like trying to kill an ant with an atom bomb," Broad said.

He said current law requires weights on balloons and said the solution may be to do more education of the public and balloon sellers about the danger, he said.

"Before you set about to criminalize an activity common at birthday parties and anniversaries, you ought to consider a more restrained way to deal with the issue," Broad said.

It just seems like it's going way overboard to deal with it this way.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-mew-balloons9apr09,0,6634197.story

Mylar balloons have caused 63 outages in Burbank since 1993, representing the third-largest cause of blackouts, city officials said.

So that's about 4 a year. And if it's the 3rd largest cause, I wonder how many "blackouts" the top two cause? I mean, if the top two are weather and earthquakes and together they cause 85% of all the blackouts, then this is pretty stupid.

And by "blackouts" are they including when a few houses lose power for an hour or so, or is it only the big stuff.

I hate statistics!!

I've actually had two very fun jobs that included filling balloons. We just advised folks to never release mylar balloons because they're harmful to the environment and can cause damage. Once customers are informed to the dangers, most folks take more care.

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of!! That is like banning ice cream because it might drip on the sidewalk where people walk! I can't believe that it unanimously passed the senate committee when it should never have gotten off the ground in the first place!! WTH?! I say those lawmakers have a bit too much time on their hands!

The California Senate has voted to ban helium-filled metallic balloons because they too frequently fly away and get tangled in electrical lines. That has caused hundreds of power outages in recent years and led to costly repairs for utilities.

Starting in 2010, anyone caught selling the popular party supplies faces a $100 fine under a bill the Senate approved Thursday and sent to the state Assembly.

http://www.kcra.com/news/16430393/detail.html

:twocents::twocents:Well, *GOOD*! Those things are also a menace to wildlife! (Sea Life, birds and other creatures too.) I'm GLAD something is finally being done about them.:twocents::twocents:

Wikipedia said:
However, there has been some environmental concern, since the metalized nylon does not biodegrade or shred as a rubber balloon does, and a helium balloon released into the atmosphere can travel a long way before finally bursting or deflating. Release of these types of balloons into the atmosphere is considered harmful to the environment. This type of balloon can also conduct electricity on its surface and released foil balloons can become entangled in power lines and cause power outages.

Released balloons can land almost anywhere, including on nature preserves or other areas where they pose a serious hazard to animals through ingestion or entanglement. Latex balloons are especially dangerous to sea creatures because latex retains its elasticity for 12 months or more when exposed to sea water rather than air.[3] Because of the harm to wildlife and the effect of litter on the environment, some jurisdictions even legislate to control mass balloon releases. Legislation proposed in Maryland, USA was named after Inky, a pygmy sperm whale who needed 6 operations after swallowing debris, the largest piece of which was a mylar balloon.[4][5]

WHAT
so you won't be able to get a metalic balloon vs. a latex one?
that is really bad for people like me... and those with spina bifdia, etc.
i have a SEVERE latex allergy and those popping latex balloons, can potientally make me very sick... combine that with my allergic onset ASTHMA... omg. i can't be around those. i could have a status attack.
i figured that out the last time i tried to blow up balloons for a kid on the peds unit. i don't even blow up balloons for my own kids... up until recently, because i am lazy. i've always made my hubby do it, because the excertion makes me short of breath with my asthma or we just usually get the hellium with just a few scattered on the floor blown up by us.
but anyway, i had told this kid i would help... i was sick for days and i had only blown up 3 balloons. 3!! went straight to my asthmatic / allergic lungs. at the end of it, i figured out that they had to have been latex balloons. mylar balloons only for me!

The State budget is due to be signed June 30th and no one can come to an acceptible agreement, so it is doubtful that is will be signed on time. All State agencies are ground to a halt without the budget, State purchasing for State agencies has been stopped (except for emergencies) due to the "fiscal emergency," and THIS is that is going through our legislature????

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back