Steven Powell was involved in disappearance

I have the feeling that SP knows EXACTLY what happened to Susan....right down to where she is buried.

I think he will talk. Whether he tells the truth or not is another thing entirely. If he was involved, he won't admit to it.....he will lay all the blame at Josh's feet.

And.....the thing that bothers me the most......he will NEVER tell where Susan's body is. His family's hatred for the Cox family runs so deep that he will take that information to the grave.

I would LOVE to be wrong about that...Lord, I would love to be wrong.

It would not be difficult to imagine that a highly intelligent, perverse/manipulative person could be the puppeteer, architect of such a horrific crime, and in so doing, escape blame or prosecution.

This has been exhibited in both reality and fiction.

I have the feeling that SP knows EXACTLY what happened to Susan....right down to where she is buried.

I think he will talk. Whether he tells the truth or not is another thing entirely. If he was involved, he won't admit to it.....he will lay all the blame at Josh's feet.

And.....the thing that bothers me the most......he will NEVER tell where Susan's body is. His family's hatred for the Cox family runs so deep that he will take that information to the grave.

I would LOVE to be wrong about that...Lord, I would love to be wrong.

They somehow got Zahra's evil stepmonster to show them where she put the body so maybe they have some methods to try and get these kind of people to give them some information in exchange for a lighter charge, I suppose. I wonder if they could make him some kind of deal that he would go for. I don't like deals at all but if it will find Susan's body, it might be worth it. Whatever deal they can make, I still hope SP dies in jail. He is only 61 but he looks much older. Abuse of sex does that to people. Abuse of alcohol and drugs does it, too.

I have several ideas about how to get information from SP.

PM me if you are interested.

They somehow got Zahra's evil stepmonster to show them where she put the body so maybe they have some methods to try and get these kind of people to give them some information in exchange for a lighter charge, I suppose. I wonder if they could make him some kind of deal that he would go for. I don't like deals at all but if it will find Susan's body, it might be worth it. Whatever deal they can make, I still hope SP dies in jail. He is only 61 but he looks much older. Abuse of sex does that to people. Abuse of alcohol and drugs does it, too.

While torture is often touted as the way to get a confession, what has been proven more effective in getting good confessions (versus coerced false confessions) from perpetrators is by the investigators being very sympathetic, pretending to totally buy into the perp's rationalisations and basically giving them emotional support for whatever it is the perp did.

The investigators who do this probably feel like gagging afterwards but the results are worth it.

SP obviously gets off on feeling like a picked on, wrongly accused, persecuted martyr. I would think the sympathetic approach would be highly successful, if the investigator were given enough time to get SP's trust.

It still blows me away to think after all the control over JP...and maybe going so far as involvement in Susan's disappearance to keep that control, his addiction to *advertiser censored* and cp was so strong, that once he had JP and kids, he couldn't give it up....or atleast not keep his treasures in the family home. Talk about delusional narcissism? I'd love to see his psych eval, and no telling what he has done that LE hasn't released...or even they have no knowledge of!!!

Jen left when she was 18, iirc, and he had all those years ---almost 2 decades to work on the others. How much did the other siblings share with her? The males in family wouldn't share, imo, and there is 10+ yr age gap with AP, and of course the distance between UT & WA...and you have to figure all the lies and manipulation he probably used on AP. JMO, I believe SP did want to share Susan with JP...and she was to become the "wife" of SP's household. Before Susan came along, imo, Josh was (became) the pseudo wife in caring for the younger siblings, etc. He was SP right hand man in the household thru control and manipulation, and JP would have looked up to his father for validation after the divorce and would have followed along.

SP's plans fell thru when Susan would have no part of it. Perfect set up SP was dreaming....because he wouldn't have to worry about another costly divorce and thought he could control the pair. It would have been another generation under SP's control. How twisted and troubled this man is. I take that back...anyone as controlling as SP isn't a man, he's a little frightened child trying unsuccessfully to still become a one. JMO, IMO, etc.

I'm sure it has been asked/answered but how much jail time is the
snake doing?

thx
Goz

SP obviously gets off on feeling like a picked on, wrongly accused, persecuted martyr. I would think the sympathetic approach would be highly successful, if the investigator were given enough time to get SP's trust.

I think it is an effective tool with some criminals but do not feel it will
work w/Steve. This guy is as cold as ice. He has no incentive to talk and
will protect Josh's memory at all costs.
Enable, enable, and enable, even after death.
Goz

OK! I can not find a link,but early on didn't Josh say Susan had abandoned them
because of a boyfriend named "Steve"?
That was probably the only thing he ever said that was true. It wasn't because of some random Steve... It was his dad Steve.
Susan left the family because of her involvement (or lack there of) with a man named Steve. HER FATHER IN LAW! SOMEHOW Steve decided that Susan must go and leave Josh and the boys abandoned. HIS chioce not Susan's!
moo

I think it is an effective tool with some criminals but do not feel it will
work w/Steve. This guy is as cold as ice. He has no incentive to talk and
will protect Josh's memory at all costs.
Enable, enable, and enable, even after death.
Goz

Heck, it has worked with sociopaths (think Gary Ridgway).

He's been sitting in jail for over five months now, so he's gotta be feeling pretty darn bored by now. So little stuff will take on greater importance. Like, oh, say... sharing take-out with the nice officer who just wants to talk and agrees that poor SP has been so abused by his ex-wife. A few cigarettes (can be used to barter with other prisoners in addition to smoking them). Some shared TV time. Even just a book that isn't available in the jail library.

At some point, I think it's possible that SP will figure that Josh is now "disposable" seeing as he's already dead. So why not throw him under the bus, if doing so can get SP some extra favours?

He hasn't gone to trial yet.

Thanks Grainne. What would I do without you?? :)

You actually answered, what I meant was how long has he been in jail. 5 months
taken from the about post.

Thanks
Goz

Heck, it has worked with sociopaths (think Gary Ridgway).

He's been sitting in jail for over five months now, so he's gotta be feeling pretty darn bored by now. So little stuff will take on greater importance. Like, oh, say... sharing take-out with the nice officer who just wants to talk and agrees that poor SP has been so abused by his ex-wife. A few cigarettes (can be used to barter with other prisoners in addition to smoking them). Some shared TV time. Even just a book that isn't available in the jail library.

At some point, I think it's possible that SP will figure that Josh is now "disposable" seeing as he's already dead. So why not throw him under the bus, if doing so can get SP some extra favours?

My hope is some big guy will take him on as his BoyFriend....:please::please:

He's not going to talk. Since he is not charged with anything related to Susan yet, he doesn't have to talk either. No lawyer in their right mind would let him. If LE can come up with some connection to Susan's disappearance they might try to get him to talk again, but I doubt he would, again a lawyer would not let him. Would he tell the truth anyway?

SP may even think he has a bargaining chip if he does know where she is, for a deal, lead us to the remains we will drop x charges or x amount of jail time. Even if he knows something, I doubt anyone is willing to give him a deal, or any kind of deal worthwhile. LE is better off trying to connect him to the crime than dealing with him.

If SP implicates he knows where she is, then LE has all the ammo they need to charge him. Catch 22 for him.

He's not going to talk. Since he is not charged with anything related to Susan yet, he doesn't have to talk either. No lawyer in their right mind would let him. If LE can come up with some connection to Susan's disappearance they might try to get him to talk again, but I doubt he would, again a lawyer would not let him. Would he tell the truth anyway?

SP may even think he has a bargaining chip if he does know where she is, for a deal, lead us to the remains we will drop x charges or x amount of jail time. Even if he knows something, I doubt anyone is willing to give him a deal, or any kind of deal worthwhile. LE is better off trying to connect him to the crime than dealing with him.

If SP implicates he knows where she is, then LE has all the ammo they need to charge him. Catch 22 for him.

BBM

I agree that at this point, it is unlikely any prosecutor would be willing to make a deal with him.

Sadly, not a Catch-22, though.

He's obviously smart enough to use his lawyer, so my bet would be that SP would not make any possibly incriminating statements to LE himself.

What he would most likely do is talk to his lawyer, which is protected under client-attorney privilege. He'd lay out what information he has and his lawyer would figure out how to present enough information to tempt the DA into offering a plea bargain without giving the DA enough information to discover it on his own.

This is called a proffer.

There are rules controlling proffers and the big one is: if either party turns down the deal, no mention of the proffer can ever be made in court. Also, if the proffer and subsequent plea deal are accepted, then that's pretty much the end of the road any further prosecution in connection with that crime, no matter what is later discovered.

The reason a proffer is made through an attorney is because at that point, it's just hearsay and inadmissible in court. The witness cannot be questioned because of client-attorney privilege. So the DA basically has nothing.

If SP's lawyer made a proffer along the lines of "my client may have information gained from his deceased son as to the location of Susan's remains and in return, he wants to spend no more than 20 years in prison" I think the DA would probably go to the Coxes to find out what their wishes are. The decision would not be theirs to make but I'm sure their wishes would play a major part in the decision.

There's a chance that the Coxes are desperate enough to want to recover Susan's remains that they might give the DA their blessing. Twenty years in prison would make SP 81 years old on release (if he lived that long), which would make it unlikely he could commit further crimes (not impossible but unlikely).

OK! I can not find a link,but early on didn't Josh say Susan had abandoned them
because of a boyfriend named "Steve"?
That was probably the only thing he ever said that was true. It wasn't because of some random Steve... It was his dad Steve.
Susan left the family because of her involvement (or lack there of) with a man named Steve. HER FATHER IN LAW! SOMEHOW Steve decided that Susan must go and leave Josh and the boys abandoned. HIS chioce not Susan's!
moo

Well, he said he was referring to the missing man, Steven K., or at least implied it...but who knows what his twisted mind was really doing...JMO

They could probably offer him "use immunity" to get information. Gitana could probably explain what use immunity better than I can. I just know it's not full immunity.

If he does talk, he's going to lay it all on Josh, after all, dead men tell no tales.

They could probably offer him "use immunity" to get information. Gitana could probably explain what use immunity better than I can. I just know it's not full immunity.

If he does talk, he's going to lay it all on Josh, after all, dead men tell no tales.

I'm not gitana or a lawyer, but I think "full immunity" means they can't prosecute you on any matter about which they ask you; "use immunity" means they can still prosecute, but they can't use anything you say against you.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back