NH NH - Tammy Belanger, 8, Exeter, 13 Nov 1984

You guys have to hear this...

Colleen Emily Orsborn

Missing since March 19, 1984 from Daytona Beach, Volusia County, Florida.
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: March 3, 1969
Age at Time of Disappearance: 15 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2; 95 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; hazel eyes. Petite figure.
Dentals: Not available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Orsborn was last seen at her family's Daytona Beach, Florida home on March 19, 1984.
The day she vanished, Colleen missed the school bus and her mother left change so she could take a public bus. Her mom then left for work, but Colleen never got on the bus. It is believed she ditched school to go to the beach.
The only clothes missing from her Butler Avenue home was a pink two-piece bathing suit and flip-flops.
Orsborn was initially thought to be a runaway who was headed towards Titusville, Florida. Police now suspect that she was abducted by serial-killer Christopher Wilder. He was seen in Daytona that day, propositioning "models." Wilder was killed in Colebrook on April 13, 1984, in a struggle with a New Hampshire state trooper.
In February 2001, Orsborn's brother got an anonymous letter postmarked in Manchester, NH from someone who said he had killed the girl, giving some directions to where he supposedly left the body and begging forgiveness. The author said he is dying from cirrhosis of the liver. The author describes an area along the Tomaka River in Daytona Beach where he claims to have dumped the girl’s body and clothes.
Investigators say the author may not be Orsborn’s killer, and instead could have learned of the disappearance by talking to Wilder when Wilder passed through New Hampshire. Still, they are investigating the possibility the letter is for real.

A letter from New Hampshire sent telling this family that he killed the girl.... Girl goes missing from FL, letter comes from NH.

You guys have to hear this...

Colleen Emily Orsborn

Missing since March 19, 1984 from Daytona Beach, Volusia County, Florida.
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: March 3, 1969
Age at Time of Disappearance: 15 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2; 95 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; hazel eyes. Petite figure.
Dentals: Not available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Orsborn was last seen at her family's Daytona Beach, Florida home on March 19, 1984.
The day she vanished, Colleen missed the school bus and her mother left change so she could take a public bus. Her mom then left for work, but Colleen never got on the bus. It is believed she ditched school to go to the beach.
The only clothes missing from her Butler Avenue home was a pink two-piece bathing suit and flip-flops.
Orsborn was initially thought to be a runaway who was headed towards Titusville, Florida. Police now suspect that she was abducted by serial-killer Christopher Wilder. He was seen in Daytona that day, propositioning "models." Wilder was killed in Colebrook on April 13, 1984, in a struggle with a New Hampshire state trooper.
In February 2001, Orsborn's brother got an anonymous letter postmarked in Manchester, NH from someone who said he had killed the girl, giving some directions to where he supposedly left the body and begging forgiveness. The author said he is dying from cirrhosis of the liver. The author describes an area along the Tomaka River in Daytona Beach where he claims to have dumped the girl’s body and clothes.
Investigators say the author may not be Orsborn’s killer, and instead could have learned of the disappearance by talking to Wilder when Wilder passed through New Hampshire. Still, they are investigating the possibility the letter is for real.

A letter from New Hampshire sent telling this family that he killed the girl.... Girl goes missing from FL, letter comes from NH.

That makes a lot of coincidences concerning possible suspects living/passing through NH. Too many coincidences for a small state... could it be that there is more than one killer but that both have somehow lived in NH at one time?

On 30 July 2009, a bill was signed into law in New Hampshire which authorized formation of a Cold Case Squad. Hopefully it will be formed soon and will be looking into Tammy's case.

On 30 July 2009, a bill was signed into law in New Hampshire which authorized formation of a Cold Case Squad. Hopefully it will be formed soon and will be looking into Tammy's case.

NH law enforcement going after 100 cold cases

http://www.fox44now.com/Global/story.asp?S=10813402

the main problem, with many of these cold cases, from the 70s and 80s etc, is without a body at the time convictions were extremely rare, if they occurred at all.
unlike to day. I just hope on some of these cases the cold case squad wont forget about us, the pubhlic trying to help connect and or help slove some of these cases.
my concern, is since there being re investigated, they may not talk to much about a case there working on......
Let us hope not.

Check this out! I just read testimonies from two people at http://nhmissing.blogspot.com/2005/12/tammy-belanger.html regarding this case. There is hope for at least a revelation at some point!

At 10/31/2009 12:29:00 AM, Anonymous said...
Someone who was friends with Victor Wonyetye and hung out with Victor when Tammy Belanger vanished says he was with him when Victor had Tammy in his car. He says he knows what happened to Tammy. The police have talked to him more than once but, to my knowledge, not recently. And the police don't do anything on a regular basis to get this friend of Victor to tell his story. He was living in the Portsmouth area for a long time. They should be able to stay in touch with him and try to get him talking. Maybe he's afraid to talk because Victor will be out in a couple of years plus it would make him an accomplice to her abduction.

Tammy's story should be in the local news at least once a year but it's not. Most people don't want to think about it. It's easier for them to forget. And the police don't like to see it in the news because as one officer said "everybody comes out from under their rocks" when it's in the papers. That's a quote from an officer involved with the case. I guess he doesn't want a lot of leads to follow up on. It must be too much trouble and too much work for him. But if one of those leads panned out it would be worth it.

I don't understand why they don't contact Victor's friend at least once a year and ask him if his memory has improved any since the last time they talked. Or is it harassment to call him and ask to talk?

I think some of the people who are supposed to be working on this case are too comfortable with how things are and want something to fall into their lap. I don't know if anyone is pursuing anything with any passion.

I know who the guy is that says he was with Victor and, as I said, the police know who he is. I hope he lives long enough to do the right thing and tell what he really knows.

The anniversary of Tammy's disappearance is coming up. There should be something in the papers. I hope somebody in the press in the Seacoast area has the decency to tell Tammy's story again and let people know that the only suspect in the case, Victor Wonyetye, will be out in a couple of years. And someone who was buddies with him at the time says he knows what happened.
Bless those who seek the truth.

Here is another.

At 1/06/2010 02:27:00 PM, joshua said...
My name is Joshua W. Murphy, I was born in Exeter NH. in 1981 im 28 years old now i dont remember tammy but i went to lincoln st. school for 1st and 2nd gade i lived on crawford ave, up the road by gillman park, the same man VICTOR WONYETE, and his friend were seen driveing up Auborn st. by the hospital, were i use to live they were watching my neibor Kelly and me. until her dad came outside made us come in and they drove off, i think someone should pay that friend of his a visit until he says something as well as VICTOR W. the child rapist piece of crap, I have always thought about Tammy B. it was my home town and i have a 9 year old daughter who is everything to me. if you read this and want to contact me, im on facebook under bootlegtattoos67@yahoo.com, i would like to know when Victor gets out of prison.... THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS Tammy and her family and all missing childrens family's...

I agree with the anonymous post that the police should contact this friend of Victor Wonyetye's at least once a year, especially since they know that he knows what happened to Tammy. I hope that one day the police or able to get the tesimony from this friend of Wonyetye's, or that he tells the poster of that first comment what he knows so that at some point the truth can come out. I don't see why the police doesn't show a bit more persistence here. If I were them, I would try to work out some sort of plea deal in exchange for his testimony, if not immunity. That would be enough for me to tell what I knew. At least then it could lead to a conviction for Wonyetye, and at least partial justice for Tammy.

Here's another important bit of information from http://missing87975.yuku.com/topic/2572/t/UNSOLVED-CHILD-ABDUCTION-TAMMY-LYN-BELANGER.html

Police: Man Told Inmates He Killed Greenacres Girl

BYLINE: Amy Driscoll, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

DATE: 01-14-1992

PUBLICATION: The Palm Beach Post
EDITION:
SECTION: Newspapers_&_Newswires
PAGE: 1B

Victor Wonyetye confessed to other inmates in a New Hampshire prison that he had abducted, raped and then killed two 8-year-old girls, police testified Monday.

Wonyetye long a suspect in the disappearance of Christy Luna of Greenacres and Tammy Belanger of Exeter, N.H., is on trial for burglary and trespassing charges stemming from a series of peeping Tom incidents in suburban West Palm Beach.

But the focus of the trial, which began Monday with jury selection, has been on the two girls missing since 1984.

Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office detectives and a Greenacres police officer took the stand Monday during pre-trial motions to explain why they began following and videotaping Wonyetye in May. They said they were alerted to his presence in the county by New Hampshire police after "Wonyetye " was released from prison there.

They decided to begin 24-hour surveillance of Wonyetye after interviewing inmates at New Hampshire State Prison, who told them Wonyetye had discussed details of the two girls' deaths.

Greenacres detective Gary Chapin testified that between eight and 12 inmates have supplied information to police that Wonyetye talked about strangling the girls.

Defense attorney Bert Winkler had unsuccessfully argued that the judge should dismiss the case because police had watched Wonyetye for more than three weeks as he allegedly trespassed and committed other crimes without arresting him.

"They just wanted to rack up as many charges as they could, because they couldn't get enough evidence to charge him with the disappearances," Winkler said.

Sheriff's detective Steve Landrum said police decided to arrest Wonyetye on June 4 because they were afraid he was becoming violent.

"We thought he might try to abduct a child," Landrum said. He said they saw him "acting out angry behavior in his car when he was prevented from making contact with small children."

He has been in Palm Beach County Jail since his arrest. Circuit Judge Walter Colbath has refused to set bail because he said he is afraid "Wonyetye, a 48-year-old golf course employee who lives with his mother in suburban Lake Worth, will flee.

Eight to twelve inmates testified more than 17 years ago that Wonyetye admitted to these crimes. It seems he specifically admitted to them that he killed Christy Luna, according to the headline, and he admitted to killing another eight-year-old girl. Tammy was the same age back then. And someone else has said he was in a car with Wonyetye when he had Tammy. Furthermore, the inmates said that Wonyetye raped and strangled these two girls. That goes along, at least partially, with this testimony gives by a woman on the 25th anniversary of Christy Luna's disappearance, at http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2009/05/27/0527coldcase.html

New lead in 25-year-old unsolved case? Woman claims she was there when Greenacres girl attacked

By MICHAEL LaFORGIA

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

GREENACRES — Twenty-five years ago, 8-year-old Christy Luna went for a walk and never came home.

This afternoon, on the anniversary of her disappearance, a woman stepped in front of cameras outside Christy's home and said she heard a man attack the little girl in a park bathroom, where he thrashed her until her screaming stopped.
Photo gallery Photos See more photos

Post your comments on this story below

Share This Story
Y Buzz
del.icio.us

digg
Newsvine

reddit
Technorati

Facebook
Twitter

Fark
More

What are these?

The woman, who wouldn't give her name because she said the man sexually assaulted her before he attacked Christy, said she almost met the same fate.

The woman came forward about two years ago, after seeing Christy's mother, Jennie Johnson, pleading for help on television, said Detective Sgt. Bill Springer, head of the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office cold case squad.

Detectives regarded the woman's account as a possible break in the case. But after quietly pursuing the lead, they have hit a dead end, Springer said.

He decided the woman should tell her story to the media today with hopes that it would jog something loose in the case.

Police and Johnson have always said they believe Christy disappeared May 27, 1984, as she walked the two blocks from her home to Belk's store on Swain Boulevard to buy cat food.

The woman, who says she was a year or two ahead of Christy at Greenacres Elementary School, said she and Christy were attacked in a park a little farther from her home than the store was.

She said she was playing with friends at the park the day before Christy's disappearance when a man came out of the bathroom and told her she had left some money in there. He said she could get it after he was done inside. But she didn't go in that day.

The next day, she said, she and Christy were swinging on the park swings when the same man approached. He said the money was still there, and she should get it when he was finished. She ventured inside and saw coins scattered on the floor. When she bent to pick them up, she heard a noise, turned and saw the man - naked.

She said he hit her on the head with something, and she blacked out. When she came to, he was sexually assaulting her. She blacked out again and woke to the sound of Christy screaming. She heard a loud thud and the screaming stopped. She blacked out again.

The woman met today with the sheriff's office sketch artist, Paul Moody, to draft a composite of her attacker. Springer wouldn't say whether investigators drafted a composite sketch when the woman first came forward, though no sketch ever was circulated publicly.

He also wouldn't say whether they've shown the woman pictures of suspects in the case. No one was ever charged.

As Springer dogs Christy's case, her mother suffers.

"Twenty-five years of pure torture," Johnson said. "Please end my nightmare. Let me find my little girl."

The strangulation was not mentioned here by the woman testifying, but she also blacked out after she said Christy's screaming was silenced. It is a good chance, in my view, that Christy was knocked out by the blow, and then later strangled to death after this woman blacked out. As for Tammy, it is hard to say exactly what happened at this point beyond what Wonyetye himself told inmates and what the person riding with him with he snatched Tammy knows, but in my view, the theory about Tammy's body being placed in a scrap car to be crushed and then shredded seems highly plausable.

As for Colleen Orsborn, as much a sleeze as Victor Wonyetye is, we can rule him out as a suspect in her death. Assuming the letter from NH regarding Colleen in 2001 was telling the truth, Wonyetye was still in prison in Florida at that time. It is believed, however, that if the letter is a hoax, it was likely sent by someone who learned about her death through Christopher Wilder, who has long been the primary suspect in her murder. We will never know for sure if he did it, though, since he committed suicide barely a month after Colleen disappeared. Assuming the author of the letter was being truthful, he or she was dying of a condition that is surely fatal without a transplant, so I believe it is safe to say we will not hear from them again. I agree with Colleen's family, though, that less time should have been spent finding out who wrote the letter, and more time should have been spent searching the area that the letter described, saying Colleen was buried there.

I always seem to come back to this case I really wish that they could get this guy! I just checked the release date for Victor and it says Jan 2011 that is coming right up! I can't believe that they have not come up with some sort of evidence in this day and age to tie him to Tammy and get him off the streets forever I am outraged! IMO in researching this offender's history he will reoffend. Nothing makes me more angry than seeing a child get hurt by an offender who should have never been let back out of prison in the first place.

Now, I just read this blog where it states that Victor had a friend with him when Tammy was present. If this is true there needs to be some pressure on this guy to talk once and for all. If the suspect is about to be out on the streets now is the time he needs to stay in jail where he belongs. Also, if this friend i still local I am terrified seeing he has not done the right thing I must wonder what part he played in the abduction. Could he be a potential risk? I really am an angry hornet right now. If anyone has any ideas or can help guide me I would appreciate it. I think it would be great if I could get some help bringing this cast back into the public eye. I know that NH also recently got a new cold case unit I am hoping they will be looking into this with fresh eyes

It looks like Victor already got returned to prison. I just googled him and found the following website on the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office. Under charges, it said return following court order. Perhaps they've finally found evidence to link him to Tammy or to Christy Luna?

http://www.jailbase.com/en/arrested/fl-pbso/2010-11-08/victor-g-wonyetye-201011080147225

I've been meaning to post a follow-up to this post for a LONG time but I haven't had the chance to do so until now. No, Wonyetye did not get sent back to prison but he did get sentenced to the next-best thing that you can hope for if a disgusting child rapist is released from prison for time served and good behavior credits. Wonyetye is the "victim" of a Florida law that requires a psychological evaluation prior to the release of a sex offender to determine the offender's liklihood of re-offending. The law is called the "Jimmy Ryce Civil Commitment Act". Wonyetye has been found to be a sexual threat and thus has been committed. After reading up on the Jimmy Ryce Act that there is no timetable for release for any person committed to the program and as such as long as psychologists continue to determine that Wonyetye is a threat to society he will continue to be behind bars.
So, the good news is that Wonyetye is not yet on the streets. The bad news is that in all probability Wonyetye will eventually be released. Let's hope that Wonyetye continues to be found as being mentally ill and remains behind bars for the rest of his life and that when he is ready to meet his maker he admits his sins and gives two families the closure they so rightfully deserve. I bet you anything that the Belanger and Luna families could really care less about justice at this point but would instead prefer to have closure regarding where he disposed of the bodies so that they can give their loved ones the proper burial they so justly deserve. I think it would also be much better to provide the families with both closure and justice; but if given the choice between the lesser of two evils I think both families would choose closure.
In NH we generally agree with some informal statements made by those who investigated the case that Tammy's body is likely in a landfill that is in all probability the large landfill in Rochester NH as this is where the majority of all of the trash in the seacoast of NH is disposed of and has been since the early 1970's when most towns capped their local landfills and began sending trash to a centralized landfill run by Waste Management. Confirmation is needed to figure out if Tammy's body is indeed in the landfill. In case you are wondering why the investigators believe that Tammy's body is in the landfill it is because on the day of her disappearance it was "trash day" for a lot of commercial customers in Exeter and the surrounding area. Tammy's body could have been dumped within hours of her disappearance and the dumpster within which her body was disposed was emptied prior to the opportunity to be searched. It was noted in the extensive police reports and notes on the case that in nearly every case that a dumpster was searched it was found to either be empty or nearly empty and it is highly likely that Wonyetye knew that trash pick-up was the same day because the dumpster adjacent to the auto body shop that Wonyetye worked for (but was not present at during the day of the disappearance) was always emptied on that same day.
Unfortunately nobody has any clear idea where Christy Luna's body is located.
With regard to Wonyetye it is my sincere hope that the NH State Police (which now has a cold case unit that is making progress on many cold cases) will re-open this case and will find probable cause between all of the witness statements to at least have Wonyetye stand trial for the allegations against him before the witness statements become non-credible (which a lot have) or the witnesses pass away.
Let's not forget why Wonyetye was in prison to begin with and if he is released I hope that the FDLE sticks to him like glue so they can find parole violations against him and put him back behind bars where he belongs. Sometimes you may have to potentially violate someone's "normal" civil rights in order to protect the lives of others but it is my opinion that you lose all of your civil rights the minute you are convicted of a sex crime against children. The State of Florida has passed some pretty commendable laws to deter sex offenders that are unlike many other states and I applaud them for their proactive nature now if we could only get the rest of the states in the USA to pass similar laws.

I just looked up Victor Wonyetye at the Florida sex offenders website, and it said something I did not want to see. The link is here.

http://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/offender/flyer.do?personNbr=83884

The part I did not want to see is the status - deceased. While that means we can all breathe a sigh of relief that Wonyetye will never again be a threat to children, it also means that the chance of a confession to Tammy's murder has been lost forever. Our only hope now may be that the friend who claims to have been with Victor when he had Tammy with him comes forward and tells what he knows. Now that Victor is gone, he may no longer feel compelled to hide it.

I just looked up Victor Wonyetye at the Florida sex offenders website, and it said something I did not want to see. The link is here.

http://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/offender/flyer.do?personNbr=83884

The part I did not want to see is the status - deceased. While that means we can all breathe a sigh of relief that Wonyetye will never again be a threat to children, it also means that the chance of a confession to Tammy's murder has been lost forever. Our only hope now may be that the friend who claims to have been with Victor when he had Tammy with him comes forward and tells what he knows. Now that Victor is gone, he may no longer feel compelled to hide it.

Wow. What a shame that he never offered the truth before his death. You are right though; maybe his friend will come forward now. Hopefully the fear of being prosecuted for not coming forward all these years won't stop him. How amazing would it be to finally know the truth?

the friend is the only hope it seems-i hope he decides to come forward. he can make a difference easily.

'Devastating' missing girl case is not cold, say police

It's been 29 years since Jim Valiquet was an Exeter police detective assigned to organize a search for fourth grader Tammy Belanger, who vanished while walking to the Lincoln Street School on Nov. 13, 1984.

[snip]

The police chiefs said they're certain then-Exeter auto body worker, and pedophile, Victor G. Wonyetye killed Belanger, as well Christy Luna, an 8-year-old Florida girl.

[snip]

“We're still actively investigating,” he said.

“We believe there are people out there who know about the case,” said Kane. “We're hoping someone will come forward and give us some information.”

“Somebody saw something really important,” said Valiquet. “We're not giving up.”

More: http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20130606-NEWS-130609849

I get so excited when I see that there is a new post for Tammy. I (and many, many others) would love to see this case resolved.

Newbie here from NH! I have always wondered if she may have been sold? Curious if Victor Wonyetye had ties to child *advertiser censored* or trafficking? Florida has a huge presence of trafficking.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back