GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the witness quoted as seeing GH and AH at the self-storage place could be confused about his dates? I could see if they killed Laura on Weds, July 13, then did the horrible acts in the apartment the following morning when Sha Elmer watched the kids for them, and THEN put the ice chests in the storage unit until they left for Texas Sat AM.

But I can't figure how they could have done what they did with the body in time to put the chests in the storage unit before 6PM July 13.

I'm confused about this and still don't have a good understanding of how the storage unit plays into everything. Were the coolers already in the storage unit? Since we don't know exactly what time LA arrived at the Hayes' apartment--either to pick the children up to take them out to eat.....or to bring them home from eating out....the timeline will be a question mark until more info is released. Actually, I don't think she ever left the apartment once she arrived to pick the boys up. I think whatever happened to her happened probably within the first 20 minutes or so of her arrival there.

I don't know if there was enough of her found in the creek for a medical examiner to be able to determine what the actual cause of death was. I am very interested in that too. If enough of her neck was still attached to her head with a broken hyoid bone that would suggest strangulation.
In my next life I do not want to be a medical examiner.

East -- my thought of howdunit was also strangulation since it would be a bit quieter than some alternatives, altho she would fight it strongly seems to me, at least for a minute or so (a bit of noise). If a garrotte was used, that would make it quicker -- and a coat hanger, belt, piece of rope, broomstick at the throat, would always be around any apartment. I also wonder if the skull might show blunt force trauma? Or was she just beaten to death? Stabbing would be very messy and untidy...

Yes, we need to see the autopsy.

I think being a medical examiner would be very interesting in a next life, but there are a lot of bones to study & memorize, comparative anatomy class is a b****, and there's a lot of chemistry labs (not my forte -- I was an English major!).

East -- my thought of howdunit was also strangulation since it would be a bit quieter than some alternatives, altho she would fight it strongly seems to me, at least for a minute or so (a bit of noise). If a garrotte was used, that would make it quicker -- and a coat hanger, belt, piece of rope, broomstick at the throat, would always be around any apartment. I also wonder if the skull might show blunt force trauma? Or was she just beaten to death? Stabbing would be very messy and untidy...

I think being a medical examiner would be very interesting in a next life, but there are a lot of bones to study & memorize, comparative anatomy class is a b****, and there's a lot of chemistry labs (not my forte -- I was an English major!).

I think you we are thinking along the same lines--that the murder was probably a 'soft' one--strangulation, suffocation, etc. I am still intrigued by the dismemberment--they must have used a hack saw or hand saw and not an electrical saw to avoid making a lot of noise in the apartment complex. Gosh, just thinking about that gives me goosebumps, so gory.
If I'm remembering correctly, the Texas ME was going to do the autopsy? Is that right? I hope there is enough of her left, especially the head/neck area, to determine a cause of death. Not being able to actually determine a cause of death was one of the big hang ups the CA jury had.
My father, brother and grandson were/are engineers, they got the good math and science genes. English was my forte early on (wouldn't know it to hear me talk!) but I ended up in LE with a psych degree. I mostly inherited the farmhand genes from my mom's side of the family :)

The nephew posted at 9:38AM on Saturday, July 16 that "aunt amanda is on her way."

Why would you rent a U-Haul 3+ days before leaving for a trip? If they were not just using it to transport the ice chests, why not load up later and save the expense?

And if the U-Haul was only to transport the 5 ice chests, again, why rent it so far in advance? They didn't leave until Saturday morning, as far as I can tell. Yet they already had the U-Haul before 6PM on Weds., July 13.

I don't know that it has been factually established that they drove a truck, has it? If so, perhaps "truck" really means SUV?

My guess is that they were taking furniture to her sister.

GH told AH to get rope from the storage building's office.

From the same article:

It was not clear if the incident had been planned, he said.
"I don't know if it was planned homicide or just tempers flared," Brady said. "I can't imagine someone being that cold and just uncaring that after the murder they took the steps of dismembering this lady in the matter they did and tossing her in a creek."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7669137.html#ixzz1UlJM4TrB

I went back to the first group of posts in this case and could not for the life of me see the one about the nephew's FB message. On July 25 a poster said the nephew's FB account had been made private. Sorry I couldn't help with the date the nephew indicated his happiness that his aunt was coming for a visit.

Here is the Facebook post by the nephew. I think the moderator must have deleted the last one since it had names in it. They are now blurred out. It was July 16 @ 9:38 am.

Attachments

• Berry 1 copy 2.jpg
    Berry 1 copy 2.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 32
As horrible as this is to think about I believe we might have stumbled onto pre-meditation. GH and AH rented the trailer early. Why? To store LA's body until the trip. I hate to say this but I believe they were keeping her dismembered body "on ice" in the trailer. No smell.

That is why they needed a trailer and that is why they needed it 3 days ahead of time. Body locked in a trailer in the parking lot, ready to go. Probably had furniture blocking the view so when they opened the door no one would see what was in there.

I bet they will find that GH was buying bags of ice during the days before they left for TX.

Originally Posted by JeannieC
Didn't someone say LA and GH's baby girl was taken into custody by DSS?
I could be wrong about that but I think I saw that somewhere.

You may be correct. I am not functioning well/remembering much today with this migraine.

The LEOs had to do something with the kids when they arrested the Purple Hazes, so a call to DSS is usually what they do.... But somehow, I guess, the toddlers are with GH's folks, right? So I would think the baby is as well. Or were they all with LA's daughter? Dunno.

The storage facility has gated access from 6 am - 10 pm per their website. Only the office is open until 6 pm. Maybe GH and AH went more than once that day???

My guess is that they were taking furniture to her sister.

That may very well be correct. Since they had listed their high dollar items on Craigslist they may have been trying to unload the rest of the bigger pieces in anticipation for a quick trip to the Virgin Islands.
The more I think about their Virgin Island plans and the statements GH made in the days prior to LA's death, I am thinking the murder was totally premeditated and they thought they could ditch her remains in TX and leave the country immediately before LA's disappearance was even investigated seriously. I am so totally thrilled that their plans just didn't work out.

sorry to quote myself, but who is Perry Hayes? Was Amanda's last name Perry at some point? ?

I noticed that a couple of news reports early on called Amanda "Perry Hayes". Like Perry was her first name.

Originally Posted by JeannieC
Didn't someone say LA and GH's baby girl was taken into custody by DSS?
I could be wrong about that but I think I saw that somewhere.

The LEOs had to do something with the kids when they arrested the Purple Hazes, so a call to DSS is usually what they do.... But somehow, I guess, the toddlers are with GH's folks, right? So I would think the baby is as well. Or were they all with LA's daughter? Dunno.

In something that I re-read this afternoon the (early) report stated that the Hayes grandparents had all 3 children. Somebody yesterday said she thought the baby had been turned over to child services, so I don't know.

As horrible as this is to think about I believe we might have stumbled onto pre-meditation. GH and AH rented the trailer early. Why? To store LA's body until the trip. I hate to say this but I believe they were keeping her dismembered body "on ice" in the trailer. No smell.

That is why they needed a trailer and that is why they needed it 3 days ahead of time. Body locked in a trailer in the parking lot, ready to go. Probably had furniture blocking the view so when they opened the door no one would see what was in there.

I bet they will find that GH was buying bags of ice during the days before they left for TX.

But why then rent a U-Haul to store the ice chests, when you're already paying for a nearby storage facility? Why not just use the storage unit and save 3 days worth of rental expense for the U-Haul until the day of travel (Sat)? Maybe the unit was already too full of stuff?

But, someone's comment earlier said perhaps they were picking up ice chests from the storage unit. That could be it. Maybe they already owned 2 or 3 chests which were stored in the unit. Then, upon realizing that more were needed, GH purchased additional ice chests.

How the heck did they fit 2 adults, 2 toddlers and a newborn baby in a pickup truck for the 1200 mile drive to TX? Would a space cab fit 3 car seats?

Also, I have absolutely nothing to base this on, but I bet they didn't use a violent method to murder Laura. To me, GH seems like too much of a coward to personally use physical force, and a gun would make too much noise. Also, Laura was bigger than GH and could fight back.

I bet they drugged her...overdosed her on heroin or something like that. No fuss, no muss. She would just stop breathing.

I noticed that a couple of news reports early on called Amanda "Perry Hayes". Like Perry was her first name.

I believe Perry was her last name prior to marrying GH or her maiden name. I've lost track of all her last names and the order.......

I believe Perry was her last name prior to marrying GH or her maiden name. I've lost track of all her last names and the order.......

I think it was one too. The early news reports that referred to her as "Perry Hayes" didn't use a hyphen between the two names and didn't mention the name Amanda at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304