GUILTY OH - Two women & child killed, 13yo abducted, Apple Valley, 10 Nov 2010 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was let go from Fast Eddy's about 3 weeks prior to when the 4 went missing.

Right, but he's stolen before. Who's to say that he didn't steal equipment from the tree climbing company. Just speculation of course.

ETA: I was using "worked" in the past tense in my previous post.

Fast Eddy's Manager Sandy Bird said Hoffman worked part-time for the company's tree division for about three weeks, as a sub-contractor, on a probationary basis. She said Hoffman was let go about three weeks ago because his performance was not up to company standards.
"He was quiet and unassuming," Bird said. "There was nothing to tip us off."
She said the company sends its condolences to the friends and family of the missing persons.
Bird said the company did a local background check on Hoffman, which did not result in any knowledge of serious violations.
She said the company does full-scale FBI background checks on employees in their housecleaning division, because cleaners enter homes. Now, because of Hoffman, the company plans to do FBI background checks on all employees and subcontractors.

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com...ing-suspect-Matthew-Hoffman-had-felony-video-

"A Walmart receipt listing Hoffman's purchase of trash bags, a tarp and other items led to his arrest and the discovery that he was holding Sarah Maynard captive. Authorities have not said where the receipt was found."

http://www.dispatch.com/live/conten...searchers-fan-out-in-knox-county.html?sid=101

The one thing I want to know when all is said and done: how did they know for a fact that she was in his house? Yes, I have posted this question repeatedly - but it was said at the presser two days ago (?) that they knew FOR A FACT that she was there. They hoped the others may be there, too, but they KNEW she was there. A Wal-Mart receipt doesn't tell you that.

Right, but he's stolen before. Who's to say that he didn't steal equipment from the tree climbing company. Just speculation of course.

ETA: I was using "worked" in the past tense in my previous post.

I'm pretty sure that the article that wfgodot posted a few posts up said that he was an experienced tree climber and had his own equipment.

Here's the link from that post:
http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/police-close-ohio-park-near-kidnap-suspects-house

Also,

LE was using a ladder to access the tree. Did the CREEP have a ladder when he placed the bodies there? I guess we don't know those logistics. But if they needed a ladder, wouldn't he? Maybe he's adept at climbing...but with that much weight?

I think this guy has been has been a creeper for a long time. I think his parent's know he's a creeper....killing animals, etc.
He has climbing gear from when he did freelance tree trimming work.

I'm sure she is. So sad. I remember watching an interview with Dahmer's parents where they said they had no idea and that he was a normal child. Then it came out later that there was knowledge of the animal killings....and I remember thinking, Umm....that's not normal. How can they say he was a normal child when they knew he did that to animals?.

Were they trying to portray him as a normal child so as not to feel blame for what he did as an adult? For not seeking some kind of treatment for him? Although I don't think any amount of therapy can help someone like that. And I did feel bad for his father when he was crying and looked helpless. What is a parent to do? Like I said, maybe MH parent's were frightened of him. I would be frightened of my son if he had attempted to kill all those people by burning their homes down. Also, I just don't think MH began his psychotic behavior at the age of 20 and all of a sudden thought of killing people. He most certainly has a juvenile history. Whether we know it or not.

I totally agree. His parents had to of known he was not normal but, I don't know if they ever thought it would be to this degree. After the arson though, it should of been a BIG red flag. However I doubt they could of prevented it.

My son has early onset schizophrenia (as well as other issues) and I'm soo scared that one day I'll be one of "those parents" He's been in therapy for years on meds so many different kinds and nothing helps. The safety net for people and children with assorted types of psychosis just isn't there. What is a parent to do when your child meets all 3 of the serial killer triad and no one will listen.... I can sympathize with these parents...

I hope what I read isn't true. A retired cop (supposedly) posted that you don't get 3 bodies handed to you without taking the death penalty off the table. He said that it's all they had to make a deal with probably. Is this likely true. :furious:

The one thing I want to know when all is said and done: how did they know for a fact that she was in his house? Yes, I have posted this question repeatedly - but it was said at the presser two days ago (?) that they knew FOR A FACT that she was there. They hoped the others may be there, too, but they KNEW she was there. A Wal-Mart receipt doesn't tell you that.

But video surveilance of her and him somewhere might..

Oh how sad. My thoughts are with this young girl. I pray that she did not witness her familys death. I can not even imagine what she is going through at this moment.

My son has early onset schizophrenia (as well as other issues) and I'm soo scared that one day I'll be one of "those parents" He's been in therapy for years on meds so many different kinds and nothing helps. The safety net for people and children with assorted types of psychosis just isn't there. What is a parent to do when your child meets all 3 of the serial killer triad and no one will listen.... I can sympathize with these parents...

(((hugs)))

Thanks for sharing. This is my line work, and let me reassure you: there are alot of people with schizophrenia who do not end up being serial killers. And if you think your child is headed that way, there is help for him. Don't stop looking for it....

Within the last month, Hoffman worked nine days for Fast Eddy's, a landscaping and tree trimming service just outside Mount Vernon.

"He was quiet, unassuming, polite, clean-shaven, nothing that would make you say, 'Ew,"' said Sandy Burd, the office manager for the business.

He was not a full-fledged employee but a part-time subcontractor, helping out after a supervisor broke his hand.

But it didn't work out, said Fast Eddy's owner, Eddy Stewart. It became clear that Hoffman did not know as much about tree trimming as he had implied, and "he made (the supervisor) feel uncomfortable," Stewart said.

The business owner indicated he now was glad Hoffman had been let go.
"What if we did hire this guy and a year down the road he chose one of us as one of his victims? That's just horrifying to think about," Stewart said.

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2010/nov/17/19/community-consumed-search-missing-family-ar-293990/

(((hugs)))

Thanks for sharing. This is my line work, and let me reassure you: there are alot of people with schizophrenia who do not end up being serial killers. And if you think your child is headed that way, there is help for him. Don't stop looking for it....
Thank you, I will never give up :)

I hope what I read isn't true. A retired cop (supposedly) posted that you don't get 3 bodies handed to you without taking the death penalty off the table. He said that it's all they had to make a deal with probably. Is this likely true. :furious:

That's what saved that freak John Gardner, who murdered Chelsea King and Amber Dubois.

Soul, I have to believe that is the case...from what SM would have been able to testify to directly, combined with the circumstantial evidence of the tarps and trash bags purchased, combined with the blood in the home and the fact that there had been no bank or cell phone activity or any sightings of the missing, I think even without the bodies there may have been enough for a successful prosecution. Given what SM's testimony likely will be/would have been I can't imagine a plausible defense theory as to someone else being responsible. The only possible defense would be one of insanity, but given the amount of thought and effort that went into the moving of vehicles, and the hiding of the bodies, I don't think it would have held up anyway. Even if he is clinically mentally ill, it sounds like from a legal perspective he was aware of what he was doing, that it was wrong, and that he went to great lengths to conceal his crimes.

I am sick. How can a human do this to fellow humans? R.I.P Kody,Stephanie. and Tina. Tanner...I hope you are ok somewhere...if not...I only hope you bit that SOB. Sarah, You are a brave girl.

MH, I hope u burn in HE$$.

Well, I really don't think they ever would have found them on their own.. given the obscure place they were hidden :( :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong