TN - Chris Newsom, 23, & Channon Christian, 21, murdered, Knoxville, 6 Jan 2007 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Horrendous!
I saw the photo as well. It seemed as if all the air was sucked out of the room.

I'm having a hard time figuring out defense stradegy. They don't appear to be disputing anything. Maybe their only goal is to appeal to the jury at sentencing to get LWOP instead of death. IIRC, this defendant plead guilty to rape but claims he didn't murder anyone. However, Tennessee has a Felony Murder Rule, which means all the defendants involved in a crime at the time a death occurs is as responsible as the murderer. So this defendant is just as responsible as whoever killed the victims.

Cobbins's defense is admitting only what they feel they have to. The DNA will bear out that he raped Channon. The ballistics I feel will bear out his gun was used to kill Chris Newsom. His defense team has tried to block mitochondrial DNA, since he and Lemaricus are half brothers and made a limine motion to have the ballistics thrown out.
Blaming it all on Lemaricus and Boyd. They do need to charge Boyd with carjacking, rape, torture and murder right along with these other individuals. We know he was the only one who had a car, his cousin's.

Gary Christian, Channon's father is on the stand.

He breaks my heart. His anguish is palpable.
Clipboard01-2.jpg

Horrendous!
I saw the photo as well. It seemed as if all the air was sucked out of the room.

I think I felt like the air was sucked out of my house. It was so sudden with no warning.

I've been staining a deck and missed the end of Gary and the K-9 handlers testimony. Did I miss anything important? TIA.

I think I felt like the air was sucked out of my house. It was so sudden with no warning.

I've been staining a deck and missed the end of Gary and the K-9 handlers hearing. Did I miss anything important? TIA.

Scott Greene on cross with K-9 handler asked if dogs were trained to also signal smell of humans. My guess is, in his vague questioning, he will try and poke holes in the K-9 signaling on the gas.

I believe the most telling testimony came from Xavier, Leroy and I think Jerome A. Between the three came a time when four males were seen in the 4-runner and timed the three pops coming from the train tracks.

I was not prepared for the photo of Chris Newsome. The railroad guy who discovered him said he wanted to be away from there, that it felt evil.

The three witnesses to the three pops heard looked really comfortable on the stand and seemed proud to be there. What do you make of the difference between the one testimony of hearing the pops at 1:45am and the other hearing them at 5ish am? Chris was shot three times right? I'm coming into this story late and probably have alot of facts wrong.

I don't know if the defense is just trying to save Cobbins from DP, or if they are waiting to attack the DNA.
I also don't get the 12:30 AM phone call to her dad.

The three witnesses to the three pops heard looked really comfortable on the stand and seemed proud to be there. What do you make of the difference between the one testimony of hearing the pops at 1:45am and the other hearing them at 5ish am? Chris was shot three times right? I'm coming into this story late and probably have alot of facts wrong.

Chris was shot three times and I can't speculate on the 5ish pops, except that I thought I heard that bullet holes were found in the floor of Davidson's bedroom. Like you, I was in and out a bit today.

I don't know if the defense is just trying to save Cobbins from DP, or if they are waiting to attack the DNA.
I also don't get the 12:30 AM phone call to her dad.

ITA about that phone call. It appears the carjacking went down between 9-10pm. Maybe Channon kept saying her parents would be looking for her and they let her call? IDK.

ITA about that phone call. It appears the carjacking went down between 9-10pm. Maybe Channon kept saying her parents would be looking for her and they let her call? IDK.

Yeah, I'm at a loss on this one...

I went back through some older articles and found that Chris left the halls party at around 9 to go pick up Channon. That's about a 30 minute drive. I seem to recall that they also went to grab a bite to eat. And that they both were in Kara's apartment for awhile watching a movie. Perhaps 12:30 isn't so late after all. I just need to find these other articles and post the links.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/apr/13/questions-linger-in-pairs-deaths/

Newsom left sometime around 9 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 6, 2007, to pick up Christian. Christian phoned her dad at 12:30 a.m. Childress said Gary Christian told authorities she sounded normal.

Waste Connections of Tennessee employee Xavier Jenkins would see Christian's 4 Runner outside Davidson's house on Chipman Street sometime after 12:30 a.m. and before 2 a.m.

Freeman called Davidson at 3:51 a.m.

"It didn't sound like Slim," Freeman testified last week. "He said, 'It's me, baby girl.' That's when I knew it was Slim, 'cause that's what he called me. I said, 'You don't sound like yourself.' He was breathing kind of heavy. His voice sounded really strained."

At 7:45 a.m. R&T Castings employee Roy Thurman saw smoke coming from railroad tracks near the Chipman Street house.

Oh, and during the Boyd trial, it came out that furniture is an urban slang for pot.

I tried but couldn't watch the coverage this afternoon
I live abt thirty minutes from Knoxville and this crime has been in the news since it happened. I just couldn't follow it in depth because it was just so heartwrenching that this couple was so brutally, cruelly, and relentlessly killed. I have NO problem with giving them all the death penalty since their DNA was found on both victims.
These guys are gonna be real popular in prison. I have a feelin' they will be given the same "attention" that was given to both Channon and Chris.

I tried but couldn't watch the coverage this afternoon
I live abt thirty minutes from Knoxville and this crime has been in the news since it happened. I just couldn't follow it in depth because it was just so heartwrenching that this couple was so brutally, cruelly, and relentlessly killed. I have NO problem with giving them all the death penalty since their DNA was found on both victims.
These guys are gonna be real popular in prison. I have a feelin' they will be given the same "attention" that was given to both Channon and Chris.

I was lucky enough to talk with reporter Jamie and she told me about Daphne's car that Davidson and crew ran into the ground, so they needed a car. Enter Eric Boyd in his cousin's car. So that is who drove them to the WR apartments. Boyd was there. He will be charged. O also see that Cobbins and Boyd went on a spree of their own. Sounds like Davidson wasn't the ringleader. Sounds like Boyd may have been.

I was lucky enough to talk with reporter Jamie and she told me about Daphne's car that Davidson and crew ran into the ground, so they needed a car. Enter Eric Boyd in his cousin's car. So that is who drove them to the WR apartments. Boyd was there. He will be charged. O also see that Cobbins and Boyd went on a spree of their own. Sounds like Davidson wasn't the ringleader. Sounds like Boyd may have been.
Hi Lance,
Do you happen to know if Davidson and Daphne suspected their phone calls were being taped?

I'm just amazed at what I just read in the rape counts, and the interview with Vanessa.

They raped this young man before killing him.

that Vanessa girl sat in that house while they torchured this young lady and then stuffed her in a trash can to suffocate to death.

Vanessa deserves the death penalty also. She could've saved this girl.. I also believe she is more invovled than she says.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong