4th graders who flunk reading in Idaho town have faces marked

sorrell skye

Former Member
Reaction score
DECLO, Idaho (AP) - A fourth-grade teacher in southern Idaho is being criticized after having her students use permanent markers to draw on the faces of classmates who failed to meet reading goals.

Some parents and administrators say the punishments given to nine students in Summer Larsen's class were inappropriate and left the children feeling shamed.

Cindy Hurst said recently her 10-year-old son came home from school Nov. 5 with his entire face - including his eyelids - scribbled on with green, red and purple markers.

"He was humiliated, he hung his head and wanted to go wash his face," Hurst told The Times-News of Twin Falls. "He knows he's a slow reader. Now he thinks he should be punished for it."

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...42899195681":"og.recommends"}&action_ref_map=[]

Some folks should NOT be educators!

What?

I must be reading this wrong!

As a parent, is THIS the only way your child's teacher can get your attention?

wtf?

This teacher actually had her students draw unflattering grade infrormation on their classmates faces in permanent marker? Seriously?

When we are battling bullies and bullying in schools, by peers? Really?

What?

I must be reading this wrong!

The "slower" readers of the 4th grade class had their faces marked with pen, as a method of humiliating them for not performing on par with the "faster" readers of the 4th grade class.

Shaming a student for not reading "faster" is wrong on so many levels. Reading should be an enriching, joyous experience, as opposed to a humiliating experience.

If anything, I think the teacher should be "marked" for not teaching those students better. MOO

Oh god that brings back memories of me being the only one who "failed" the times table flash cards thing in 3rd grade. Everyone one else got ice cream. I didn't. Best Part, I was in special education somewhat, and had an IEP because of my struggles.

That teacher should be fired. What a pathetic move. :furious:

That just hurts my heart and makes me angry. :furious:
She should be made to walk around school with her face marked up for being a bully and see how it makes her feel. And fired never to teach again.

I like that idea. Make her walk around all day with the words BAD teacher scrawled across her face in permanent marker.

Bullying obviously isn't just a kid thing. There is something fundamentally wrong with any adult that would think marking up a child's face as punishment for being a slow reader is appropriate. That woman has no business being even around children, teaching them? Absolutely frightening!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And some parents thought it was ok. Of course they were the parents of kids who passed the test.

From the link in the first post

Some parents were supportive, however. Karla Christensen, whose daughter met Larsen's reading goals, said the teacher was just trying to motivate students.

When I was in third grade, I attended an alternative school where we went to the building three days a week and were homeschooled the other two days. One of the punishments at this school was that if you were the lowest tester on their once monthly standardized test, you were the trash can. Your punishment was to sit outside the lunch room every day for a week and hold the trash can in your lap (big plastic grey thing that smelled like death and weighed about a thousand pounds). Of course, most of the bigger kids would miss the trash can, and you were not allowed to stand up until everyone had deposited their trash. Then you could get up, wipe yourself off as best you could, to get your detention note because now you were dirty and smelled and that got you detention, and then you could return to class, where the teacher would usually loud point out how horrible you looked and how bad you smelled.

These things, be it being covered in trash, colored on with marker, or even singled out harshly by a teacher in front of peers, do not motivate kids. They make them withdrawn, depressed and fearful of doing wrong, but it does not make them motivated. Says the girl that dropped out in the tenth grade, and didn't get her GED until days before her second child was born.

And some parents thought it was ok. Of course they were the parents of kids who passed the test.

From the link in the first post

Some parents were supportive, however. Karla Christensen, whose daughter met Larsen's reading goals, said the teacher was just trying to motivate students.

And now we know why children are so rotten and mean to each other! They learn from their parents.

my youngest daughter has dyslexia. her teacher in 1st grade use to call her stupid, lazy and among other names. the teacher didn't last long ;) . i fought with her school because i had been reading up on dyslexia as part of finding out why she was having trouble with reading, spelling and writing. i KNEW it wasn't from being lazy or not trying or stupidity. the school wouldn't do anything because of notes the 1st teacher added to my daughter's file. it took me til she was in 2nd grade to finally have a teacher that saw what i saw. i went into the first parent/teacher meeting with "hi my name is athy, i'm nicole's mom. i think she has dyslexia and i want her tested." lol the teacher shook my hand and was like oh thank god, i was trying to figure out how to suggest this without alarming you! lol

i hate teachers like this one in the article that bully kids. i had one that bullied me in 5th grade. it got so bad i would literally pass out whenever i got to the doorway of the classroom. to tell you how bad. the other kids in the room were sticking up for me!! one went to the principal!! he stood outside the room one day where no one could see him and listened to how she treated me. :) she didn't last long either.

DECLO, Idaho (AP) - A fourth-grade teacher in southern Idaho is being criticized after having her students use permanent markers to draw on the faces of classmates who failed to meet reading goals.

Some parents and administrators say the punishments given to nine students in Summer Larsen's class were inappropriate and left the children feeling shamed.

Cindy Hurst said recently her 10-year-old son came home from school Nov. 5 with his entire face - including his eyelids - scribbled on with green, red and purple markers.

"He was humiliated, he hung his head and wanted to go wash his face," Hurst told The Times-News of Twin Falls. "He knows he's a slow reader. Now he thinks he should be punished for it."

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...42899195681":"og.recommends"}&action_ref_map=[]

Some folks should NOT be educators!

Wow, and she's a teacher? I thought teachers were supposed to be caring, kind, patient and tolerant. I say she needs to be fired.

Like the dunce cap, except you could take that off and be done with it. It's a perverse desire to shame someone like that, imo.

In second or third grade, we had a costume box that the teacher would withdraw "the ugly dress" (think Whatever Happened to Baby Jane style chiffon) and make you wear it for a period of time while standing at the front of the room. Her mistake? She had her back to said child (often me :genie: ) and "the ugly dress" antics were legendary tales of hilarity around the school.

Is Idaho keen on draconian teachers? I guess we'll see...

:Banane23:

Okay, I've been sitting on my hands for awhile in order to not get a TO (and I still may, but) - but if ANYONE MARKS ON MY KID, I'm gonna MARK ON them (speaking about an "ADULT" here)...

Really, is this REALLY going on? Where are the rational people? I am STUNNED...

This is just stunningly awful and I say that as a former teacher. There is no excuse for this pathetic teacher. She clearly has a mean, bullying streak and obviously does NOT like her students. She should never be allowed to teach children again.

Okay, I've been sitting on my hands for awhile in order to not get a TO (and I still may, but) - but if ANYONE MARKS ON MY KID, I'm gonna MARK ON them (speaking about an "ADULT" here)...

Really, is this REALLY going on? Where are the rational people? I am STUNNED...

You and me both!

Bullying by teachers is the reason I never sent my kid to public school. My son was fortunate to have attended a fantastic private school until budget constraints forced it to close. He went to another private school where bullying by teachers was the norm! I could tell stories far worse than the one in the OP! He's homeschooled now and he's hooked up with a few online college classes and a wonderful homeschool co-op!

It was either homeschool or I'd be in prison!!!!! I'm Dead Serious!

Me too, LNJ - my DS was in private school (wonderful, btw) until we couldn't afford it any more and had to put him in public school. I have taught him to fly under the radar and just STUDY and graduate. I have told him life begins AFTER high school...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back