CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - # 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was it the IS thread? Why?

Yes and someone just asked about this case and was told it was deleted per request of the family because of too much personal info and family fights on public forum. Then someone posted that they remember a daughter(s) were posting there and giving out a lot of personal info.

This story breaks my heart and makes me worry!!

My Dad passed away June of '08. He and my mom were married for almost 50 years and she was really lonely in the months after he died. I knew that she was married before, at 16, but it was something that she never spoke of ... and if asked would not elaborate except to say that she they were just too young. So, I was quite surprised when, last April, she told me that she had been in touch with her first husband. They immediately fell back in love and behave like teenagers. I went to meet him this past July and he gave her a "promise ring!" It took me a little while to come to terms with the whole thing but I just want her to be happy. I don't think that his daughter is quite as accepting and I have picked up on some real passive aggressive tendencies toward my Mom. For example, she went on my Facebook and printed a photo that I had posted of my Mom and Dad on their wedding day then gave it to her Dad!! Why would anyone do that???? Mom, who is a very young 70 and Jack, a very old 72, feel that there is no time to waste and want to get down to the business of being happy. They are planning to be married next month, and she will be moving 3 states away!! When I heard about this story I just got chills in a bad way. I have had a gut feeling that in my Mom's case, his daughter is concerned that my Mom is a gold-digger, which is ridiculous, as she has her own money. I don't want to think the worst for Bob, I just know that one of the most powerful motivators in this life is money!!! Today, I pray for Fontelle and Bob as I do for my Mom and Jack that true love will conquer all!

I just found this on the front page of the LA Times.

A love story turned mystery

After 60 years apart, a couple reunite and wed. But their time together is suddenly, inexplicably, cut short.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-disappeared3-2010feb03,0,3066456.story

The day before he disappeared, his daughters -- Paula Borcher, Roberta Brady and Julie Michaels -- went to his home in Placentia. The four argued about money, police say.

Th red flag, as usual. So many of these "disappearances' or murders are all about money! It's right there in front of us, somehow we just need to find Mr. Harrod's body.

New article in OC Register
Feb 3, 2010
Few leads in vanished millionaire case

[snipped]
Bob Harrod's newlywed wife, Fontelle Harrod, said late last year that police were giving polygraph tests to family members and those close to Bob Harrod.

[snipped]
Loomis confirmed that police were using a lie-detector test, but would not disclose publicly the results or to whom the tests would be administered.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/harrod-232302-bob-police.html

New article in OC Register
Feb 3, 2010
Few leads in vanished millionaire case

[snipped]
Bob Harrod's newlywed wife, Fontelle Harrod, said late last year that police were giving polygraph tests to family members and those close to Bob Harrod.

[snipped]
Loomis confirmed that police were using a lie-detector test, but would not disclose publicly the results or to whom the tests would be administered.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/harrod-232302-bob-police.html

Interesting...........I remember one of the daughters posted on another forum that she would take a lie detector test. I wonder if anyone refused.

Wow - that L.A. Times article doesn't really paint the daughters in the best possible light.

I sure would hate to think he was murdered for his money. But....

I updated the timeline with the new info from the LA Times article. For focus, I'm just including a few days before he went missing and after.

Sat, July 25, 2009

• Bob Harrod last seen by a neighbor or neighbors.
Sun, July 26, 2009

• Afternoon – Bob’s 3 daughters went to his house. They argued over finances.
  • According to Fontelle, Bob said his daughters became upset when he told them he planned to include his new wife in the estate. (Note that Bob must have told Fontelle this when they spoke later that evening.)
  • Per daughter PB, “There was a family meeting on Sunday, it was heated at times, there were NO threats and we all left on good terms.” (ref IS and since removed)
  • His daughter RB said her father lost his temper. She said he had failed to provide copies of their mother's will, which he was obligated to do because of the financial mechanisms set up by the estate. "It wasn't a heated meeting," she said in a phone interview. "Dad got heated. He's very selfish, very conditional. The day before he went missing in the afternoon, he was going to provide us copies of the will, and we went over to get the copies. He didn't have them."
  • Evening - Fontelle last spoke to Bob by phone while she was in MO. (Note: MO time zone is 2 hours ahead of California.)
  • ~8:00PM – Sunset in CA
Mon, July 27, 2009

• Weather: Low temp: 68.5 F, high temp: 91.4 F, avg: 78.2 F; precipitation: 0.0
  • ~6:00AM – Sunrise in CA
  • 9:30AM – Bob’s son-in-law JM arrives at Bob’s house.
  • 10:00AM – Per officials, there was a phone call to Bob, which is the last time anyone other than SIL JM verified he was at the house. (Note: was this the housekeeper?)
  • Morning/Time? - Bob talked to the housekeeper on the phone and told her to come.
  • Morning/Time? – Hearsay: SIL JM went to CVS Pharmacy in Placentia. He purchased soda and paper plates. We don’t know whether he stopped at CVS on the way to Bob’s before 9:30AM, or whether he left Bob’s house in the AM, went to CVS, then returned to Bob’s house. (Note: There is a CVS Pharmacy on East Yorba Linda Boulevard, which is a 5 min drive from Bob’s house.)
  • ~11:00AM-12:00? – Daughter PB says she called her father and heard her BIL say he was going to the hardware store, and her father “responded in a favorable way.” (ref IS and since removed)
  • ~2:40PM – SIL JM left Bob’s house and went to Home Depot.
  • ~2:55PM? – SIL JM arrived at Home Depot. (Note: Unknown which Home Depot JM went to. There is a Home Depot at 601 S Placentia Ave, Fullerton, CA 92831-5199. Distance is only 2.7 miles from Bob’s address in Placentia, about a 6-minute drive. There is another Home Depot located at 2455 E Imperial Hwy, Brea, CA 92821-6114. Distance from Bob’s address in Placentia is 2.8 miles, about a 7-minute drive.)
  • ~3:00PM? – The housekeeper arrived at Bob’s house. The door was locked and nobody answered.
  • 3:04PM – SIL JM paid for purchases at Home Depot (per time stamp of purchase receipt).
  • 3:30PM – SIL JM arrived back at Bob’s house from Home Depot, and the housekeeper was sitting on the porch, waiting to be let in. She told JM the door was locked and nobody was answering, and that Harrod might be taking a nap. JM then went into the house to check, and Harrod was not there. JM told the housekeeper his father-in-law might have gone to visit a neighbor, police say
  • Time? – Housekeeper cleaned and left the house.
  • 6:00PM – SIL JM left the house and headed home to Running Springs.
  • 8:00PM? – Fontelle called Bob’s house but he didn’t answer. She called him every 20 minutes until after midnight, when daughter JM called to say her father was missing.
  • Evening/Night - Harrod's daughter JM, SIL’s wife, called the house, and there was no answer. She called her sisters RB and PB.
  • Evening/Night – Daughter RB called Placentia Police to do a welfare check at the residence. Officers found the house empty.
Tues, July 28, 2009

• After Midnight – Bob’s daughter JM called Fontelle Harrod in Missouri and told her Bob was missing
  • ~12:22AM PDST - Fontelle filed a missing persons report from Missouri with PPD.
  • Daughter JM gave interview to reporter. Said her husband was with her dad at his home the day before, he went to the hardware store alone, and when he came back, her dad was gone. Asked what time, she replied, “We’re thinking maybe 1, noon?”
  • After Bob disappeared, someone -- police won't say who -- told officers he might have regretted the decision to marry. For three days police thought they were dealing with a case of cold feet.
Wed, July 29, 2009

• Fontelle returned to Placentia from MO (as previously scheduled).
  • In response to being contacted by family before Bob went missing, an investigator from OC Social Services showed up at Bob’s house to conduct the second investigation into suspected elder financial abuse. (ref IS and since removed)
http://www.ocregister.com/news/-214111--.html
http://www.ktla.com/videobeta/watch/?watch=ac85bbd7-919c-45df-8bff-de9407f59354&src=front

Thanks for posting this.

So sad to read Bob's words.

Bob must have told Fontelle about the "family meeting" before he vanished. I hate to think of what happened to him.

Poor man never had a chance, IMO.

I updated the timeline with the new info from the LA Times article. For focus, I'm just including a few days before he went missing and after.

Sat, July 25, 2009

• Bob Harrod last seen by a neighbor or neighbors.
Sun, July 26, 2009

• Afternoon – Bob’s 3 daughters went to his house. They argued over finances.
  • According to Fontelle, Bob said his daughters became upset when he told them he planned to include his new wife in the estate. (Note that Bob must have told Fontelle this when they spoke later that evening.)
  • Per daughter PB, “There was a family meeting on Sunday, it was heated at times, there were NO threats and we all left on good terms.” (ref IS and since removed)
  • His daughter RB said her father lost his temper. She said he had failed to provide copies of their mother's will, which he was obligated to do because of the financial mechanisms set up by the estate. "It wasn't a heated meeting," she said in a phone interview. "Dad got heated. He's very selfish, very conditional. The day before he went missing in the afternoon, he was going to provide us copies of the will, and we went over to get the copies. He didn't have them."
  • Evening - Fontelle last spoke to Bob by phone while she was in MO. (Note: MO time zone is 2 hours ahead of California.)
  • ~8:00PM – Sunset in CA
Mon, July 27, 2009

• Weather: Low temp: 68.5 F, high temp: 91.4 F, avg: 78.2 F; precipitation: 0.0
  • ~6:00AM – Sunrise in CA
  • 9:30AM – Bob’s son-in-law JM arrives at Bob’s house.
  • 10:00AM – Per officials, there was a phone call to Bob, which is the last time anyone other than SIL JM verified he was at the house. (Note: was this the housekeeper?)
  • Morning/Time? - Bob talked to the housekeeper on the phone and told her to come.
  • Morning/Time? – Hearsay: SIL JM went to CVS Pharmacy in Placentia. He purchased soda and paper plates. We don’t know whether he stopped at CVS on the way to Bob’s before 9:30AM, or whether he left Bob’s house in the AM, went to CVS, then returned to Bob’s house. (Note: There is a CVS Pharmacy on East Yorba Linda Boulevard, which is a 5 min drive from Bob’s house.)
  • ~11:00AM-12:00? – Daughter PB says she called her father and heard her BIL say he was going to the hardware store, and her father “responded in a favorable way.” (ref IS and since removed)
  • ~2:40PM – SIL JM left Bob’s house and went to Home Depot.
  • ~2:55PM? – SIL JM arrived at Home Depot. (Note: Unknown which Home Depot JM went to. There is a Home Depot at 601 S Placentia Ave, Fullerton, CA 92831-5199. Distance is only 2.7 miles from Bob’s address in Placentia, about a 6-minute drive. There is another Home Depot located at 2455 E Imperial Hwy, Brea, CA 92821-6114. Distance from Bob’s address in Placentia is 2.8 miles, about a 7-minute drive.)
  • ~3:00PM? – The housekeeper arrived at Bob’s house. The door was locked and nobody answered.
  • 3:04PM – SIL JM paid for purchases at Home Depot (per time stamp of purchase receipt).
  • 3:30PM – SIL JM arrived back at Bob’s house from Home Depot, and the housekeeper was sitting on the porch, waiting to be let in. She told JM the door was locked and nobody was answering, and that Harrod might be taking a nap. JM then went into the house to check, and Harrod was not there. JM told the housekeeper his father-in-law might have gone to visit a neighbor, police say
  • Time? – Housekeeper cleaned and left the house.
  • 6:00PM – SIL JM left the house and headed home to Running Springs.
  • 8:00PM? – Fontelle called Bob’s house but he didn’t answer. She called him every 20 minutes until after midnight, when daughter JM called to say her father was missing.
  • Evening/Night - Harrod's daughter JM, SIL’s wife, called the house, and there was no answer. She called her sisters RB and PB.
  • Evening/Night – Daughter RB called Placentia Police to do a welfare check at the residence. Officers found the house empty.
Tues, July 28, 2009

• After Midnight – Bob’s daughter JM called Fontelle Harrod in Missouri and told her Bob was missing
  • ~12:22AM PDST - Fontelle filed a missing persons report from Missouri with PPD.
  • Daughter JM gave interview to reporter. Said her husband was with her dad at his home the day before, he went to the hardware store alone, and when he came back, her dad was gone. Asked what time, she replied, “We’re thinking maybe 1, noon?”
  • After Bob disappeared, someone -- police won't say who -- told officers he might have regretted the decision to marry. For three days police thought they were dealing with a case of cold feet.
Wed, July 29, 2009

• Fontelle returned to Placentia from MO (as previously scheduled).
  • In response to being contacted by family before Bob went missing, an investigator from OC Social Services showed up at Bob’s house to conduct the second investigation into suspected elder financial abuse. (ref IS and since removed)
http://www.ocregister.com/news/-214111--.html
http://www.ktla.com/videobeta/watch/?watch=ac85bbd7-919c-45df-8bff-de9407f59354&src=front

So...........If the son-in-law, Jeff, left the house at 2:40 and the housekeeper arrived at the house around 3:00, that would leave a window of only 20 minutes for Mr. Harrod to disappear.

The son-in-law only has an alibi for 3:04 pm on the day Mr. Harrod went missing. He also made a stop at the CVS earlier in the day.

I hope they all took lie detector tests. It will be telling to find out if any of them refused and/or lawyered-up.

The day before he disappeared, his daughters -- Paula Borcher, Roberta Brady and Julie Michaels -- went to his home in Placentia. The four argued about money, police say.

Th red flag, as usual. So many of these "disappearances' or murders are all about money! It's right there in front of us, somehow we just need to find Mr. Harrod's body.

BBM. I think he might be somewhere in between the Bob's house and the home depot.

"Daughter JM gave interview to reporter. Said her husband was with her dad at his home the day before, he went to the hardware store alone, and when he came back, her dad was gone. Asked what time, she replied, “We’re thinking maybe 1, noon?”

"We're thinking"........She is married to the man that went to the hardware store. Her father is missing.

I have watched Julie in this video dozens of times. Disturbing. They did not even have the time-line straight.

"Daughter JM gave interview to reporter. Said her husband was with her dad at his home the day before, he went to the hardware store alone, and when he came back, her dad was gone. Asked what time, she replied, “We’re thinking maybe 1, noon?”

"We're thinking"........She is married to the man that went to the hardware store. Her father is missing.

I have watched Julie in this video dozens of times. Disturbing. They did not even have the time-line straight.

Well see, that makes me believe they're NOT involved. If they were, they'd have the timeline down to the second. IMO.

Well see, that makes me believe they're NOT involved. If they were, they'd have the timeline down to the second. IMO.

I know what you're saying but watch the video. It is posted on this forum.

She is married to the son-in-law. Supposedly the son-in-law left the house at 2:40 pm and returned at 3:30 pm to find Mr. Harrod missing. Why would the son-in-laws wife, also the daughter of Mr. Harrod, not know the time?

I bet they did not know the housekeeper was coming. Maybe they were never going to say that the son-in-law was there that day. They had to when the housekeeper showed up.

I wonder what was bought at Home Depot.

If it were my Dad, I sure as hell would make sure I knew the details. That she seems to be evasive, leads me to believe she knows something/is involved. MOO.

BBM. I think he might be somewhere in between the Bob's house and the home depot.

Makes you wonder if daughter JM and her husband did landscaping, new construction, or poured a patio. This man is somewhere and I have a feeling he is in the ground. mho

True....or the SIL took Mr. Harrod out of the house earlier, around 12 or 1. SIL put the body in a wooded area then headed back to the house to take a last look around, stopping at the Home Depot on the way. That is when the SIL ran into the waiting housekeeper on the porch.

The three daughters go over to their father's house the night before he disappears. They argue about money. Within days the daughters are filing in court for control of their father's estate.

Additionally, they start posting on a message board trashing their father as a human being. I hope LE has seen those postings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member