GUILTY CA - Boy, 17, for shooting 2 students at Gardena High School, 2011

Have y'all heard what the school system has released?

I'm watching Fox News.

School system claims he dropped the bag and accidental discharge shot three kids, with one bullet.

*shakes head*

Police have not released a statement.

I'm watching Fox News.

School system claims he dropped the bag and accidental discharge shot three kids, with one bullet.

*shakes head*

That seems possible but pretty darn far fetched IYAM.

KTLA is reporting that the teacher who called LE was uncooperative and would not get out of the way and LE threw teacher out of the doorway and up against some lockers.

One student in critical condition after being shot in the head.

I used to live directly across the street from Gardena High...my daughter went to a private christian school less than a block away and her preschool is directly across the street from the high school. Not a safe area at all but when she went there 15 years ago it wasn't that bad. Now...forget it. High gang activity all around the high school. Very sad...I hope everyone pulls through okay.

Sometimes I wonder after a high profile case like Congresswoman Gifford,if there isn't a copycat thing going on. Some person who wants to get all over the news. I guess we will find out soon enough.

The school has their own police but no walk through metal detectors? I've never seen a high school with their own police with cars etc. Lord.

The school has their own police but no walk through metal detectors? I've never seen a high school with their own police with cars etc. Lord.

I haven't either. I've seen/heard of school resource officers or police stopping by schools but never a high school with it's own set of police. Leads me to believe it may not be in the worlds safest area.

Girl was the victim who was shot in the head and in critical condition. She is in surgery now.

Lockdown will end at 1:00. Parents will be able to go on campus then.

I'm watching Fox News.

*shakes head*

Oh boy, another "magic bullet" theory. :rolleyes:

ETA: Update now says one girl was shot in the head, while a boy was grazed by the same bullet. No third victim as earlier reported.

My school district where I live now, doesn't have school police, but they have it in Miami where I used to live (this is one of the many reasons I moved my family from there). And, not all schools down there have metal detectors.

http://police.dadeschools.net/

OK just seems weird to put money into a police force and not spend a few extra bucks on metal detectors. Could this be why the schools always seem to need more money?

IMO, MDCPS is not known as one of the best for effectively spending their $s.

Or even if they didn't have metal detectors but had the school police searching purses and backpacks. But if they did that, probably someone would complain that their rights were being violated.

i went to a public high school where we had our own police on campus but no metal detectors, in fact the school i went to is about half an hour away from this school. the school police were worthless, i got jumped a couple times right outside of the school and told the police both times. the first time, the officer did nothing. the second time i told the officer and he took a report. i ended up being blamed for it because i kicked the person that jumped me in defense so they'd get off of me, but they were spinning it against me. i ended up dropping out of school due to the lack of protection or caring from the school for a year. the principal finally said the people that jumped and threatened me had gone to another school so i could come back safely. i went back for one day and saw all of the same people i was worried about at school and dropped out once again.

FWIW, we raised three of our children in So. OC, Calif., an upper middle class area of S.California. They had their own police at the HS. Not that there was continual problems, but I THINK to make their presence known.

Now I'm in a burb of San Diego and they have officers at the HS and at times at the JrHi, and even at times at the elementary school.

We live in a safe place but I think it's kinda' a thing they're doing now in more populated places,...............having officers show their presence, at the least.

JMHO
fran

PS...I was raised in LA County and am familiar with Gardena. Accidental shooting????? :confused:..fran

If the gun did indeed discharge when the suspect "slammed" his backpack onto his desk, that begs the question: WHY did he have a gun at all? And if it wasn't the first time he'd brought a gun with him onto the campus, WHY did nobody tell school authorities??

OK just seems weird to put money into a police force and not spend a few extra bucks on metal detectors. Could this be why the schools always seem to need more money?

Having worked in a facility where metal detectors were used both upon arrival and on exit from the facility, I can tell you that in order for the metal detectors to be cost efficient and useful at all, there are many factors that must be in place. We could not wear clothing with metal studs. We could not wear jewelry. We could not carry cell phones, we could not carry our purses into the building, etc. No belts with metal buckles! If a metal detector is in use, and every student has to be searched because they've got a metal belt buckle or a metal ruler, it just isn't efficient anymore. If a campus has 1200 students and all 1200 have to be searched daily----do you see where I'm headed? There are officers on most of the school campuses in my area. They are off duty officers who are paid by the school board to be on campus and to be available when needed......I don't know how cost efficient paying off duty officers is, but I do know they have come in quite handy when there have been "incidents" at the local schools.

Or even if they didn't have metal detectors but had the school police searching purses and backpacks. But if they did that, probably someone would complain that their rights were being violated.

I would be the one complaining....LOL! The constitution prohibits the law/government from searching indiscriminately. There MUST be probable cause! I really, really, really treasure my constitutional rights and I am very uneasy when we, as citizens of USA, freely give up our rights.....because they will quickly cease to be rights.

Students in my area must have mesh backpacks which allow the contents to be seen---if someone thinks they see something fishy, well, there is your probable cause!

Mesh backpacks aren't a 100% guarantee that a student will never smuggle a weapon onto campus, but it is an honest attempt to control what comes onto campus without infringing upon the rights of students.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back