UT -Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has any body language experts said anything about how Josh acts?
Head down, eyes? body movements?

I heard a profiler lady on Today show......points right at Josh.

I linked fran's list in post one of this thread (just wanted to let you guys know)

That Pat Brown on The Today Show is really a straight talker. I know that there is an ongoing criminal investigation, but all the pussy-footing around that you usually see in the coverage makes me sick. I just hope it doesn't take 3 years to arrest this scum bag, the way it did in the Michelle Young case.
I want to make one important point, just because there is no legal record of prior domestic abuse does not mean that there was no violence in the home prior to the murder.

Joshua Powell, whose wife disappeared from their West Valley City home more than a week ago, is now refusing investigators' request for another interview, police confirmed Tuesday.
"He has refused to come in for additional questioning. I guess his attorney has advised him against it," West Valley City police Capt. Tom McLachlan said. "This is very disappointing to us and it is not helpful for this missing person investigation at all.
"We will attempt to negotiate through his attorney for another interview, but for now there are no plans for one," he added

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14000824

I hope this isn't like poor Lisa Steibic, never found. At least her husband had a semi-better story, come on Powell.......you could have done a lot better.

I'm sorry, but I simply could not take the stance that Mr. Cox is taking. I guess I just cannot understand. I am just an out with it person. If I thought my son-in-law murdered my daughter and dumped her in absolutely frigid weather, I would be talking to him. I would be telling him to think of his children and just tell the truth. Oh, I know it would not do any good, but I just could not hold it in.

Mr. Cox is a very nice man and my heart absolutely goes out to he and Susan's mother. He seems to be a very humble and good man. Maybe he really is like Mrs. Rocha and simply cannot bear to think Josh has done this, but it seems so obvious to me (and a lot of other people). Mr. Cox has to do whatever he has to do to cope with this tragedy.

I can certainly see the scenario of drugging Susan with sleeping pills and placing her in the bath tub to drown. Or just overdosing her and dumping her before she was dead.

I have seen this type of guy before from having worked with inmates. Josh has this sullen, 'gotta have my way' look about him. He wants to look so stricken, but cannot quite pull it off. He cannot fake real feelings because he has none, IMO.

As NG likes to say: Premeditation can happen in a moment. I think Josh decided to kill Susan that day and just had not fully worked out his plan. LE will get him, tho. May take some time, but Josh is going down for this.

JMO

A new article about the Today Show story:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34428565/ns/today-today_people/

Regarding his daughter’s marriage, Cox told Morales: “I knew they had their ups and downs. It’s my knowledge everything was going well.” He said he’s spoken to his grandchildren, but does not know if they’re staying with their father or with another relative.

BBM. How sad!!!!
Seems like controlling family and maybe some guilty feelings and keeping him at a distance so he won't talk to the kids alone and be an influence. JMO. Very disturbing. Seem like very unwelcoming family JP has. To not support her father or comfort him in any way. Wow - that is terrible.

Vomit stain/smell could hint of a need for medical care, but not for emergency care.

The same goes for urine, and other similar bodily fluid stains/smells... except for blood.

Blood could be the one thing that would hint of an accident serious enough to need immediate hospital attention.

This based on the statement quoted on news reports of someone thinking the stain made some believe there had been an accident serious enough to seek medical assistance.

JMO

I agree. Walking into a home where there is typical activity, one probably wouldn't even think twice about a large wet spot as accidents happen in family life with small children. However with Susan missing, any little thing would draw notice. Knowing she was home alone, would they assume 911 or a friend was called to assist? How did she get medical attention?

TMI: with an adult female living in the home, even a blood stain can have a reason. What about a large fecal stain? Both would give pause.

happened to me too. Had to go back and delete. Maybe a lot of people checking the posts out - slowing process down. LE reads through all these I imagine. JMO

DomCasual, I do know who you are referring to. The Ragsdale family. I thought of them first as well! A bunch of nuts they are! It makes me so angry to see victims parents get yanked around like this.

let us not forget this video interview with the friend who last saw her
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=9029772
(click on interview with powell neighbor)

highlights:
the woman was invited over by SUSAN to work on a crochet project

the two women ate dinner in the living room while working on their project while Josh and the children ate in the kitchen

Josh, per the woman, kept coming back in and talking to them throughout the time Susan was AWAKE.

Because shortly into the time working and eating with her friend she became so tired that she asked her friend if it was okay for her to go lay down on the bed as she was so tired!

after Susan lay down to rest her friend continued to work with 'the yarn' and Josh told the woman that he planned on taking the boys sledding.. but no plans were mentioned of camping... just sledding thus giving an alibi for him to be out of the home while Susan was lying down.

This same woman said that it wasn't until much, much, later that she heard of the camping trip.

Here's my interpretation of the above. Josh laces Susan's food with something, either something to sedate her or kill her. Then he keeps coming in to check on her and the dinner guest because he's watching for the reaction to the drug(s) to begin AND maybe he's also looking to see if Susan is going to admit any kind of marriage problems to this friend.

Then, Susan says she has to go lay down because she's so tired. Now, because he wants the dinner guest to get out of the house before Susan dies, he tells her he's taking the kids sledding. I think he just threw that out on the fly to get this woman up and out of his house before the deed was done.

The "camping trip" developed when he had to get rid of the body.

Snipped and bold added by me.

No kidding!
""West Valley City Police Capt. Tom McLachlan says Josh Powell didn't show up for an interview Monday on the advice of his attorney. McLachlan says that's costing authorities valuable time in the effort to find Powell's wife, Susan."

Yeah, blame the attorney now. Who was to blame the first time you stood them up?

Has any body language experts said anything about how Josh acts?
Head down, eyes? body movements?

I heard a profiler lady on Today show......points right at Josh.

Passion, I've been looking for something like this besides the Today show thing and can't find anything. There are definitely experts out there who have the ability to analyze his movements during his two crappy interviews and offer their opinion. I hope one of them at least blogs about it sometime soon.

I thought of suggesting something to Mark McCLish as I've read a lot of his stuff in the past and he's pretty decent. It's not foolproof, nothing is, but still good info. http://www.statementanalysis.com/

However in this case, he only uttered a few sentences, so I think it would be the body language that's most telling, so someone who specializes in Kinesics would be perfect. I remember someone analyzed one of Scott Peterson's interview and it was really interesting.

Right on. The weather may be bad, but they ought to do something.

I've read in a few articles the phrase "we don't know where to look."

First time I hear such an excuse for not doing a search after a person has gone missing, be that an adult or a child.

I'm sure they can get enough volunteers if authorities publicly ask for them.

OMG - they didn't know where to look for Danielle Van Dam either. She wasn't in the desert, but instead by a tree in Escondio. LE needs to set up massive search groups to find this young lady. I think she's closer to home to throw LE off track.

MOO

Mel

LE can do forensics on the van and tires to see if the dirt, etc matches the alleged camping spot. Other than that, I guess the cell phone pings will give clues. They could trace him if he used a debit/credit card. If they did have money problems, he probably didn't have much cash on him. I wonder if he remembered to reset the trip meter in the van. We reset ours whenever we gas up.

Mel, I agree she needs to be found, but wow, the massive search effort it would take is so overwhelming. I believe someone hear stated that per the info he gave, (Perhaps not reliable) Josh was gone for 17 hours, minimum. That would mean he could have driven as far as 8 hours in any direction and dumped the body somewhere. Until the police can at least get an idea of a direction, I don't know where they'd even start.

Although I think I highly doubt she's south or anywhere near the Pony Express Trails. Unless he's really stupid and wanted to lead them right to her so he really did stash her in the same area he went "camping."

And I completely agree, she sure could be closer to home. Horrible thought, but I wonder how far a person can carry a body in freezing cold and not tire to the point of being unable to continue. He could have parked in a remote area a couple hours away, sedated the kids, left them sleeping in the van, then carried her out as far as he possibly could to conceal her in an old mine or something. If he took several breaks and was dressed warmly enough, I could conceive him taking her quite a ways out from any roads. I SO hope they can get a cell ping or something that will at least give them some idea of which way to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni