Dubbed "Vodka Mom" in scathing Nancy Grace segment, MN woman burns self to death

Seems the child's father did warn her:

"Mr Medrano had warned his wife that she risked suffocating the infant if she slept with him on the couch, according to the St Paul Star Tribune."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...focating-newborn-son-slept.html#ixzz20GidHvZM

Self-immolation seems to me to be an especially painful way out. While I in NO way condone the choices she made that led to her baby's death, I do wonder if she chose that exit as some form of public penance.

Here you go folks-
According to the criminal complaint filed last month, the baby's father came home Nov. 21 to find his wife drunk and sleeping on the couch with the boy and warned her against such behavior. The next morning, Medrano woke her husband, yelling, "JJ, the baby is dead."

OK well charges should have been pending against him too, right? And where did HE come home from??

From the County Attorney-
County Attorney Pete Orput said he was saddened by the news and until now believed Medrano had been seeking the county's help for chemical dependency and parenting counseling. "She chose a permanent solution to a temporary problem," Orput said.

http://m.startribune.com/local/?id=161793165

(I love how the Star Tribune calls Nancy Grace "flame throwing")

Warned her against doing it??? I dont know...head shaking. She was too impaired to be making decisions.

Seems the child's father did warn her:

"Mr Medrano had warned his wife that she risked suffocating the infant if she slept with him on the couch, according to the St Paul Star Tribune."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...focating-newborn-son-slept.html#ixzz20GidHvZM

Self-immolation seems to me to be an especially painful way out. While I in NO way condone the choices she made that led to her baby's death, I do wonder if she chose that exit as some form of public penance.

I wondered that, as well.

Was her husband drinking? If not, as the more "responsible" adult present, I'm suprised more outrage and derision is not thrown his way, because all he did was say, in an off-hand manner, it appears, "uh...you might not want to do that, Hon...", but did nothing to stop it.

OK-now here is some detail that answers a question I asked earlier about source material for Nancy Grace:

Grace said during the show that she had attempted to contact Medrano at her house. She then spoke to a reporter from her show and two officials unfamiliar with the case as she theorized that Medrano had been sleeping on her child for hours. "There was a long period of time that baby's life could have been saved," Grace said.

My interpretation is that she relied on guesswork and sensationalism for the segment. Umm, perhaps that is considered entertainment and this is more consistent with the belief I had regarding the fact checking she does. Or doesnt do.

Basically, it was a hatchet job.

ETA: For those of you who wondered if she even watched the segment

Maria Phillips, Medrano's younger sister, said Medrano was "shaking and couldn't take a breath" as she watched Grace's show. "She got depressed and said life wasn't worth living. She said she couldn't live with herself."

OK-now here is some detail that answers a question I asked earlier about source material for Nancy Grace:

My interpretation is that she relied on guesswork and sensationalism for the segment. Umm, perhaps that is considered entertainment and this is more consistent with the belief I had regarding the fact checking she does. Or doesnt do.

Maria Phillips, Medrano's younger sister, said Medrano was "shaking and couldn't take a breath" as she watched Grace's show. "She got depressed and said life wasn't worth living. She said she couldn't live with herself."

(u/b bm from the believe09's post...don't know how to "include" it)
Straw that broke the camel's back..... (jmo/imo/moo)

She couldn't live with herself because of what she saw on NG? But not because she had drunkenly smothered her baby? So it was the bad publicity that upset her the most?

(u/b bm from the believe09's post...don't know how to "include" it)
Straw that broke the camel's back..... (jmo/imo/moo)

I am not going to lay this on NG. This woman had two DUI's in one month. She was driving drunk, by her own choice. Then she drank a liter of vodka, while caring for her newborn baby. Again, very poor choices, and they were her own choices.

And maybe it would have been more gracious of nancy not to comment upon that poor baby's brutal death. But that is not her way.

She couldn't live with herself because of what she saw on NG? But not because she had drunkenly smothered her baby? So it was the bad publicity that upset her the most?

Not to mention the show was like a month before the suicide.
It's not like she watched it then ran outside and lit herself on fire.

I am not going to lay this on NG. This woman had two DUI's in one month. She was driving drunk, by her own choice. Then she drank a liter of vodka, while caring for her newborn baby. Again, very poor choices, and they were her own choices.

And maybe it would have been more gracious of nancy not to comment upon that poor baby's brutal death. But that is not her way.

And IMO the story needed to be told.

Child abuse/neglect should never be ignored or sugar coated IMO.

Shaking and couldn't catch her breath? That sounds like the 'shakes' to me.

If it took angry words from Nancy Grace, to wake this woman up, then so be it. Up until watching Nancy call her out on it, are we to believe that she was just fine with her child's brutal death?

I am not laying her death at NG's door. I am exploring the role her husband played in the child's death and I am dissecting NG's coverage of the story and what it was based upon.

NG's coverage of the story appeared to be based upon news reports that she/her staff morphed into specific statements about how long the baby was dead and speculation regarding the reported purpling of the baby's body. They dont appear to have spoken to any of the players, including LE.

Husband, according to MSM, returned home and found his drunk wife on the sofa with his 3 week old son. According to his statement he counseled her against this behavior. And then, apparently, what...went to bed? Leaving his drunk wife sleeping on the couch with their infant?

Is that reasonable? So, if we are picking the participants apart to find out their roles and the truth and whether or not NG covered any part of that truth, I am curious as to whether or not charges of neglect were pending for Dad. Because it appears he did not take his son out of harms way.

ETA: Will NG be following up with an equally scathing set of remarks regarding him and regarding her choice of suicide?

I think not....but I guess we will see.

I agree that dad shoulders some major responsibility. Imo, he had to know how heavily she was drinking. She should not have been alone with a newborn.

Sounds like it! The baby died in NOVEMBER 2011...
NG and the possibility of jail time...

"According to CBS Minnesota, the 29-year-old Medrano was charged with two counts of second-degree manslaughter last month in the Nov. 22 death of her son."
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...y-dies-of-self-inflicted-burns-minn-cops-say/

Obviously the woman had "issues"... no one just wakes up one day and drinks a 1/5 of vodka.

The body burns off on average one drink per hour...
At 10:30am her BAC was 0.11 I WONDER WHAT IT WAS AT 3 OR 4 AM?
Sure sounds like she very well may have been teetering around comatose at that time...
I don't know if she had stopped drinking earlier the night and was "sleeping it off" or continued drinking as the sun rose...

It "sounds like" she was "out" from the time the older kids left for school until she woke at 10:30am and found him deceased.

I do sorta wonder what dad was thinking, why he didn't take the baby from her, He did admit she had been "drinking" all weekend...
They had 6 kids! Add to that she was 3 weeks post-partum, I would think they were both already pretty exhausted.

It in no way excuses her actions- IMO

These woman who have babies and then because of their horrible actions and decisions babies die,I have no sympathy for sorry.My heart goes out to the children and babies who should be alive.Sounds like her sister is after a lawsuit IMO.This woman IMO did not want to go to prison and just maybe realized that drinking or not she KILLED her child.Maybe being responsible for her babys death was why she took her life.Maybe I am jaded but I really do not feel bad for the mother at all or any family members who sat idly by and left this drunk with a baby and 5 other children.Nancy Grace is the only one who stands up for our children,she may be harsh but she is all we have.If you cause your childs demise.............Stay the heck away from the talk shows...................WTH is wrong with people today!IMO No way would someone set themselves on fire because of NG! Maybe she was drunk and went up after spilling her booze happens to drunks if she smoked.

Shaking and couldn't catch her breath? That sounds like the 'shakes' to me.

If it took angry words from Nancy Grace, to wake this woman up, then so be it. Up until watching Nancy call her out on it, are we to believe that she was just fine with her child's brutal death?

Medrano’s mother, Yvonne Hill, told Fox 9 News that she was depressed after seeing the show.
“She was trying to build and get by and live with what happened,” Hill said. “When she saw that, it broke her spirit in the worst way.”
Nancy Grace broke her spirit? Losing my infant son would have been enough for me! ~jmo

Interesting to note: charges were filed against the mom PRIOR to the NG show... (but! she was willing to live with what "happened") :banghead:

"the details surrounding her death remain under investigation"
Has it been CONFIRMED it was indeed suicide??? Guess we will know soon!

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-setting-fire-article-1.1111147#ixzz20HBiBFIU
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-setting-fire-article-1.1111147#ixzz20H91T4av

Re: Melinda and Trenton Duckett...

CNN has agreed to make the $200,000 payment to establish the Trenton John Duckett Irrevocable Trust.
The Trenton Duckett Trust will dedicate its money to finding the still-missing child. If he is not found alive by age 13, or is found after his death, the money will go to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

http://blogs.findlaw.com/celebrity_...f-grace-nancy-grace-suicide-suit-settles.html

I hadn't heard this! Based on this IMOO the family just may try and sue NG and or CNN...

In 2006, Florida mother Melinda Duckett appeared on Grace’s show and was questioned as to why she didn’t provide more information in the disappearance of her 2-year-old son, Trenton.
Duckett, 21, later shot herself in the head, and her family claimed it was due, in part, to being humiliated by Grace.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-setting-fire-article-1.1111147#ixzz20H8gqE7M

Well, now Nancy's got 2 deaths on her conscience.

IMO Nancy Grace had nothing to do with either death.Both mothers had killed their own children and just maybe thats why they ended their lives.IMO Vodka mom maybe have been drinking alcohol is very flammable and if she was drinking a bottle of vodka before she killed her baby I can just imagine how much she downed after she killed the baby.I do not understand trying to blame a show,what about the news and sites on the web where I am sure many people were saying how terrible she.Why is it Nancy Grace who gets the blame?It was out before her show.

These woman who have babies and then because of their horrible actions and decisions babies die,I have no sympathy for sorry.My heart goes out to the children and babies who should be alive.Sounds like her sister is after a lawsuit IMO.This woman IMO did not want to go to prison and just maybe realized that drinking or not she KILLED her child.Maybe being responsible for her babys death was why she took her life.Maybe I am jaded but I really do not feel bad for the mother at all or any family members who sat idly by and left this drunk with a baby and 5 other children.Nancy Grace is the only one who stands up for our children,she may be harsh but she is all we have.If you cause your childs demise.............Stay the heck away from the talk shows...................WTH is wrong with people today!IMO No way would someone set themselves on fire because of NG! Maybe she was drunk and went up after spilling her booze happens to drunks if she smoked.
THANK YOU! I thought this too! It sounds like a momentary violent act done TO HER!
The ME should shed some light on the situation! I just can not seeing someone choosing THIS as an "out" ~
I know, I know...
it happens...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain