jaycee private school/garridos letters to mom

kbl8201

Former Member
Reaction score
as postedi in the news section.......
is it a private school tutor or both? im kinda confused.

It sounds like a private tutor to prepare for one day attending college. I doubt she'd be ready for a full on college immersion right off the bat.

It sounds like a private tutor to prepare for one day attending college. I doubt she'd be ready for a full on college immersion right off the bat.

thanks thats what i think too.
i really think she can go far in whatever she chooses to do though

thanks thats what i think too.
i really think she can go far in whatever she chooses to do though

No kidding. You know, normally I'm pretty hardened when it comes to reading about true crime cases. I've read so many books and studied so many cases over the years, that I'm pretty much unaffected by anything. But when I read that Jaycee's daughters not only tested at their appropriate grade level, but actually tested a few years above their grade level (high school senior), that's enough to bring a tear to anyone's eye. Good lord. So Jaycee (with a 5th grade education tops) was actually able to educate these two kids... under these circumstances... to the point where they would actually place into advanced classes? Tell me that isn't heartwarming. You talk about survival under adverse conditions.

There is so much ugliness in this case, but at the same time also so much genuine triumph as well. I hope people on Websleuths aren't overlooking that. Some exceptional people (like Jaycee and the Cal-Berkeley cops) wound up doing some exceptional things. It's amazing. I have never seen a case like this in my life.

No kidding. You know, normally I'm pretty hardened when it comes to reading about true crime cases. I've read so many books and studied so many cases over the years, that I'm pretty much unaffected by anything. But when I read that Jaycee's daughters not only tested at their appropriate grade level, but actually tested a few years above their grade level (high school senior), that's enough to bring a tear to anyone's eye. Good lord. So Jaycee (with a 5th grade education tops) was actually able to educate these two kids... under these circumstances... to the point where they would actually place into advanced classes? Tell me that isn't heartwarming. You talk about survival under adverse conditions.

There is so much ugliness in this case, but at the same time also so much genuine triumph as well. I hope people on Websleuths aren't overlooking that. Some exceptional people (like Jaycee and the Cal-Berkeley cops) wound up doing some exceptional things. It's amazing. I have never seen a case like this in my life.

like i said we tend to focus on the bad. and snipe at each other.
the truth is, jaycee is a magnificent young woman who did incredible things for her girls (and herself) under the most horrible circumstances. and she came thru, and they came thru. and i want nothing but the best for all there futures, and that of there mom, sister ect.

like i said we tend to focus on the bad. and snipe at each other.
the truth is, jaycee is a magnificent young woman who did incredible things for her girls (and herself) under the most horrible circumstances. and she came thru, and they came thru. and i want nothing but the best for all there futures, and that of there mom, sister ect.

i also wonder how high jaycee's iq is if she could teach them that well?

Jaycee is a constant source of amazement! She is beautiful both on the inside and the outside!! How wonderful that her daughters will not face the daunting task of trying to catch up scholastically.

Jaycee is a constant source of amazement! She is beautiful both on the inside and the outside!! How wonderful that her daughters will not face the daunting task of trying to catch up scholastically.

exactly.

I had figured the girls were up to their age level in reading comprehension, but the People article said they are up to their levels in all areas. Amazing. I don't know how in the world she would have been able to teach the math up to grade 9-10, but she must have.

I had figured the girls were up to their age level in reading comprehension, but the People article said they are up to their levels in all areas. Amazing. I don't know how in the world she would have been able to teach the math up to grade 9-10, but she must have.

this is why i wonder what jaycee's iq is :)

I used to teach high school math and science, and I find that very difficult to believe. Most kids who actually have had an education struggle with those subjects, I think it's pushing it to believe that someone with no guidance and no resources has somehow been able to keep on par. Not without at least a curriculum and proper teaching materials to guide them, and there was no sign of anything like that in the house or backyard. Teaching someone something is the most powerfull method of learning yourself (since you have to comprehend the subject matter yourself before you can explain it), but if there was that sort of educational activity going on I would have expected textbooks and other educational material to be littered all over the backyard, and there was nothing at all. In fact there was not much sign of any written materials other than a few notebooks. Reading comprehension, they could get that by practice if they had nothing else to do but read (and there were a fair number of novel style books around), but not other subjects (unless standards in the US are way lower than other countrys), and definitely not more abstract things like math or essay construction (the sorts of things where you have to organize and output information instead of inputting it).

I think perhaps that whoever the People article was citing was being generous and optimistic more than anything else.

Phillip C. Knight Institute maybe?
OK bad joke. Sorry for my dry English humour.

I've been wondering how these reports come out. I've stated in another thread how I was appalled when this started and it was UK journalists who were offering cash for interviews/exclusives. After Manuel G. saw $ bills he wouldn't talk to anybody else. I think that was the Mirror originally so maybe they're still in touch with him and he knows that PG is writing to Patricia G. The thing is he might of said more if cash was kept out of proceedings.
As for how the Times learned what they did I don't know. I seem to remember the first photos of the backyard were taken by Nick Kent from UK. He's freelance but the Times was one of the first to have them.
The Mirror is a tabloid but the Times isn't although it might as well be. I can't seem to tell the difference anymore.
Short of kicking all foreign journos out of the country I don't know how it could be stopped.

I used to teach high school math and science, and I find that very difficult to believe. Most kids who actually have had an education struggle with those subjects, I think it's pushing it to believe that someone with no guidance and no resources has somehow been able to keep on par. Not without at least a curriculum and proper teaching materials to guide them, and there was no sign of anything like that in the house or backyard. Teaching someone something is the most powerfull method of learning yourself (since you have to comprehend the subject matter yourself before you can explain it), but if there was that sort of educational activity going on I would have expected textbooks and other educational material to be littered all over the backyard, and there was nothing at all. In fact there was not much sign of any written materials other than a few notebooks. Reading comprehension, they could get that by practice if they had nothing else to do but read (and there were a fair number of novel style books around), but not other subjects (unless standards in the US are way lower than other countrys), and definitely not more abstract things like math or essay construction (the sorts of things where you have to organize and output information instead of inputting it).

I think perhaps that whoever the People article was citing was being generous and optimistic more than anything else.
ME TOO...I do not believe it at all...never have.
Your words NATAL: "I think it's pushing it to believe that someone with no guidance and no resources has somehow been able to keep on par"

It is only possible in my mind eye for her to have taught them to read and write and do some math...
most likely up to her level of education which at the age of 11 would be about 5th grade.
Her little one is about that age now....but her 15 year old being up to speed is not something I ever believed.
Up to level of their grade??? NOP....No way, no how....Especially not under those circumstances.
I personally believe it has been embellished. For many reasons that I can see in my minds eye.

Several pictures showed what look like boxes of notebooks and textbooks - it's quite probable that PG used his Phillip C. Knight institution to procure home schooling materials. It is also likely that, once her older daughter reached the fifth grade, education became more important to JC, as this was her opportunity to catch up, by tutoring her daughters.

It's still controversial, and I certainly don't want to suggest that PG is anything less than a monster. But it takes a special kind of love for JC to be able to convince her captor to do right by her kids. Maybe in some things she didn't win the battle, but it looks like in many things, like getting enough educational and reading materials, she did.

Several pictures showed what look like boxes of notebooks and textbooks - it's quite probable that PG used his Phillip C. Knight institution to procure home schooling materials. It is also likely that, once her older daughter reached the fifth grade, education became more important to JC, as this was her opportunity to catch up, by tutoring her daughters.

It's still controversial, and I certainly don't want to suggest that PG is anything less than a monster. But it takes a special kind of love for JC to be able to convince her captor to do right by her kids. Maybe in some things she didn't win the battle, but it looks like in many things, like getting enough educational and reading materials, she did.
I respect your theory, but I do not believe it at all.
I have done some teaching in my day too...And no way will I buy that one. Not one text book did we see, not one.

I, too, have wondered how the hell Dugard was able to teach her daughters any math or science (assuming the girls are both up to grade level in all subjects). Trigonometry, calculus, or geometry? How? She only had a 5th grade education and math is not one of those subjects you simply "get" without rigorous instruction, whether by teacher or book. I believe the last thing Garrido wanted was for Dugard to be educated, to help ensure her enslavement (Even if you want to believe otherwise, the man is a dim bulb and wouldn't know what books to get her). So, how could she know what to teach? Maybe she put her foot down when it came to her daughters' education and he allowed her web access to basic educational sources? I'm guessing we won't find out for a while, if ever.

Either way, I sure hope that they get a lot of (hopefully, free) help with their education.

@smgthephilus: First, I must say it's outrageously absurd and inflammatory to claim Garrido has any kind of "love," let alone a "special kind," for Dugard. Notice, uh, he refused let her go and he had her living in absolute filth with her own daughters! So, I'm going to pretend you misspoke on that, which is easier to believe since your sentence doesn't make much sense grammatically. Seriously, the only love Garrido has is for torturing and enslaving women and girls.

Now, if that were true, that Garrido provided educational resources, it wouldn't make him any less of a monster, just someone trying to ensure as much control as possible. He could have easily killed Dugard after raping her as a young girl. Obviously, we know he didn't spare her life out of mercy, but to *extend her misery,* to allow him to play "God." The same underlying desperation to keep Dugard in check would be at work with the girls' education as well.

I, too, have wondered how the hell Dugard was able to teach her daughters any math or science (assuming the girls are both up to grade level in all subjects). Trigonometry, calculus, or geometry? How? She only had a 5th grade education and math is not one of those subjects you simply "get" without rigorous instruction, whether by teacher or book. I believe the last thing Garrido wanted was for Dugard to be educated, to help ensure her enslavement (Even if you want to believe otherwise, the man is a dim bulb and wouldn't know what books to get her). So, how could she know what to teach? Maybe she put her foot down when it came to her daughters' education and he allowed her web access to basic educational sources? I'm guessing we won't find out for a while, if ever.

Either way, I sure hope that they get a lot of (hopefully, free) help with their education.

I believe there are posts somewhere that state there were no books purchased under that School name
he filed for. AND there was not one text book in that hovel.

HER AUNT said: Jaycee did her best to educate the girls herself despite their extraordinary circumstances. she said: "They are educated and bright. It's clear they've been on the internet... and that Jaycee did a great job with the limited resources she had."
I do not hear her saying she was able to get them educational books.

And I do not think they have a web site that teaches these things without books.
OR at the very least a signed up course that one pays for.

NOP I do not believe any of this...No way. I do believe she taught them to read and write and very basic math.
common guys JC does not even know how to use money. She could not have possibly gotten those girls up to speed. But let everyone believe whatever they want.

I, too, have wondered how the hell Dugard was able to teach her daughters any math or science (assuming the girls are both up to grade level in all subjects). Trigonometry, calculus, or geometry? How?

JC's 15 year old daughter would be essentially in 10 grade now, where many students learn basic HS math (non-algebra). College prep students would be in an Algebra or Geometry class. Science curriculum would be something along the lines of Earth Science, with some advanced students in Biology or Chemistry - and many HS students only take the basics in either.

Home schooling curriculum is available up to high school. Some even provide advanced training for college-prep (students would have to take skills exams for college qualification). It is not known how much online access they were provided, but given that JC was able to use the computer in the business, it is likely that she had relatively free access to get any info she wanted. Study guides for these courses are also freely available (in fact, they're available even for advanced upper division math and science topics)

As for textbooks, there are several pictures with boxes of books, including the one with the 'Gardening Made Easy" books scattered about. In the office area are a number of boxes. But textbooks wouldn't be required - only notebooks (and there are several examples of those, too).

There is also a telling sheet in the picture with the furbees on the game controller. There is a printed sheet partially in the picture. The text is mostly obscured but the tital can be partially read:

Att...
College...
Studi...
A powerful gift has by...
name's one that the...
higher learning believes...

It looks like something printed from the internet, though I haven't been able to find it in Google - perhaps it is text provided as part of a curriculum of study.

I think it qualifies as solid evidence that JC was looking into college studies, either for herself or for her daughters.

EDIT: I'm finding evidence online that this page is connected with UNESCO's Open Training Platform, though I haven't found the exact page yet.

http://opentraining.unesco-ci.org/cgi-bin/page.cgi?d=1

JC's 15 year old daughter would be essentially in 10 grade now, where many students learn basic HS math (non-algebra). College prep students would be in an Algebra or Geometry class. Science curriculum would be something along the lines of Earth Science, with some advanced students in Biology or Chemistry - and many HS students only take the basics in either.

Home schooling curriculum is available up to high school. Some even provide advanced training for college-prep (students would have to take skills exams for college qualification). It is not known how much online access they were provided, but given that JC was able to use the computer in the business, it is likely that she had relatively free access to get any info she wanted. Study guides for these courses are also freely available (in fact, they're available even for advanced upper division math and science topics)

As for textbooks, there are several pictures with boxes of books, including the one with the 'Gardening Made Easy" books scattered about. In the office area are a number of boxes. But textbooks wouldn't be required - only notebooks (and there are several examples of those, too).

There is also a telling sheet in the picture with the furbees on the game controller. There is a printed sheet partially in the picture. The text is mostly obscured but the tital can be partially read:

Att...
College...
Studi...
A powerful gift has by...
name's one that the...
higher learning believes...

It looks like something printed from the internet, though I haven't been able to find it in Google - perhaps it is text provided as part of a curriculum of study.

I think it qualifies as solid evidence that JC was looking into college studies, either for herself or for her daughters.

EDIT: I'm finding evidence online that this page is connected with UNESCO's Open Training Platform, though I haven't found the exact page yet.

http://opentraining.unesco-ci.org/cgi-bin/page.cgi?d=1

Fantastic post!!! I really feel that it is very closed minded to assume that Jaycee could NOT provide the basics of education to her daughters. In 5th grade she knew all the math basics, which are the fundamentals for learning higher math.

Even if her daughters skills reached basic math, multiplication and division, or close to pre algebra level that is a lot for her to be commended for. There is a natural curiosity in intelligent or even average intelligence people. Jaycee may have been eager to teach herself math skills to help in the running of the printing business and was then able to pass them on to her daughters. There were orders to be processed, materials to purchase, billing to be done. I can not imagine that pg would stoop to doing such lowly and time consuming tasks. I think he would have shown Jaycee what to do and expected her to then do the work herself.

I am not saying it is wise to have on rose colored glasses, but lets not be in a hurry to judge or condemn either.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back