State v Bradley Cooper 3-18-2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it would have been evidence? And the suggestion is he cleaned it to hide bodily fluids from the murder. So I imagine he would have done something with it while cleaning up the crime scene instead of throwing it in a dirty clothes hamper.

In thinking it through I think that you are right that the dress was already washed at that point. I think he put the other basket on top to try to keep it from being noticed. If it had been identified on Saturday he would have been able to say that he had washed a load of clothes and didn't realize that was the dress she had worn. He did not want it known that the first thing he did on Saturday morning was to wash that dress. My guess. If he's guilty.

I'm missing your point... but I don't know anything about the 'stained and wet' part.

So did he claim to wash it because it was stained and wet from the party?

In Brads depositions he claimed that when he arrived at the party, Nancy was fussing with her dress and trying to clean a stain out of it that resulted from her spilling something on it. He said it was stained and wet. But of the witnesses asked during this trial, none saw either a stain or a wet dress, or any comment by Nancy that she had spilled something on it.

I suspect the stain and wet story is just that, a Brad story.

Any crime lab peeps on the states witness list?

Dunno, I have not really seen a witness list. Someone is going to have to testify about the rape kit and swab samples collected from Nancy's body I would suspect.

In thinking it through I think that you are right that the dress was already washed at that point. I think he put the other basket on top to try to keep it from being noticed. If it had been identified on Saturday he would have been able to say that he had washed a load of clothes and didn't realize that was the dress she had worn. He did not want it known that the first thing he did on Saturday morning was to wash that dress. My guess. If he's guilty.

But why would he care if was seen or found... if he had already washed it?

He didn't mind handing it over after washed anyway.

IIRC, Brad DID produce it for CPD, and it had been washed.

You missed the point. I know he washed it. You asked why he wouldn't throw it in the hamper. If he washed it because there was evidence on it, then he knew it was evidence and wouldn't have just thrown it in the hamper with the other dirty clothes....he would have thrown it in the washer.

Another hypothetical since I am very good at them - what if vomit was found in the jogging bra Nancy was found in or on the underside of the key table in the foyer or even in the vase where the bamboo sticks were located on Friday ?

Then it would be solid evidence to back up the prosecutions theory.

Does anyone else wonder about Butts" testimony about the three marks on the side of her neck ? He said they were insect infested and that insects will infest in areas where the skin has been damaged.

Dunno, I have not really seen a witness list. Someone is going to have to testify about the rape kit and swab samples collected from Nancy's body I would suspect.
Guess it's just one of those things we'll just have to sit tight and see.

But why would he care if was seen or found... if he had already washed it?

He didn't mind handing it over after washed anyway.

I'm trying to think like a guilty person. I wouldn't want to turn it over any sooner than I had to. I would have put it exactly like it was seen. If someone identifies it, it was already washed so hopefully it wouldn't have anything left on it. If they didn't notice, I'd be washing it again! At some point it ended up laying over a chair in the dining room. That's when Diana Duncan noticed it and said, "That's the dress." So at some point it went from the basket to the back of the chair.

Guess it's just one of those things we'll just have to sit tight and see.

Gotta be someone - rape kit, DNA swabs from Nancy, her fingernail clippings and so on. Someone will be up there saying something. Hopefully they aren't undercover :D

I recall from the search warrant inventories, swabs from the cars and don't forget the "green vegetable matter" sample...could it be ?

ETA - one other thing - remember the hair from the wheel well of the car ?

Lots to talk about.

I'm trying to think like a guilty person. I wouldn't want to turn it over any sooner than I had to. I would have put it exactly like it was seen. If someone identifies it, it was already washed so hopefully it wouldn't have anything left on it. If they didn't notice, I'd be washing it again! At some point it ended up laying over a chair in the dining room. That's when Diana Duncan noticed it and said, "That's the dress." So at some point it went from the basket to the back of the chair.

This is where I'm confused. Are we sure it's the same dress in the basket that she wore to the party?

So, it is in the picture on 7/12/08 in the MBR in a basket (clean??).
Then on 7/13 or 7/14, BC gives it to the police, washed.
Also, on 7/14 or 7/15, DD sees it draped over a chair.

Does anyone know which was 1st, BC giving the dress to the CPD or DD seeing the dress? It would seem once BC gave them the dress, it would be taken for evidence. It would also seem that when DD saw the dress, she would immediately alerted the police and then BC would not have opportunity to give it to them as it would have been taken for evidence. Or is DD finding it the reason he handed it over? Or did the CPD not take it for evidence immediately?

I'll go on the record and say that the photo the defense keeps showing of the dress in the basket sure looks a lot more teal green then the dress shown in court. The one shown in court looks like a seafoam green to me. Could be the camera/lighting the photo was taken with/in I guess.

This is where I'm confused. Are we sure it's the same dress in the basket that she wore to the party?

So, it is in the picture on 7/12/08 in the MBR in a basket (clean??).
Then on 7/13 or 7/14, BC gives it to the police, washed.
Also, on 7/14 or 7/15, DD sees it draped over a chair.

Does anyone know which was 1st, BC giving the dress to the CPD or DD seeing the dress? It would seem once BC gave them the dress, it would be taken for evidence. It would also seem that when DD saw the dress, she would immediately alerted the police and then BC would not have opportunity to give it to them as it would have been taken for evidence. Or is DD finding it the reason he handed it over? Or did the CPD not take it for evidence immediately?

The picture of the basket was taken on the 12th, Saturday. Don't know if it was clean but guessing it was since laundry at 6 a.m. seemed to be pretty important.

Donna D. was asked to take the girls to school on Tuesday, the 15th (I think!) I don't know what day Brad gave the dress to CPD but I'm sure it was never given back to him.

With evidence presented SO FAR...I think the prosecution anticipated the defense would zero in on the stomach content. We KNOW she ate/drank a fair amount at the party.We know also that the stomach contents were limited at the time of autopsy. We know that onion was present and that it takes somewhat longer for onion to digest. IMO, the prosecution was covering all bases to suggest vomiting MAY have happened.
And another thing...
IF Nancy went running and was assaulted/strangled by a stranger/boyfriend/bigfoot, WHY were there no ligature marks on her neck? Unless it WAS bigfoot, most people planning an assault usually plan on taking/using a weapon/instrument.
I believe Cummings made a point of asking how long it takes to strangle someone to pass out/die because Brad used his arm instead of a ligature. Might have been a heat of passion assault to begin with in the foyer, but he had MINUTES to change his mind before she died.

To clarify: Anyone lurking on a running trail to ambush someone.

It's my impression that if the onion remained in the stomach, and the other food was gone, then it must have been digested. If she vomited, the onion wouldn't have been left behind. Also, I was wondering if the question about how long it takes to strangle someone was to make the pre-meditation argument. If the ME had said 5 minutes, then the prosecution could argue that the accused had 4.5 minutes to change his mind. I think the ME said that time for stangulation would depend on the individual circumstances, so it wasn't clearly suggested that there for 4.5 minutes to reconsider the decision to murder.

I'll go on the record and say that the photo the defense keeps showing of the dress in the basket sure looks a lot more teal green then the dress shown in court. The one shown in court looks like a seafoam green to me. Could be the camera/lighting the photo was taken with/in I guess.

I saved the picture to my computer and blew it up to 400%. It is dark in that room so it's hard to tell with the color. I couldn't see the black pattern on it but it is kind of blurry at 400%. I would think that CPD or the DA office have access to photo experts that could enhance the picture and tell for sure.

RE the dress:

Brad bought himself time by trying to assert that the dress was black, when he obviously knew exactly which dress it was.

He washed the dress at some point that morning or day. When were the photos taken? Late afternoon of 7/12? He was cleaning and doing laundry all morning long, from at least 7am to when he left to go 'look' for Nancy (around 1pm?). So a minimum of 6 hrs to do laundry, and possibly a couple more hours.

For whatever reason Brad did not want to hand over the dress when asked. Nor did he want anyone to identify the dress that evening when he asked DD to help him look for 'the black dress.'

Brad himself contacted LE to let them know he found the dress...this was the day after they already did the K9 search using the shoe he gave them.

Cummings not only sounds 'slow,' in person I noticed he looks perpetually confused with the slack jaw look on his face, mouth hanging open, the glasses pushed down his nose, and the lack of a firm jawline. Combined with his voice and hesitations, he could put anyone to sleep, confuse anyone, and bore anyone to tears. I think he was a poor choice to present this case.

I was wondering when someone would mention this.

I have friends (and a family member at Ft. Bragg) in North Carolina and love the whole state! BUT, I have run into no one who speaks like this. If I were a juror, I would actually dread listening to this man. I am from the South, and we do not speak this slowly. I keep wanting him to go ahead and spit out what he is trying to say.

I am on the side of the prosecution in that I do believe BC killed Nancy, BUT I am embarrassed for them because of this man. I was especially taken aback this morning when he was questioning the ME. He simply could not seem to put his questions into words that would make it clear.

I tried to watch a pretrial hearing (the one with really bad sound), and tried to follow the line of reasoning and simply could not.

He does seem to make himself seem so woefully unprepared. Someone else really does need to take over, IMO. I am sure he is a very nice man, but I can hardly bear to listen to him.

JMO

I think Brad decided the dress was clean and he was 'ready' to hand it over to LE. So he draped the dress over the chair in the DR, to have to ready to hand off to LE.

Before he actually handed it to LE, DD was over, in the house, and saw the dress on the chair.

That's the assumption I'm going with at this point.

Gotta be someone - rape kit, DNA swabs from Nancy, her fingernail clippings and so on. Someone will be up there saying something. Hopefully they aren't undercover :D

I recall from the search warrant inventories, swabs from the cars and don't forget the "green vegetable matter" sample...could it be ?

ETA - one other thing - remember the hair from the wheel well of the car ?

Lots to talk about.

RC - where was the green vegetable matter - I forgot. In the car or house? Could be guacamole salad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail