17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #27

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering the fact that NBC already fired two people (including a producer) over the 911 tape, I doubt a news agency would do the same thing again and 'doctor' a photo IMO.

That's not a still from the actual footage though. Isn't it that the photo that was altered to supposedly show an enhancement of possible injuries?

That's not a still from the actual footage though. Isn't it that the photo that was altered to supposedly show an enhancement of possible injuries?

As far as I understood it, it was a still from the video, just had the color enhanced. Nothing was 'put' on his head.

I think it reflects someone who has had the world's spotlight on him for the past 45 days, making him out to be enemy number one. Most human beings wouldn't roll with the flow with that kind of attention.

Sorry, Cityslick, I don't get what you're saying...making him out to be enemy #1, is all his doing...I didn't say that in the least....

Would those weird (rapd) eye movements be a reaction to PTSD?

Nevermind, I found it...and wonder if HE found it too....can you tell I'm skeptical...:giggle:

So what exactly is PTSD? It stands for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder develops after an ordeal which involves some form of trauma. The person who develops this disorder may have been harmed or harm may have happened to a loved one, or the person may have witnessed a harmful event which happened to loved ones or strangers.
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder was first brought to public attention in relation to war veterans, but it can result from a variety of traumatic incidents, such as mugging, rape, torture, being kidnapped or held captive, child abuse, car accidents, train wrecks, plane crashes, bombings, or natural disasters such as floods or earthquakes.

Here are the primary symptoms of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder:

- The person is easily startled
- The person experiences emotional numbness (especially in relation to people with whom they used to be close)
- They have a loss of interest in activities they used to enjoy
- They have trouble feeling or acting affectionate
- They experience irritability
- They may become aggressive or even become violent
- They avoid situations which may remind the survivor of the original incident

Most people with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder repeatedly relive the trauma in their thoughts during the day and in nightmares when they sleep. Called flashbacks, they may consist of images, sounds, smells, or feelings, and are often triggered by ordinary occurrences, such as a door slamming or a car backfiring on the street. A person having a flashback may lose touch with reality and believe that the traumatic incident is happening all over again.

These symptoms are worse if the event that triggered them was deliberately initiated by another person, as in a mugging or kidnapping.

Not every traumatized person develops full-blown or even minor PTSD. Symptoms usually begin within 3 months of the incident but occasionally emerge years afterward. They must last more than a month to be considered Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. The course of the illness varies. Some people recover within 6 months, while others have symptoms that last much longer. In some people, the condition becomes chronic.
http://disease.holplus.com/Conditio...ssing-For-Post-Traumatic-Stress-Disorder.html

Yes, for what you have figured out, it does not matter. But from what I learned, custody and an arrest are "usually" the same thing and I would like to explain a bit more.

We discussed this at length during the casey anthony trial. Twice it came up. Once was when the police briefly handcuffed casey and put her in the squad car before letting her out minutes later. Did that constitute an arrest triggering Miranda? The second was when she was being interrogated by LE in the room at Universal studios, which she went to, voluntarily, in a squad car after being handcuffed briefly.

The big issue under Florida law was whether or not she felt she was not free to leave and the mindset of the officers - whether or not they felt she was a suspect. The defense looked at the hard questioning of her and accusations.

All the lawyers on the board were worried. I remember when I first heard the taped interrogation, I kept thinking, "My gosh, when are they going to Mirandize her?" I thought the defense had a good argument and it bothered me.

Ultimately, the state won both arguments, but they were fierce.

In this case, Zimmerman wasn't handcuffed briefly and he did not go to the police station voluntarily. He went in cuffs.

So, if we have a Miranda issue in this case, I think we would have a huge problem because, IMO, the state won narrowly in the Anthony case and in this one, the circumstances are much more clearly an arrest.

But, I think he was Mirandized.

Thanks! Yes, the Miranda context is different and relevant and I've wondered about that, too. The practice here is, generally, to mirandize someone as your "slappin' the cuffs" on. I did not follow the Anthony trial at all. Did the policy have some strategy specific to her that they didn't mirandize her before interrogation? I've read that she's got quite an "interesting" personality. Or were they just that stupid? lol

Sorry, Cityslick, I don't get what you're saying...making him out to be enemy #1, is all his doing...I didn't say that in the least....

Would those weird (rapd) eye movements be a reaction to PTSD?

Nevermind, I found it...and wonder if HE found it too....can you tell I'm skeptical...:giggle:

http://disease.holplus.com/Conditio...ssing-For-Post-Traumatic-Stress-Disorder.html

I cannot even comprehend the amount of stress that GZ is under, despite it him being responsible for it all. I think that could have something to do with his eyes.

Thanks! Yes, the Miranda context is different and relevant and I've wondered about that, too. The practice here is, generally, to mirandize someone as your "slappin' the cuffs" on. I did not follow the Anthony trial at all. Did the policy have some strategy specific to her that they didn't mirandize her before interrogation? I've read that she's got quite an "interesting" personality. Or were they just that stupid? lol

I think the issue I see if if he wasn't mirandized but yet still placed 'under arrest', that's going to be all sorts of trouble for SPD and in turn, the prosecution. You can see in the video they are clearly conversing with him and I get the impression he's talking to them about what happened even there.

It would take volumes to answer that question and would just open a whole 'nother can of worms that would detract from the ongoing discussion of this case, IMO.

The detectives handling that case were FAR from stupid!

MOO

As some one who has never used photoshop, could you please explain what about that pic makes you think it has been photoshopped? Are there signs, or evidence that we should look at that makes you think that? TIA

Looks photoshopped to me..JMHO

As far as I understood it, it was a still from the video, just had the color enhanced. Nothing was 'put' on his head.

Taking a low resolution image and cranking up the contrast and sharpness can reveal details that don't really exist. The marks seen on Zimmerman's head may be real, or they may be artifacts caused by image compression.

Good morning everyone :) Last night I watched Trayvon's parents and his brother on Anderson. What a sweetheart Trayvon's brother is. I have no reason to believe Trayvon was not just like his brother. It brought tears to my eyes to hear Jahvaris speak of Trayvon in the present tense, :-( Sybrina sure does make some beautiful babies :)

After taking a year of constitutional law and a semester of criminal procedure, I know what constitutes an arrest. Criminal charges usually follow an arrest, but not always.

When you are handcuffed, placed in a squad car, taken to the police station and questioned, that is an arrest. There is a ton of case law on this.

However, there have been cases where, under such circumstances, the court deems it not an arrest when it comes to gathering evidence (fruit of the poisonous tree) or throwing out confessions due to Miranda.

<modsnip>Sanford Chief of Police and the city of Sanford; an official explanation is front and center on their web site specifically addressing why he was NOT arrested here: http://www.sanfordfl.gov/index.html.
It clearly states:

Why was George Zimmerman not arrested the night of the shooting?
When the Sanford Police Department arrived at the scene of the incident, Mr.
Zimmerman provided a statement claiming he acted in self defense which at the time was supported by physical evidence and testimony. By Florida Statute, law enforcement was PROHIBITED from making an arrest based on the facts and circumstances they had at the time. Additionally, when any police officer makes an arrest for any reason, the officer MUST swear and affirm that he/she is making the arrest in good faith and with probable cause. If the arrest is done maliciously and in bad faith, the officer and the City may be held liable.

It doesn't say that he wasn't charged, it says that he wasn't ARRESTED. According to this sources, and countless others, he was NOT arrested, and I would presume that Sanford PD has more accurate information on that than just an assumption that handcuffs equal an arrest.

Right side looks like a laceration to me - JMO

If he had lacerations there would be blood but nevertheless those injuries are not conducive with the manner which we were told he sustained them. I can see how he could have been injured in a scuffle but I don't think Trayvon literally attacked him as he has alleged. I can see Trayvon struggling for his life though.

I am not trying to be argumentatitive about this but I am not clear on the meaning of the digital enhancement and whether the technique distorts in some way. If enhancement and coloration is done to reveal a pattern then okay, we are seeing a pattern. I am seeing perpendicular dark marks on the top of his head and red marks to the right. But does that mean that this is now an accurate coloration of what we would have seen in person had we been standing there that night?

This is hard for me to articulate but let me try. Let's say that you have a blurry photo which includes a sign with some gray colored words on a white background and you can't make them out but need to know what they say for some reason. If there's a digital enhancement and they come out stark black on white and you can read them, then that's all you need. But if the actual color of those words has some meaning as well, then you have a distortion because the words were gray in real life.

Do you think the story (stories) GZ told his father and Frank Taffee will be allowed in court? If so, would they be called to testify on the stand, and if so, will the interviews where they conveyed his story to the media be played in court as well. I hope so, because if not, he can get on the stand and say something different and get away with it. My hope is that with these different accounts, and the absurdity of them, that the jury will not believe GZ.

Good morning everyone :) Last night I watched Trayvon's parents and his brother on Anderson. What a sweetheart Trayvon's brother is. I have no reason to believe Trayvon was not just like his brother. It brought tears to my eyes to hear Jahvaris speak of Trayvon in the present tense, :-( Sybrina sure does make some beautiful babies :)

It brought me to tears, Grammie....Jahvaris is so articulate...he talks about Trayvon in present tense is heartbreaking...he looks at it like his brother is away and will be coming back home...sadly, he never will be back home to them in the physical sense..

When my brother was first murdered, I used to wait for him to come through the front door ready for dinner...I once set a place for him at the table..then realized he's not here..It's a hard emotion to overcome, especially such an horrific, tragic loss of a young teen who had his whole life planned out...

I pray they find peace and solace and celebrate Trayvon's short life..

Taking a low resolution image and cranking up the contrast and sharpness can reveal details that don't really exist. The marks seen on Zimmerman's head may be real, or they may be artifacts caused by image compression.

The irony to me though is I didn't hear or read a whole lot of complaints that the video was 'too low of a resolution' to properly show any injuries, it was just assumed he had no injuries.

That's what was said about Judge Perry..and the guilty walked free...:maddening:

This was my first thought, not only did the guilty walk free but as far as I'm concerned Judge Perry did not have control of his court room.

The irony to me though is I didn't hear or read a whole lot of complaints that the video was 'too low of a resolution' to properly show any injuries, it was just assumed he had no injuries.

Well again, how do we know that the video is too low of a resolution to see injuries if they were there? It looks a whole lot better than most security footage.

Well again, how do we know that the video is too low of a resolution to see injuries if they were there? It looks a whole lot better than most security footage.

It was low resolution because you couldn't make out details of the officers in a lot of the frames. There were points where facial features were obscured/blurry. It's even joked that GZ's ear is missing in the enhanced still. That's a product of low resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rainydaze17