Massive Crash on I-75 in Detroit

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
4 killed in massive crash on I-75 in Detroit

NB closed at Schaefer, SB closed at Springwells

Published On: Jan 31 2013 10:00:42 AM EST Updated On: Jan 31 2013 11:17:31 AM EST

DETROIT -
Four people are dead and dozens of cars crushed in a massive crash that has closed a portion of I-75 in Detroit.

Several other injuries have been reported...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...52868/-/format/rss_2.0/-/8lqk92z/-/index.html

January 31, 2013 at 11:10 am

Fatal I-75 crash in Detroit a 'mile long'

By The Detroit News

Detroit — Four people are reportedly dead from a massive pileup crash during Thursday morning rush hour, which involved multiple semi-trucks and numerous vehicles and has closed Interstate 75 near Springwells, prompting an emergency request for 20 ambulances.

The accident scene is reportedly on southbound I-75 from Springwells to Schaeffer Highway. Emergency crews also are evaluating the scene for a potential fuel spill...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130131/METRO/301310434#ixzz2JZSvo3Ek

Cars, Trucks Entangled In Traffic Pileup Near Rouge River Bridge

January 31, 2013 11:22 AM

DETROIT (WWJ) - At least 30 vehicles are involved in a pileup along southbound I-75, just north of the Rouge River Bridge. State police said at least three people were killed, including two children. Multiple people were injured.

I-75 is shut down southbound between Springwells Street, Exit 45, and Dearborn Street, Exit 44, in River Rouge on the Detroit border. Northbound I-75 is closed at Schaefer, Exit 42...

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/01...ed-in-traffic-pileup-near-rouge-river-bridge/

I live in north-suburban Detroit where we've had intermittent white-outs for several hours. At times, I can't see the house across the street because the snow is so dense. Glad that I don't have to venture out today.

And now there is one on 23 in Flint:

Via FB:

WNEMTV5news

IN GENESEE COUNTY, US 23 NORTH AND SOUTHBOUND IS CLOSED BETWEEN GRAND BLANC RD AND THOMPSON RD DUE TO A MULTI-VEHICLE CRASH CAUSED BY WHITEOUT SNOW CONDITIONS. WE HAVE A CREW AT THE SCENE. STAY WITH WNEM TV5 NEWS AND WNEM DOT COM FOR UPDATES.

I ran to Kroger at 11 p.m. last night because I knew it was going to be icy today.

I am kind of angry at Channel 7 News. Before noon they broke into regular programming (which was fine) and although the reporter on the scene was very careful to make sure the cameraman did not get wrecked cars in the shots (because this was happening as she spoke and nobody's relatives/next of kin) could possibly have been notified, Channel 7 started using helicopter footage with HUGE CLOSEUPS of mangled cars and reporting that 3 children and 1 adult were dead.

I commend the on-the-scene reporter for being sensitive. I am angry with the person who made the decision to use the overhead shots before the scene had been assessed and notifications made.

And now there is one on 23 in Flint:

Via FB:

WNEMTV5news

IN GENESEE COUNTY, US 23 NORTH AND SOUTHBOUND IS CLOSED BETWEEN GRAND BLANC RD AND THOMPSON RD DUE TO A MULTI-VEHICLE CRASH CAUSED BY WHITEOUT SNOW CONDITIONS. WE HAVE A CREW AT THE SCENE. STAY WITH WNEM TV5 NEWS AND WNEM DOT COM FOR UPDATES.

This is a pretty bad area too. Not so much for accidents when the road is clear, but anytime there is ice or snow, there tends to be an accident there.

2 children, 1 adult die in Detroit freeway pileups

By COREY WILLIAMS and ED WHITE, AP

20 minutes ago

DETROIT — Blinding snow squalls, high winds and a slick highway led to a mile-long series of crashes in Detroit that left at least three people dead, including two children, and 20 more injured.

Michigan State Police Lt. Michael Shaw said visibility was extremely poor when the mass of crashes happened on Interstate 75 on the southwest side of the city. The injured, also including children, have been taken to hospitals, Shaw said.

A similar pileup west of Indianapolis involving more than 40 vehicles closed Interstate 70 in both directions. There was no immediate word on injuries, but the roadway was expected to be closed for several hours.

In Detroit, SUVs with smashed front ends and cars with doors hanging open sat scattered across the debris-littered highway, some crunched against jackknifed tractor-trailers and tankers. Rescue crews went vehicle to vehicle in the search for survivors and to provide aid...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20130131/US.Freeway.Crash.Detroit/

This from the Flint one:

http://www.wnem.com/story/20894953/report-20-car-pile-up-on-us-23-in-genesee-co

20894953_BG1.jpg

It's snowing so hard right now that I can't see the house across the street. It will probably take DH a very long time to get home this evening.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anniegirl401
Back