LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #29

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. There are, as has been said before, many, many other places to dispose of anything in an area filled with bayous, coulées, etc. WB has a special significance for louisianians.. I just don't see anyone picking it at random, JMO

It was not a random choice. I truly believe this was very calculated.

LA

Derrick Todd Lee and his conviction were national news, and the locations his victims were found in were broadcast nationally. There are books about him and even a spread on him at TruTV that mentions Whiskey Bay.

It's not like it's a terribly hidden secret or hard to find. It's a public boat launch off of a Major Interstate.
For what it's worth, I live in NJ and and am originally from FL and have never heard of Whiskey Bay until now.

I disagree. There are, as has been said before, many, many other places to dispose of anything in an area filled with bayous, coulées, etc. WB has a special significance for louisianians.. I just don't see anyone picking it at random, JMO

My post was in response to a post that the bike may have been found by a local and them dumped at WB after finding out about the investigation. I disagreed; I think it was taken by the perp and dumped at WB for whatever reason the perp might have had. Yes, I think it was a local that committed the crime, or at least someone familiar with the Lafayette area and knew about WB and its past history.

JMHO, a bicycle thief would have stripped the bike and only discarded the frame.

I didn't have a professional "bicycle thief" in mind. Was just thinking about a local who found the bicycle and took it home, perhaps to give to a young person. If there are problems with the Lafayette PD, they might not have wanted to report it, and instead just dumped it at WB.

JMO

My post was in response to a post that the bike may have been found by a local and them dumped at WB after finding out about the investigation. I disagreed; I think it was taken by the perp and dumped at WB for whatever reason the perp might have had. Yes, I think it was a local that committed the crime, or at least someone familiar with the Lafayette area and knew about WB and its past history.

Or a trucker, or someone who travels for work,or former resident. . I am no longer so sure about a local. I would think as talkative as Lafayette is, someone would have spilled the beans by now.

LA

OT BUT IMPORTANT! For all the locals...a friend has just announced that her cousins husband is missing from Sunset, LA since yesterday (Sunday) am. His name is Jean-Louis Macle. He was wearing a black thirst, tan shorts & kacki suede shoes. He attended a mens conference this weekend.

Or a trucker, or someone who travels for work,or former resident. . I am no longer so sure about a local. I would think as talkative as Lafayette is, someone would have spilled the beans by now.

LA

Good point. Though if that is the case, that just makes things so much harder.

Lafayette does have wagging tongues, just as do other cities/communities, but there is the possibility that someone really, really knows how to keep a secret. Or that people are oblivious to their loved ones actions that they don't notice anything amiss. IMO.

I do believe the bike was dumped at WB by the perp, however, I do not think it was dumped the night MS disappeared. I think it was probably dumped the day/night before it was found. Does anyone know anything about the person who found the bike besides it was someone who was out fishing?

I still believe the bike was disposed of last...after Mickey, whatever was done to/with her. I believe the same thing happened in Sierra's case, that her bag and books were dumped later, to relieve himself of all evidence of the victim. I can't imagine worrying about bikes or books when you have an actual victim in the vehicle with you...that worry would come later. JMO

Here's a hypothetical:

What if all of the petite blonde young women (who have never been found) were captured by different abductors, but held in the same place, somewhere, for some time, and everyone gave up on finding them because of disbelief that this could happen?

I guess I choose to believe that they are still alive, until proven otherwise.

OT BUT IMPORTANT! For all the locals...a friend has just announced that her cousins husband is missing from Sunset, LA since yesterday (Sunday) am. His name is Jean-Louis Macle. He was wearing a black thirst, tan shorts & kacki suede shoes. He attended a mens conference this weekend.

You should create a new thread for your friend.

Oh my. What is the name of the stable Mickey had her horse at?

edit: Found it. Willow Oaks. The wife of the missing person above works at an equestrian centre. What a coinky dink

The frame is the most crucial part. A bike is not a car. The tires, chain, seat, etc are very inexpensive for most riders. A frame can be sold on Craigslist, or ebay and anyone with a bit of smarts can buy a frame, repaint it , add new accessories etc and have a good bike.

So if someone picked it up, they could have profited from it.

LA

If someone had came upon the bike and picked it up for profit it seems like they would go for the $ 25K reward money.

Here's a hypothetical:

What if all of the petite blonde young women (who have never been found) were captured by different abductors, but held in the same place, somewhere, for some time, and everyone gave up on finding them because of disbelief that this could happen?

I guess I choose to believe that they are still alive, until proven otherwise.

It is definitely a probability, and one I have considered. In that case, that would be human trafficking.

LA

You should create a new thread for your friend.

Oh my. What is the name of the stable Mickey had her horse at?

edit: Found it. Willow Oaks. The wife of the missing person above works at an equestrian centre. What a coinky dink

THANKS! I suggested starting a thread here to his wife, as I have no other details to offer. But, definitely wanted to get it out there asap.

I am narrowing my opinion that it is someone local, likely drunk, on their normal drive home after leaving a bar. For whatever reason, likely the alcohol, they accidentally hit her and flipped out. Maybe they have prior DUI convictions, maybe a family...maybe just selfish. But they knew if they reported it they would end up going to prison so they made a terrible decision by taking her and the bike.

Once they had her in the car it was too late to change their mind even if they wanted to. They likely disposed of the bike conveniently...maybe somewhere they have been before so that they wouldn't seem out of place. It's difficult to imagine someone random would go the extra step to end a life but they may have been desperate to not get caught and not at full capacity.

If it were an accident then I would expect there to be some damage based on the fact that the back rim was damaged enough to cause the tire to dislodge. It takes a good hit to bend a rim. It could be as minor as some scratches on the bumber to having the windshield shattered. There likely wasn't much of a crime scene. We know that she had a leather backpack/purse and based on the daytime pic of her, rode with it strapped across her body. When I ride my bike, I don't have anything in my hands...nothing. So the perp would have grabbed a petite person and a bike. You can do that within a minute or two.

People abduct women for sexual reasons usually. It seems difficult to imagine that someone would hit her bike to the extent that she is seriously injured just so they could assault her. She is so small, alone on a bike at 2am...there would be no reason to feel the need to injure her. Even the worst sicko's likely don't want to assault someone that is bleeding. That is just more evidence for LE to find in their vehicle.

I have faith in LE and have a strong suspiscion that they have identified the truck whether or not they were a witness or a suspect. If not then it should happen soon enough. The passenger rear window has some type of sun shade or something else that someone out there is familiar with. Someone out there saw this truck and knew immediately who it belonged to. They could be silent because they are close to an arrest and don't want to jeopardize the investigation. The PI is smart enough to keep that quiet.

If i were the suspect, I would act completely normal. If the damage was noticeable I would fix it myself by stealing the parts so that they couldn't be tracked. I would clean it in some sort of high powered way so that chemicals wouldn't be necessary. I would act oblivious to all of the news reports and if LE or a PI asked, I would admit being in the area because if I weren't guilty then I would have no reason to lie.

Good point. Though if that is the case, that just makes things so much harder.

Lafayette does have wagging tongues, just as do other cities/communities, but there is the possibility that someone really, really knows how to keep a secret. Or that people are oblivious to their loved ones actions that they don't notice anything amiss. IMO.

Wouldn't be the first time. Dennis Rader was married, had two kids, and a stable job as an ordinance enforcement officer. He also murdered 10 people in the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

THANKS! I suggested starting a thread here to his wife, as I have no other details to offer. But, definitely wanted to get it out there asap.

Please do start a thread. Just so that others that aren't in this thread can be aware. :)

Wouldn't be the first time. Dennis Rader was married, had two kids, and a stable job as an ordinance enforcement officer. He also murdered 10 people in the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

Exactly my point. It's scary what some people are capable of.

Before we can open a missing person thread, a report has to be filed with LE and posted on a LE website or in MSM. I hope he returns before a thread is necessary.

Do we know what Mickey did that day? Before Artmosphere? If someone was following her, it's possible they watched her throughout the afternoon, Artmosphere, taco bell, brettlys, then from brettlys to a dark street. Many victims were watched before they were taken. DTL watched his victims to learn their schedules etc. someone knew her route. It's too clean of disappearance to be spur if the moment.

I agree. I cannot buy in to the idea that she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. The lack of evidence (as far as we know), the lack of video footage (the crime isn't on video that we know either), and the dropping of her bike at Whiskey Bay to me means her abductor was careful, calculated, and organized. He/she would have gotten her at some point if not that night, then another, likely just waiting for the right moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23