TN - Chris Newsom, 23, & Channon Christian, 21, murdered, Knoxville, 6 Jan 2007 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
UGHHHHH!!!!! I am so pissed and mad! I live in Clinton right outside of Knoxville and have watched this trial daily for the past week and a half! Cobbins' "family" who testified on his behalf had already gone back to Memphis when the jury reached a verdict, you know the family that really cared and cried and couldn't walk for the tears. BULL! There was NO JUSTICE for those 2 poor kids or their families. They were let down by the jury. My heart ACHED daily for the parents, families and friends of these kids. Channon Christian's daddy rocked back and forth and stared at Cobbins during this trial, his victim's impact statement today brought me to tears. They were not allowed to show these 2 young people in pictures from throughout their lives, only autopsy and crime scene photos were allowed. But, boy, Cobbins' childhood pictures were shown during the sentencing portion, the ones of him being a "normal" human being. He should have been given death and I only pray to God that Davidson, Coleman and Boyd get the needle.
My heart dropped when I heard the sentence. These poor families did not deserve this, it was not justice for Channon and Chris.
That Cobbins' attorney to even remotely allow the doctor that spoke today to say he suffered from PTSD stemming from his horrific childhood is bull. My son spent 2 tours of duty in Iraq, he saw some atrocities, but he isn't out raping, pillaging and murdering. NO JUSTICE AND THEY WERE LET DOWN BY THE JURY!!!
Sorry, I'm off my soapbox now.

There is nothing in this case that I heard that would've led me to vote LWOP!
no there was not finger prints on the bag or trash can. HE WAS THERE IN THE BEGINING, HE WAS THERE IS THE END. HE DID NOTHING TO HELP THEM. He deserved nothing less than death.
He was also there alone with her the day after the kidnapping, him and Vanessa Coleman, he could have let her go then. He only admitted guilt on the rape because his dna was all over her.

Just wanted to mention the murders were committed in Knoxville, Tn. Cobbins trial was also in Knoxville.
Thx for posting the link! :thumb:

I had to be away from home today and followed this via twitter/text to my phone. I am disappointed beyond words that it was not the DP. I hope he won't last long in prison. They may be waiting on him in there.

Thanks SuzieQ, Mama-cita, Yolorado, and everyone else who kept this thread up-to-date.

I am in shock and sickened by the sentence this jury imposed. WTH? They found him guilty of 33 of the 38 charges and they didn't think he deserved the DP? He more than deserved the DP! He's a poster child for the DP! What was this jury thinking??????:confused::eek:

Absolutely disgusted, I really thought the way the jury came back quickly with the verdict of guilty they would put him to death. Sick to my stomach thinking of those poor families that have to live every day of thier lives knowing the person responsible for taking thier children/loved ones is alive and breathing the same air.

Ugh, I can't even think straight right now. I have no doubt in my mind that this was a group effort by all parties, and to see even one of them get life and not death is an atrocity of our judicial system.

I'm just utterly speechless.....If he didn't deserve the death penalty, I don't know who the he!! does :mad:

The only good thing is that he will not get to cost the state of TN a fortune in appeals, and that he will never see freedom again.....( and if he ever did get out for any reason, he would be a marked man)
I feel that some crimes deserve the DP, and this was assuredly one of the worst I have ever heard of...
however, think of all the drawn out appeals which would have ensued from a DP.
Be glad that when those doors clang shut on him, that is it. Bye bye outside world. In some ways I think that death would be too easy for the likes of him. And as for his 'loving" family? They will be forever known as relatives of monsters.

Sorry if this has been posted, but I don't think it has. This video is heartbreaking, imo, the families reaction that I think many of you saw already. I hadn't seen it and went looking, just putting it here for those that also may have missed it.

Heartbreaking looking and listening to the parents, and they are 100% right about what they are saying about his standard of life now. How is that punishment? Video is on the left hand side, article is also at the link.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/aug/26/torture-slayings-trial-day-9-jury-weighs-life-deat/

But what good would a DP have been, if he appealed ( which you know would have been the case) and it dragged out for 20 years, forcing the poor families of the victims back into court, over and over.
If they could have a DP, without appeal, I would go for that. Hanging or firing squad for these monsters.
However, our current system is set up to give murderers the luxury of appeals, at taxpayer cost.....
And, I still cannot believe the restrictions placed on victim statements.....

Not sure where I got Kentucky from, long day, I suppose, thanks for the link..

Does anyone know which prison he will go to? Also, will he be among general population in prison?

I'm thinking that if he had gotten the DP he would have gone to death row where he would be separated from other prisoners. This may not be correct and maybe I'm getting my info from TV shows...

Look what happened to Jeffrey Dahlmer. He didn't last too long.

Does anyone know which prison he will go to? Also, will he be among general population in prison?

I'm thinking that if he had gotten the DP he would have gone to death row where he would be separated from other prisoners. This may not be correct and maybe I'm getting my info from TV shows...

Look what happened to Jeffrey Dahlmer. He didn't last too long.

He will be in general population. You're right about the DP. He would have been separated from other inmates. I believe on death row, you're allowed out of your cell for one hour each day for rec time.

Both Chris and Channon's parents stated life in prison for Cobbins was an upgrade from his street life. They said he gets a warm cot to sleep in, 3 meals a day, free health and dental care, and a TV and radio in his cell.

Personally, I would have loved for Cobbins to get the DP and wait out his execution in solitary confinement. IMO, soitary confinement would feel like mental torture.

Hopefully, Cobbins will get the same treatment as Dahlmer.

What must a man do to get the death penalty in Tennessee? A premeditated carjacking leading to the rape, torture, and slaughter of two innocent people doesn’t warrant death?
Sure, Cobbins had a horrible childhood, but many others do too. I guess his treatment growing up makes him not fully responsible for his actions as an adult? If the jury wasn’t convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that he deserved death, how could they convict him in the first place?
Takisha Fitzgerald and Leland Price presented such a strong case that even I, a person not fully pro death penalty, would have gladly started the IV and pushed the drugs to end Cobbins’ life.
I wonder what Cobbins will do in prison? Surely, he’ll have nothing to lose during his incarceration. He committed an incredibly heinous act and just got life. What could he do worse?

I'm not really familiar with the laws and what the rules are for the death penalty and such, but I wonder if the defense attorney's statement made the jury decide to go for LWOP instead of the DP. I remember him saying if you give Cobbins death then what do you give Davidson (not a quote)? So I suppose if you believe that Davidson was more involved in the actual murder of Channon, then he should suffer the harsher punishment. I hope what I'm trying to say makes sense.

I would have liked for him to have been sentenced to death, but like everyone said he would have numerious appeals and be seperated from the general population. The only way death would have satisfied me is if it would have been immediate and painful. Hopefully, he'll get what he deserves in prison (think Jeffrey Dahmer) and then face his final judgement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soababiotiling