The case for murder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rosemary, There is an opinion that the phone belongs to Jonah and that he was kind enough to allow Rebecca to use it. That is why there are thoughts going around that the phone will not be returned to Rebecca's family.

if they can prove they own it? Rebecca was the Zahau family's NEXT OF KIN. how much further proof would they need to prove that they are entitled to her personal belongings because they are her next of kin?

San Diego/California:

Next of kin is meaningless in ownership of personal property when a person dies. Did she bequeth the phone to them in her Will?

If so, go to court and get it.

JMO

Rosemary, There is an opinion that the phone belongs to Jonah and that he was kind enough to allow Rebecca to use it. That is why there are thoughts going around that the phone will not be returned to Rebecca's family.

Maybe Rebecca had a Will and left it to her family. If they want it, they should pursue it.

JMO

Next of kin is meaningless in ownership of personal property when a person dies. Did she bequeth the phone to them in her Will?

JMO

So then all of Rebecca's personal belongings that were left at the mansion are not being given to her family? They are staying with Jonah since he owns the mansion and Rebecca did not bequeth those things to her family? That doesn't sound correct to me.

I doubt it takes more than a couple of hours but I also doubt we would be told the results if all it does is confirm their already announced conclusion of suicide.

JMO

did they bother to tell the Zahaus the results though?

Why would they since they didn't bother to tell them the actual results of the autopsy? I mean the family had to wait until the AR was released before they found out some things.

So then all of Rebecca's personal belongings that were left at the mansion are not being given to her family? They are staying with Jonah since he owns the mansion and Rebecca did not bequeth those things to her family? That doesn't sound correct to me.

Were all of Rebecca's personal belongings seized with a search warrant? Has her family asked for items not seized and been denied?

I have no idea. The Zahaus have accused them of corruption, cover-ups, unprofessionalism, being slackers so it would not surprise me if LE no longer communicates with their accusers.

JMO

So next of kin is meaningless when it comes to property seized by a search warrent but when things are left in a place that does not belong to the deceased the next of kin is allowed to receive those items? Again, this just does not make any sense to me at all.

JMO

For crying out loud - it's a Samsung cell phone, not the friggin' Hope Diamond!

Who cares about a freakin' will? It's not as if it was valuable property- or is it? Hmmmmm...

Secrets can be considered to be VERY valuable by those who wish to keep them secret.

Gosh - I'm beginning to get curious about what may be on that phone.

So next of kin is meaningless when it comes to property seized by a search warrent but when things are left in a place that does not belong to the deceased the next of kin is allowed to receive those items? Again, this just does not make any sense to me at all.

I think there are legal processes in place that address items seized in search warrants. The family does have an attorney.

JMO

but what about her other belongings? as for the phone, there isn't any proof that it belongs to JS therefore I don't believe that it belongs to him at all. The LE identified the phone as belonging to Rebecca, so if we are to believe them, her next of kin are the ones who are entitled to get it, not JS.

Who cares about a freakin' will? It's not as if it was valuable property- or is it? Hmmmmm...

It's still personal property that may be worth several hundred dollars and should be covered under a Will. The family does have an attorney. If it has no value, why would the family want it?

JMO

It's still personal property that may be worth several hundred dollars and should be covered under a Will. The family does have an attorney. If it has no value, why would the family want it?

JMO

Because it belonged to their daughter/sister?!?! My clothes hold no value however I can assure you that if I were to die my daughters would want at least one item each so they would have something to remember me by. I seriously cannot believe that because something has no value that the family would just not want it.

but what about her other belongings? as for the phone, there isn't any proof that it belongs to JS therefore I don't believe that it belongs to him at all. The LE identified the phone as belonging to Rebecca, so if we are to believe them, her next of kin are the ones who are entitled to get it, not JS.

Items seized in a search warrant are returned to the person from whom they were seized.
If RZ's family feels they own the phone, then they should ask the Judge for it to be returned to them.

JMO

Because it belonged to their daughter/sister?!?! My clothes hold no value however I can assure you that if I were to die my daughters would want at least one item each so they would have something to remember me by. I seriously cannot believe that because something has no value that the family would just not want it.

Rebecca's phone was seized under a court-ordered search warrant. If the family wants it for whatever reason, they should ask the court for it.

JMO

JMO

Did she even have a will? because if she didn't, her next of kin would be expected to get whatever belongings or property she has.

Who is considered the legal next-of-kin?
Absent a legal document designating a person or persons to make decisions after their death, the legal next-of-kin is defined by law as the person responsible for making decisions regarding what will happen to the decedent after their death. The law states that the legal next-of-kin is based solely upon a person’s relationship to the decedent prior to their death. The first legal next-of-kin would be the spouse, (husband or wife), followed by any adult children, the decedent s parent(s), and finally the decedent’s siblings, (brothers or sisters).

How do I reclaim property obtained by the Medical Examiner-Coroner's Office?
The Medical Examiner-Coroner may be in possession of personal property belonging to a decedent. The legal next-of-kin may authorize the Medical Examiner-Coroner’s Office to release the property to a funeral home or mortuary, or they may obtain the property (or authorize another person to obtain the property) directly from the Medical Examiner-Coroner’s Office. In order for a funeral home/mortuary to obtain personal property at the time they pick up the decedent, the legal next-of-kin must complete and sign a Properly Release Form which may be obtained through the Forms tab on the Coroner’s Office website. The Medical Examiner-Coroner’s Office will release property directly to the legal next-of-kin or any person (with valid photo ID) furnishing written authorization signed by the legal next-of-kin.

Did she even have a will? because if she didn't, her next of kin would be expected to get whatever belongings or property she has.

Who is considered the legal next-of-kin?
Absent a legal document designating a person or persons to make decisions after their death, the legal next-of-kin is defined by law as the person responsible for making decisions regarding what will happen to the decedent after their death. The law states that the legal next-of-kin is based solely upon a person’s relationship to the decedent prior to their death. The first legal next-of-kin would be the spouse, (husband or wife), followed by any adult children, the decedent s parent(s), and finally the decedent’s siblings, (brothers or sisters).

How do I reclaim property obtained by the Medical Examiner-Coroner's Office?
The Medical Examiner-Coroner may be in possession of personal property belonging to a decedent. The legal next-of-kin may authorize the Medical Examiner-Coroner’s Office to release the property to a funeral home or mortuary, or they may obtain the property (or authorize another person to obtain the property) directly from the Medical Examiner-Coroner’s Office. In order for a funeral home/mortuary to obtain personal property at the time they pick up the decedent, the legal next-of-kin must complete and sign a Properly Release Form which may be obtained through the Forms tab on the Coroner’s Office website. The Medical Examiner-Coroner’s Office will release property directly to the legal next-of-kin or any person (with valid photo ID) furnishing written authorization signed by the legal next-of-kin.

The property was not obtained by the ME so your second paragraph is not relevant.

If the family wants anything of Rebecca's seized in a search warrant, they must ask the Court for it. They have an attorney.

JMO

Secrets can be considered to be VERY valuable by those who wish to keep them secret.

Gosh - I'm beginning to get curious about what may be on that phone.

JMO

The family obviously wants it because the family wants answers (that may be contained within the phone), as they have been stating for weeks.

The fact that SDCSD is retaining possession of the phone, under the guise of "examining" it with suddenly new software that was unavailable on September 2, when RZ's death was officially declared a *suicide* and after the case was legally closed with so-called "iron clad" scientific evidence - well, it gives one pause for thought.

I, for one, will NOT apologize for being suspicious.

JMO

because as they've stated, they want to do their own personal investigation of the phone and its contents. Plus, the value to the family is immense in that it was one of their loved one's belongings, so why wouldn't they want it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam