LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
And as I've said several times before, I believe that statement is inaccurate. Unless the phone was broken or the battery was removed, it can be tracked.
I would think the very first thing someone would do is remove the battery. I mean its in every TV show to do that.

RE: 10 days before notification by LE of rape attempt on NC State University Coed Bicyclist 06/18/2012

http://fayobserver.com/articles/2012/06/25/1186624?sac=fo.local

A 14-year-old girl told police she was raped Thursday along Cross Creek Linear Park after leaving the Cumberland County Headquarters Library.

By Andrew Barksdale, Michael Futch and Nancy McCleary
Staff writers Tue Jun 26, 2012

A 14-year-old girl reported being raped along a downtown park trail Thursday evening after she had left the Cumberland County Headquarters Library, police said Monday.

The girl told police she was assaulted about 8 p.m. along Cross Creek Linear Park as hundreds of people were heading to Festival Park about a block away for the Fayetteville After Five concert.

Police released a description of the attacker but hadn't found him as of Monday night.

* Although Police Department policy requires notifying the public of sexual assaults involving strangers within 72 hours after the attack, Thursday's rape report wasn't made public until Monday morning.

* After The Fayetteville Observer questioned the delay, interim Police Chief Katherine Bryant apologized for a "breakdown in communications." The policy, which was adopted more than two years ago, applies to adult victims.

If you read the comments beneath the article, people of Fayetteville are soaying that the girl was lying. She filed a false report! Why would anyone do this? That's crazy. i've heard of this, but more date rape like situations, but to say a man raped you in broad daylight while a festival was going on is beyond bizarre. AND to give description - a 50 year old man??

So basically you are saying that they do have a place where her phone last pinged. They just are not releasing that information.

So basically you are saying that they do have a place where her phone last pinged. They just are not releasing that information.
IMO we know about where she was and I would guess the last ping supports that. Unfortunately it is not anything we don;t already know. Pings are only pretty close within what a mile or so? IOW, they are not exact to a pin point location as they rely on surrounding towers to pick up the pings as we move. So, again imo,I would think the last ping is in the area she was last seen and that's about all it tells us.

My relative went missing recently and they were able to triangulate her pings for a time but not to her exact location jusdt approximate- until her phone went dead and then that was the end of it.

just because they know there was a call and a text doesn't mean that her phone was pingable beyond that. i'm guessing they phone records show that call and text then the battery was taken out and there's nothing else after that. i don't think they are keeping any phone info from us, just bike and truck and video and POI info

water doesn't wash away all fingerprints, right?? they will stick even though the body or object is in the water, right??

I should also add that I hope they have information that is not released. because the less the suspect knows,the harder it will be for them to cover their tracks or account for being someplace they oughtn't.
IOW, if there is a ping that is telling if they let the suspect know where that was, then they can perhaps cover their tracks if they may have been seen or known to be in that location.
The less the perp knows -the better.

Its not often.
But this is one of those cases I wish I had the money to fly to LA and spend a weekend to do some searching with a local.

Thank you for your kindness in wanting to help search.
You are very generous...... :peace:

Not sure..Why?

I still tend to lean towards Mickey's abductor being somewhat local, but...

http://dotw-xfer01.dot.state.nc.us/gisdot/DOTBikeMaps/Urban Maps/bikeped_maps_raleigh-full.pdf

I'm not sure if that link will work, but it is the "urban bike/pedestrian" map for Raleigh. It wasn't hard to find and cross reference with google maps. And that area does look really similar to the St. streets here in Lafayette, and there are a couple of bike paths in that exact area. Maybe this guy looks up bike paths and finds a less trafficked area at night, maybe watches for a night or two, or just gets lucky while scoping it out, and waits for a lone female rider to ride by. I'm sure that happens often, especially in a relativly safe college town. I still see them here at all hours of the night. I tell my kids constantly that there is power in numbers! Look out for each other and stick together! (I also believe anyone should be able to ride anywhere, any time, especially in a safe neighborhood near college. These two cases are eerily similar. This is the first one that I've thought maybe, and that's a GIANT maybe, that they could be related.

The Whiskey Bay drop for the bike has me convinced this is a local person. I just have not been able to find a way to believe that a passing-through-town serial offender made their way out there to dump the bike. Nor do I believe we are looking at one person taking Mickey and another the bike. That is too much activity on the street for no one to see anything. Not everyone is dishonest, so there would probably be a few people who passed by and did NOT steal the bike, yet apparently no one has said they saw a bike laying in the road. Or saw anyone putting one in their vehicle. Anyway, JMO

The last I had seen on this case was the photo of her riding past just before the white truck did. Then learning they had found her bike...Thats the last update i ever seen .So what is all the talk about a photo and the light on her bike being the same as under a truck...people are en larginf the pic to see if u can see it ...and there had been names of people what names what people anything atfter finding the bike would be new to me what are the new details right now everyone is talking about there seems to be a few different things..can someone fill me in. I been reading and reading but I cant keep up i need help to get caught up what happend after they found the bike what are they looking at .what pics .people .evidence anything

No they are not perfect. There was discussion regarding dogs at BW's early on.

Like many have stated here if they go missing to let everyone here know as at least there would be a huge group of people looking for them. I agree with those statements.

That is why I am asking the questions I have been. The family went to social networking immediately which got the word out quickly. Like I said when I am stuck or have felt like I have throughout this case that I am missing a number of pieces to the puzzle I go back to the beginning.

I found this on the timeline..at KATC..

http://www.katc.com/full-coverage/searching-for-mickey-shunick/

Meanwhile, six highly trained dogs from Special K-9's Rescue and Recovery Group out of Texas scoured more areas in the Atchafalaya Basin
"Our primary goal is to clear certain areas, so that people on the ground won't have to cover them," said spokesperson Mike Candella.
The dogs covered 10 miles on land and completed four water searches with their trainers. Though the dogs didn't turn up any forensic evidence, the team hopes they helped rule out areas near Whiskey Bay.

I would like a recap of what dogs searched and wear. Apparently K-9s must have searched the area close to where the bike was dumped to clear the thought that the body was dumped nearby. So we know that the texas K-9 group cleared some of the Whiskey Bay area. What other areas were cleared by K9s?

i want your opinions on this, so i'm quoting myself. :blushing:

Personally, I doubt they say anything and if they do, I would guess that they will say there is no connection, even if they think there is or may be a connection. I think the only time or way they will actually make a public announcement that they are related is if it is on the heels of an arrest.

Can, unfortunately there have been no updates issued by LE. We are still only certain that Mickey is missing. If you go to the top of every thread, there is information that will let you know what is 'known.' Island did an incredible job of listing time lines, etc.

Am so sorry there is nothing more solid to write...words will never reveal how very sorry we all are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni