LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.theadvertiser.com/articl...03/POLICE-CONFIRM-MICKEY-S-BIKE-FOUND....here

Snipped by me:

"The entire area and the river are being searched for clues and evidence," said Lafayette Police Department PIO Cpl. Paul Mouton in an email Sunday afternoon. "Police are asking the public to remain out of the area so that law enforcement officials can search."

Currently, members of the St. Martin Parish Narcotics Unit are using four-wheelers to scour the treeline and woods in the area. A Louisiana State Police helicopter is flying low, performing an aerial search.

Underneath the bridge itself, K-9 units and a Lafayette Police Department command post are set up to help direct the searchers.
BBM.

Confusion alert...

Which river?

chicken fried's earlier posted that he wasn't on the water in this area and that it is the swamp/basin, and that he'd searched on the Vermillion river...

The same psychic who was so insistent about someone holding Mikey out in the boonies, also kept saying she saw a boat ramp.

I don't put a lot of faith in psychics, but there are several homes out there in the swamp area with people that totally live off of the land...could it be it.

A possibility, but not necessarily. The FBI can come in early for many reasons, from what I understand. I know that in the Lauren Giddings case (Macon, Ga, June 2011) the FBI became involved the first day. There was lots of speculation as to why. One reason given (not sure how accurate it is) is that the crime occurred close to a college campus. Could be a similar reason here, if so.

Thanks for your input. I live 2 blocks from the University of Louisiana Lafayette campus and she was last seen on camera 4 blocks from the University (2 blocks from my house). This could be the reason.

Remember your #tags - whole bunch of new stuff here, so if it's not listed below please list.

I don't put a lot of faith in psychics, but there are several homes out there in the swamp area with people that totally live off of the land...could it be it.

They'd have to be an idiot to be taking her out in the boonies but leave her bike at an I-10 exit, no? I'm thinking the perp didn't have a a boat.

Just jumping on- her bike has been found about 25 miles away? Like thrown over side of a bridge? Is that correct and is there any other info I missed while skimming the thread? Tia

That makes sense. Being an interstate exit, he could have gotten back and head west, as well. Those traffic cams are going to be critical - if they can zoom in.

Because the red light/speeding cameras are controversial around here, some people use a "special" licence plate cover....so if a camera catches their car, the plate will be unreadable. The cover just produces a glare on the traffic enforcement photo.

I never considered before that a criminal might find those covers to be very crime friendly, but I am praying a plate is visible.

To be blunt, if the reason that I stopped at Whiskey Bay was because I was going to use the boat ramp, I would have everything from the grab in the boat under a tarp.... then go out on the water. Use of a boat, plus leaving the bike on land, doesn't compute.

This is quite an interesting development. From the way the locals are describing this area, it would be common knowledge to locals that this specific area would be a difficult area to search. She has been missing for over a week now and it somehow feels convenient to find her bike in this place. Very possible this could be a misdirection attempt, can't discount that angle.

Yes... if someone did NOT want the bike found, they could have easily thrown it over the side of the bridge into the water and it would NEVER have been found. This seems either a misdirection, or someone who was not thinking very clearly at all.

They'd have to be an idiot to be taking her out in the boonies but leave her bike at an I-10 exit, no? I'm thinking the perp didn't have a a boat.

I agree. Like I said, I don't pay faith to psychics...just commenting on what was said, it could be a possibility. Not a likely one, but a possibility nonetheles.

Because the red light/speeding cameras are controversial around here, some people use a "special" licence plate cover....so if a camera catches their car, the plate will be unreadable. The cover just produces a glare on the traffic enforcement photo.

I never considered before that a criminal might find those covers to be very crime friendly, but I am praying a plate is visible.

I would think the plate covers would be illegal!

The bike was easily enough found that it does give some hope that someone had found it then ditched it upon learning its history, unconcerned if it were found as that person had not taken Mickey.

Well, I'm hoping.

Yes... if someone did NOT want the bike found, they could have easily thrown it over the side of the bridge into the water and it would NEVER have been found. This seems either a misdirection, or someone who was not thinking very clearly at all.

Or someone who stole the bike after she went missing and then tried to dump it fast- maybe a teen.

Jinx wfgodot, you owe me a coke ;)

To be blunt, if the reason that I stopped at Whiskey Bay was because I was going to use the boat ramp, I would have everything from the grab in the boat under a tarp.... then go out on the water. Use of a boat, plus leaving the bike on land, doesn't compute.

Agreed. I don't think he has a boat .

(And yes, I'm assuming it's a "he.")

The Advocate just posted this article. Posting it in the event it may shed any additional info or a different light concerning the 1st truck & cargo bed issue.

http://theadvocate.com/home/2944447-125/missing-lafayette-girls-bicycle-found

Snipped by me:
The second truck is a white, four-door Chevrolet Z-71 truck that traveled in the same direction on St. Landry Street as the bicyclist believed to be Shunick, Mouton said.

The third vehicle is a 1980s or 1990s four-door car with body work on the rear right quarter panel, Mouton said. Police believe that car turned onto St. Landry Street and headed in the same direction as Shunick, Mouton said.

Police also said that the first pickup truck, which traveled from the area that Shunick had traveled, has a cargo bed cover and tinted windows, Mouton said.

Yeah, Whiskey Bay has practically nothing there. It's not well-lit, it's mostly a place to get on and off the Basin by boat (boat ramps and such). We had a flat tire one night and pulled off there and I was terrified while we waited for a tow truck. It's very desolate.

Yes, remember it was at Whiskey Bay that Derrick Todd Lee dumped Carrie Yoder and it is near where Pam Kinamore was found as well.

Just to call things as they are, that car is a Cadillac, likely a 1979-'86 Fleetwood Brougham or an '87-'89 Brougham and, almost without exception, locals driving Cadillacs of that vintage are black. It's very fashionable. Very, VERY few whites driving something like that, unless it's a young kids trying to act "ghetto."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆