2010.09.15 - Levi Page Show - Pat Brown weighs in

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first time I have heard or even heard of Levi Page and Pat Brown. After listening, I'm not terribly impressed. Like Nancy Grace, Levi seems heavy on the bluster and sensationalism and light on substance; they could as easily be talking about ginsu knives on QVC. Pat Brown has strong speculative opinions but seems less well-informed than your average WSer.

You made me laugh about Pat Brown. LOL Many posters don't like her, maybe because of that speculative nature she puts forth. I have a different take on her.

The valuable thing about what PB says is everything she has either learned, or studied about and then used when it comes to understanding how different predators work. Think of all the things she knows. She is an expert at Serial Killers. I think all that knowledge she has in profiling can be used to apply to predatory criminals in general. Why they choose the victims they do, what they are likely to do in certain situations and how varied these people really are depending on what motivates them to commit a crime. I always appreciate her insight as it comes from experience and much study on her part. IMO

Let's not bash people please. I have removed one post due to name calling.

It is okay to disagree with a public figure, it is not okay to bash them.

I've also gotten a couple of alerts about negative comments regarding Levi as he is one of our members. We do allow more leeway with opinions about Levi since he is a public figure. However, please remember that he is a member here and has always been very kind to our members. We can disagree with him, but we can't bash him either.

I'm a big fan of Pat Brown and think she is very sensible and non emotional in her profiling. Her thinking that Kyron is deceased is very sad even though it seems that Kyron may not have been treated very well, and wouldn't be a suprise.

I don't particularly care for Pat Brown. She seems to rubber stamp all potential suspects or POI the same. I find her very repetitious.

She may be an expert on serial killers but then most of the cases discussed on tv aren't about serial killers. I am not aware of any profile she did that helped the police discover who the serial killer was but maybe she has done so. I don't know anything about her actual work and only see her in the media as a talking head on crime shows.

And I have never seen her testify in the many trials I have watched.

IMO

Levi wants to know why we have to read between the lines with what LE is saying. Pat says some police depts. are more secretive than others. Pat was impressed they put out TH's pic and the van.

hi kimster...am i missing something here...there was "Van" involved....???

I think Pat meant the truck, I actually clarified and said the truck.

I don't particularly care for Pat Brown. She seems to rubber stamp all potential suspects or POI the same. I find her very repetitious.

She may be an expert on serial killers but then most of the cases discussed on tv aren't about serial killers. I am not aware of any profile she did that helped the police discover who the serial killer was but maybe she has done so. I don't know anything about her actual work and only see her in the media as a talking head on crime shows.

IMO

I read Pat Brown's book and most of the cases she wrote about were not serial killers. I don't know if most of the cases she works on were serial killers or not, but they were not the majority of the ones she wrote about in her book.

I like Pat Brown, I think she makes a lot more sense than the psychobabbble psyschologists we see/hear so often in the media.

I read Pat Brown's book and most of the cases she wrote about were not serial killers. I don't know if most of the cases she works on were serial killers or not, but they were not the majority of the ones she wrote about in her book.

I like Pat Brown, I think she makes a lot more sense than the psychobabbble psyschologists we see/hear so often in the media.

I like her too. I'm very interested in psychology but sometimes people in that field use terminology I'm not familiar with. I know she is probably having to simplify things for me as a layperson, but it's better than not understanding what the heck she's talking about. LOL

IMO

Criminal profilers tend to do that because of statistics. IMO, most, not all, but most perps could be rubberstamped. Look at all the murdering husbands we follow at WS. I swear most of them use the same how to list. Same with murdering parents who report their kid missing to cover up the murder. How many times do we see that one? IMO, the crime will usually fall in with the statistics. There is always the exception to the rule, but not often.....jmo.

Let's not bash people please. I have removed one post due to name calling.

It is okay to disagree with a public figure, it is not okay to bash them.

I've also gotten a couple of alerts about negative comments regarding Levi as he is one of our members. We do allow more leeway with opinions about Levi since he is a public figure. However, please remember that he is a member here and has always been very kind to our members. We can disagree with him, but we can't bash him either.

Sorry, I really didn't mean to bash but on re-reading my post it certainly came out that way. Like I said, this was the first time I've heard either of them and I am unfamiliar with their work. I was looking to elicit comments like the ones that followed. At the end of the day all of us, including people like Pat Brown and Bruce McCain, are putting out speculation about this case since we really know very few hard facts and it's helpful to know something about the knowledge and biases of the person speculating when considering the value of their opinions. Too many times you see talking heads (or even reporters) state opinions as fact and too many people then accept those statements as truth simply because of the source.

Sorry, I really didn't mean to bash but on re-reading my post it certainly came out that way. Like I said, this was the first time I've heard either of them and I am unfamiliar with their work. I was looking to elicit comments like the ones that followed. At the end of the day all of us, including people like Pat Brown and Bruce McCain, are putting out speculation about this case since we really know very few hard facts and it's helpful to know something about the knowledge and biases of the person speculating when considering the value of their opinions. Too many times you see talking heads (or even reporters) state opinions as fact and too many people then accept those statements as truth simply because of the source.

You didn't bash, no worries. :) It's okay to disagree. I'm glad you explain the reasons behind your opinions.

You made me laugh about Pat Brown. LOL Many posters don't like her, maybe because of that speculative nature she puts forth. I have a different take on her.

The valuable thing about what PB says is everything she has either learned, or studied about and then used when it comes to understanding how different predators work. Think of all the things she knows. She is an expert at Serial Killers. I think all that knowledge she has in profiling can be used to apply to predatory criminals in general. Why they choose the victims they do, what they are likely to do in certain situations and how varied these people really are depending on what motivates them to commit a crime. I always appreciate her insight as it comes from experience and much study on her part. IMO

What was it she said about twelve year old Kayleah? Something to the effect of she was too chubby to have been abducted or sexually assaulted. First of all, she wasn't too fat to have been abducted (what an utterly ridiculous assumption) --- she wasn't fat, period. And that was one of the most heartless, insensitive comments I've ever heard in a missing child case.

Ah Mrs. Mom, don't worry 'bout your little one. She's far too [fill in the blank] for anyone to want to do bad things to her.

I have no use for Ms. Brown.

What was it she said about twelve year old Kayleah? Something to the effect of she was too chubby to have been abducted or sexually assaulted. First of all, she wasn't too fat to have been abducted (what an utterly ridiculous assumption) --- she wasn't fat, period. And that was one of the most heartless, insensitive comments I've ever heard in a missing child case.

Ah Mrs. Mom, don't worry 'bout your little one. She's far too [fill in the blank] for anyone to want to do bad things to her.

I have no use for Ms. Brown.

That comment has to be one of Pat Brown's very worst mistakes. Not long after saying that, 12yo Kayleah's naked body was found in a nearby drain pipe after a heavy rain. There has yet to be a predator arrested. moo

When Pat is off, she is really off. What I like about Pat Brown is that she came out of nowhere, got a degree in criminal justice, made her career what it is, and is an inspiration to women everywhere. I may or may not listen to her but I will always say - good for her! hoo

Listening now. (won't be able to listen to entire show)

But I just had to interject.

I have a serious problem with her saying it's 'unfortunate in today's society' that the prosecution has to prove their case -- that they can't simply go into court and claim "we think" without proof of a crime.

Today's society? Unfortunate ??? Psst, Ms. Brown. That's how we do things here, and have for well over 200 years.

Oh Lord, now she's claiming that this is a "flat area".

I gotta turn this off. My BP is rising.

I respect your entitled opinion of Ms. Brown. I just do not share the same opinion after watching her for many years.

IMO

Criminal profilers tend to do that because of statistics. IMO, most, not all, but most perps could be rubberstamped. Look at all the murdering husbands we follow at WS. I swear most of them use the same how to list. Same with murdering parents who report their kid missing to cover up the murder. How many times do we see that one? IMO, the crime will usually fall in with the statistics. There is always the exception to the rule, but not often.....jmo.

That is not the problem I have with Pat Brown and I think motives and mindsets are different however with each case. I don't think all who murder are from the same cookie cutter design. If that were the case the experts could predict who will murder and who wont and they have yet to accomplish that feat.

My problem with Ms. Brown is she has a tendency to make someone guilty even before they are arrested or charge or called a suspect or POI and some of the ones she was so convinced were guilty of the crime.... never were.

This is just my personal observation after watching her for many years.

IMO

That is not the problem I have with Pat Brown and I think motives and mindsets are different however with each case. I don't think all who murder are from the same cookie cutter design. If that were the case the experts could predict who will murder and who wont and they have yet to accomplish that feat.

My problem with Ms. Brown is she has a tendency to make someone guilty even before they are arrested or charge or called a suspect or POI and some of the ones she was so convinced were guilty of the crime.... never were.

This is just my personal observation after watching her for many years.

IMO

BBM. I don't feel that way either and said in my post that most not all. I just wanted to respond to your rubberstamping comment. For the most part, a certain type of criminal is pretty predictable. I think some profilers forget the exceptions and get tunnel vision.

Pat says TH fits the profile of someone who could commit this crime against Kyron. She is narcisstic, she's moving on with her life as if he didn't matter, Kyron wasn't important to her. When a child goes missing and you know they are dead, it is annoying people keep looking and want everyone else to please move on. That's how they think.

THIS IS NOT A TRANSCRIPTION - THIS IS JUST ME HIGHLIGHTING WHAT WAS SAID ON THE SHOW. PLEASE LISTEN FOR YOURSELF TO GET THE ACTUAL DISCUSSION.

I bolded this part, I found this really interesting for me, it is not anything I have ever thought of before, I guess that is why they need profilers in certain cases. I find profiling really interesting, because you really do need to think like a criminal to understand what one may do. Having never been a criminal it does not naturally come to me to think that way.

BBM. I don't feel that way either and said in my post that most not all. I just wanted to respond to your rubberstamping comment. For the most part, a certain type of criminal is pretty predictable. I think some profilers forget the exceptions and get tunnel vision.

Not on Criminal Minds LOLOLOL Actually I have learned allot from that show and think it is very well written. I agree with your comment a certain type of criminal is pretty predictable. On that show they constantly troubleshoot their profile to refine it. I've always thought the writer must use the FBI as a resource for the script leading me to believe this is how it is done in the real world.

Just sayin', and yes there could be those profilers who get tunnel vision. That means they are not following the book in their job. :banghead:

I remember reading a study about the high percentage of prisoners having psychopathic-narcissistic personalities. I found it fascinating, and when you think about it makes sense that many never feel remorse, lack of empathy for the victims of their crimes, never thought they would get caught and they thought they could fool everyone.

Respectfully snipped by me:

Thank you, Scandi. I had the opportunity to meet Pat Brown some years ago (pre-HLN) and she was as down-to-earth and "on the level" as you get.....not unlike the vast majority of LE/bureau personnel I know.
I got the distinct impression at the time, "Wow....this is a woman in the trenches." Anecdotal information, I know, but Pat was trying to grab a quick coffee break while balancing a stack of thick files, had circles under her eyes from sleep deprivation, wrinkled as all get out, but still sharp as a whip and completely focused on catching a perp. She even apologized to us for not having time to chat..........said she was trying to catch her "second wind" after she had passed the 32 hr. mark. IMO, she's done the work and she's been in the trenches. I respect her opinion.

JMO :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member