Kansas demands that sperm donor pay child support

Reader

Reaction score
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...mands-that-sperm-donor-pay-child-support?lite

A Kansas man who donated sperm to a lesbian couple three years ago is fighting the state’s demand that he pay child support..............

The issue of child support arose when the two women broke up, and the couple applied for state services. Workers at the Kansas Department for Children and Families demanded the donor’s name and then filed a child-support claim against him, the newspaper said..............

Court rulings vary
Sperm donors who donate through a sperm bank are typically protected by state parenting shield laws. But in less straight-forward cases, courts have differed on whether the men should pay up.......

more at link......

A good lesson for all, I suppose. Get a licensed physician to do the insemination. Not sure how the signed agreement will hold up in court. State says it's null and void. He obviously had no contact with the little girl until the relationship fell apart and he was dragged into this by the State.

What a mess. This couple had 8 children!

The girl’s birth certificate does not include her biological father’s name, and the Capital-Journal said that he had no contact with the girl, other than receiving occasional email updates from Bauer. Both women adopted the girl, although they had to file for adoption separately because the state does not recognize same-sex unions, the newspaper said. This means that the state also cannot collect child support from same-sex parents.

I don't understand it. If both women have adopted the girl and are therefore her legal parents, why on earth does it matter whether the state recognizes same sex unions or not? I thought parents are eligible for paying child support regardless of their marital status.

I don't understand it. If both women have adopted the girl and are therefore her legal parents, why on earth does it matter whether the state recognizes same sex unions or not? I thought parents are eligible for paying child support regardless of their marital status.

When the two women split in 2010, they had eight children, including some they adopted, whom they now co-parent.

They're co parenting so who would pay the child support? I guess that is the issue. IDK

Well, the man isn't the father. He is a donor. For the state to go after him is ridiculous.

Court rulings vary
Sperm donors who donate through a sperm bank are typically protected by state parenting shield laws. But in less straight-forward cases, courts have differed on whether the men should pay up.......

The guy was stupid. When it comes to private/personal sperm donations contracts often don't mean squat.

The contract was between him and the women, the child support is for the CHILD. Two separate issues, the women cannot legally sign away the child's rights for support.

I agree, that doesn't make sense. On the otherhand I find it hard to believe that the state NEVER provides support for kids when the mother has no CLUE who the father is. Surely the state can't let kids starve just because the are illegitimate.

Why didn't they tell the state they didn't know the name of the father?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back