AL - Brian Ogle, 17, brutally beaten, Sylacauga, 30 Sep 2016 *Arrests*

How do she know that's why he was attacked?

For whatever reason - a fractured skull! Scary! :(

I hope he'll be okay soon.

Oh yeah, we've seen how these things go. There's going to be quite a backlash.

No other students were believed to be involved in the attack, Chief of Police Kelley B. Johnson said, calling on community members to avoid posting “negative things” on social media as the investigation continues.

[video=twitter;783030747640856576]https://twitter.com/JonWVTM13/status/783030747640856576[/video]

Okay, so the only other thing I've been able to find with new information so far is this:

I know that many of you are aware of the horrible incident that occurred last night in our city. I want the people of Sylacauga to know that the Sylacauga Police Department is going to do everything in its power to bring the people responsible for the assault on the SHS student to justice. SPD investigators have been working since the initial call to gather statements and evidence to try and get the evidence needed to make a case against the perpetrators involved in such a senseless act of violence.

I have been in contact with SHS/BOE officials and I want all of the parents and students to know that full time SPD presence in our High School and Middle School will be strengthened starting Monday, October 3, 2016 and per Dr. Todd Freeman, will continue until all of the tensions are calmed.

SPD has been able to identify persons of interest and have interviewed some. At this time there is no evidence from witnesses or any others involved that SHS students, with the exception of the victim, were involved in the assault. I do ask for all of your help in trying to relieve tensions in our city by not posting negative things on social media. I understand that some of you are concerned that SPD or BOE will "sweep this under the rug," but any intelligent person should see that that is not possible. I am not one to "sweep" any crime under anything much less a crime as violent as this.

I now ask everyone to pray for the 17 year old victim of this assault, his family, the officers and investigators working the case and while your at it say a little prayer for our community as a whole so that maybe we can get past this and be a stronger community because of it. I call on our Pastors and community leaders to step up and help us bridge this divide between the black and white races. It will take us all make a difference.
Kelley B. Johnson
Chief of Police

In my high school there were fights nearly every week. One kid had his head smashed into a car repeatedly until he died (he was a friend of mine - a super sweet guy) and anyway, I've always been freaked out and scared and sad about fights in school.

https://www.facebook.com/Sylacauga-Police-Department-213356012016877/

Update.

Authorities and Sylacauga school district administrators said Ogle, who is white, was beaten Friday night after a high school homecoming game.

Sylacauga Police Chief Kelley Johnson called the assault a “senseless act of violence.”

He said in a statement that he knows some citizens are concerned that the police department or the state’s department of education will “sweep this under the rug.”

“But any intelligent person should see that that is not possible,” Johnson said. “I am not one to ‘sweep’ any crime under anything much less a crime as violent as this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...says-its-a-hate-crime/?utm_term=.2496ea47af71

ogle.jpg

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polop...mage.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_750/ogle.jpg

I've seen some of the things he posted and while his views politically had some racist undertones and gave a very condescending attitude towards the related issues.

I hope he wasn't one to provoke anyone. I wish a speedy recovery, violence is never the answer

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/0...-over-black-lives-matter-post-police-say.html

An Alabama high school student was attacked after a homecoming football game allegedly over the teen’s social media post about the Black Lives Matter protests.

Sylacauga Police Chief Kelley Johnson said that witnesses told police the incident was sparked over the post. Johnson said one or more black teens are believed to be behind the assault of 17-year-old Brian Ogle, according to WBRC-TV.

Police haven’t released a motive, but said the attack appeared to be racially motivated and the social media post could have been a factor.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/0...-over-black-lives-matter-post-police-say.html

An Alabama high school student was attacked after a homecoming football game allegedly over the teen’s social media post about the Black Lives Matter protests.

Sylacauga Police Chief Kelley Johnson said that witnesses told police the incident was sparked over the post. Johnson said one or more black teens are believed to be behind the assault of 17-year-old Brian Ogle, according to WBRC-TV.

Police haven’t released a motive, but said the attack appeared to be racially motivated and the social media post could have been a factor.

Sylacauga police chief: As few as five or as many as 60 responsible for teen's beating"

This is exactly what Kelley Johnson was talking about when he said:

I do ask for all of your help in trying to relieve tensions in our city by not posting negative things on social media.

Police haven’t determined a clear motive, but Johnson said it appeared to be racially motivated and social media could be a factor.

He said Brian was singled out and it was obviously a targeted attack and they are speaking to suspects. The race of the suspects hasn't been released yet because I'm sure once it has - if they are black - the town is going to erupt.

One rumour gets started (twitter? other students?), one untraceable quote and people lose their minds, post crap all over SM and next thing you know there are fights at the high school. It's irresponsible for all these media outlets to pick it up from one (where I was unable to find anything resembling a direct quote) and spread it around as if it's something he actually said.

You can check here for updates directly from the Sylacauga Police Department:
https://www.facebook.com/Sylacauga-Police-Department-213356012016877/

I've seen some of the things he posted and while his views politically had some racist undertones and gave a very condescending attitude towards the related issues.

I hope he wasn't one to provoke anyone. I wish a speedy recovery, violence is never the answer

No, it's not. And regardless of him sharing a few provocative posts he seems like a really nice kid.

No, it's not. And regardless of him sharing a few provocative posts he seems like a really nice kid.

Yes he is entitled to an opinion, and yes his post were provocative , but what I saw posted were definitely condescending, had racist undertones, and looked to marginalized the plight of african americans in the country today.

His posts were not "PRO- BLUE LIVES MATTER" like media is stating, look at what he posted, it is Anti - Black Lives Matter. The point of those post are to put down the BLM movement that wants to bring social equality to african americans.

IMHO, people who are vocal about being anti-BLM tend to be provokers and aggressive to make their opinion known. I know they did not say it but I won't rule out an aggressive argument that escalated, I feel that is more likely than targeting because of 2 Facebook posts. We hear one side and obviously it's going to be one sided.

Violence is not the answer, ever, Police and the community need mutual respect and understanding, we need to work towards that.

Yes he is entitled to an opinion, and yes his post were provocative , but what I saw posted were definitely condescending, had racist undertones, and looked to marginalized the plight of african americans in the country today.

His posts were not "PRO- BLUE LIVES MATTER" like media is stating, look at what he posted, it is Anti - Black Lives Matter. The point of those post are to put down the BLM movement that wants to bring social equality to african americans.

IMHO, people who are vocal about being anti-BLM tend to be provokers and aggressive to make their opinion known. I know they did not say it but I won't rule out an aggressive argument that escalated, I feel that is more likely than targeting because of 2 Facebook posts. We hear one side and obviously it's going to be one sided.

Violence is not the answer, ever, Police and the community need mutual respect and understanding, we need to work towards that.

Some of those posts I saw we wouldn't be able to share here - which shows how they're weren't simply Blue Lives Matter (which is shared freely here). The only cases I know of students being targeted like this are related to being LGBTQ, racial minorities, Muslims, gangs... I'm really curious to know who the suspects are and what the motivation was. (The fights at my school? Oddly enough often related to sports events.)

More than anything I hope he comes out of this okay.

Note: I am NOT blaming him for what happened. Not at all. People should be able to post whatever they want on SM or say whatever they want (while not in school) and not have to worry about physical confrontations for it.

Some of those posts I saw we wouldn't be able to share here - which shows how they're weren't simply Blue Lives Matter (which is shared freely here). The only cases I know of students being targeted like this are related to being LGBTQ, racial minorities, Muslims, gangs... I'm really curious to know who the suspects are and what the motivation was. (The fights at my school? Oddly enough often related to sports events.)

More than anything I hope he comes out of this okay.

Note: I am NOT blaming him for what happened. Not at all. People should be able to post whatever they want on SM or say whatever they want (while not in school) and not have to worry about physical confrontations for it.

100% agree, I want to see more than one side of the story

http://m.wsfa.com/wsfa/db_362159/con...tguid=z1UN3aoK

Ogle's mom said her son suffered a fractured skull. She also says he was attacked because he had shown support for police in response to some students wearing Black Lives Matter shirts at school.

Im wondering if this was just badly written but it seems like there may have been a back and forward between two sides and less a "jump" because of facebook posts.

If a group of people attack a single unarmed person, yes they are "jumped". I hope these people all get caught and prosecuted to the full extent of the law for committing this HATE crime. We shant get beat up for our views. I pray Brian recovers. This racial tension is getting crazy.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back