Dubai - UAE imprisons Norwegian woman for reporting she was raped

time

Reaction score
I am so upset by this story

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-woman-raped-jailed-extramarital-sex/2554045/
A Dubai court has sentenced a Norwegian woman to 16 months in jail for having sex outside of marriage after she reported being raped, according to news reports from the United Arab Emirates

...For a rape conviction, United Arab Emirates law requires either a confession or four adult male witnesses to the attack.

...In December, a 28-year-old British woman who reported being kidnapped and gang-raped by three men in Dubai was found guilty of drinking alcohol without a license. She was fined $257.

Three years ago, an Abu Dhabi court sentenced an 18-year-old Emirati woman to a year in prison for illicit sex after she reported that six men had gang-raped her.

In 2008, an Australian woman managing a United Arab Emirates resort reported being brutally gang-raped while unconscious because she had been drugged. She was convicted of illegal sex outside marriage and sentenced to 11 months in prison, in addition to one month for drinking
alcohol.

And so why would any WOMAN want to go to a resort there?
AND why would any sick man NOT want to go to a resort there?
Ridiculous !

Denmark has even gone out officially and begged any international victims of rape in Dubai not to report it in the country!!

Well too bad the publicity doesn't shame people from spending their money in a backwards caveman era country !

How generous of them!!!!

No woman should visit that country or buy anything from there until they change their laws on rape.

I think they should face sanctions from other countries as long as this is their law.

I have to speak up for Dubai here.

If someone calls the police in the US to complain that their drug dealer short changed them on illegal narcotics we would all expect the person that complained to be arrested.

Why??? Because they were doing something illegal just as this woman was!

Technically speaking Dubai is a Muslim country that practices Sharia Law. Being alone with a non-related male in a hotel room and drinking is ILLEGAL according to Sharia Law. This is the equivalent to running to the police about a drug deal gone bad. No sympathy from the legal authorities.

They soften the rules for foreigners BUT if you plan to cry foul and want their justice system to take your side over there you better NOT have been doing something illegal when the situation turned against you.

The woman should have been smart enough to know that! I do not feel sorry for her. If she wanted to get drunk with a Sudanese coworker in a hotel room she should have had enough sense to realize she can't claim "date rape" and run to the authorities without expecting that something bad might happen.

When in Rome....do as the Romans, and stay out of Muslim countries if you can't bother to learn about and obey their laws (or at least keep it a secret if you break them).

If someone calls the police in the US to complain that their drug dealer short changed them on illegal narcotics we would all expect the person that complained to be arrested.

Technically speaking Dubai is a Muslim country that practices Sharia Law. Being alone with a non-related male in a hotel room and drinking is ILLEGAL according to Sharia Law. This is the equivalent to running to the police about a drug deal gone bad. No sympathy from the legal authorities.

They soften the rules for foreigners BUT if you plan to cry foul and want their justice system to take your side over there you better NOT have been doing something illegal when the situation turned against you.

The woman should have been smart enough to know that! I do not feel sorry for her. If she wanted to get drunk with a Sudanese coworker in a hotel room she should have had enough sense to realize she can't claim "date rape" and run to the authorities without expecting that something bad might happen.

When in Rome....do as the Romans, and stay out of Muslim countries if you can't obey their laws (or at least keep it a secret when you do break them).

Well, thank you m'dear, maybe I should have read more about the whole thingee. That definitely does put a whole new slant on it.

My opinion only

Your statement is very accurate Sonya610 regarding Dubai.

I do feel bad for this woman though, I would not want that to happen to me. Then again, I would never drink in any hotel room in any country with any co-worker or anyone else - the consequences are a gamble no matter where you are.

Hopefully many will learn from this.

When in Rome....do as the Romans, and stay out of Muslim countries if you can't bother to learn about and obey their laws (or at least keep it a secret if you break them).

I can partially understand your stance. I lived in what was basically a Muslim country, but Sharia Law was only inflicted upon Muslims and was generally not carried out by police. Even there though, nonMuslims were stalked and there was sympathy for Sharia Law. It's very intimidating even if it is not against the law to drink or have sex outside of marriage in that country.

However, in the UAE, there is more to the story than just you are not supposed to be alone with a man or drink alcohol (were the men also charged?). From my quote above:

In 2008, an Australian woman managing a United Arab Emirates resort reported being brutally gang-raped while unconscious because she had been drugged. She was convicted of illegal sex outside marriage and sentenced to 11 months in prison, in addition to one month for drinking
alcohol.
And, their laws essentially make it impossible to convict anyone for rape which IS barbaric:

For a rape conviction, United Arab Emirates law requires either a confession or four adult male witnesses to the attack.
And, here if a prostitute is brutally attacked, it is unlikely she will be even be charged with prostitution by reporting let alone, let's say, underage drinking.

However, in the UAE, there is more to the story than just you are not supposed to be alone with a man or drink alcohol (were the men also charged?). From my quote above:

Yes the guy was charged and imprisoned too (for adultery in his case, he was married). When the Prince over-ruled her conviction then they had to let the guy go too.

The four male witness rule also applies to adultery accusations. Either someone confesses to committing the crime OR the accuser has to produce witnesses.

In her case she "confessed" to having had premarital sex but the rape portion of it could not be proven because there were no witnesses and the man did not confess to raping her.

It is a shame the young woman was so naive when she decided to go there. Generally the crime rates are EXTREMELY LOW in those wealthy Arab countries (and also Iran) but you have to be smart and educate yourself on the cultural and legal differences.

The law is barbaric and I still stand behind that. No woman is safe from being raped since it is being basically sanctioned. More incidents like this and media coverage might help to inform those who go to Dubai, but they do not exactly advertise their laws and instead present themselves as somewhat of a resort. The media could help cover this as well as travel warnings about being raped. I also think sanctions should be put against these countries for human rights violations.

It also was unclear whether authorities would keep the 13-month sentence against Dalelv's alleged attacker, identified as a 33-year-old Sudanese man who was charged with consuming alcohol and sex outside marriage. While alcohol is widely available in Dubai's hotels and restaurants, public drunkenness can incur serious charges.

In London, a human rights group monitoring UAE affairs urged the authorities to change laws to "ensure victims are protected, feel comfortable reporting crimes and are able to fairly pursue justice".

Rori Donaghy, a spokesman for the Emirates Centre for Human Rights, said: "While we are pleased that Marte can now return home to Norway, her pardon still suggests that she was somehow guilty of a crime.

"Until laws are reformed, victims of sexual violence in the UAE will continue to suffer in this way and we will likely see more cases such as this one."

In the UAE, as in some other countries using Islamic law, a rape conviction can require either a confession or the testimony of four adult male witnesses.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/22/dubai-rape-case-woman-pardoned

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sugarheart27