Dallas police delayed NFL player as relative died

Dark Knight

Reaction score
PLANO, Texas – A police officer pulled over an NFL player rushing to see his dying mother-in-law, drew his gun, threatened the player with jail and held him in the hospital parking lot as she died, officials said Thursday.

Officer Robert Powell told his commanders he drew his gun but did not point it, Dallas police spokesman Lt. Andy Harvey said. That was disputed by the wife of Houston Texans running back Ryan Moats.

"He was pointing a gun at me as soon as I got out of the car," Tamishia Moats told The Dallas Morning News, which first reported that Powell unholstered his sidearm.

More at link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090326/ap_on_re_us/nfl_player_stopped

That is awful! I am soooooo glad his wife did not listen to the officer and ran to be by her mothers side.

That is so sad! I'm glad his wife did get to be with her mom - she was the most important person, I'm sure. I just cannot imagine having to deal with this @$$hole when my mother was dying - I probably wouldn't have been as patient as the police chief says they were.

This officer's behavior is inexcusable and shocking since he HAD to know it was being taped. Did he really think that was okay? What a MENACE! Pulling his gun and waving it around on a traffic stop, even when he realized they were just rushing to the hospital!

I'm so glad that it was taped and now this officer has to live with the fact that the whole world knows he's a bully and a jerk. I'll bet he gets a tiny taste of what discrimination feels like.

And he deserves it.

(Sorry, I am in a MOOD today. I may have to come back and edit this when I am more rational.)

I am very pro police. However this sounds very abusive. If the car stopped in the parking lot of the hospital and hopsital security vertified he really was going to bedside of a dying relative........seems like a bully.

I'm with the police on this 100%.

Criminal runs a red light, leads officer on pursuit, officer calls for backup, criminal finally pulls over after 1 minute in a parking lot. When questioned, driver does not have proof of insurance. Passanger jumps out of the vehicle, police officer pulls gun, passanger flees scene ignoring police orders.

Sorry, but i have no problem with the officer reacting the way he did.

When the other officer confirmed that she was going to see the dying mother, I have no problem with the officer saying that he was almost done. The lady was dying for a long time, 5 minutes usually doesn't make the difference. The officer still had the responsibility to go over everything with the guy and explain that even in such circumstances the law applies. The policeman should have also explained that a lot of people can get hurt if you intentionally flee from the police.

Thank God for this!

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...crime/stories/032609dnmetcopstop.3e9c080.html

“When we in the command staff reviewed the tapes,” he said, “we were embarrassed, disappointed — it’s hard to find the right words and still be professional in my role as a police chief.”

The chief also praised Moats and his family for how they handled the officer’s behavior.

“They exercised extraordinary patience, restraint, dealing with the behavior of our officer,” Kunkle said. “At no time did Mr. Moats identify himself as an NFL football player or expect any kind of special consideration. He handled himself very, very well.”

I know officers have rules to go by but there has to be some compassion too.

I'm with the police on this 100%.

Criminal runs a red light, leads officer on pursuit, officer calls for backup, criminal finally pulls over after 1 minute in a parking lot. When questioned, driver does not have proof of insurance. Passanger jumps out of the vehicle, police officer pulls gun, passanger flees scene ignoring police orders.

Sorry, but i have no problem with the officer reacting the way he did.

When the other officer confirmed that she was going to see the dying mother, I have no problem with the officer saying that he was almost done. The lady was dying for a long time, 5 minutes usually doesn't make the difference. The officer still had the responsibility to go over everything with the guy and explain that even in such circumstances the law applies. The policeman should have also explained that a lot of people can get hurt if you intentionally flee from the police.

The Chief of Police wasn't with this officer 100% - he has apologized for this officer's behavior.

Hmmm. interesting video.

Ok, so I have to take back the fleeing comments and the way they jumped out of the car. I think those were obvious enough that he wasn't trying to harm anyone. He did run a bunch of lights and stop signs. I understand the cop trying to get him to chill out, and I get Ryan's trying desparately to explain the situation. It is an unfortunate situation. Perhaps he should have let him go around minute 7 when he calmed down, but definately when they said she code blued. I can see both sides of the story.

What an unfortunate event for all involved.

This cop lacks critical thinking. Obviously a car with hazard lights on, rushing to the hospital and parking in a hospital parking lot is not a reason to pull out a gun.

BTW, the cop showed no remorse when watching the video with his bosses, and says he did everything appropriately. His reaction shocked his bosses. I hope he's fired.

Hmmm. interesting video.

Ok, so I have to take back the fleeing comments and the way they jumped out of the car. I think those were obvious enough that he wasn't trying to harm anyone. He did run a bunch of lights and stop signs. I understand the cop trying to get him to chill out, and I get Ryan's trying desparately to explain the situation. It is an unfortunate situation. Perhaps he should have let him go around minute 7 when he calmed down, but definately when they said she code blued. I can see both sides of the story.

What an unfortunate event for all involved.

Even the police chief agreed that he ran those lights and stop signs after checking to make sure that no one was coming. Kind of like ambulances and police cars do all the time in an emergency. I don't know what this town is like, but I have certainly been in our quiet-after-dark end of town and felt ridiculous sitting at a red light when there is no one awake for miles! In these circumstances, I would have felt completely justified going through with caution.

When the other officer confirmed the story and he just kept talking, that shows a bully on a power play who has no empathy for others or reason. He knew he was being taped and either didn't care or didn't realize how completely out of bounds he was. This man is a menace to the force and will probably kill someone if he is not removed and retrained.

This cop lacks critical thinking. Obviously a car with hazard lights on, rushing to the hospital and parking in a hospital parking lot is not a reason to pull out a gun.

BTW, the cop showed no remorse when watching the video with his bosses, and says he did everything appropriately. His reaction shocked his bosses. I hope he's fired.

Exactly! And his lack of understanding about what is wrong is a huge red flag about whether or not this man has the appropriate judgment to be carrying a weapon and badge. He should be fired immediately or retrained on a job where no weapon is required (and preferably no interaction with the public).

They should be reassessing his psych profile and looking into his background. This man has something seriously wrong with his head.

I am also normally way on the side of LE, and I always give the benefit of the doubt for the danger of a traffic stop, but this is totally over the line.

I think an 'us vs them' attitude has become predominant among a lot of police officers in this country. It always was this way, but it has gotten worse, not sure why. I live in a medium sized city with a police department that thinks it runs the city. Thier union is running ads bashing canidates they dont like in the current city election campaign. They also got rid of the police auditor, so, no civilian oversight.

And he is still getting paid! The man should be fired immediately! What more proof do they need? He has no heart. He is definitely not there to help.

police pulled his gun. criminal flees scene. why didn't police shoot them?

i wish ryan would have ignored the jerk and went with his wife where he belonged. cop would have been standing alone holding his gun.

anyone else think the cop sounded drunk or stoned? i sure did.

The poor guy was trying so hard to tell this SOB. I hope his career is done and on top of it has some kind of conviction for this. They lost a moment you can never get back and he couldn't be there for his own wife either.

NFL player or not, he should sue the butt off the cop too and make sure this man stays in the poor house for quite a few years. Just awful.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back