CA - Hasanni Campbell, 5, Oakland, 10 Aug 2009 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, no Amber Alert. No description of abductor or vehicle...the same reason that most of them are never issued.
Scuse me while I momentarily see red over that.

The Amber Alert can't be called without some idea of who took him. That is the structure of the Amber Alert - the AA is mostly used, I believe, in cases of non-custodial parental abductions, and are not very effective in disappearances like this one. Otherwise, everyone would get flooded with notices of the child's name and picture, but not much else of value - info which the media already puts out there.

Perhaps another code is in order - Amber for abductions in which a kidnapper vehicle/description/etc is available, and another one for general missing kids.

Especially with leg braces on, which I assume are quite visible...People would be stopping him to ask where his mother was, etc.
Hi! this is exactly what I was thinking last night ~ if he'd wandered off from the car, someone would've noticed, and most people would think he was lost or something and try to help him. MOO

[/center]

bbm- they specifically stated it was a newer BMW that they impounded, my guess would be that it has GPS and that unit shows a stop at one or both of these locations. He may have scouted out the first one and then settled on the second. They have been at the park for a loooong time. They have a lead to spend valuable early manhours doing that, it is not random.
I agree and do believe LE recovered something very valuable from the BMW. Hopefully the car will lead them to Hassani, although I'm afraid the outcome won't be good. :cry: MOO

Absolutely !!
In a similar vein, I notice how LE also continues to say that "Hassani was last seen in the BMW parked behind the shoe store".....Of course, no one saw Hassani in the car, this is just the fiance's story which I am sure LE is not buying into.

They also are feigning no particular reason for searching the park, just that it is Hassani's neighborhood so they need to look at it. good work, LE!
I agree ~ good for LE! When you think about it though, if they really believed his story that Hassani disappeared from behind the store, there is no reason to be searching the neighborhood park. Perp's probably too dumb to figure this out though! :) MOO

I agree and do believe LE recovered something very valuable from the BMW. Hopefully the car will lead them to Hassani, although I'm afraid the outcome won't be good. :cry: MOO

I agree - and am wondering if someone's story wasn't debunked by a security camera behind the building and that's why the search has been concentrated where it has. My husband works in a "similar type" area and before I picked him up from work this eve, on a hunch, I drove around to the back of the building and lo and behold = I counted at least 6 security cameras covering maybe 12 entrances - and *this is Missouri. I'd think in CA - with a busier area - there'd be more?

Then again - this pending adoption puts a possible twist into things....I never thought I'd be hoping for a kidnapping by a natural parent - but if that *were the case then that would mean little Hassani is still alive and that there's still hope...

(I know that probably came out all wrong - but hopefully ya'll know what I mean!) :footinmouth:

The Amber Alert can't be called without some idea of who took him. That is the structure of the Amber Alert - the AA is mostly used, I believe, in cases of non-custodial parental abductions, and are not very effective in disappearances like this one. Otherwise, everyone would get flooded with notices of the child's name and picture, but not much else of value - info which the media already puts out there.

Perhaps another code is in order - Amber for abductions in which a kidnapper vehicle/description/etc is available, and another one for general missing kids.

I agree I can't understand why this hasn't been done already. I can't believe another child is missing and we are still talking about a new alert being way past due. Someone should really start keeping a list of all these lives lost because their criteria didn't meet that which is needed for the Amber Alert.

And just to add....one child on that list is one too many!

I agree - and am wondering if someone's story wasn't debunked by a security camera behind the building and that's why the search has been concentrated where it has. My husband works in a "similar type" area and before I picked him up from work this eve, on a hunch, I drove around to the back of the building and lo and behold = I counted at least 6 security cameras covering maybe 12 entrances - and *this is Missouri. I'd think in CA - with a busier area - there'd be more?

Then again - this pending adoption puts a possible twist into things....I never thought I'd be hoping for a kidnapping by a natural parent - but if that *were the case then that would mean little Hassani is still alive and that there's still hope...

(I know that probably came out all wrong - but hopefully ya'll know what I mean!) :footinmouth:
That's a good point ~ now I am wondering too if there are any security cameras back there where the car was parked. I also would really like to know what year and model BMW this is since some have a type of GPS that actually does track where the car has been. I remember that being brought up from the Entwistle case. I do understand what you mean by a natural parent kidnapping him ~ yes, at least that would mean that there is more of a chance he's still alive and well. :) MOO

Biological mom of missing boy talks

http://cbs5.com/video/?id=53961@kpix.dayport.com

ETA: It appears mom has her own disabilities. She has CP as well.

If you go to the url that SuziQ has in the above post, and look to the right of the video, there are other videos. Click on the one titled "Raw Video: Foster Dad of Missing Oakland Boy." It is a 17+ minute interview of the foster dad. Very interesting. He seems very intelligent and well-spoken, and IMO, believable. He corrects the media about the "braces" that Hassinni wears. I also watched the video of the aunt (foster mom) and she, to me is less believable than dad. Lots of crying and carrying on, but I didn't see a single tear. I just don't know what to think.

Plus dad is now willing to take a poly, but aunt (mom) isn't because of her pregnancy?...doesn't a poly only measure your respirations and blood pressure, etc.? How could that harm a fetus?

The Dad video moves around as newer videos are posted. It is from Aug. 12. 2009, 7:07 pm PT.

Checking in on little Hassani and he is not found yet ...... goodness gracious this is turning into a puzzler. If somebody tried to take him from the car one would think that he would have made enough noise to create a commotion - unless it was somebody he knew of course. The "fiance"/"dad"/"foster dad" whatever the flavour of the hour is - there was one report that he was headed to class - do we know if he has a regular job/business as well or how he is paying for a house (in his name I believe) and a BMW?
Okay, to cut to the chase are there drug dealings involved here where Hassani may have gotten caught in the middle?

ETA: Do we know if JC may have been arrested for drug possession in 2002?

If you go to the url that SuziQ has in the above post, and look to the right of the video, there are other videos. Click on the one titled "Raw Video: Foster Dad of Missing Oakland Boy." It is a 17+ minute interview of the foster dad. Very interesting. He seems very intelligent and well-spoken, and IMO, believable. He corrects the media about the "braces" that Hassinni wears. I also watched the video of the aunt (foster mom) and she, to me is less believable than dad. Lots of crying and carrying on, but I didn't see a single tear. I just don't know what to think.

Plus dad is now willing to take a poly, but aunt (mom) isn't because of her pregnancy?...doesn't a poly only measure your respirations and blood pressure, etc.? How could that harm a fetus?

The Dad video moves around as newer videos are posted. It is from Aug. 12. 2009, 7:07 pm PT.

If I am not mistaken, they do not give polygraphs as a general rule to pregnant women because the mom's physical changes in pregnancy in general can alter the results of the exam. also, depending on the gestational age of the baby, the baby its self can effect the results, especially if the baby is moving.

I would love to see the results of foster dad's polygraph. Wonder if he will pass?

Checking in on little Hassani and he is not found yet ...... goodness gracious this is turning into a puzzler. If somebody tried to take him from the car one would think that he would have made enough noise to create a commotion - unless it was somebody he knew of course. The "fiance"/"dad"/"foster dad" whatever the flavour of the hour is - there was one report that he was headed to class - do we know if he has a regular job/business as well or how he is paying for a house (in his name I believe) and a BMW?
Okay, to cut to the chase are there drug dealings involved here where Hassani may have gotten caught in the middle?

ETA: Do we know if JC may have been arrested for drug possession in 2002?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/08/12/BA2U197IUU.DTL

The computer engineer said he had left the boy while he unlocked a door to the store, and that when he returned, Hasanni was gone.

So foster dad does have a profession, but was he taking a class or perhaps teaching one?

I just got to see the video of aunt and foster dad and I wasn't impressed with either.

She said her biggest fear is that someone took him ? Ok, if he had wandered off, IMO he would have been found by now.
If I had a child missing, I don't think I'd invite the media to my home. I'd be parked at the police station or out looking. I would make a public plea if directed by LE.
WTH am I talking about ? IDK how I'd be acting. Knowing myself, I'd probably be on my knees begging whoever had him to bring him home in between sobs. I really can't bring myself to think about something like this happening to one of mine.
But, I don't trust them.

FBI search home of Hassani Campbell
August 12, 5:16 PM
<snipped>
Hassani was last seen with his aunt, Jennifer Campbell&#8217;s fiancé, Louis Ross, 38, who is the boy's caretaker. Ross said he left Hassani sitting in his unlocked BMW, parked outside a shoe store, Shuz of Rockridge, where the boy&#8217;s aunt works. The couple aslo care for Hassani&#8217;s 1-year-old sister.

On Wednesday, police, the FBI and search and rescue dogs searched the Oakland shoe store and Hassani&#8217;s Roxie Terrace home in Fremont, Calif., where they collected bags of evidence.

The boy&#8217;s godmother told the media she knew of no problems in the family and does not believe Hassani&#8217;s foster parents&#8212;his aunt and her fiancé&#8212;had anything to do with his disappearance.

Hassani&#8217;s sister has been taken into the custody of Child Protective Services while the investigation is underway.

Hassani suffers from cerebral palsy and wears braces; therefore, authorities believe he could not have walked away from the vehicle on his own.

Hassani is African American with brown hair and brown eyes and was wearing a gray sweatshirt and gray pants when he was last seen. His leg braces are decorated with a Spiderman design.

Hassani Campbell, 5, has been missing since Monday afternoon when he was last seen in his foster father's car outside. Campbell has cerebral palsy and wears braces on his legs to help him move.
Hassani_Campbell(4).jpg

Article:
http://www.examiner.com/x-1168-Crime-Examiner~y2009m8d12-FBI-search-home-of-Hassani-Campbell
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Foster Father Of Missing 5-Year-Old Submits To Polygraph Test
Posted: 10:44 pm PDT August 10, 2009
Updated: 7:08 pm PDT August 12, 2009
<snipped>
Both foster parents were requested to take a polygraph test regarding their version of the events leading up to the disappearance of Hassani Campbell, but only his foster father Louis Ross consented to undergo the test the day after the couple Fremont home was extensively searched for evidence.

Hassani&#8217;s foster mother Jennifer Campbell is six months pregnant and reportedly declined the test out of concerns for her unborn child.

More than 48 hours have passed since the little boy disappeared. Ross reportedly left him standing beside his car in a driveway behind the College Avenue shoe store that Hassani&#8217;s foster mother Jennifer Campbell managed

Ross said he took the boy's 18-month-old sister with him as he went inside the store to drop her off. When he returned to the car just minutes later to get the boy, he was gone.

Store owner John Riker said he was surprised to learn that Campbell ever had her foster children with her at work.

"Jen's six months pregnant, She has an 18-month-old and a handicapped son," said Riker. "This is not a day care center; it's a shoe store."

However, Riker said he didn&#8217;t have a problem with Campbell having the children at the store on rare occasions and described her as &#8220;a good mom.&#8221;

"I can't imagine any foul play from her end," said Riker.

Police told KTVU that -- despite combing the Rockridge area for witnesses two nights running -- they still have not found anyone who saw Ross with the little boy before he disappeared.

On Wednesday, the foster parents did not open the door of their home in Fremont that police searched the previous night, nor did they return phone calls.

Fremont police spent Wednesday morning searching with dogs within a mile of the house for any sign of Hasani Campbell. They looked in parks, drainage ditches, abandoned houses and dumpsters.

One officer told KTVU police have alerted landfills in Alameda County to be alert for a body. Hasani Campbell is just three feet tall and weighs only 30 pounds.

"These things can go in a variety of directions," said Oakland police Sgt. Ray Backman. "We're hoping and praying it doesn't go off into the direction we're no longer trying to find a missing child but to recover a body. That is our worst nightmare."

VIDEO REPORT~ OAKLAND: Missing Five-Year-Old's Foster Parents To Take Lie-Detector Tests
http://www.ktvu.com/video/20377981/index.html

Article:
http://www.ktvu.com/news/20353090/detail.html
Missing boy's foster dad pleads for his return
Wednesday, August 12, 2009
<snipped>
(08-12) 20:03 PDT FREMONT -- The foster father of a missing 5-year-old boy with cerebral palsy pleaded for the child's safe return Wednesday, saying the family is going through a "nightmare beyond belief" that includes scrutiny from police and the FBI.

Louis Welton Ross of Fremont said he and his fiancée, the boy's aunt, have cooperated "100 percent" with authorities who are trying to find Hasanni Campbell.

An attorney consulting with the couple said Ross took a polygraph test Wednesday, one day after police and FBI investigators with search dogs went through the family's home for several hours.

"We were not involved in my son's disappearance in any way," Ross said. "We are cooperating with the police and with the FBI 100 percent."

Campbell, 33, who is six months pregnant, remained upstairs in their home during the interview. Relatives said she gained custody of Hasanni after her sister, the boy's mother, was unable to care for him.

Polygraph test
Ross said he would not talk about the details of the investigation, saying he wanted to make sure he did nothing to jeopardize it. He would not comment on the account by attorney John Burris of Oakland that he had taken a polygraph test Wednesday after initially refusing.

Burris said he was consulting with the couple and had urged them to cooperate with authorities.

"I suggested to them, they need to be candid and truthful with the police," Burris said. "The police should look at them - they need to rule him and her out."

No sightings
After he reported Hasanni missing, Ross said, police seemed to blame the family first. Authorities removed Hasanni's 1-year-old sister and put her in another foster home, he said.

"We were very upset," he said. "We were dealing with a loss of a child, and the other child was taken from us.

"All of a sudden it was like we were thrown against the wall," Ross said. "We had to prove we were not responsible - but our son is out there missing. We cannot be part of the search."

He said family members have distributed flyers in the Rockridge area with Hasanni's photo and other information. The family did not go to the media immediately because "our first and primary concern is the return of our son," Ross said.

Grandmother's account
Campbell's mother, Pamela Clark, 62, of San Francisco, said she doubted Ross or Campbell were responsible for Hasanni's disappearance. Ross, she said, is "a very professional man. He has a good job, he is very hard-working, a good provider."

Clark added, "I don't think the family's involved at all."

Campbell became Hasanni's legal guardian after her sister, 25-year-old Shemika Campbell of San Francisco, could not take care of him, relatives said.

Clark said Shemika Campbell is "just devastated" by the boy's disappearance.

Court records show that San Francisco officials sued Shemika Campbell and Hasanni's father, Ronald Hughes, starting in 2005, claiming they were unable to support Hasanni.

The actions, one against Hughes and the other against Campbell, were apparently resolved last year with a default judgment entered on behalf of the city. They could not be reached for comment.

View Images:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2009/08/12/BA2U197IUU.DTL&o=

RAW VIDEO: PD Oakland County Police Briefing On Missing Boy 08/11/09 5:08PM
Oakland Police held a briefing Tuesday afternoon about the search for 5-year-old Hasanni Campbell, a boy who went missing after being left in a car in the city's Rockridge neighborhood.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2009/08/12/BA2U197IUU.DTL&o=1

Read more:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/08/12/BA2U197IUU.DTL#ixzz0O2KHUf9z

Article:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/08/12/BA2U197IUU.DTL
Missing E. Bay Boy's Foster Dad Speaks Out
Aug 12, 2009 7:21 pm US/Pacific
<snipped>
The foster father of a a missing 5-year-old boy with cerebral palsy made an emotional plea Wednesday evening for the boy's return and denied any involvement in his disappearance.

"We love him and we miss him and we won't stop looking for him," Louis Ross, foster father of missing Hasanni Campbell, told CBS 5 in an interview from his Fremont home.

Ross' comments came as the Federal Bureau of Investigation and local police conducted searches in the Oakland Hills on Wednesday related to the boy's disappearance. On Tuesday, police and the FBI had searched Ross' home.

Authorities declined to comment on the searches and Ross denied a report that investigators had seized a computer from his home.

Earlier Wednesday, prominent Bay Area civil rights attorney John Burris said Ross had agreed to take a polygraph test as requested by police.

Ross later told CBS 5 that while he consulted with Burris, he had not hired the lawyer to represent him. Ross also maintained that he was "cooperating 100 percent" with police and the FBI.

The foster father was the last person to see Hasanni, who has been missing since Monday afternoon.

RAW VIDEO: Foster Dad Speaks Of Missing Boy 08/12/09@7:07PM~17:09
http://cbs5.com/video/?id=53997@kpix.dayport.com

VIDEO: Search For Missing Boy Expands 08/12/09 6:05PM
http://cbs5.com/video/?id=53995@kpix.dayport.com

Article:
http://cbs5.com/local/oakland.missing.boy.2.1126255.html

:angel:

Foster father: Hasanni has no leg braces
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
<snipped>
The search for Hasanni was underway in the Rockridge area for the second day in a row. Wednesday evening, detectives were handing flyers out to people in the neighborhood hoping to find someone who saw something. So far, the last person to see Hasanni was his foster father.

Louis Ross, the foster father of the missing 5-year-old boy, spoke to ABC7 Wednesday night and said a critical description of his son is wrong. He says Hasanni does not wear metal leg braces.

"So that story being put out there& think about the time that was lost. People could be looking at our son and not realizing it was him because the key discriminator was metal leg braces," said Ross.

Both Hasanni's aunt and Ross are frustrated about not having any time to organize a search for Hasanni. They say they are too busy cooperating with police -- talking to them for 12 hours the first night, and 17 hours the next.

48 hours after Hasanni went missing the search for him continues. Search teams canvassed the Fremont neighborhood where Hasanni lives with his aunt Jennifer Campbell and her fiancé. Dogs searched a park near their house for the little boy's scent but investigators called off the search when they came up empty handed.

Oakland Police Sgt. Ray Blackman told ABC7 Wednesday that they did not have any solid leads or suspects.

Authorities towed the car. Police and FBI agents have searched the couple's Fremont home and the neighborhood surrounding the shoe store but some family members question the Ross's story.

"It appears somewhat strange and I don't know. So, I don't really want to speculate," said Hassani's godmother Regina Douglas.

VIDEO: FBI Search Freemont Home
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/video?id=6960645

VIDEO: FBI Searches Missing Boy's Home
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/video?id=6960432

VIDEO: Police Search Park, Home For Disabled Boy
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/video?id=6962291

VIDEO: FBI Joins Seach For Missing Boy
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/video?id=6960173

Article:
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&id=6961528
Boy with cerebral palsy is missing
Monday, August 10, 2009
<snipped>
On College Avenue, near Claremont in the Rockridge neighborhood of Oakland, police focused on the Shuz of Rockridge shoe store where it all began.

Police say the missing boy's father told them he pulled up to behind the building to let his son in the back door because the boy has cerebral palsy and can't walk well. The father reportedly walked around to the front of the store, went through it and when he opened the back door, the boy was missing from his car seat. Police say the boy's father called 911 around 4 p.m. and a search started immediately for Hasanni.

"There was a lot of foot traffic here and there was a lot of vehicle traffic. There's a business right here that had a lot of people outside and it's one of the first places I went and asked people if they saw him and they said, no they didn't see him. It's kind of notable to see a young man walking around with braces on his legs and nobody saw him," says Oakland Police Sgt. Richard Vierra.

Hasanni's father's car is being processed as part of the crime scene because police believe they could be dealing with an abduction. The initial search went on for over a solid seven hours on Monday night and the investigation continues.

VIDEO: Boy with cerebral palsy is missing
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/video?id=6958670

Article:
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&id=6958562

Nobody saw a 5 year old boy alone or resisting in the area? Makes me wonder if the boy was even in that car at that time. :(

I admit, I tend to jump to conclusions. However,

1. Why did he walk around back (or front) to open the door? Why didn't he drive to where he needed to open the door and the aunt could take the child from there. Hinky meter #1

Hinky meter #2 - I personally, in my humble opinion, do not believe the child was in the car. This was a busy strip mall (my understanding) and had a busy restaruant nearby. No one saw the child.

What did the caretaker do to the child? Did he take an LDT yet?

Best,

Mel

FBI, police search Fremont home of 5-year-old who went missing in Oakland
Posted: 08/11/2009 07:54:44 AM PDT
Updated: 08/11/2009 11:04:23 PM PDT
<snipped>
The FBI and police on Tuesday searched the Fremont home of a 5-year-old disabled boy who vanished from behind a Rockridge district shoe store Monday afternoon, and authorities took the boy's younger sister into protective custody Tuesday.

Louis Ross, the child's foster father, said he left the boy, Hassani Campbell, outside his newer-model BMW in the back parking lot of Shuz, a shoe store in the 6000 block of College Avenue, about 4:15 p.m. He was there to drop the boy's 1-year-old sister off with his fiance, Jennifer Campbell, the boy's aunt and foster mother, police said. Campbell manages the store.

Some Rockridge residents and store employees said they have doubts about Ross' story.

"There are just too many questions," said Paullet Barnes, who works at a Rockridge art gallery. Barnes said the parking lot is too out of the way for a random kidnapper looking to snatch a child.

The boy has lived with Ross, 38, and Campbell, 30, in Fremont since December because his 25-year-old biological mother, who lives in San Francisco, has drug and health problems, authorities said. Police have not spoken to the boy's father, who also lives in San Francisco.

FBI agents searched the couple's home in the 5900 block of Roxie Terrace and shooed away a reporter who knocked at the door. "We are working something (here)," an agent said.

Authorities said the couple, who reportedly are taking legal steps to adopt the boy, hired a lawyer Tuesday. The boy's 1-year-old sister was taken into protective custody Tuesday, authorities said.

Sean Fahey, who lives in an apartment in the same building as the Shuz store, said he saw Campbell sobbing after the boy went missing. "She was really scared," he said.

VIDEO: ABC7 newscast about missing boy
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/video?id=6958670

MAP: A= Hassani Campbell was last seen in a car parked near the Shuz of Rockridge.
http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=End+Address&saddr=37.847646,-122.252126

MAP: 1=Report: FBI agents searching Nordvik Park (08/12/09 9:00 A.M.)
http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=End+Address&saddr=37.847646,-122.252126

Article:
http://www.insidebayarea.com/oaklandtribune/localnews/ci_13036933
VIDEO: Calif Police: Searching for Missing Disabled Boy August 12, 2009
Police in Oakland, Calif. are looking for a 5-year-old boy with cerebral palsy who went missing in the city's Rockridge district. Hassani Campbell was last seen Monday afternoon sitting in a car parked outside a shoe store.
YouTube - Calif Police: Searching for Missing Disabled Boy

I saddened to hear that they haven't found Hassani yet. I also agree with CHICANA and others who stated they felt the Aunt seemed a bit fishy on the video. Her actions didn't seem all that suspicious just contrived like she is acting out a scenario the way she thinks it ought to be acted out. This might be just because she doesn't know what to think or because she knows more than she is letting on. I still believe that she cared more for Hassani than most in his short life, but I have to say that I was a bit disappointed seeing that video of her, it just didn't strike me as genuine...then again who am I to judge someones reaction in a time like this, hopefully I am wrong but I just didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling from her responses.

Does anybody know if LE will release the results of any lie detector tests? I assume the lawyer that they have consulted will announce if Louis Ross passes, but does LE usually give out that info, or is that info too prejudicial if/when a case goes to trial? (I do know that lie detector tests are not admitted in court :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361