Child bitten by rabid bat in WalMart pizza aisle

They have a special section which specifically covers injuries incurred by somewhat overweight older guys sorting through the Nestea section attempting to find caffeinated product and growing increasingly disturbed by finding only uncaffeinated, meanwhile accidentally knocking over a couple jars of the uncaffeinated stuff, then having to bend even lower to pick those up?? That'd be excellent!

In better news I did go down the pizza aisle twice without attracting the attention of any rabid bats.

I was just at Walmart and dang near got hit by one of the automated carts.. she ran over my foot. those carts are my pet peeves, so don't get me started. :banghead: and the fact that walmart won't widen the isles. Geezz...I have so derailed this thread so I'm gonna :silenced:

I used to work for an insurance company that handled liability claims on this sort of thing. Just judging by the way we handled things, Walmart wouldn't be at fault for this. There is nothing they could have done to prevent it - and they even said they had hired exterminators in the past. It sounds like they took precautions against this sort of thing. This didn't happen because they were negligent - it was simply a wild animal that ended up in the wrong place. Walmart isn't at fault for that... it isn't one of their pets gone on a rampage or something.

I don't think she would win this lawsuit. The only one to blame is the bat. If somebody walked up and slapped me upside the head in a Walmart store, I wouldn't blame Walmart for it. They probably never knew a bat was even in there... All they'd have to do is show the receipts from the exterminator jobs to prove they weren't negligent...

I do not know if they would have to have insurance for animal bites... but I bet that even if they did, this would be denied because they still aren't at fault here. It's almost one of those things that fall under "act of God" where they just refuse to pay. My car insurance wouldn't pay if I wasn't the one at fault - the other person's would have to. I've never had homeowner claims, so I don't know how those work, it may be different, but... Just because they have insurance doesn't mean they HAVE to cough up...

Also, the article makes it sound like Walmart is refusing to pay, but I'd bet a third-party claims adjuster denied this and the walmart store itself (and its management) had no say at all. It does say management is very concerned about the girl, but I don't think Walmart itself had anything to do with denying this - JMO, from my own experiences... However, I have seen a store (not Walmart, but a store we covered at my employer) step in and offer services even AFTER a denial, particularly if it is privately owned and not a corporate location... but it is on their own wallets.

I could be wrong. I was never an adjuster or handled the claims myself, but I listened to many nearby adjusters' telephone conversations over the years...

Your insurance would pay under your collision coverage even if you are at fault, but you would have to satisfy your deductible. After an investigation, if the other party was deemed at fault, your carrier would subrogate and IF you would be deemed not at fault it would not raise your premium. Also, the other party could lose their license for having no insurance. Your policy most likely also comes with Uninsured motorist cover up to a limit for medical bills for any passengers in your car, and you probably have a 5,000/3000 limit on U/M and $500/$1,000 for medical pay. I HTH

Isn't that a Ramones song?

And on the nun, I read that as "and a nun with a bat got the bat out of the child's hair."

Which immediately bested any of my friend Bob's tales of being beaten with metal rulers in Catholic school.

And on Sooner Fan #1's paying out on claims, I need a quick $$$ infusion after wrenching my good knee while leaning over in the iced tea aisle today, frantically looking for a jar that did contain caffeine. They were all out. Incredible. So I limped home and took a nap.

HAHA The check's in the mail and I'm going to mosey down to our pond and go fishing!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back